Building/Working My Installation vs. Participating in Others

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Building/Working My Installation vs. Participating in Others

Postby Rage » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:08 am

OK, I'm a convert. I've been swayed to the idea that the 'right' way to do BM is for the whole week and I'm trying to plan for that.

Still I'm beginning feel that the most rewarding involvement would be to contribute to the efforts of others projects rather than be tied down with my own. I'm trying to figure out the best way to bring my music to play at other peoples venues.

I guess with so much going on, I want to be involved with the learning and participating rather than be tied to my own installation.

Further, I think that my art contribution may be a light-up dancefloor that I can bring to someone's club installation. Using el-wire, a color organ and framed lightweight polycorbonite panels 4'x4' in size. I think I can build a 12'x12' dance floor that puts on a show of it's own to the music.
Rage

Postby Alpha » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:44 am

Cool idea, DJ... I think it's best anyway for first-timers to pair up with veterans so that you're not trying to build for something that you don't yet have a sense of. I hope someone can help you get teamed up with a music/dance camp!
Alpha

Excellent Idea!!!

Postby Rage » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:45 pm

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!
Rage

Postby blyslv » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:55 pm

Based on my own experience, try to hook up with a camp to channel your creative energies, rather then trying to do something on your own, esp. if you are coming from NYC. There is nothing sadder then a sound system pumping tunes into an empty night.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:10 pm

At some point "they" will start posting registered theme camps on the main website (and in Jackrabbit Speaks.) Many of these will have contact e-dresses. Also, post on the volenteer positions wanted sub forum (here's last year's viewforum.php?f=18 ) and read the volenteer needed subforum. I'd suggest talking with a few that catch your fancy, so that if one fall through (no that will never happen) you're not left adrift.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ronski » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:47 pm

blyslv wrote:There is nothing sadder then a sound system pumping tunes into an empty night.

Unless it's camp Dismal throwing those Sergio Leone spaghetti western themes out into the ether. Of course, that was mostly during the daytime...
ronski

Mobile art sound like more fun!

Postby Rage » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:18 am

My group is growing and we may have our own small trailer. I'm thinking that mobile art would be the best idea for us. Screw the installation this time around.
Rage

Return to Experiences at Burning Man