Violence on the playa...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Violence on the playa...

Postby teardropper » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:31 am

My friend didn't fill out any reports, but he was jumped by three guys, one gave him a karate chop to the throat. It dropped my friend. He didn't know why they jumped him. He, however, didn't wear his kilt the rest of the burn. And this was no virgin, a 8 time veteran. Since he didn't report it, it is not an "official" incident. I wonder how much this goes on, unprovoked attacks and attempted fighting. I'm not sure that it ruined his burn, but it did have him looking around a little more.
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:46 am

being the somewhat small and frail fellow I am, I'm constantly vigilant for brigands and other ner-do-wells that may be roaming the playa........

Humans....dang, get 40 or so thousand together, add some mind altering substances to dehydration, over stimulation, sleep deprivation, and, sexual manipulation (just for rhyming), and, some turn violent........
Imagine that......
I'm sure some go there just to be "violent", in that they think it's all a bunch of weakling tofu eating hippies, that, they can "have fun" with.........

well.

I propose, next to "Pee funnel camp", someone make "tazer" camp.......

now, that'd be fun.......

Imaging tazering a bunch of brigands at once, for performance art......

it'd look like grunion on the beach spawning.......hahaahaaahaha
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27266
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:41 am

There is definitely domestic violence.
Actually, I was thinking about that earlier. Not a whole lot of knife fights in bar parking lots.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 39907
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Violence on the playa...

Postby goathead » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:45 am

teardropper wrote:My friend didn't fill out any reports, but he was jumped by three guys, one gave him a karate chop to the throat. It dropped my friend. He didn't know why they jumped him. He, however, didn't wear his kilt the rest of the burn. And this was no virgin, a 8 time veteran. Since he didn't report it, it is not an "official" incident. I wonder how much this goes on, unprovoked attacks and attempted fighting. I'm not sure that it ruined his burn, but it did have him looking around a little more.


Was this during the week or on the week-end?
I wonder if the number of incidents go up with the frat mentality that comes in later in the week?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
User avatar
goathead
 
Posts: 5140
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Where I live is not far from home.
Burning Since: 1999

Postby teardropper » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:48 am

This happened early, on Tuesday maybe.
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby goathead » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:11 am

Not sure what to think.
I am sorry to here that it happened, to bad he didn't report it.

In 10 yrs on the playa myself I have never witnessed a fight out there.
I know they happen, just never seen one.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
User avatar
goathead
 
Posts: 5140
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Where I live is not far from home.
Burning Since: 1999

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:08 am

It pays to keep your eyes open.

Your friend's assault probably had plenty of witnesses, but they were all too blissed out to help out. :evil:
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16509
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Risky » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:31 am

ygmir wrote:being the somewhat small and frail fellow I am...


ygmir has the largest hands I have ever...seen.
Risky
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:33 am

sssssssshhhhhhhhhh
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27266
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elliot » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 am

:D
I was waiting for somebody to run with that one! :lol: :lol:
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------


Image
User avatar
Elliot
 
Posts: 6325
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Not Sure » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:21 pm

that is why i always carry a 22lr with a silencer on it,i dont care what others say but after the attempted rape of my wife a few years ago scumbags will die of lead poisening
Not Sure
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: empire/89405

Postby dr.placebo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:50 pm

While it would be foolish to assume that violence cannot happen on the playa, I've not seen any in the past 11 years, so I'm with goathead on this one. I'm also with crypto, there is domestic violence.

And, if you think that any is too much, then it should be reported. If you do see it, be a witness. If you hear a noise that might be distress, check it out.

None of this applies if you are at Thunderdome.
User avatar
dr.placebo
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:03 pm
Location: Volcano, HI
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Imaging tazering a bunch of brigands at once, for performance art......



would you like to work security with me at the domes? i think we could arrange for some "Art" to happen.
fuck you, it's magic


NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15558
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Imaging tazering a bunch of brigands at once, for performance art......



would you like to work security with me at the domes? i think we could arrange for some "Art" to happen.


I'm there for you......



Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27266
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Thecatman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Violence on the playa... :shock: :x :(
Thecatman
 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm
Location: Nevada desert 120miles S. of BRC
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Elderberry » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I've never seen or experienced any violence on the playa, and never even thought or worried about it--until I joined eplaya! :shock: :shock: :shock:

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 12789
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:02 pm

I've never seen or experienced any violence on the playa, and never even thought or worried about it--until I joined eplaya! Shocked Shocked Shocked

JK



well, my reply to you mr. spankmonkey would be the punchline to a well known gerbil joke that goes something like this...


what did the brown gerbil say to the white gerbil?




"you must be new around here".
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
User avatar
Roberto Dobbisano
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Dobbidossola, Italy.

Postby Thecatman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Not Sure wrote:that is why i always carry a 22lr with a silencer on it
Way to go :D
I've decided to get a Nevada/Utah CCW and, hopefuly by mid September, get a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 special for concealed carrying purposes.
Right now I have a Ruger MarkIII .22lr and a Mossberg 20ga.
Thecatman
 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm
Location: Nevada desert 120miles S. of BRC
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby sambojones » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Imaging tazering a bunch of brigands at once, for performance art......



would you like to work security with me at the domes? i think we could arrange for some "Art" to happen.


+1 I worked a few security shifts at RS I had to physically remove 1 guy from our domes for getting too grabby with girls that didn't want to be grabbed and taking a swing at someone. also had to have some talks with a couple of other guys for also getting too aggressive with the girls. the first guy was too far off in his own world to let him stay at the domes so he was really the only one I had to toss out. I joined RS last year cuz I like helping people have a good time (it makes me happy to see other people happy its kinda weird) it was a real buzz kill for me when I had to stop having a good time to deal with some ppl that were ruining other ppl's fun :(
sambojones
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:50 pm
Location: dallas, tx

Postby gyre » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Thecatman wrote:
Not Sure wrote:that is why i always carry a 22lr with a silencer on it
Way to go :D
I've decided to get a Nevada/Utah CCW and, hopefuly by mid September, get a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 special for concealed carrying purposes.
Right now I have a Ruger MarkIII .22lr and a Mossberg 20ga.

Check out the Keltec P3AT, 8 oz.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 am

sambojones wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:
Imaging tazering a bunch of brigands at once, for performance art......



would you like to work security with me at the domes? i think we could arrange for some "Art" to happen.


+1 I worked a few security shifts at RS I had to physically remove 1 guy from our domes for getting too grabby with girls that didn't want to be grabbed and taking a swing at someone. also had to have some talks with a couple of other guys for also getting too aggressive with the girls. the first guy was too far off in his own world to let him stay at the domes so he was really the only one I had to toss out. I joined RS last year cuz I like helping people have a good time (it makes me happy to see other people happy its kinda weird) it was a real buzz kill for me when I had to stop having a good time to deal with some ppl that were ruining other ppl's fun :(



thank you sambo for all of your work....it is one of the most difficult jobs to tread the fine line between proactive and reactive...in a crowd of 5000+ there are always going to be assholes, it is what it is. Our job as security is to surgically remove these people from the mix (hey dj, kick his ass out!) without ruining the party...it is no fun to be the heavy, but it is necessary to maintain the safety of our guests...i never condone violence for violence's sake, but will meet it with equal and or sufficient force to overcome it. Constant vigilance is the price of Peace, and it extracts a heavy cost on those that insure the peace. I myself am usually exhausted, physically and mentally at the end of a shift, because the responsibility weighs heavy on me, and the notion of "Not on my watch" is a strict mistress, i take it very seriously, i do not want to see anyone hurt, or hassled.

i joke around about tazing people, but that is not what we do at RS, for the record. We work with the rangers, and the LEO's to safely, legally do what we do, and to manage what is a chaotic situation as best we can without fucking with anyones burn as best we can.

no one ever thanks us, by the way.

so kisha, either you are wandering around in a e-tard haze if you havent seen the some of the stupid shit people do out there on a regular basis.

That being said, i believe that the community of burners is one of the most well organized, polite, and kind group of people i have ever met, and i almost feel obligated to protect these gentle souls from the wahoos who would inject their particular ugly side of defaultia into our world. I love the BM community, and wish it to be safe and happy and free from strife and trouble, so that it may continue showing others and ourselves that we can all get along, even as diverse as we are.

we must police our own, and banishment is the worst punishment when it means leaving the best place on earth.
fuck you, it's magic


NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15558
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby lonestoner916 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
sambojones wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:
Imaging tazering a bunch of brigands at once, for performance art......



would you like to work security with me at the domes? i think we could arrange for some "Art" to happen.


