NEVADA DRUG LAWS - PSILOSYBIN - 'MAGIC' MUSHROOMS

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby burnvirg2010 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:47 pm

lambert13 wrote:Thanks for the info. I hope it can help people make the "right" decisions as to what they carry with them.

I do not partake in drugs at all (aside from prescriptions) but I am 100% in favor of drug law reform and/or elimination. A 10 year sentence for possessing something that occurs naturally is absolutely ridiculous, barbaric and against what this country is supposed to stand for.

Here in New York I have seen too many cases of horrific child abuse that garnered a prison sentence not even 1/4 of that. How is that justified?

Our fearless leaders will be more than happy to let you drink yourself to death or pay fortunes on prescription drugs whose side effects and dangers often are way above and beyond that of illegal drugs. But heaven forbid you want to smoke the leaves of a plant (unless it is Tobacco), pick a few mushrooms out of a pile of cow shit, use the sap from a poppy flower like people have been doing since the birth of man or any of hundreds of other natural remedies. Do that and you are an enemy of the state. It is bullshit and it has to stop.

I read eplaya a lot - barely post. I really appreciate this post. It's nice to hear when non-drug users recognize the futile, inhumane barbarism that is the War on Drugs.

I get tired of replies to topics like this in the vein of "if you're going to be 'stupid' and use illegal drugs, you get what you deserve."

NOBODY deserves prison time or any sort of legal punishment whatsoever for exercising individual freedom and domain over their own body.

If it weren't for these cruel drug laws, the U.S. law enforcement community would be half it's current size, and there would be no such thing as prison overcrowding or people being killed in violent, unwarranted, paramilitary-style police raids.

If you think cops with night vision goggles at Burning Man are making the world a safer and more just place, explain why. If you don't, speak up. Don't apathetically accept it as a fact of life, because there are tens of thousands of harmless Americans with kids and families rotting in prison cells right now. Some of them are probably brilliant people.
burnvirg2010

Postby Fire_Moose » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:22 pm

burnvirg2010 wrote:
lambert13 wrote:Thanks for the info. I hope it can help people make the "right" decisions as to what they carry with them.

I do not partake in drugs at all (aside from prescriptions) but I am 100% in favor of drug law reform and/or elimination. A 10 year sentence for possessing something that occurs naturally is absolutely ridiculous, barbaric and against what this country is supposed to stand for.

Here in New York I have seen too many cases of horrific child abuse that garnered a prison sentence not even 1/4 of that. How is that justified?

Our fearless leaders will be more than happy to let you drink yourself to death or pay fortunes on prescription drugs whose side effects and dangers often are way above and beyond that of illegal drugs. But heaven forbid you want to smoke the leaves of a plant (unless it is Tobacco), pick a few mushrooms out of a pile of cow shit, use the sap from a poppy flower like people have been doing since the birth of man or any of hundreds of other natural remedies. Do that and you are an enemy of the state. It is bullshit and it has to stop.

I read eplaya a lot - barely post. I really appreciate this post. It's nice to hear when non-drug users recognize the futile, inhumane barbarism that is the War on Drugs.

I get tired of replies to topics like this in the vein of "if you're going to be 'stupid' and use illegal drugs, you get what you deserve."

NOBODY deserves prison time or any sort of legal punishment whatsoever for exercising individual freedom and domain over their own body.

If it weren't for these cruel drug laws, the U.S. law enforcement community would be half it's current size, and there would be no such thing as prison overcrowding or people being killed in violent, unwarranted, paramilitary-style police raids.

If you think cops with night vision goggles at Burning Man are making the world a safer and more just place, explain why. If you don't, speak up. Don't apathetically accept it as a fact of life, because there are tens of thousands of harmless Americans with kids and families rotting in prison cells right now. Some of them are probably brilliant people.

Natural Selection my good friend. We cannot have every single person who enjoys a little extra stimulus and break a little free doing it all the time. Sure there will be a couple of gems cast into a deep pit and lost forever but for every good one lost, one and a half good ones are born.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Isotopia » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:08 pm

I've always found it interesting that with just a few weeks before the event that these particular drug-themed threads start popping up with an inordinate amount of interest by newly subscribed folks to this board.

