Ripoffs

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Ripoffs

Postby buckethead alien » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:31 pm

I am wondering about other people who had stuff stolen at BM03. Somebody snared a $700 generator and $300 giant parafoil kite and line and assorted other hardware from our installation on Sunday afternoon. Our initial reaction to discovering this was "fuck it, we've had enough giving." After calming down we decided that the overwhelming response to our piece was great (we did the 165-foot-tall vertical line of white wiggly lights out by the house of cards on Friday night,) and that one asshole did not mean that everybody on the playa was evil. Still, I can't really imagine having to bring a big fucking lock and chain next time to protect our gear. It's Wednesday evening and I am still upset as I write this.
buckethead alien

Burning Since: 1997

Postby goathead » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:47 pm

My wife and I watched the burn from our camp Saterday night, when we got up Sunday we found out our golf "ART" cart was missing from our camp. This was our first attempt at an art project. We spent all of Sunday and most of Monday looking for it. To bad the Rangers, BLM, and the rest of the LEO's don't seem to give theft, the same attention they give gatecrashing or dope smoking. LOL, they have the manpower to search all of our vechiels coming in, wonder if anyone ever thought to note empty ones, that leave full on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday? Real fucking brain surgury here. God I am pissed. :evil:
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby bschlong » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:23 am

This was my seventh burn , two years ago I had my decent mountain bike ripped off early in the event (Tuesday) the worse part of it was i walked for two days and my feet swelled and ached so much I finally kept off them, until thanks to Nigel(sp?) and Bicycle camp I built a playa bike from parts. " One guy like Nigel(sp?) makes up for every ten assholes in the world."

After that I wised up and brought a clunker bike and lock and chain, but this year I left my unlocked bike in my occupied camp and walked off to bring the Contessi crew my extra water, ten minutes later THAT bike was gone.

I was pissed off, at the thief and at myself for being lazy and not locking it up, but tried my best to quickly let it go. I feel for anyone who had a greater monetary or emotional loss (an art car, JESUS!)

The bottom line is that as our community grows, population and word gets out amongst pickpockets and thieves that its easy takin's, there will be more loss. Just like the REAL world, but lets all try to not let it spoil the experience and event for the honest 95% of us. I read a post suggesting that if you have an installation with expensive gear, you might want to get a group together for 24 hour rotating monitoring. Someone suggested "neighborhood watch's" just like the real world for campsites. Its a bit of a shame that we have to become more vigilent and start worrying about things like theft in a community where we all go to get away from the confines and worry's of "real world" life. But if that's what it takes for the event to continue, I say lets be vigilant and not morn the loss of the "good old days " when the crowd was smaller and theft less of a problem. Let it grow and flow with whatever it takes. Best advice I can give is try to limit bringing things that you can't afford to lose or burn; if you have special needs for comfort or an art installation include security hardware and a watch as needed.
Last edited by bschlong on Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
bschlong

Re: Ripoffs

Postby Tristan » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:45 am

> (we did the 165-foot-tall vertical line of white wiggly lights out by the house of cards on Friday night,)

That was COOOOOOL! I loved it!

Totally low-tech but very efficient :)
Tristan

Postby TheJudge » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:31 pm

goathead wrote: To bad the Rangers, BLM, and the rest of the LEO's don't seem to give theft, the same attention they give gatecrashing or dope smoking.

The Black Rock Rangers are not cops. They have no authority for law enforcement whatsoever. Neither is the Gate Dept. Niether one gives two shits about what you might be smoking.

goathead wrote: LOL, they have the manpower to search all of our vechiels coming in, wonder if anyone ever thought to note empty ones, that leave full on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday? Real fucking brain surgury here. God I am pissed. :evil:

Wow. What a genius idea. Lets take an inventory of every vehicle, truck and RV. We'll weigh the gross vehicle tonage and when the event is over, we'll do a search of every vehicle leaving. if someone is missing their rusty bicycle or a golf cart with rope lights we'll cross reference the vehicle we're searching with what we have listed in the database for that vehicle.

Let's have the organization to keep track of your personal belongings so you dont have to.

Fucking brilliant! :roll:
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby s5 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:04 am

i've never had anything stolen, but we had three bikes left at our camp over the course of the week. i couldn't help but wonder if their owners thought they may have been stolen or what. no one claimed them by late monday, so i gave them away. i didn't know what else to do. so if you lost a bike at 9:30 and esplanade, sorry!!
s5

Postby bschlong » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:02 am

we had three bikes left at our camp.....wonder if their owners thought they may have been stolen or what.

Quite possibly they WERE stolen, often drunk or lazy SOB's take a bike to get from point A to B and just abandon it, they get a 5 minute lift and someone has to do without for at least the remainder of the burn.

In past years the powers that be tried to haul back to SF and than match orphan bikes with owners via the web, but logistics were dauting.
bschlong

Postby TheJudge » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:39 am

That's one of the reasons why you dont bring a good bike to the playa.
The other is that the playa will make short work of all those fancy re-railers, chains and cables, reducing them to rusted art in a matter of a week.
TheJudge

Postby III » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:47 am

apparently, the third is so that you don't have to take it home with you.
III

Postby Kamakhya » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:18 am

Theft seems to be getting worse and worse with each year. It is revolting, but true. KidsVille lost many bikes. including many kids bikes. Of course, they should have been locked up. We had someone stay behind this year during the burn to keep an eye out for theives.

Bikes are commonly "borrowed". There were at least four left near the potties by our camp at the end of the event. But gennies and art cars are just too much. I feel your pain. Obviously, neighborhood watches equipped with lengths of steel pipe are called for as are chains and locks.

For what it's worth, I really got into the light string floating in mid-air as did the folks I was with. Simple, yet elegant and fun.

Kamakhya
Kamakhya

Was the Tall wiggly light thingy designed to be idiot proof?

Postby Greeter Dan » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:36 am

Hi...

Some friends and I were wandering around on Friday night and we came across the tall wiggly lights. At first, we just wanted to play with them, as others were doing. It was fabulous. Great fun, and terrific visually.

One of our friends (who has much power) began exhorting some of those playing with it to "climb" it. So then began theatrically mimicking climbing it, which in reality meant lifting their legs up as if they were climbing, and then pulling down. Many minutes later, the entire 165 feet of lights were laying on the ground. The crowd cheered, and then we prepared to send it all back up.

Naturally, the lights got tangled. Badly. Around about that time, some folks came running up and shooed everyone away and began to untangle it. About 45 minutes later, we saw that it was back up again.

We thought we'd had a unique experience, but then another friend from my camp said he'd done the same thing.

So I'm wondering: how many times did that happen, and was it expected? I've heard BM artists talk about having to idiot-proof their art, and I wonder if the artists of this project thought of this ahead of time?

Thanks,
Greeter Dan
Platypuses felt bad for causing tangles
Flap Flap Wiggle
Greeter Dan

Postby Kinetic » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:22 pm

This was my second year at BM and Dragontear's first. Last year nothing bad happened to any of my stuff but this year we lost a bike on Tuesday, Dragontear went dancing at Reorient and thought she was checking on her bike often enough. It still came up missing.

Thanks to some of our campmates in Kidsville she was able to borrow another bike to ride for the rest of the event and I was able to trade stuff to acquire a bike to bring home so she has something to ride here. The overall experience was bad, but what really made me MAD was the attitude I got from Playa Info when asking about tracking down lost bikes. I got misinformation on where the Lost Bike camp was, I got serious attitudes from two different Playa Info volunteers, and at one point I got so frustrated that I had to step back and cool off...I wanted to lambast one of the PI volunteers...this guy had no business being at BM with his attitude.

One shining point in the middle of this is the Black Rock Rangers. I dealt with them several times over the event this year and they impressed me so much with their attitude and approach that I want to volunteer as a Ranger in 04. Anyway I learned my lesson and for 04, I'm bringing my Manhattan style locks with me. DTA: Don't Trust Anyone. Too bad it has to be that way in BRC.

Kinetic (Kiamix)
Kansas City
Kinetic

Postby Lydia Love » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:26 pm

Hey Kinetic!

I was glad to get a chance to meet you and Draongtear for a moment - but sorry not to see you ant the greeter shift/meet and greet stuff.

