Empire Scammers

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby libertyman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:35 am

mars
I live in Wellsville
libertyman

Postby Intubater69 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:16 am

libertyman wrote:It's getting late here in New York and I need to get some sleep. But first I have to say one more thing. Mars after reading this thread it sounds like you are such an asshole that I am suprised that the gas station attendent didn't take your gas cap and shove it up your ass!!!

Make sure you leave the retainer strap sticking out so the ER docs can used that to pop the sucka out :lol:
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan
Intubater69

Postby mars » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 am

Intubater69 wrote:
libertyman wrote:It's getting late here in New York and I need to get some sleep. But first I have to say one more thing. Mars after reading this thread it sounds like you are such an asshole that I am suprised that the gas station attendent didn't take your gas cap and shove it up your ass!!!

Make sure you leave the retainer strap sticking out so the ER docs can used that to pop the sucka out :lol:

I'm getting a special piercing so I have something to attach that strap to...i don't want any ER doctor trying to sell it back to me!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby NTPastorAaron » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:08 pm

I am sorry for your bad experiences here. With anywhere you go, there are good people and bad people who will try to take advantage of others. I am one of the locals who tried as hard as we could to welcome those of you traveling into our Black Rock Desert. Our local community church was across the street from the store giving away one gallon containers of water to you thirsty travelers as a free gift. We gave away 1004 gallons on Monday and Tuesday, next year we will try to double this quantity. We hope you enjoyed the water and again, sorry that some of our locals left you with a bad experience.
NTPastorAaron

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Pastor Aaron -- can you tell us why Gerlach has all the bars, and Empire has all the churches?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:50 pm

because Bruno's not a Priest?
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby wedeliver » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:52 pm

NTPastorAaron thanks for the water. Really appreciate you and all the folks from Empire being there to help us have a good time in your "hood".

Don't take offense from Bob, as you can see he's just an old couch.

And Simon, Bruno has "ministered" to many people in Gerlach, just a different kind of church. (lots more wine)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby gyre » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:53 pm

NTPastorAaron wrote:I am sorry for your bad experiences here. With anywhere you go, there are good people and bad people who will try to take advantage of others. I am one of the locals who tried as hard as we could to welcome those of you traveling into our Black Rock Desert. Our local community church was across the street from the store giving away one gallon containers of water to you thirsty travelers as a free gift. We gave away 1004 gallons on Monday and Tuesday, next year we will try to double this quantity. We hope you enjoyed the water and again, sorry that some of our locals left you with a bad experience.

Thank you for an extremely thoughtful gift.

And welcome to eplaya.

Do you think most people in the area really understand what's going on out there?
Or do they care?
I met some people in the area who went out in 2007, but without staying they never really got a grasp on how it all works out there, even thought they have probably met thousands of burners over the years.
gyre

Postby Kenny Z » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:28 pm

libertyman wrote:i have to say that i have seen him in action and he does know how to deal with idiots

[/quote]

I'm absolutely positive you have seen him in action dealing with idiots. I'm also pretty sure it was just you and him in the garage at the time.
Kenny Z

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:38 am

gyre wrote:
NTPastorAaron wrote:I am sorry for your bad experiences here. With anywhere you go, there are good people and bad people who will try to take advantage of others. I am one of the locals who tried as hard as we could to welcome those of you traveling into our Black Rock Desert. Our local community church was across the street from the store giving away one gallon containers of water to you thirsty travelers as a free gift. We gave away 1004 gallons on Monday and Tuesday, next year we will try to double this quantity. We hope you enjoyed the water and again, sorry that some of our locals left you with a bad experience.

Thank you for an extremely thoughtful gift.

And welcome to eplaya.

Do you think most people in the area really understand what's going on out there?
Or do they care?
I met some people in the area who went out in 2007, but without staying they never really got a grasp on how it all works out there, even thought they have probably met thousands of burners over the years.

This year was interesting. I met 4 locals and two were Paiutes. I spent some time talking to all of them about how they felt about it. One of the guys from the nearby reservation who was the oldest said he loved it. He was very gregarious and I enjoyed talking with him. It was his second year coming out and said it was better than his first year. He brought a girlfriend the previous year that was disturbed by the all of the nudity. His son who was about 22 seemed to be rather disgusted by the entire thing. He said he was just going to come out a couple days and when I asked him about how he felt about it he replied "It's a lotta F---ing traffic." He just stood around with his arms crossed and came off rather abrasive. He did go on the "teeter totter of death" with me. I swear he didn't crack a smile the entire time. Another one of them was really belligerent and drunk. He was nice but really gave the yahoo type vibe. I didn't get the feeling they really got what was going on or what it is was about.

I always try to imagine how it would feel to be apart of those communities and how different I would feel about BM in general if I was from around there. I'm not sure but I think I would be grateful about all the extra income coming through town & probably would try to capitalize on it with a stand. However, these are small town folk we are talking about here and I can easily see our yearly freak show invasion into their lives & land could be extremely annoying.
DoriumLux

Empire store scam continued

Postby Discosybil » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:36 am

I'm not sticking up for Empire's store but there is no proof they put the tacks on the roads. Anybody could have done it from a person who hates burners to any of the people selling things on the way out. As for gas caps, that's pretty bad taste.

