Camping alone

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Camping alone

Postby kellichandler01 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:30 pm

I am a first time burner this year who will be basically camping alone. Although I hope to meet up with friends upon arrival, they will have their own RV and am not quite sure if I will be able to find them. Plus to get the most out of the experience and meet other people like me - is anyone else out there burning alone? Would love to know I am not the only one.
kellichandler01

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Plenty of people camp alone.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:43 pm

This will be my second year and I'll be going solo...should prove to be an interesting year....eep
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby dr.placebo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:53 pm

I started by going solo, and I was not "alone" for long at all.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:58 pm

dr.placebo wrote:I started by going solo, and I was not "alone" for long at all.

Yepper, me too. Dive in!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby jpx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Over three years I've camped with a huge camp, with a medium camp, and solo, and solo was my favourite.

I camped in walk-in and would take people out to my camp and they would say ... Oooh ... it's so quiet...
for me and my true love will never meet again
jpx

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:21 pm

You will be so alone.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkXbzffVl44[/youtube]
;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Thecatman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 pm

I've gone solo in 04, 07, 08, & 09. This year I hope to meet up with somebody from work and his wife. They have an RV trailer/"toy hauler." They always arrive Sunday night
Volunteer while there.
Go to the meet and greet.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Elorrum » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:03 pm

solo works: Where the rubber of radical self reliance meets the road. You'll really only be alone when you are driving, and this means you can pee when you want. This will be year 4 for me. I have a neighborhood I'm returning to and am looking forward to meeting new and old friends. Say hi to your neighbors, and take it from there.
Elorrum

Postby Minxy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:21 pm

I LOVE going alone!

The first few years I went out by myself. I did camp near the woman who told me about Burning Man, but I was camping solo.

The last few years I've been going with my boyfriend (who I met at Burning Man!) in his RV and camping with his group of friends.

They are wonderful, quirky people and it IS convenient having a larger camp set-up with a kitchen, etc., and a RV to sleep in with all attendant luxuries...

However. I truly miss going alone!

It's sometimes annoying to me to be nagged by my camp mates (who ARE wonderful) that I'm not spending enough time hanging out in the "living room". I tend to get bored sitting around for hours staring at people going by on the street. The conversations in the heat of the day with camp mates who are frequently not sober are not always the most stimulating and I've found myself resenting the expectation that I should sit there and socialize more when I want to be DOING SOMETHING! Or quietly recharging so I can go DO SOMETHING! :D

I've politely set my boundaries and I believe they think I'm a bit eccentric (rofl if that's possible at BM) for not wanting to hang out there with everyone.

Long story short (I'm rambling) it can be VERY nice to go solo. Your time is completely your own, you can go where you want, when you want and fully enjoy Burning Man in YOUR way without other people's expectations hanging you up. And you won't be lonely, lol, trust me. If you talk to folks you will likely meet plenty of new friends and find people to hang with. :)

You're always welcome to come visit my camp if you need to connect with someone! Feel free to PM me. :)
Minxy

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:50 pm

I've gone to BM in about every possible combination of solo/with GF and theme camp/no theme camp.
It has worked out well every way, but I can say the only times I did have any trouble were NOT the times I went by myself!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby jets » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:25 pm

I went alone my first year, and I camped with Stag Camp - a camp for Burners who go alone and who want to be with other solo Burners. And it's my home on the playa :)

Check us out. Stop by. Stay a while.

http://stagcamp.proboards.com/index.cgi?
jets

Postby accordionMan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:32 pm

For the past 11 years I've gone either alone or with my son or one of his friends. The thing that I like about doing it alone is that you have NO responsibilities to anyone but yourself.

Also you will meet so many folks that you don't have to be alone at anytime if you don't want to be.