So - other than the stolen bike

How the hell did it go for you two out there?
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby goathead » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:08 am

The Judge
The Black Rock Rangers are not cops. They have no authority for law enforcement whatsoever. Neither is the Gate Dept. Niether one gives two shits about what you might be smoking.

Sorry I was unclear in my referance to Rangers. I was refering to BLM Rangers and BML personal on the playa, not the Black Rock Rangers. And Yes it is to fucking bad they seem to spend most of their time looking for people smoking dope.
The Judge
Wow. What a genius idea. Lets take an inventory of every vehicle, truck and RV. We'll weigh the gross vehicle tonage and when the event is over, we'll do a search of every vehicle leaving. if someone is missing their rusty bicycle or a golf cart with rope lights we'll cross reference the vehicle we're searching with what we have listed in the database for that vehicle.

Let's have the organization to keep track of your personal belongings so you dont have to.

Fucking brilliant!

Well lets see what do they do now????? Ohhh thats right they don't look for anything leaving do they. Not a SINGLE person. Nobody to talk to anyone who might say "Hey you ok to drive? You might want to pull over and get some sleep. Your by yourself, but you have thirty bikes?"
I heard the gate crew had one girl who found over sixty people trying to sneak in. Wonder what she could have found given a list of stolen items?
Even just walking up and down the line of traffic leaving? Even doing a little bit is about 100% more then they are doing now.
goathead

Lights

Postby kitty » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:03 am

:D
We loved the lights. We called them the "undulating lights." It was a great meeting ground for our group of 20. Everyone in our group thought they were beautiful.
kitty

Postby Ivy » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:27 am

Hey you guys,

I don't mean to sounds all free-lovin' hippy and shit, but they're just bikes.

At least you're still alive.
Ivy

Sunday afternoon?

Postby KurtRuckus » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:31 am

Buckethead alien,
Is it possible that the wind took the generator and kite? If the kite was big enough that people could actually hang from the line, would it be possible to take off with the generator in that massive dust storm that kicked up?
I got totally brutalized by my kiteboarding kite while I was trying to kite ski, when the winds kicked up.
Just thought I'd ask. Otherwise, any idea what time it all went missing? Someone had to see something.
K
KurtRuckus

Postby Stormy » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:55 am

goathead wrote:
The Judge

Fucking brilliant!

Well lets see what do they do now????? Ohhh thats right they don't look for anything leaving do they. Not a SINGLE person. Nobody to talk to anyone who might say "Hey you ok to drive? You might want to pull over and get some sleep. Your by yourself, but you have thirty bikes?"
I heard the gate crew had one girl who found over sixty people trying to sneak in. Wonder what she could have found given a list of stolen items?
Even just walking up and down the line of traffic leaving? Even doing a little bit is about 100% more then they are doing now.

OK, Mr. Goathead, let's step away from that crackpipe and apply a little common sense. Since Judge is at work this morning, I will try and answer your questions here. Burning Man is not Disneyland. It is or at least was a place of radical self-reliance. Just as the cops in SF or LA probably aren't going to do much to find your bikes, neither will the BLM or the BM LLC. It's not because they don't care, it's just too cost prohibitive. The reason why there are searches at the Gate is because the organization is losing a lot of money due to people using services and not paying and someone mentioned we could lose our permit if the census is too far off. So please get over your issues with searches, they are now a fact of life.

The other issue is that it's already difficult to get enough Gate staff early in the week because it's a hard job to do for free. Even giving some of the workers comp tickets is not incentive enough to work 6 hours a day, every day in health taxing conditions. Getting people to work late in the week is really hard. There is some Exodus staff, but they mostly just manage traffic so that people get over to the highway safely.

If you feel strongly about this issue, than as a BRC citizen, you have the power to do something about it. Organize a crew and ask people on the way out if you can search there vehicles. Good luck trying to prove what was stolen and what was not. If you see two people and four bikes how are you going to prove that the bikes were stolen. They can simply tell you that they are driving them back for a friend. Nine times out of ten that will be the truth. As for the big ticket items, such as generators, how are you going to prove that they were stolen. Are you going to ask thousands of people if you can see their rental agreements before you allow them to leave? BRC awaits your theft-prevention plan. :)
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby TestesInSac » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:00 am

Stormy wrote:OK, Mr. Goathead, let's step away from that crackpipe and apply a little common sense.