+1 I worked a few security shifts at RS I had to physically remove 1 guy from our domes for getting too grabby with girls that didn't want to be grabbed and taking a swing at someone. also had to have some talks with a couple of other guys for also getting too aggressive with the girls. the first guy was too far off in his own world to let him stay at the domes so he was really the only one I had to toss out. I joined RS last year cuz I like helping people have a good time (it makes me happy to see other people happy its kinda weird) it was a real buzz kill for me when I had to stop having a good time to deal with some ppl that were ruining other ppl's fun :(



thank you sambo for all of your work....it is one of the most difficult jobs to tread the fine line between proactive and reactive...in a crowd of 5000+ there are always going to be assholes, it is what it is. Our job as security is to surgically remove these people from the mix (hey dj, kick his ass out!) without ruining the party...it is no fun to be the heavy, but it is necessary to maintain the safety of our guests...i never condone violence for violence's sake, but will meet it with equal and or sufficient force to overcome it. Constant vigilance is the price of Peace, and it extracts a heavy cost on those that insure the peace. I myself am usually exhausted, physically and mentally at the end of a shift, because the responsibility weighs heavy on me, and the notion of "Not on my watch" is a strict mistress, i take it very seriously, i do not want to see anyone hurt, or hassled.

i joke around about tazing people, but that is not what we do at RS, for the record. We work with the rangers, and the LEO's to safely, legally do what we do, and to manage what is a chaotic situation as best we can without fucking with anyones burn as best we can.

no one ever thanks us, by the way.

so kisha, either you are wandering around in a e-tard haze if you havent seen the some of the stupid shit people do out there on a regular basis.

That being said, i believe that the community of burners is one of the most well organized, polite, and kind group of people i have ever met, and i almost feel obligated to protect these gentle souls from the wahoos who would inject their particular ugly side of defaultia into our world. I love the BM community, and wish it to be safe and happy and free from strife and trouble, so that it may continue showing others and ourselves that we can all get along, even as diverse as we are.

we must police our own, and banishment is the worst punishment when it means leaving the best place on earth.


WHAT A FUCKING HIPPIE!
:wink:

Seriously, thanks Sambo and Simon, and everyone else doing the thankless but necessary jobs! You didn't have to hit me so hard...
User avatar
lonestoner916
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Gerlach, Nevada

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:no one ever thanks us, by the way.


Everybody remember that line...Make the effort to find Simon and give him a great big thank you hug! I hear he loves getting flithy hippy hugs.

hehehe
What other people think about you is none of your business.
User avatar
Bounce530
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 am
Location: 6:30 & H
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:51 pm

i maintain a strict three foot no-hug zone.
fuck you, it's magic


NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15558
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:00 pm

how does that work for you at "reacharound" camp?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27266
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby curiousgnate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 pm

I know you get thanks for being there as rs. and if no one has thanked you for policing rs in a burner way well then THANK YOU! I am always glad you are there so i can get my boogie on without being hasseled by non-burner vacationers who don't like fags!!!!!! mucho props! oh yeah and as far as hugs go I am perfectly fine with air hugs and air kissies one on each cheek of course. don't want to smear my makeup!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
User avatar
curiousgnate
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 am
Location: Denver

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:09 am

air hugs are acceptable....i'm still trying to shake the east coast out of me, but it will take time...no hugs for at least another year i would surmise.

i'm still working on being able to order chai without breaking into hysterical denigrating laughter.

fucking hippies and their wack ass beverages.
fuck you, it's magic


NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15558
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:11 am

oh and nate, just remember, i have a no-penis rule on my side of the stage no matter how cute you are and how well you think you can shake that ass.


call me old fashioned, but i like vaginas dancing around me.


Image
fuck you, it's magic


NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15558
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 am

if I promise to stay 3' away, and, not attempt any sort of hugging, can I just be near you when I help.......you, sir, are a "magnet"........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27266
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:35 am

Violence on the playa...what a sad tought. Unless its thunderdome your thinking about. Never seen a fight on the playa, but would have gladly started one if I found out who stole my carton of cigarettes and $80 bottle of absynth.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests