Dont visit the Springs in 2003 - Complete BULLSHIT

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby Badger » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:15 pm

ALLANON02,

I'll ask that you retract the following statement or provide proof.

Quote:
thnaks fo rdoingwhat is right. takes a while. but thanks for being a good admin and standignup for your rules and regulations. wish it occured when badger and his sock threaetned and blackmail
me. well tried.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Tancorix » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:23 pm

admin wrote:Citing Section 7. e of the TOS, I have deactivated Allanon03. If anyone has an issue with this, feel free to dicuss it with me in the Case Studies thread under Eplaya feedback, where I will post this action in a moment.

~technopatra~

Well...here we go again. Doesn't Section 7.e cover this latest occurance? And if A3 was given the boot, why not apply the same standards to A2?

Imho, it's type to start singing the bye song.
Tancorix

Postby KellY » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:28 pm

Oh, then he'll just start Al5 or whatever. Anyone can just reregister with a different name, so kicking people off just seems a phyrric gesture.

Oh, and by the way A2, the new coldwater trench isn't Frog Pond.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

well is what supposed to be agreeing

Postby allanon2 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:20 pm

[i just misspelled it.
agreeing

quote="theCryptofishist"]
allanon2 wrote:agreign

Does anyone else find the use of this term insluting?[/quote]
allanon2

that becuase a2 is me

Postby allanon2 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:21 pm

if you read the past you woudl see that A3 was against me.

and if you looked at the IP logs you would see i never even got close to the times when A# posted.

Tancorix wrote:
admin wrote:Citing Section 7. e of the TOS, I have deactivated Allanon03. If anyone has an issue with this, feel free to dicuss it with me in the Case Studies thread under Eplaya feedback, where I will post this action in a moment.

~technopatra~

Well...here we go again. Doesn't Section 7.e cover this latest occurance? And if A3 was given the boot, why not apply the same standards to A2?

Imho, it's type to start singing the bye song.
allanon2

well i said that I did not take the statment later as a thre

Postby allanon2 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:35 pm

and it coudl have been concieved that way. That is why i said well tried but it didn't quiet make the muster that i wanted to pursue.

I just said it looks liek its been solved and therefore I will not take it as a threat. I have had 2 other people in non public discourse said they think that allanon 3 was also Badger. It wasn't until now that someoen actualy had the nerve to mention it in public.
It was Alalnon 3 said he woudl blackmail me if I did not back down. The only comment that you gave that could be taken as a threat was the one about getting rid of me or something about a dog or soemthign like that. it wasn't a good threat. But allanon 3 said i should die and also attempted to blackmail me. So unless you are allanon 3. (I am still withholding judgment but the admin here can know for sure, I personanly dont care if you are allanon 3 or not. All i care aobut is the truth.

and Badger I did not say that Allanon 3 was a sock of yours. i was agreeing with what someoen else said. DVD Burner. He is the one that defamned you if you are truly not allanon 3.

I committed no liable but was onyl repsonding to what someoen else said and said thanks. its weird that someoen actualy defended me. I wanted to make sure i said thank you.

Here is the message i was repsonding to and then the one posted by the Admin saying they deleted Alaanon3 account.

DVD Burner wrote:

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:03 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allanon03 is Badgers sock. seriously.

as Allanon03 he is being facetious. Not even good at being a sock.

I did a better job.

Badger wrote:ALLANON02,

I'll ask that you retract the following statement or provide proof.

Quote:
thnaks fo rdoingwhat is right. takes a while. but thanks for being a good admin and standignup for your rules and regulations. wish it occured when badger and his sock threaetned and blackmail
me. well tried.
allanon2

Postby Badger » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:42 pm

My request is simple.

I did not request excuses or explanations.

I want a retraction.

I want an apology.

The above post is neither.

The clock is ticking.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:56 pm

allanon2 wrote:[i just misspelled it.
agreeing

quote="theCryptofishist"]
allanon2 wrote:agreign

Does anyone else find the use of this term insluting?
[/quote]When will we have the plonk feature so I can be edited out of his reality?

*sigh*
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

thank you III and KellY.

Postby boarhead » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:59 am

KellY and III's excellent posts should have saved this thread from spiriling into the normal pissin match, but it happened anyway. lol. As for the environment out there, IMHO, it's a friggen blasted landscape that no amount of human intervention could make worse. lmfao.

If you have contradicting or corroborating evidence great, offer it up, otherwise shut it up. Simply calling the poster clueless/stupid/etc. (no matter how close to the mark) doesn't benefit anyone.

---
there are a number of springs at the site called frog pond. it is private land, and it and its water rights are currently leased by brcllc. the dpw engaged in some dredging and clearing at the site to provide access to cold water artesian wells which previously just ran off into the brush. these cold springs (which are near, but separate from the hot spring at that site) are the source for most of the water used for dust abatement at burning man.