If things work out I will return again this year and I will be alone... and loving it.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby accordionMan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:32 pm

The only thing that I miss, is my wife when I go by myself. But other than that point, I enjoy not having any responsibilities.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby MatthewHuntley » Sat May 08, 2010 3:50 am

I find it more relaxing going solo than with a group of people. Only have to look after yourself plus you get some peace and quiete that you don't get at home.
<a href="http://honestreview4u.com/hydroxycut">Hydroxycut</a> | <a href="http://honestreview4u.com/extenze">Extenze</a>
MatthewHuntley

Postby CLARKcon » Sun May 09, 2010 6:13 pm

One year I'd like to go it alone (not this year ,though, as we seem to get an additional member/1st timer each year :) ) I enjoy my alone time very much in the default world, and love having that first cup of coffee on the playa by myself- just soaking up the atmosphere & the etheral energy around me, gets me jumpstarted for the day :P
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

You do have another choice, even this late in the game

Postby Susieclue b » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:02 pm

If you'd rather not camp solo, send me an email susieclue@aol.com. I'm a 12 year burner with a small group of friends who gather yearly on the playa.
Susieclue b
Camp Mom
Black Rock Fun Jet Camp
Snowflake Village
Black Rock City, Nevada
12 year participant and counting
Susieclue b

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:50 pm

accordionMan wrote:The only thing that I miss, is my wife when I go by myself. But other than that point, I enjoy not having any responsibilities.

Thats funny, I miss your wife when your home... :twisted:
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby Clar-i-ty » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Thoreau had the right idea
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Clar-i-ty » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 pm

accordionMan wrote:The only thing that I miss, is my wife when I go by myself. But other than that point, I enjoy not having any responsibilities.

Agreed. Last year was my first burn without kids, and it was so different just being on my own.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Ithaca » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:05 pm

im new here. I just joined the eplaya and 2010 will be my very first burn.
I will also be camping alone. I had planned to go with some friends but, you know, plans change, people change. so on and so forth.
from some of the things i have read so far, it doesnt sound nearly as worrying as i was originally thinking, quite the opposite in fact. it almost sounds better.
best of luck to you. see you out there!

Ithaca
Ithaca

Postby Kinetik V » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Oops, crosspost. Damn Firefox strikes again.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Loner, NOT Lonely

Postby TobeWilde » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:54 pm

I am camping alone...but know my time and tent/shade will be filled with friends and non-genetic fam soon enough. Love doing it alone, makes me feel strong -- RAWR -- and I hate babysitting others who want me to go with 'em here and there...wanna do my own thing. BUT I also volunteer and thats the coolest :D
<b>October Wilde - <i>"Tobe"</i></b>
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>
TobeWilde

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Hey neighbor! (Ellorum) I'll be back in the same 'hood this year as well.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 am

Bounce530 wrote:Hey neighbor! (Ellorum) I'll be back in the same 'hood this year as well.

cool! I'll be there!
Elorrum

Postby Katka » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:06 pm

How do you volunteer?

I am camping alone, too, this year, not by plan, but its just how its turning out.

The only scary thing is not having men/people-of-stature to help with building camp, pardon my sexism. Time to get self-reliant I guess. :D
Katka

Postby Katka » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:07 pm

oops double post
Katka

Postby Brooks_DallasTX » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Katka wrote:How do you volunteer?

I am camping alone, too, this year, not by plan, but its just how its turning out.

The only scary thing is not having men/people-of-stature to help with building camp, pardon my sexism. Time to get self-reliant I guess. :D

I (and many others) will be glad to help out. Just ask your neighbors. There should be no shortage.
Normal is boring.
Brooks_DallasTX

Solo is great

Postby Brooks_DallasTX » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:56 pm

This is my first time, and I came very close to going solo. Having no responsiblity and not having to discuss or compromise on where to go and what to do is great. I've done it many times and there's always help nearby if you need it.

In the end, I decided to join an established camp to be part of an experienced group, meet new folks and lessen the need to be 100% self reliant.
Normal is boring.
Brooks_DallasTX

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:17 am

You can volenteer by going to center camp (playa info?) and getting sent somewhere. Sort of a step up from the hispanics waiting in the home despot parking lot.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man