Violence on the playa...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Violence on the playa...

Postby teardropper » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:31 am

My friend didn't fill out any reports, but he was jumped by three guys, one gave him a karate chop to the throat. It dropped my friend. He didn't know why they jumped him. He, however, didn't wear his kilt the rest of the burn. And this was no virgin, a 8 time veteran. Since he didn't report it, it is not an "official" incident. I wonder how much this goes on, unprovoked attacks and attempted fighting. I'm not sure that it ruined his burn, but it did have him looking around a little more.
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:46 am

being the somewhat small and frail fellow I am, I'm constantly vigilant for brigands and other ner-do-wells that may be roaming the playa........

Humans....dang, get 40 or so thousand together, add some mind altering substances to dehydration, over stimulation, sleep deprivation, and, sexual manipulation (just for rhyming), and, some turn violent........
Imagine that......
I'm sure some go there just to be "violent", in that they think it's all a bunch of weakling tofu eating hippies, that, they can "have fun" with.........

well.

I propose, next to "Pee funnel camp", someone make "tazer" camp.......

now, that'd be fun.......

Imaging tazering a bunch of brigands at once, for performance art......

it'd look like grunion on the beach spawning.......hahaahaaahaha
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:41 am

There is definitely domestic violence.
Actually, I was thinking about that earlier. Not a whole lot of knife fights in bar parking lots.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Re: Violence on the playa...

Postby goathead » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:45 am

teardropper wrote:My friend didn't fill out any reports, but he was jumped by three guys, one gave him a karate chop to the throat. It dropped my friend. He didn't know why they jumped him. He, however, didn't wear his kilt the rest of the burn. And this was no virgin, a 8 time veteran. Since he didn't report it, it is not an "official" incident. I wonder how much this goes on, unprovoked attacks and attempted fighting. I'm not sure that it ruined his burn, but it did have him looking around a little more.

Was this during the week or on the week-end?
I wonder if the number of incidents go up with the frat mentality that comes in later in the week?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby teardropper » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:48 am

This happened early, on Tuesday maybe.
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby goathead » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:11 am

Not sure what to think.
I am sorry to here that it happened, to bad he didn't report it.

In 10 yrs on the playa myself I have never witnessed a fight out there.
I know they happen, just never seen one.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:08 am

It pays to keep your eyes open.

Your friend's assault probably had plenty of witnesses, but they were all too blissed out to help out. :evil:
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Risky » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:31 am

ygmir wrote:being the somewhat small and frail fellow I am...

ygmir has the largest hands I have ever...seen.
Risky

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:33 am

sssssssshhhhhhhhhh
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elliot » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 am

:D
I was waiting for somebody to run with that one! :lol: :lol:
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Not Sure » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:21 pm

that is why i always carry a 22lr with a silencer on it,i dont care what others say but after the attempted rape of my wife a few years ago scumbags will die of lead poisening
Not Sure

Postby dr.placebo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:50 pm

While it would be foolish to assume that violence cannot happen on the playa, I've not seen any in the past 11 years, so I'm with goathead on this one. I'm also with crypto, there is domestic violence.

And, if you think that any is too much, then it should be reported. If you do see it, be a witness. If you hear a noise that might be distress, check it out.

None of this applies if you are at Thunderdome.
dr.placebo

Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 pm

would you like to work security with me at the domes? i think we could arrange for some "Art" to happen.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:

would you like to work security with me at the domes? i think we could arrange for some "Art" to happen.

I'm there for you......

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Thecatman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Violence on the playa... :shock: :x :(
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Elderberry » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I've never seen or experienced any violence on the playa, and never even thought or worried about it--until I joined eplaya! :shock: :shock: :shock:

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:02 pm

I've never seen or experienced any violence on the playa, and never even thought or worried about it--until I joined eplaya! Shocked Shocked Shocked

JK

well, my reply to you mr. spankmonkey would be the punchline to a well known gerbil joke that goes something like this...

what did the brown gerbil say to the white gerbil?

"you must be new around here".
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Thecatman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Not Sure wrote:that is why i always carry a 22lr with a silencer on it
Way to go :D
I've decided to get a Nevada/Utah CCW and, hopefuly by mid September, get a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 special for concealed carrying purposes.
Right now I have a Ruger MarkIII .22lr and a Mossberg 20ga.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby sambojones » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 pm

+1 I worked a few security shifts at RS I had to physically remove 1 guy from our domes for getting too grabby with girls that didn't want to be grabbed and taking a swing at someone. also had to have some talks with a couple of other guys for also getting too aggressive with the girls. the first guy was too far off in his own world to let him stay at the domes so he was really the only one I had to toss out. I joined RS last year cuz I like helping people have a good time (it makes me happy to see other people happy its kinda weird) it was a real buzz kill for me when I had to stop having a good time to deal with some ppl that were ruining other ppl's fun :(
sambojones

Postby gyre » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Thecatman wrote:
Not Sure wrote:that is why i always carry a 22lr with a silencer on it
Way to go :D
I've decided to get a Nevada/Utah CCW and, hopefuly by mid September, get a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 special for concealed carrying purposes.
Right now I have a Ruger MarkIII .22lr and a Mossberg 20ga.

Check out the Keltec P3AT, 8 oz.
gyre

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 am

sambojones wrote:

+1 I worked a few security shifts at RS I had to physically remove 1 guy from our domes for getting too grabby with girls that didn't want to be grabbed and taking a swing at someone. also had to have some talks with a couple of other guys for also getting too aggressive with the girls. the first guy was too far off in his own world to let him stay at the domes so he was really the only one I had to toss out. I joined RS last year cuz I like helping people have a good time (it makes me happy to see other people happy its kinda weird) it was a real buzz kill for me when I had to stop having a good time to deal with some ppl that were ruining other ppl's fun :(

thank you sambo for all of your work....it is one of the most difficult jobs to tread the fine line between proactive and reactive...in a crowd of 5000+ there are always going to be assholes, it is what it is. Our job as security is to surgically remove these people from the mix (hey dj, kick his ass out!) without ruining the party...it is no fun to be the heavy, but it is necessary to maintain the safety of our guests...i never condone violence for violence's sake, but will meet it with equal and or sufficient force to overcome it. Constant vigilance is the price of Peace, and it extracts a heavy cost on those that insure the peace. I myself am usually exhausted, physically and mentally at the end of a shift, because the responsibility weighs heavy on me, and the notion of "Not on my watch" is a strict mistress, i take it very seriously, i do not want to see anyone hurt, or hassled.

i joke around about tazing people, but that is not what we do at RS, for the record. We work with the rangers, and the LEO's to safely, legally do what we do, and to manage what is a chaotic situation as best we can without fucking with anyones burn as best we can.

no one ever thanks us, by the way.

so kisha, either you are wandering around in a e-tard haze if you havent seen the some of the stupid shit people do out there on a regular basis.

That being said, i believe that the community of burners is one of the most well organized, polite, and kind group of people i have ever met, and i almost feel obligated to protect these gentle souls from the wahoos who would inject their particular ugly side of defaultia into our world. I love the BM community, and wish it to be safe and happy and free from strife and trouble, so that it may continue showing others and ourselves that we can all get along, even as diverse as we are.

we must police our own, and banishment is the worst punishment when it means leaving the best place on earth.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby lonestoner916 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm

sambojones wrote:

thank you sambo for all of your work....it is one of the most difficult jobs to tread the fine line between proactive and reactive...in a crowd of 5000+ there are always going to be assholes, it is what it is. Our job as security is to surgically remove these people from the mix (hey dj, kick his ass out!) without ruining the party...it is no fun to be the heavy, but it is necessary to maintain the safety of our guests...i never condone violence for violence's sake, but will meet it with equal and or sufficient force to overcome it. Constant vigilance is the price of Peace, and it extracts a heavy cost on those that insure the peace. I myself am usually exhausted, physically and mentally at the end of a shift, because the responsibility weighs heavy on me, and the notion of "Not on my watch" is a strict mistress, i take it very seriously, i do not want to see anyone hurt, or hassled.

i joke around about tazing people, but that is not what we do at RS, for the record. We work with the rangers, and the LEO's to safely, legally do what we do, and to manage what is a chaotic situation as best we can without fucking with anyones burn as best we can.

no one ever thanks us, by the way.

so kisha, either you are wandering around in a e-tard haze if you havent seen the some of the stupid shit people do out there on a regular basis.

That being said, i believe that the community of burners is one of the most well organized, polite, and kind group of people i have ever met, and i almost feel obligated to protect these gentle souls from the wahoos who would inject their particular ugly side of defaultia into our world. I love the BM community, and wish it to be safe and happy and free from strife and trouble, so that it may continue showing others and ourselves that we can all get along, even as diverse as we are.

we must police our own, and banishment is the worst punishment when it means leaving the best place on earth.

WHAT A FUCKING HIPPIE!
:wink:

Seriously, thanks Sambo and Simon, and everyone else doing the thankless but necessary jobs! You didn't have to hit me so hard...
lonestoner916

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:no one ever thanks us, by the way.

Everybody remember that line...Make the effort to find Simon and give him a great big thank you hug! I hear he loves getting flithy hippy hugs.

hehehe
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:51 pm

i maintain a strict three foot no-hug zone.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:00 pm

how does that work for you at "reacharound" camp?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby curiousgnate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 pm

I know you get thanks for being there as rs. and if no one has thanked you for policing rs in a burner way well then THANK YOU! I am always glad you are there so i can get my boogie on without being hasseled by non-burner vacationers who don't like fags!!!!!! mucho props! oh yeah and as far as hugs go I am perfectly fine with air hugs and air kissies one on each cheek of course. don't want to smear my makeup!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:09 am

air hugs are acceptable....i'm still trying to shake the east coast out of me, but it will take time...no hugs for at least another year i would surmise.

i'm still working on being able to order chai without breaking into hysterical denigrating laughter.

fucking hippies and their wack ass beverages.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:11 am

oh and nate, just remember, i have a no-penis rule on my side of the stage no matter how cute you are and how well you think you can shake that ass.

call me old fashioned, but i like vaginas dancing around me.

fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 am

if I promise to stay 3' away, and, not attempt any sort of hugging, can I just be near you when I help.......you, sir, are a "magnet"........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:35 am

Violence on the playa...what a sad tought. Unless its thunderdome your thinking about. Never seen a fight on the playa, but would have gladly started one if I found out who stole my carton of cigarettes and $80 bottle of absynth.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man