My first belly laugh of the day. Thank you, Stormy, we need more like you!
TestesInSac

Postby babalou » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:05 am

Personal responsibility is what this event is all about. I'm sorry that the dusty, dehydrated, VOLUNTEER, at playa info was not helpful. The truth of the matter is that theft is very much a concern of anyone involved with burningman. Art theft, gear theft, bicycle theft all create an atmosphere of anger and mistrust that is antithetical to the inclusive nature of our community.

Take responsibility for your own possessions. We can create a neighborhood watch by introducing ourselves to neighboring camps. The BRC rangers have special patrols that go through the city during the burn to look for suspicious folks, but they can't be everywhere at once.

It takes upward of 1800 volunteers to make this event happen. Our resources, not to mention our patience, are thinly spread by the end of the event. Many of us have already been in the desert for two weeks or more by burn night.

My husband had his trusted "Frankenbike" stolen burn night two years ago. It is disheartening to think that while we were working the burn inner perimeter, we were getting ripped off.

It is not the negative events that keep us coming back to the playa. It is the incredible community of folks who devote themselves to making others have a wonderful time at BRC. The artists, the participants, the volunteers, the newbies, the theme camps and villages, everyone who believes that "radical self-expression" is worth preserving.

The thieves and yahoos are a small fraction of the populace. If we lock our possessions, set neighborhood watches, become art guardians, and educate the ignorant, we can reclaim the event for those with a positive outlook.

Sorry for your losses. Hope you had an otherwise great year!
No matter where you go...there you are.
babalou

Postby Stormy » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:31 am

casnimot wrote:My first belly laugh of the day. Thank you, Stormy, we need more like you!

Oh no, thank you. I've been laughing my ass off the last few days thanks to you and other clever boardies. And to my horror, I've also been doing some thinking too. :lol:
Stormy

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:33 am

Lydia:
What an experience. Once I get Tiff's ethernet cables fixed and she gets onto the new board she will post but I can tell you that she left forever changed. I promised her parents that I would physically bring her back safely but mentally and emotionally all bets were off. She came through BM even better than I expected.

To get the negatives out of the way, she did have a run-in with a 30 y.o. Argentinian guy who wanted to do some things and she said NO, and it ended up getting back to the guy's girlfriend who broke up with him at the event. And she also ended up breaking away from some new friends she met because they wanted to go mushroom hunting and she wanted no part of that. She did have a drink or three out there but that's the extent of that.

Positives....so many to list, from the awesome temple burn and the dancing around the Pyromid vs. Eggchair burn....to watching the sunrise and dancing at Reorient and seeing Sandra Collins perform some of the best dance mixes we have ever heard....I won't speak too much for her but all the way back and once we got home, the Oh My God you won't believe it comments have been almost non-stop. She's already wanting to help me work on an art car for next year, and already dreaming up new projects. I think she got infected with the playa virus. It's uncureable.

So despite the bike and the Argentinian and the magic mushroom quests, she seems to have had a blast. I didn't do too bad either. Someone put a copy of "How to get laid at BM" in my hands and I didn't even get to read it, 10 minutes later I was having more fun than I ever expected. I wish the event would have been more positive...the Playa Info negativity pulled me down, and then the news of the crashes and one fatality on playa, one off really hurt. But maybe some good will come of that too....slightly safer art cars or more general awareness, and next year I will try to be a Ranger to do even more. Overall...it was a great burn.

Kinetic (Kiamix from Kansas City)

"Dorothy, you can have Kansas, I'm going back to San Francisco. This place sucks!"
Kinetic

Postby Stormy » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:35 am

babalou wrote: :idea:

It is not the negative events that keep us coming back to the playa. It is the incredible community of folks who devote themselves to making others have a wonderful time at BRC. The artists, the participants, the volunteers, the newbies, the theme camps and villages, everyone who believes that "radical self-expression" is worth preserving.