Ditto what Trey said. There is a new cold-water well/trench that was dug recently, which I am pretty damn sure the event uses for water for the roads (it's also nice to swim in ). As for damaging the ecosystem, the only difference I see is that there's a whole lot of new plant life around the trench area now that the water has been brought to the surface.
---
boarhead

Postby polzicons » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:34 am

I'd hate to "Badger" a "Bigmouth" but how does drawing water from a spring into a tank, be it on 4 wheels, differ at all from the nearby Rancher's water troughs? Would it be better if we just sprinkled fancy French spring water (from non-returnable bottles) onto the Playa to keep the dust down? If the water trucks filled up at hydrants, where does that water come from? I was agast at the image I got of a giant pipeline sucking some virgin oasis dry, but after the initial horror wore off I realized that this was someone else's paraniod vision. What I see throughout rural Nevada tells me that every drop of water counts. So if a person with a spring on private property hires a backhoe to dig a ditch and allows water trucks to fill up there, that's no crime committed by Black Rock LLC! Would it be more to your taste if they used reverse osmosis and bottled it as "natural" Spring Water before spraying it on the playa? If a local "oasis" had been bulldozed and all the water sucked out I could see the argument. I also see how the BMan could become all that it claims to shun, but as long as the BLM is happy (remember the Hot Springs closed down for the Dace Fish?) we're still doing a pretty good job not shitting where we sleep! But that's just my opinion, thank you for listening. :lol:
-POL
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby polzicons » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:14 am

:?: By the way, what's a "sock?" Do you mean a sock-pupet, as in an easily manipulated individual, or like a dirty sock you wipe your ass with if there's no TP at the truck stop, or like something a guy in a joke about 3 Nuns and a Rabi uses to conceal his masterbation? If you're going to call someone a "sock" in a public forum, I think that you ought to be very sure that everyone knows exactly what you mean! :?: -POL
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby III » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:26 am

>>IMHO, it's a friggen blasted landscape that no amount of human intervention could make worse

just because it looks barren does not mean that it's ecologically ignoreable. there *is* wildlife, both on and around the playa. the deveopment at frog pond has only served to support that wildlife, and thr lnt efforts practiced by burning man minimize the impact of participants on the rest of the area.
III

Postby Tancorix » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:32 am

>>IMHO, it's a friggen blasted landscape that no amount of human intervention could make worse

That's precisely the attitude that has made BLM lands ripe for abuse from mines and other problems. Thankfully other people have been able to have some of that "friggen blasted landscape" designated as wilderness areas to protect it.

And this board seriously needs a plonker. Preferably as soon as it's technically possible to get it in place.
Tancorix

Postby Zephryus » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:45 am

[Answered sock question in PM.]

My off-topic newbie question is: How does this fabled "Plonker" work, exactly? I tried doing a google search and all I came up with was British slang.
Zephryus

Postby Tancorix » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:47 am

My intrepretation of "plonker"...it's a utility of plugin that allows you to filter out posts by particular individuals. It's kind of a snooty holier than thou thing as it allows you to block people's views you object to. But it's purpose here would be blocking the rambling posts of people some find objectionable like A2, A3, DF, and even me.
Tancorix

Postby Alpha » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:53 am

You would plonk yourself?
Alpha

Postby Tancorix » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:01 am

No I won't plonk myself but I'd be in the top 5 list of plonkees for everyone else.
Tancorix

Postby polzicons » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:01 am

:shock: "Plonk!" ...Hey! :oops: -Pol
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:57 am

Tancorix wrote: I'd be in the top 5 list of plonkees for everyone else.
Everyone? NOt only do I have less than 5 on my list, but you aren't even on it. (And no arguing that that means you could be next on my list but not above the "Plonk Line."
theCryptofishist

Postby JoLo » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:23 pm

You people are hilarious!

Do you carry on like this in your non-virtual relationships? Or do you save the hostility for when you are safely in front of a computer screen where no one can break your nose for being bratty, self-rightous crybabies? (that is not a threat by any means, in case someone wants to plonk me or get my account deleted by an admin).

Maybe, as a BM virgin, I may not be qualified, in your opinion, to say this, but I thought the whole philosophy behind BM was for all sorts of disparate personalities, opinions, occupations, strengths and weaknesses to be able to come together to form a harmonious community.

If you don't like what someone says, why not just state your contrary opinion, and let whatever superfluous abuse they offer just roll off your back? (as I surely will have to do after posting this!) Or, better yet, try to see the validity in what they say so you can come together on the common ground, rather than fighting over the differences?

Whatever. I just couldn't help but laugh as I read deeper and deeper into this thread.

Oh yeah, I too would like to know the meaning of the term "sock".
JoLo

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:29 pm

virgin, ..., I thought the whole philosophy behind BM was...

lots of threads address this, but I might be autistic and as a result repeat things over and over again.

if you have not been, and even if you have, but especially if you haven't, please don't speculate on what you think 'the spirit of burning man' is.
stuart

Postby Alpha » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:31 pm

Coupla things:

1. Although my experience of BM is often quite similar to what you (JoLo) describe, understand that it's a community of 30,000 people and it has many facets. Many Old Hats here will caution you to not confuse BM with a Rainbow gathering.

