Empire Scammers

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby goathead » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Resolution in cases like the two mentioned is easy.
The store has to reimburse the victims.

It is all after the fact. They both should have turned around, found the owner/there is no manager/or contact the sheriff right then.
If you call me up a week later to, to complain about something like this, after a couple of weeks of 20 plus hour days, and having to deal with all this shit, LMAO I would tell you to fuck off. I would probably still be laughing even as the phone hit the wall.
But then again I am not as nice as he is.
If they had found him, and they where able to verify what happened, it wouldn't surprise me if he would have fired the guys on the spot.

Ultimately management always is the one that has to resolve these things, when it is possible.
Prevention is always the cheapest method of dealing with potential conflicts.

He has a very small regular crew during the years, during Burning Man all he can do is throw warm bodies into the fire. The best way to deal with this is ON THE SPOT. Waiting to bitch about it a week later, LOL.

I always enjoyed the week before the burn more and I knew I would even before I went.

Another great way to score points with the locals, show up early with the early entry pass. When they can't even go out. Or LOL, they have to work at the Empire Store or Bruno's and might not even be able to go at all. LMAO, remember the sign that was up in Gerlach for a few years
"HONK, if you really want to annoy me." Yep, I use to enjoy going out early to. We just refuse to be a theme camp, fill out the paper work, and we will pick our own space to camp.

I still enjoy the week of the burn though.

Anymore I really look forward to visiting with old friends and then seeing the new sites, in that order. I see less, and less each year it seems like.

I get the feeling some in dpw would be happier if no one tracked any dirt across their nice clean playa.

Now why would you say that? LMAO.....
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby gyre » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:03 pm

Timely is great, especially when you live there, but it adds up to blaming the victim.
It is still the responsibility of the store to stop crime in their name.
If I rob the store, does it still count a week later?
I'm thinking it would.

As for early entry, anyone can take shifts and get in early.
There always seems to be something needing to be done.

I still want a longer burning man.
gyre

Postby goathead » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:17 pm

gyre wrote:Timely is great, especially when you live there, but it adds up to blaming the victim.

How is that?

It is still the responsibility of the store to stop crime in their name.

With out a doubt, and Mars did the right thing in filing a report. To bad the didn't turnaround and deal with the problem right then.

If I rob the store, does it still count a week later?

More like go ahead and steal my lunch money, and I will tell the teacher a week from now.

As for early entry, anyone can take shifts and get in early.
There always seems to be something needing to be done.

Rocketteers are on the playa now, and I can come, and I can go, as I please.....FUCK BLM......I know who to blame for this.

I still want a longer burning man.

Move to Empire/Gerlach, [/quote]
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby janeees » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Interesting, here's my story (short version):
In 2006 my friend and I rented and RV to go to Burning Man, we stopped in Empire for gas on the way out. The teenage attendant put gas into the water tank of our RV. The RV company charged me $488 for damages (very low, considering the damage done, but that's a much longer story), I called the Empire store and they said send the receipt for the damages and they were sure the owner would pay for it. I sent a number of letters and got no reply. Then I had a baby to deal with and couldn't do anything about it. I stopped in this year and spoke to Don Lawson, the owner ( I believe he's the owner, although someone wrote that they spoke to a woman owner, maybe husband and wife?) and he said he ignored my letters and wouldn't pay me because my friend had told the attendant to put the gas into the water tank, which is ridiculous. Anyway, I'm most likely going to take him to small claims court, anyone want to join me?

