Empire Scammers

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby goathead » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:30 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh for dwag's sake, don't make this about Kinetic. So, he has different experiences than you, makes different choices than you, and expresses opinions you don't like..

It's not about Kinetic, its about the store. He's happy it's gone.
We would just like our store back.
Would have liked a gallon of milk today.
But it would be a 100+ mile drive to get one.

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh, and he swears.

So do a lot of people here, whats your point?

theCryptofishist wrote: Yeah, let's build a bonfire, belittle him for hours then roast him. That'll learn him to be different.

Happens here all the time, going soft now? I have seen you roast a few yourself.
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby Discosybil » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:19 am

I'm not dissing Kinetic, just tired of him constantly wishing the worst for a town before they can get another store up and running. We're in a recession, even though Bush doesn't want to admit it under his term.

A town has lost it's store, the people will have to drive 100+ miles to get their goods, hunters, campers and just anybody passing through who thought they would be able to hit Empire for what ever emergency came up during their trip will be out of luck. The gals who worked were employed are out of a job which would be horrible this time of year before the holidays.

I realize he had a bad experience and have no problem with him talking about his experience, but to wish the worst on the town and say good riddance..... I don't have a lot of respect for his views.

As for language, I too can have a mouth like a truck driver but I choose to show some respect to all those on the eplaya discussion board.

Hopefully a store will be up and running by next year. I personally would like to see BM LLC open a store and another gas station in Empire or Gerlach. For now though, I worry about the families affected by the store closing with the Holidays approaching, the economy at it's worst and having to drive so far for nessesites without the paycheck needed. It's not just about the adults who will be hurting, but kids are involved too.

In short, I can speak about this and not be talking out my ass. You on the other hand...not so much. Feel free to try and choke out some kind of rebuttal, I'll trash it too.

Again, thank Dog it's gone, and good riddance...it's time to build something better out there.

I guess I feel I can talk about this too because I'm passionate about about families and a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Kat
Discosybil

Postby gyre » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Every small town deserves a good store.
Are there really no others closer than the freeway?
gyre

Postby wedeliver » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:43 pm

gyre wrote:Every small town deserves a good store.

Nixon, Nevada. 60 miles from Gerlach (ranch is 20 miles past Gerlach)

Otherwise Fernley, Nv. Smiths Market 85 miles one way.

Where I am it is 30 Miles to the Tulelake Market (Jocks), although we shop in Klamath Falls, Or which is 60 miles each way.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby goathead » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:34 pm

wedeliver wrote:
gyre wrote:Every small town deserves a good store.

Nixon, Nevada. 60 miles from Gerlach (ranch is 20 miles past Gerlach)

Otherwise Fernley, Nv. Smiths Market 85 miles one way.

Where I am it is 30 Miles to the Tulelake Market (Jocks), although we shop in Klamath Falls, Or which is 60 miles each way.

Thank you. yep 120 mile round trip, just to Nixon. At which time you might as well just drive the extra miles into Fernley.

Talk about
Fuck your Day....
goathead

Store reopening to come asap

Postby hunterandmakaelasmommy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:17 pm

My grandfather Don Marks has owned the empire store for over 20 years. It is a family store and we are trying to get it back up and running for the residents of Empire and also for the burners that enjoy the store for that one week a year. My grandfather leased out the store to a horrible man that has done some horrible things to many people.. We have just gained access back to the store and are trying our best to get the funds up for the store as the last guy made the store impossible to open in every way he could think of. For those of you that are willing to help we are asking for donations of shelves refridgerators or any supplies that you may have. We are trying to get a fundraiser set up here in reno and have many people helping with this fundraiser. I will post more information about this as we get it set up. Our family would appreciate any help at all with getting a legitament store up and running for you guys again and we apologize for the inconvience with the store being closed at the moment. Thanks Felecia
hunterandmakaelasmommy

Postby regynalonglank » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:35 pm

thank you for the update :) I'm glad you were able to wade through all of that and still deliver your message with some grace. I hope it all works out for your family, and the store, and that you get to come up and post a happy ending/grand re-opening announcement soon.

although I have rarely needed it, I have always appreciated the option of stopping at the store and soaking in the last of the consumerism possibilities. it's tradition for our group to get sandwiches and t-shirts, just cuz we like to support local business, and it's fun to poke around and get out of the car for a while.

course that's nothing compared to being able to get milk so you can feed your kid before school, bleeve me, I know! good luck and keep us posted.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

Postby Discosybil » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Hunter and Mikayla's mom,

Thank you for the update and do keep us updated on the progress. I would love to help out when it comes time to fundraise and hope that your family's store thrives when it does reopen.