Not that I see a conspiracy in every shadow or such but it does give pause to wonder.... why all the interest just now?

Don't be stupid.

Don't brag/talk/spill the beans.

Don't invite strangers.

Say NO to strangers.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Don't do it in public - regardless of the number of people surrounding you.

Have a good time.
Isotopia

Postby Packoderm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:23 pm

burnvirg2010 wrote:

Packoderm

Postby Isotopia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Just don't do drugs. You don't do drugs you don't find yourself getting in trouble.

Isotopia

Postby penrose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:Natural Selection my good friend. We cannot have every single person who enjoys a little extra stimulus and break a little free doing it all the time. Sure there will be a couple of gems cast into a deep pit and lost forever but for every good one lost, one and a half good ones are born.

Yes, and better to execute a few of the innocent than let any murderers go free.

Isotopia wrote:Just don't do drugs. You don't do drugs you don't find yourself getting in trouble.

Indeed, don't break any law, anywhere, ever. You might accidentally change the world and we wouldn't want that.

burnvirg2010 wrote:NOBODY deserves prison time or any sort of legal punishment whatsoever for exercising individual freedom and domain over their own body.

Amen.
penrose

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:00 am

burnvirg2010 wrote:I get tired of replies to topics like this in the vein of "if you're going to be 'stupid' and use illegal drugs, you get what you deserve."

And I get tired of reading posts of people thinking that Burning Man is some kind of Utopian society where the laws of the state of Nevada and the federal government do not apply. Its a camping trip in the desert with a lot of law enforcement in attendance.

Yes, the drug laws and their results are draconian legislative morality at its finest, but the fact remains, those laws are on the books and they will be enforced if your dumb ass blazes up in front of a representative of the law enforcement community.

Whining and crying about the cops raining on your parade because you were stupid and got busted on a message board will not do jack shit to change any of it either.

Iso summed it up quite nicely and I feel the urger to reiterate that wisdom:

Don't be stupid.

Don't brag/talk/spill the beans.

Don't invite strangers.

Say NO to strangers.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Don't do it in public - regardless of the number of people surrounding you.

If you get busted for drugs on the Playa you broke one or many of the above guidelines.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:54 am

The number of them is ludicrously over the top.
And yet, they seem totally ineffectual at crimes like theft.
Being too stupid or incompetent to deal with theft makes them look like keystone cops.
I imagine thieves have a good hearty laugh at the police presence.

If I wanted to do drugs in public, I'd do them in reno during the burn.
gyre

Postby moonrise » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:13 am

Jus a little common sense here from a simpleton border state resident NV/CA..and don't get scared BUT;

*ever since recession less tourists to "pick off" driving from reno back to sacramento/bay area BECAUSE less people can afford to gamble and drive home DRINK/SPEEDING/SWERVING/ANGRY from losing money gambling, bla bla bla...soooo cops are going after whoever they can (got their claws into a local PRIEST! and won't let go currently) so drive back CAREFULLY KIDS! Reno to SF is called "Sacramento corridor" and known as DUI/SPEEDING CAPITOL of CA! NASTY! Even if just speeding! Less pissed off losers...you're more apt to be a target, ok? (could mildly apply to vc vs also)

*ever since recession cops DESPERATE for MONEY and fresh FLESH for gray bar hotels! BEHAVE BEST YA CAN, IN OR OUT OF THE TRASH FENCE, WASH THE TELL TALE DUST OF THAT BURNER VEHICLE ASAP & DRIVE BACK CAREFULLY NO MATTER WHICH WAY YOU'RE HEADED!!

*ever since recession any law enforcement is DESPERATE for MONEY and FRESH FLESH for gray bar hotels...get it? even if just for speeding! or maybe just for laughing out loud.

*to the ONE OR???? in a gazillion cops reading this, SHAME ON YOU!

PS Save the snark! AND beware in ENTIRE USA! No matter where you are!