Also, does anyone have the phone number for the store/gas station? The number I had stopped working after a few months and I can't find their number listed anywhere. And is the name of the business the Empire Store? I need to find out these things in order to file in small claims court.
janeees

Postby hsdavis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm not sure why more people haven't posted their stories on this website.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/empire-store-empire

(775) 557-2311
hsdavis

Postby wedeliver » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:31 pm

janeees wrote:Interesting, here's my story (short version):
In 2006 my friend and I rented and RV to go to Burning Man, we stopped in Empire for gas on the way out. The teenage attendant put gas into the water tank of our RV. The RV company charged me $488 for damages (very low, considering the damage done, but that's a much longer story), I called the Empire store and they said send the receipt for the damages and they were sure the owner would pay for it. I sent a number of letters and got no reply. Then I had a baby to deal with and couldn't do anything about it. I stopped in this year and spoke to Don Lawson, the owner ( I believe he's the owner, although someone wrote that they spoke to a woman owner, maybe husband and wife?) and he said he ignored my letters and wouldn't pay me because my friend had told the attendant to put the gas into the water tank, which is ridiculous. Anyway, I'm most likely going to take him to small claims court, anyone want to join me?

Also, does anyone have the phone number for the store/gas station? The number I had stopped working after a few months and I can't find their number listed anywhere. And is the name of the business the Empire Store? I need to find out these things in order to file in small claims court.

Is there any kind of slim possiblity that the "teenage attendant" asked "is this the right place as he/she placed the fuel noozle into the water tank compartment. A compartment that is typically locked on most RV's. Most RV's have locking gas tank covers also, so "typically" you would have had to provide keys to unlock the compartment that the tank is accessed through.

Also, I am not positive but I think you only have 1 year to bring an action in small claims court in Nevada. Good luck, I can only imagine your suprise when you both ran out of gas and found gasoline in your drinking/shower water.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby betrdanevr » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:26 pm

You may still have time to file, but you'll need to check it out further. From the small claims court (near as I can tell):

http://www.washoecounty.us/rjc/sc_faqs. ... on=107#107

# How long do I have to file a Small Claim after the incident occurred?

You have a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 6 years to file it depending upon what type of claim you have. To determine what type of claim you have, you must either seek legal advice or research it through the Nevada Revised Statutes. The Nevada Revised Statutes are available to the public at the Washoe County Law Library or www.leg.state.nv.us.
betrdanevr

Postby jackmack » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:39 am

i'm sorry.. but despite the horror.. this story is quite funny...
:lol:
i mean, you were dumb enough to buy your own gas cap!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A
jackmack

Postby libertyman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:00 pm

[quote="jackmack"]i'm sorry.. but despite the horror.. this story is quite funny...
:lol:
i mean, you were dumb enough to buy your own gas cap!

I have to agree with jack . you have be the stupidest person on this planet to buy back your own gas cap , that is if it really happen . And if it did just suck it up and admit that you paid the stupid tax .

we've been going to the burningman for 12 years and always make a point of stopping at the empire store . someone wrote that the gas station attendent is rude as hell . i have to say that i have seen him in action and he does know how to deal with idiots
libertyman

Postby libertyman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:25 pm

[quote="wedeliver"]You bought your own gas cap? Maybe that's Empires little art project. SHDBA. Stands for "see how dumb burners are". And you even want to admit that, first you didn't leave your cap off but you still paid $10.00 to purchase your own gas cap. I think that might be priceless theatre. The experience you received, the knowledge you gained. The story you have to tell.. I don"t know if I could admit to being fooled in this manner.

On the issue of the tire, first of all some idiot needed to purchase a tire in of all places Empire, Nevada. You do realize they don't have a tire store there. He bought a tire and $40.00 is pretty cheap out in the middle of nowhere. He see's old tire mounting equipment in the area where this used tire was discoverd and assumes it works. He does not examine tire for holes. Again, SHDBA.

I just thought of something . Did the person who bought the used tire tell the guy what they were going to use it for . Stop and think about it , there is 100 things that tire can be used for , did the person who sold the tire know you wanted to put it on your car or maybe he just thought you wanted to roll it down the road . lol
libertyman

Postby gyre » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:36 pm

You two morons are the kind of people that rob people (because it's so clever) and when you get shot to death, the rest of us laugh and laugh
(because it's so funny, if not so clever).
Funny stuff.
gyre

Postby libertyman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:49 pm

i have to say that i have seen him in action and he does know how to deal with idiots[/quote]

gyre ,
Is there any chance this gas station attendent had to deal with you ? Sounds like you fit the mold .