2. A sock, or sock puppet, is a false identity created by an e-Playan to deceive readers into believing there are multiple people behind the multiple IDs they are reading. Socks are often used for the more-inflammatory postings, as it keeps the heat off the creator. In general this kind of deception is frowned upon.
Alpha

Postby JoLo » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:42 pm

Ok, ok, ok.

I humbly retract my comment about the "spirit of BM".

Perhaps someone should go through the BM website and edit out the (ubiquitous) material that suggests that BM has anything to do with co-operation and diversity.

That said, I plan to arrive in a spirit of kindness, co-operation and good will. If you want to find me, just look for the guy who doesn't get it.

All sarcasm aside, I aquiesce that I know nothing (other than the volumes I have read here and other places on the web) about the spirit of BM. I am, however, very enthusiastic about being able to find out first hand.
JoLo

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:00 pm

Alpha wrote:Coupla things:

1. Although my experience of BM is often quite similar to what you (JoLo) describe, understand that it's a community of 30,000 people and it has many facets. Many Old Hats here will caution you to not confuse BM with a Rainbow gathering.

2. A sock, or sock puppet, is a false identity created by an e-Playan to deceive readers into believing there are multiple people behind the multiple IDs they are reading. Socks are often used for the more-inflammatory postings, as it keeps the heat off the creator. In general this kind of deception is frowned upon.

I hope others can come up with several opinions about the use of sock puppets. I'd hate to see it scewed by just a select few.

myself I dont care either way weather anyone uses a sock. just how they use it. I've seen some very funny and creative ways socks have been used on eplaya and would love to see more. after all this is a very creative group and there are some great forums to be creative with them. (them being socks).

prime example, one that we all know too well: Isotopia can be hilarious. I myself love to pick on the charcter aspect of it sometimes and it really turns out to be funny. (well sometimes I know Badger does'nt think so, but I have been told by many in the past how funny it is .)

IMHO what's wrong with a little creativity sometimes? after all this is an artist community. I think Alice was best at the sock thingie. always came up with something new.

Btw, this is'nt the sockpuppet thread.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Zane5100 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:21 pm

JoLo wrote:Ok, ok, ok.

I humbly retract my comment about the "spirit of BM".

Perhaps someone should go through the BM website and edit out the (ubiquitous) material that suggests that BM has anything to do with co-operation and diversity.

That said, I plan to arrive in a spirit of kindness, co-operation and good will. If you want to find me, just look for the guy who doesn't get it.

All sarcasm aside, I aquiesce that I know nothing (other than the volumes I have read here and other places on the web) about the spirit of BM. I am, however, very enthusiastic about being able to find out first hand.

The eplaya is not a very good representation of what you'll experience on the playa in person.

Take what you see here with a grain of salt, glean what info you can from it, and try not to build up too many expectations of what Burning Man is like. As wonderful of an experience it can be at times, it's still just a fucking camping trip in a desert.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

Postby III » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:40 pm

you forgot the commas again.
III

Postby Tancorix » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:47 pm

2002 was my first year at BM and before the event I scoured the eplaya looking for all kinds of info. I learned a lot, but once the greeters sent me through the gate into BRC it was a different world. All the reading and questions in the world helped some, but I was still happily overwhelmed by the experience. When they talk about "decompression" parties, after your first trip you'll understand why they earn that name.

I want to second Trey's comments about the board...there's lots of gems in here if you can filter out the other junk. Don't let the negativity scare you off.

And why are we talking about socks here when we already have a good thread for it?
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=3279&start=45
Tancorix

Postby Zane5100 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:52 pm

III wrote:you forgot the commas again.

No, I did it on purpose this time.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

hot springs

Postby Honey » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:57 pm

I'm new on this, so excuse me if I sound out of line. But getting back to the springs I have a few things to say. First of all if you know about the springs at all, you need to know that thay are closed to everybody during & before the event. If your going to tell someone about the springs, tell them there closed for the event & why. 30.000 people cant want to go there in a one month time frame.
I'm a hot springer myself, I understand and appreciate the culture I find at springs so please understand where I'm coming from with this. I have spent two years 01 & 03 volunteering a water truck and my service to the D.P.W and the citizens of B.R.C. I cant tell you how much I enjoy the whole trip.
What sucks is being the "DICK" that has to tell people to get out and that the springs are closed for the event. The worst offenders are the ones that know the rules. Thay get pisstd and even lie and try to tell us that
Will or some other figure of authorty told them it was cool. Please dont lay that on the water truck operators.
The message is there closed to everyone!!!! I got busted for taking some girls out there myself last year. It's just the way it is!
Just be glad we have the water for dust control and party on.....
Honey...
Honey

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:48 pm

Zane5100 wrote:
III wrote:you forgot the commas again.

No, I did it on purpose this time.
Working up the courage to use multiple semi-colons. A dangerous undertaking.
theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man