As someone said, why not file a report the right way instead of bashing everyone in Empire. This is their only store, not everybody in the town is guilty.
Unfortunately, when we stopped by yesterday on our way home from the playa, the store was just about empty. They are closing, not sure when they will be open again. It was really hush hush.

So think twice about bashing on the site and be a responsible person and complain to the right people instead of ruining a town's reputation.

Katwoman

http://kissingfish.wordpress.com
Discosybil

Postby wedeliver » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 am

I called the Empire Store and was told they are closing. There is a legal issue with the property that needs to be resolved before they can reopen is what I think I was told. This is going to make shrek very sad (what year did they all appear, cause they weren't there 10 years ago. I'm talking about the figures outside)

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Re: Empire store scam continued

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Discosybil wrote:So think twice about bashing on the site and be a responsible person and complain to the right people instead of ruining a town's reputation.

Oh nice scold! This thread didn't start out bashing and she tried other avenues as well.

It's so bloody easy to distort and destroy, isn't it?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wedeliver » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:05 pm

I thought Mars had a great sense of humor over what happened and at the very least it was a learning experience for all of us that read it.

As for Karma, kinda interesting that the store is closing as we speak!!

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Discosybil » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:01 pm

It's so bloody easy to distort and destroy, isn't it?

Yes Crytofish it is easy to distort and destroy. I too think this was a humorous place and not distorting the original poster, just the ones that took this a little serious on page 1.
Discosybil

Postby goathead » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:32 pm

wedeliver wrote:I thought Mars had a great sense of humor over what happened and at the very least it was a learning experience for all of us that read it.

As for Karma, kinda interesting that the store is closing as we speak!!

Yep it's CLOSED, everything is being stripped out of the building. From the sounds of it it might not reopen at all. My co-workers wife is out of a job. Several other friends are now unemployed.

While some of you might have had problems with the store, during the the rest of the year they where a real assest to the community here.

Pack well kids, I doubt Bruno will carry much for you.
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:20 pm

goathead wrote:
Yep it's CLOSED, everything is being stripped out of the building. From the sounds of it it might not reopen at all. My co-workers wife is out of a job. Several other friends are now unemployed.

While some of you might have had problems with the store, during the the rest of the year they where a real assest to the community here.

Pack well kids, I doubt Bruno will carry much for you.

Sorry to hear about your co-worker's wife and the loss of the store to the community.

JK
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:03 pm

Why would you Burning Man people be sorry about local concerns?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:39 pm

Bob wrote:Why would you Burning Man people be sorry about local concerns?

Why do us Burning Man people care about victims of a Hurricane, or the casualties from a train wreck or plane crash. I guess it's because we were people before we were Burners.

Your post actually surprised me--both because I didn't think there were any 'locals' on the eplaya site--and because I never even considered a 'local' to be interested in attending Burning Man.

I know I'll think a bit differently about your town when I pass through again next year.

And actually, I really can't speak for "us burners", just this one; and your post opened my eyes to something I never bothered to even see before.

JK
Elderberry

Postby goathead » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:47 pm

Bob wrote:Why would you Burning Man people be sorry about local concerns?

Since I am both a local and a burner I have to wonder about your question?

Why is there Burners Without Borders?
Black Rock Solar?
If another big ONE hits SF should I really care?

Most every place else if a store closes there is another one just down the street.

Not here.

People think DPW is cranky now, wait till next year when getting a pack of smokes or another case is PBR is a much longer drive.
goathead

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:05 am

fwiw, Bob has a quite wry sense of humor.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:21 am

mars wrote:
wedeliver wrote:
and here is what can happen to someone.. anyone.. you or me

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2 ... husky.html

Very cool story!!! Too bad Steve Fossett wasn't that lucky.

The guy's dad first heard about the incident by reading the AOPA article. 'This article brought to you by the phrase "Holy Fuck That's My Kid!"'
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:50 am

theCryptofishist wrote:fwiw, Bob has a quite wry sense of humor.

Well that's good to know!

JK
Elderberry

Postby mars » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Thank you NTPastorAaron. It is good to hear from someone with a kind heart and it is good to know there are Empire locals who don't have animosity toward us.

I'll look for your church next year, just to say hi!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:45 pm

if the above mentioned and Hereby known as "Store" is still available for purchase and / or auction please contact me immediately with the price and / or terms for the "Store".

thank you.

Mr. Simon
Real Estate Asset Locater And Special Supervisor, High-tech Office Legal Envoy
StarBucks Corporation, Global.
#1 Grind Blvd.
Seattle, Washington.

MrSimon@Drinkyourcoffeebitchandlikeit.com

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:02 am

ahahahhaha
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:07 am

Fuck, Donkey is gone, Cat is gone, Shriek is gone.
Just another closed up building, in just another shit hole.
Nothing special here.
goathead

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:10 am

I'll still Buy it.

it's PERFECT for my Not-So-Secret Meth Lab and Juice Bar.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:23 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:I'll still Buy it.

it's PERFECT for my Not-So-Secret Meth Lab and Juice Bar.

If you have the bucks to buy it you would be better off building a new one.
Sounds like the building known as the "Store" is going to be
a. Tied up in court for unknown, length of time.
b. Torn down by USG
c. Rebuilt at the bottom of Empire for USG employees use only.
d. Re-opened by the other litigants, which if rumors carry a thread of truth maybe you will be able to pick it up for back taxes in a few years. They seem to have a lack of funds.
goathead

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Litigants? Who's suing whom and why?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man