The thieves and yahoos are a small fraction of the populace. If we lock our possessions, set neighborhood watches, become art guardians, and educate the ignorant, we can reclaim the event for those with a positive outlook.

Why Babalou, you are my hero. I think my jaded heart grew three sizes just now. :D
Stormy

Postby TheJudge » Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:22 pm

I'll sum it up this way: be resonsible for your own stuff, up to, and including your life.

For further explanation, read the back of the ticket.
TheJudge

Just for the record

Postby ScottV » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:42 pm

I would like to say that I picked up a free bike just for the event and left it unlocked everywhere I went. Since I got it for free and my feet and legs were specifically designed for carrying me around I wasn't worried about it getting "borrowed". It had no lock and many in camp used it for short runs to the porta potties or to get ice. It's only decoration was a jogging light scotch taped to it (for visibility at night).

It didn't get stolen (23rd to the 1st)

YMMV

karma? attitude? mystic powers? chance? probability?

I *was* very upset when I found my art installation messed with - but that was only twice over the 10 days and with no permanent damage.
ScottV

Postby goathead » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:59 pm

Stepped back from the crack pipe, took a drive to the playa, thanks to the DPW, "GREAT PEOPLE" recovered what was left of my art cart, that was sitting next to my truck, in my camp when it was stolen. Shit, I guess I was being irresposible. Dam, I just shouldn't have gone to bed that night. LOL that's sort of the responce I got from Pershing Co. sheriff dep. when I reported it stolen. LOL if you want to make excuses for thieves, and people who vandalize stuff thats ok. LOL the assholes left me a little token, sort of telling me of how proud they where. I won't go looking for them next year, I will turn the Black Rock Rangers on to it. and I wonder if I should stumble across them out there myself will you make excuses for me? Just call it ahhh performance art if you like.
goathead

Idiot-proofing; were we the idiots?

Postby buckethead alien » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:33 am

Greeter Dan asked: I've heard BM artists talk about having to idiot-proof their art, and I wonder if the artists of this project thought of this ahead of time?
----
Funny thing you asked. On Friday night when the lights came on, our team slinked off into the darkness to watch. Within minutes, people began to wiggle the lights around, and we turned to each other in disbelief: We had NEVER GUESSED that anyone would want to actually make the lights MOVE. Duh.

After untangling the strands (there were three stabilizing lines to the big helium balloon) the first time on Friday night, the piece survived until about 3:30 a.m. We were a little too, ah, busy, to get it flying again Saturday. Maybe next year. But how can one idiot-proof a line of Christmas lights tied to a balloon? That will be the challenge...on the other hand, once we put the piece out there is it really ours anymore to idiot-proof?
buckethead alien

Burning Since: 1997

Interactiving

Postby Borris » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:48 am

I've noticed that the People at BM tend to find all art (even if it wasn't designd to be so) as Interactive. artists should keep this in mind when designing works, either make it interactive, or make people know that you wish it not to be so.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby Ranger Mickey » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:52 am

Just for the record, such as it is, we do keep an eye out for things like stolen art cars as we hear reports coming in over the radio.

In contrast to what one sees on COPS, where a static city is shown, imagine for a moment what it's like to be on the lookout for a number of stolen / misplaced vehicles in the middle of the dynamic chaos that happens as Burning Man unfolds.

A propos bicycles, in the years that I bring my Cannondale up I carry a teeny wire lock which can be whipped through the wheels in a few seconds, making the bike useless to the casual "I need a ride" thief. Been working since '96 :-) Never, ever put the bike down without taking those few seconds to keep someone from making a bad mistake.
Rangering since 1996...

[Rangers] do their best to stay unobtrusive. They are always there when needed but remarkably hard to find if you just want to point at one. -- Jay Schneider
Ranger Mickey

Postby nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:12 am

TheJudge wrote:I'll sum it up this way: be resonsible for your own stuff, up to, and including your life.

For further explanation, read the back of the ticket.

right on. it sucks to have to lock yer shit up at burning man, but really now - would you rather have your $3000 cannondale swiped? and if you don't want to lose said cannondale, why not leave it at home and take some crappy second hand thingy?

i try not to take shit to brc that i'll feel bad about losing.

the princess
nymphgonebad

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man