NEVADA DRUG LAWS - PSILOSYBIN - 'MAGIC' MUSHROOMS

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

NEVADA DRUG LAWS - PSILOSYBIN - 'MAGIC' MUSHROOMS

Postby MsKinetik » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:16 am

Dear fellow Burners: This is my gift to the Burning Man community. I want to share this information so people are aware of Nevada’s Zero-tolerance policy and exceptionally high penalties for Magic Mushrooms. I learned the HARD way.

There are people who are in prison for YEARS to LIFE because of possession of Magic Mushrooms in the State of Nevada. People need to know about Nevada’s psilocybin laws because they are far more strict than you would ever guess:

Nevada Legal Penalties for possession of psilocybin mushrooms: (this comes straight from a Nevada attorney.

Level 0: From possession of EVEN A CAP OR A STEM TO 1/8 oz is an automatic FELONY charge. You are looking at a minimum cost of 7k to deal with bail, legal expenses, court fines etc. Not to mention you could do up to 1 year in jail even on a first offense with no prior criminal record.

Level 1:
(1/8 - 1/2 oz or 4-14 grams) is the legal equivalent to 100 lbs of marijuana! Any quantity of 1/8th oz or over is considered a FELONY CHARGE and is an AUTOMATIC DRUG TRAFFICKING CHARGE, EVEN IF THEY ARE FOR YOUR OWN CONSUMPTION AND IN ONE BAG.. IT IS STILL A DRUG TRAFFICKING CHARGE! The penalty for this is MANDATORY 1-6 YEARS IN PRISON WITH NO CHANCE OF PROBATION! EVEN ON FIRST OFFENSE WITH NO PRIOR CRIMINAL RECORD!

Level 2:
(1/2 - 1 oz or 14-28 grams) AUTOMATIC FELONY CHARGE WITH MANDATORY 2-15 YEAR PRISON SENTENCE WITH NO CHANCE OF PROBATION) EVEN ON FIRST OFFENSE WITH NO PRIOR CRIMINAL RECORD!

Level 3:
(Any quantity of 1 oz or more) AUTOMATIC FELONY CHARGE. 10 YEAR MANDATORY PRISON SENTENCE WITH NO CHANCE OF PROBATION! EVEN ON FIRST OFFENSE WITH NO PRIOR CRIMINAL RECORD!

POSSESSION OF ANY ILLEGAL DRUG IN ANY QUANTITY IS AUTOMATICALLY A FELONY CHARGE IN EVERY STATE! THIS IS FEDERAL LAW! (Nevada's exception to this rule is less than 1/8 oz of Marijuana is a misdemeanor.)

'Magic' mushrooms are commonly viewed as an 'earthy' and 'natural' drug that is non-addictive and non-lethal as long as you ingest the right kind. This is why it is SO important for people to know the laws for this specific drug. Many people think of it as a natural and soft drug, However, in the eyes of the law, it is considered as serious as any hard drug.

There is a common mis-perception that Nevada is a 'laid-back' state. When you consider that gambling and prostitution are legal and that Burning Man is held there... MANY people get the impression that Nevada will be laid back about drugs laws also.

WHEN IN FACT, NEVADA HAS A ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY REGARDING DRUGS. What this means is if you get busted in Nevada for possession... you are in serious trouble.

Drug charges can haunt you for many years and cause potential problems with getting jobs, getting loans, renting apartments etc. Any drug charge will show up on your record and you will have to disclose this information EVER TIME you go on a job interview for 7 years, until you can legally expunge it.

I thought 'shrooms' were harmless. Well from a LEGAL standpoint alone...they are VERY POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS.

These laws may seem ridiculous and outrageous but that doesn't change the laws.
MsKinetik

Postby lambert13 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 am

Thanks for the info. I hope it can help people make the "right" decisions as to what they carry with them.

I do not partake in drugs at all (aside from prescriptions) but I am 100% in favor of drug law reform and/or elimination. A 10 year sentence for possessing something that occurs naturally is absolutely ridiculous, barbaric and against what this country is supposed to stand for.

Here in New York I have seen too many cases of horrific child abuse that garnered a prison sentence not even 1/4 of that. How is that justified?

Our fearless leaders will be more than happy to let you drink yourself to death or pay fortunes on prescription drugs whose side effects and dangers often are way above and beyond that of illegal drugs. But heaven forbid you want to smoke the leaves of a plant (unless it is Tobacco), pick a few mushrooms out of a pile of cow shit, use the sap from a poppy flower like people have been doing since the birth of man or any of hundreds of other natural remedies. Do that and you are an enemy of the state. It is bullshit and it has to stop.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby Isotopia » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Dear fellow Burners: This is my gift to the Burning Man community. I want to share this information so people are aware of Nevada’s Zero-tolerance policy and exceptionally high penalties for Magic Mushrooms. I learned the HARD way.

I like it when people gift clues to the people who don't have one..
Isotopia

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:21 pm

whoa whoa whoa.....wait.

You can get in trouble if a cop finds illegal stuff on you?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Isotopia » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 pm

It's true Moose.
Isotopia

Postby ibdave » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Isotopia wrote:It's true Moose.

and folks, that was "Isotopia".
Iso is a god or is it goddess??
Never know around this group... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby epic_elite » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:44 pm

why would we need this information?

no one uses illegal substances at Burning Man...
epic_elite

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:05 pm

ibdave wrote:
Isotopia wrote:It's true Moose.

and folks, that was "Isotopia".
Iso is a god or is it goddess??
Never know around this group... 8) 8) 8)

E-goddess, I believe, may be the term you are searching for....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby MsKinetik » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 pm

No shit drugs are illegal. That's not really the point.