You do have a great day
libertyman

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:38 pm

libertyman wrote:you have be the stupidest person on this planet to buy back your own gas cap
I call bullshit. There are way more stupider people on the planet. Skipping George W. Bush adn the rest of the "they'll greet us with flowers" crowd, you've still got billions to chose from. Janet Jackson, perhaps?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:54 am

libertyman wrote:i have to say that i have seen him in action and he does know how to deal with idiots

gyre ,
Is there any chance this gas station attendent had to deal with you ? Sounds like you fit the mold .

You do have a great day

I'm sure I fit your definition, since I don't think it's all that clever to cheat or rob someone when they trust you.

I've met several people at the gas station.
They didn't give me any problem.
gyre

Postby libertyman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:36 am

gyre
so what your saying is you still have your gas cap . lol
libertyman

Postby gyre » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:49 am

So far.
gyre

Postby libertyman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:02 am

janeees,
did I read that you were stupid enough to let kids put gas in your water tank ? And now 2 years after the fact you want to take it to court . I can only say this.

If you are so ignorant that you don't know where the gas goes in your rv please do us all a big favor . STAY THE HELL OFF THE HIGHWAY !!!!
libertyman

Postby mars » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 am

Well, it may seem "stupid" to you (and I DO have a sense of humor about it)...but it was dark outside, it was hectic with cars coming in and out and trying to maneuver a large vehicle, it was the end of a 12-hour trek and we were exhausted and we had no reason to believe we would be ripped off by people we purposely patronizing in order to give our support to the local community.

One of my main reasons for this thread is to educate burners on what they might expect while they are rolling into burning man, so they don't have to feel as "stupid" as we do.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby jackmack » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:27 am

well it has been a good story that I will spread far and wide... humorous as well as educational... however the real "Truth" may remain elusive forever...

everyone mark your gas caps right now! (RFID/GPS will help)

and remember what Bush has to say about being fooled twice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

jackmack

Postby wedeliver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:57 pm

mars wrote:Check this out...hurry, I don't know how long it will last:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerlach,_Nevada

Read the section called "Economy"--last few lines...

It seemed like the purpose of the thread was to effect business in Empire by saying they ripped people off. With only yours and at this time two other stories I have to doubt that ripping people off is how they make money in Empirel

Mars, you had added to the Wikipedia info about Empire that they had a couple of scams going on in Empire. That was wrong to do in my opinion, in view of the lack of other people scammed in Empire. At least thats what I think.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby wedeliver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:08 pm

FYI, at this time the "ROCKET PEOPLE" are meeting on the Black Rock and launching their rockets high into the sky,

http://www.aeropac.org/

and here is what can happen to someone.. anyone.. you or me

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2 ... husky.html

Rocket people stop and visit with us on their way to and from their launches..

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby mars » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:22 pm

It seemed like the purpose of the thread was to effect business in Empire by saying they ripped people off. With only yours and at this time two other stories I have to doubt that ripping people off is how they make money in Empirel

Mars, you had added to the Wikipedia info about Empire that they had a couple of scams going on in Empire. That was wrong to do in my opinion, in view of the lack of other people scammed in Empire. At least thats what I think.

Well, there were several purposes of this thread...i wanted to see if there were other people out there who had this happen to them...i wanted to see if anyone had any good prank-back ideas...and, mostly, I wanted to warn others burners so they don't get "pranked".

I know it was only 10 bucks, but I just feel pissed about it...my gas cap leash is broken and now i'm reminded of it every time i get gas. And since the cap is no longer attached, I probably WILL lose it somewhere.