PPS That's enough for now...just KNOW YOU'RE F'IN RIGHTS! Local kind hearted birgin givin' ya all damned GOOD ADVICE! TIMES ARE A CHANGED! ASSUME ALLLLLLLL LEOs ARE DESPERATE!

ppps can look up sneaky "check points" online also..leos just wanna be sure everyone is safe, LIARS! Try to stay off side streets! slow down in construction zones, look out, ever since 9/11 they do NOT have to be marked copmobiles....worse than the 1950's! Also allowed to hide in shadows, etc...speeding tickets galore and dear god, I hope not worse!

pppps SAVE that money for the NEXT BURN! ~)'(~
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby kman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 am

burnvirg2010 wrote:

I will say I fully support the war on hard drugs, however, which destroy the body, fuck the brain (in a bad way) and create a physical dependency that overrides rational thought. Referring to cocaine, crack, heroin, meth, stuff like that.

Non-addictive psychedelics (and marijuana) simply fall into an entirely different category, and do not warrant the massive law enforcement dollars spent on their eradication.

If only marijuana was legalized, the legal industry could take over, cutting off a MAJOR source of funding for the cartels, and drastically reducing their ability to buy their way into our country to smuggle in the hard stuff. People who smoke weed aren't violent, in general... Drug dealers are. The schizophrenic nature of the drug laws in this country is obscene... feel free to fuck your mind beyond recognition with alcohol, and poison your body with tobacco smoke to get that nicotine high (or rather, to prevent nicotine withdrawal symptoms), but smoke a joint on your front porch while a cop drives by, and your ass is going to jail? :x
kman

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:52 am

kman wrote:
If only marijuana was legalized, the legal industry could take over, cutting off a MAJOR source of funding for the cartels, and drastically reducing their ability to buy their way into our country to smuggle in the hard stuff. People who smoke weed aren't violent, in general... Drug dealers are. The schizophrenic nature of the drug laws in this country is obscene... feel free to fuck your mind beyond recognition with alcohol, and poison your body with tobacco smoke to get that nicotine high (or rather, to prevent nicotine withdrawal symptoms), but smoke a joint on your front porch while a cop drives by, and your ass is going to jail? :x

They also can't be the ones standing up for weed legalization ;) Jus' Sayin'
Fire_Moose

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:37 am

kman wrote:I will say I fully support the war on hard drugs, however, which destroy the body, fuck the brain (in a bad way) and create a physical dependency that overrides rational thought. Referring to cocaine, crack, heroin, meth, stuff like that.

A lot of the problems with cocaine, crack & heroin come from purity issues, not the drug compounds themselves (meth is a different story). Legalizing them would

1) bring the purity level up. People could choose how much they wanted, & know how much their actually getting (beer & wine vs. everclear). The nasty toxins wouldn't be used- except for tobacco, like always.

2) bring the price down. Less expensive drugs would do away with a lot (not all) of property crimes. Cheaper drugs, the addict doesn't need as much money to get them.

3) bring down the level of use. There would be an initial surge, but just like alcohol since prohibition, once it becomes part of normal society the usage gets regulated by society. If you're a sloppy drunk at the wedding you get shunned....

4) increase the level of addiction treatment. Once use is legal, people are more likely to realize they have a problem- again, see alcohol since prohibition ended.

5) increased revenue. The billions spent on an unwinnable war on drugs would no longer be spent, plus, like alcohol & cigarettes, the government would be earning tax revenue from the sale of them

6) would cut down gang violence. No more drugs to control, no need for the massive turf battles. Gangs didn't get extremely bad until the war on drugs started, they were a local, not national issue

7) police could start solving real crimes- rape, murder, robberies...

Any issue that has criminal gangs & the police both on the same side against legalization...... sure looks like something needs to be fixed.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby kman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 am

Fire_Moose wrote:
kman wrote:

You lost me on that one, moosie. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Although I'll add this: More than just "weed users" support legalization of marijuana.
kman

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Simple.
Create a black market, destroy a country.

The military has used this for many years

The argument used to get prohibition was 'Protect the children'.
It was used more effectively to end it.
gyre

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:56 pm

kman wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:
kman wrote:

You lost me on that one, moosie. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Although I'll add this: More than just "weed users" support legalization of marijuana.

That's kinda what i was saying. But we need to STOP yer everyday stoner from being the legalization advocate.

"it's good for you maaan"
/puff
"This stuff REALLY helps with my....my violent nature, ya know?"
Fire_Moose

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man