The point is that many people do not know how severe the punishment is for Mushrooms. A lot of people consider it similar to marijuana and have no idea how serious this is.

I appreciate the sincere posts and replies on here.

It's sad to see people posting BS on here that pretty much defeats the whole point of this 'Community Board'. You are actually defeating the purpose of this site which is to facilitate community issues.
MsKinetik

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:57 am

actually, all these "BS" posts you are whining about are doing your cause good. You see, every time someone posts something, even a "BS post", your thread goes to the top of the list (until the next post/response comes in, then you are #2, and every other post goes down one). So the chances that someone who NEEDS this information will actually see it are improved.

Besides, YOUR vision of what Eplaya is "for" is yours and yours alone. Thanks for the info, but no thanks on your conditions. If you don't like how the "community" is using your gift, you can always take it back and leave.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 am

I am confused.

If I have 3/4 of an ounce of mushrooms, mixed in with 2 pounds of chocolate, am I still gonna hafta go to the pokey ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:12 am

only if you dont share them.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 am

MsKinetik wrote:It's sad to see people posting BS on here that pretty much defeats the whole point of this 'Community Board'. You are actually defeating the purpose of this site which is to facilitate community issues.

Ya guys! name ONE good community where no one shills any bullshit. Way to ruin my e-burn jerks!
Fire_Moose

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:51 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I am confused.

If I have 3/4 of an ounce of mushrooms, mixed in with 2 pounds of chocolate, am I still gonna hafta go to the pokey ?

it may depend on the orofice used for said chocolates, and, who's doin' it.

just sayin'.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: NEVADA DRUG LAWS - PSILOSYBIN - 'MAGIC' MUSHROOMS

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:27 am

MsKinetik wrote:Level 1:
(1/8 - 1/2 oz or 4-14 grams) is the legal equivalent to 100 lbs of marijuana! Any quantity of 1/8th oz or over is considered a FELONY CHARGE and is an AUTOMATIC DRUG TRAFFICKING CHARGE, EVEN IF THEY ARE FOR YOUR OWN CONSUMPTION AND IN ONE BAG.. IT IS STILL A DRUG TRAFFICKING CHARGE! The penalty for this is MANDATORY 1-6 YEARS IN PRISON WITH NO CHANCE OF PROBATION! EVEN ON FIRST OFFENSE WITH NO PRIOR CRIMINAL RECORD!

Level 2:
(1/2 - 1 oz or 14-28 grams) AUTOMATIC FELONY CHARGE WITH MANDATORY 2-15 YEAR PRISON SENTENCE WITH NO CHANCE OF PROBATION) EVEN ON FIRST OFFENSE WITH NO PRIOR CRIMINAL RECORD!

Level 3:
(Any quantity of 1 oz or more) AUTOMATIC FELONY CHARGE. 10 YEAR MANDATORY PRISON SENTENCE WITH NO CHANCE OF PROBATION! EVEN ON FIRST OFFENSE WITH NO PRIOR CRIMINAL RECORD!

these over lap...if i have 14grams is it level one or 2?
Fire_Moose

Postby TomServo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 am

I think at 14 grams, its up to the arresting officer or DA, as to how your charged. I was arrested on a misdemeanor firearms violation, but when the DA got wind of it...because an assuault weapon was involved(in California no less) they bumped it up to a felony...and tacked on two more bullshit charges. Eventually settled for a reduction to the original misdemeanor...but was still a fucking nightmare. Not doing that again!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Yea, true. Nevada has always been very anti-drug. And for charges, watch one of those "law & order" shows. It may be theater, but that kinda political bullshit really does go on in the DA's office.
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby pinemom » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:20 am

Hmmm.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:03 am

I ate the wierdest candy yesterday. Oh, the candy was kinda mundane actually, some variation on stale rabbit nougat, but it had an over-the-top picture of a rabbit carrying an Aminita ascaria mushroom like it was an umbrella.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby teardropper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:08 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I am confused.

Mmm... chocolate.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I ate the wierdest candy yesterday. Oh, the candy was kinda mundane actually, some variation on stale rabbit nougat, but it had an over-the-top picture of a rabbit carrying an Aminita ascaria mushroom like it was an umbrella.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/amanitas/a ... _law.shtml
Amanita muscaria (as well as all other Amanita species) is uncontrolled federally in the United States. This means all parts of the plant and its extracts are legal to cultivate, buy, possess, and distribute (sell, trade or give) without a license or prescription. If sold as a supplement, sales must conform to U.S. supplement laws. If sold for consumption as a food or drug, sales are regulated by the FDA.

Mycologically, Amanitas are dangerous. Identical species of A muscaria may be harmless if gathered at one place and deadly if gathered elsewhere.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:56 am

Okay. What is the classic white on red spotted magic mushroom? Fly agaric?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Lowz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 am

it hurts, but thanks for sharing MsKinetik
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay. What is the classic white on red spotted magic mushroom? Fly agaric?

Right. Mostly.

A mycologist I know cautions me against taking chances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:A mycologist I know cautions me against taking chances.

Don't listen to him. You don't need a liver and a painful, prolonged death is the only one worth having.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 pm

^^^

+1
Fire_Moose

Postby bauhaus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:17 pm

just keep everything in your prison wallet. :wink:
bauhaus

Postby Homiesinheaven » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:32 am

i smell bacon, who let the narc in?
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby dj_john69 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:26 pm

and today's lesson is if you plan on doing drugs...DON'T GET CAUGHT or eat them really fast to eliminate the evidence. :lol:

Hey OP...did you get busted at BM ?? Please fill us in on some details. Were you set up or just being stupid when you got caught.

By the way, Nevada is the worst when you get busted with drugs but it's still better than getting caught with drugs in Dubai.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby Smitty650 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:21 am

Smitty650

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man