As far as the wikipedia thing goes, it has been my only way to really "get them back" and i consider it a harmless prank...just like what they did to me...i know it's immature, and i'm not usually like this, but i feel it's fair to get about $10 back in fun.[/quote]
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby mars » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:25 pm

wedeliver wrote:
and here is what can happen to someone.. anyone.. you or me

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2 ... husky.html

Very cool story!!! Too bad Steve Fossett wasn't that lucky.
mars

Postby wedeliver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Mars. I am sorry that you had this negative experience and perhaps you were taken advantage of. I recommend you stop at Auto Zone and get a replacement chain for your gas cap. It is easier to loose if not chained up. Perhaps invest in a locking gas cap, what with the price of fuel and all.

The Empire store and Gerlach business's are all necessary cogs in the BM wheel. 51 weeks out of the year they are all there is for those who go to Black Rock High Rock. Treat them well, leave no trace.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby libertyman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:19 pm

mars
It's a good thing you only got your gas cap stolen. Here in New York they would take your whole damn car. Wait, let's back up a minute. Maybe your car was a piece of junk and they thought the gas cap was the only thing worth taken. Wait, let's back up a minute.They gave it back. The gas cap was another piece of junk like the rest of your car , and like all the junk I saw along the highway 447 between I80 and Empire . By the way did you pay for all that junk along highway to be cleaned up. I know you didn't . The Nevada tax payers did as I saw nevada department of transportation with their big dump trucks and front end loaders cleaning up the junk trailers that crashed before they got to burning man and not to mention the garbage.
I'm starting to think that i am ashamed to be a burning man participant only because of people like you mars , here in New york we have some idiots but mars you have won the prize for first place idiot . Mars do us all a big favor , stay the hell home !!!! Assholes like you just ruin the event .
libertyman

Postby libertyman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:42 pm

It's getting late here in New York and I need to get some sleep. But first I have to say one more thing. Mars after reading this thread it sounds like you are such an asshole that I am suprised that the gas station attendent didn't take your gas cap and shove it up your ass!!!
libertyman

Postby mars » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:47 am

Hmmmm....why do i get the feeling that Libertyman works in Empire?
mars

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:33 am

Libertyman, the question is always, "Is any of this person's junk worth dying for?"

I can guarantee that everyone values their personal security over yours.
People that steal are always ready to do violence, because other people don't matter to them.

Mars, your carry permit isn't good in Nevada, due to cali not honoring other state's permits.
There's always tear gas and tasers.
California is messed up.
My permit covers everything from Pennsylvania to Nevada, except CA, OR, WA, IA, WI, IL and Nebraska.
California permits are only honored in 12 other states.

It's a good thing you only got your gas cap stolen. Here in New York they would take your whole damn car. Wait, let's back up a minute. Maybe your car was a piece of junk and they thought the gas cap was the only thing worth taken. Wait, let's back up a minute.They gave it back. The gas cap was another piece of junk like the rest of your car ,

For anyone that still doesn't get it, this is the value thieves put on other people lives.
Only what they can take.
The secret is out.

Have you proposed to the media in Reno that they do a story with a hidden camera?
I have seen these done many times.
TV stations love doing stuff like this.
It's very easy to put cameras in position to catch this kind of robbery and fraud.
Prosecutors love video too.
Not really a prank, but funny to see on the news.
gyre

Postby hsdavis » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:49 am

libertyman wrote:It's getting late here in New York and I need to get some sleep. But first I have to say one more thing. Mars after reading this thread it sounds like you are such an asshole that I am suprised that the gas station attendent didn't take your gas cap and shove it up your ass!!!

Libertyman, even someone with a 5th grade education knows that if you shove a gas cap up someones ass, you will be charged with assault. Theft and assault are not good things to have on your record no matter where you live.

By the way, I Love NY! How's the weather this time of year?
hsdavis

Postby libertyman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am

The weather is great , it's my fovorite time of year
libertyman

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man