Good luck!

Sinerely
Kat
Discosybil

Postby gyre » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:24 pm

For store shelving, check out stores re-locating or closing.
I bought racks from a closed store for about $45 each and only paid that much to bypass the auction.
I have even seen them given away.
gyre

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Felicia...when you get the fundraiser up and running, I will contribute to it. I understand the need for a store out there...and I will gladly support it now that the previous management is gone.

As for the other comments made about me, I have my opinion, I expressed it, people dug up my old comments and tried to smear me with 'em...and I really could care less. I don't even own the RV now...I sold it as I can't store it out here where I'm at in Colorado and my life is so much different now..it's lightyears from where I was 12 months ago. Anyway I felt the store as it was run was run into the ground and the comments I read would validate that opinion. And it was exactly that...an opinion. Take it or leave it.

Felicia, I really do wish you the best of luck with reopening the store...and if you do get it up and running, I will make it a point to skip buying my gas in Winnemucca and I will give you my business....and bring others along too. Let's see...spending my money with a family owned business or sending it to Bentonville, AR....that's easy. Bentonville doesn't need any more money from me than it already gets.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:01 am

thats all well and good, but more importantly, what about Shrek? And the DonKey?

i can think of something that they could do together that might just get you some national headlines....
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby goathead » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:10 am

And with this I need to bow out now.
I will be doing business with whoever opens the store.
goathead

Empire store

Postby Not Sure » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:16 am

If you fucking burners don't like Empire stay the FUCK home and leave us alone. For the time that you ass holes are here we are stuck at home while you freaks walk around our town. The Empire store caters to you for almost a month and us locals have to endure massive lines at the store, traffic to hell and back and the " leave no trace" is bull shit because we see traces of you for weeks after though all your garbage from here to Reno on the road.
Not Sure

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Well if you ever investigated BM at all you would know that the LNT thing is a farse and we all laugh about it on the playa. Secondly, everyone has to take an ass hole test before the ticket purchase goes thru. This way they can assure that only assholes go to BM. This in turn gives us a chance to make more of a mess of your purty town.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Re: Empire store

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Not Sure wrote:If you fucking burners don't like Empire stay the FUCK home and leave us alone. For the time that you ass holes are here we are stuck at home while you freaks walk around our town. The Empire store caters to you for almost a month and us locals have to endure massive lines at the store, traffic to hell and back and the " leave no trace" is bull shit because we see traces of you for weeks after though all your garbage from here to Reno on the road.

The garbage is a problem...no it's a disgrace. But remember, all those burners you hate are paying taxes that allows NDOT to keep 447 in good repair year round, and there are many other benefits as well.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Badger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:46 pm

If you fucking burners don't like Empire stay the FUCK home and leave us alone. For the time that you ass holes are here we are stuck at home while you freaks walk around our town. The Empire store caters to you for almost a month and us locals have to endure massive lines at the store, traffic to hell and back and the " leave no trace" is bull shit because we see traces of you for weeks after though all your garbage from here to Reno on the road.

Pffffttt.....<snore>
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Sail Man » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Oh great :!: A snoring Badger. What could be worse, a farting Firemoose? :shock:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby hunterandmakaelasmommy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:53 pm

Thank you for the info on store closings I will look into that as well. We are getting started on cleaning the store and hope to have it up and running as quickly as possible. We are still working out the details for a fundraiser and there will be an article in the reno gazette either tomarrow or friday for those of you interested. On the day it is published I will let everyone know. Thank you for the support. We still need as much help as possible so if anyone has anything they can help with please let me know. Thank you so much.

Felecia
hunterandmakaelasmommy

Postby spectabillis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Not Sure wrote:If you fucking burners don't like Empire stay the FUCK home and leave us alone....

i think you should start training to go all cho on people next year.

spectabillis

Postby goathead » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Not Sure wrote:If you fucking burners don't like Empire stay the FUCK home and leave us alone. For the time that you ass holes are here we are stuck at home while you freaks walk around our town. The Empire store caters to you for almost a month and us locals have to endure massive lines at the store, traffic to hell and back and the " leave no trace" is bull shit because we see traces of you for weeks after though all your garbage from here to Reno on the road.

Ahhh, bullshit. The only time it's bad is the week of and a couple days of Exodous. As far as the trash, DPW picks that up, they also pick up everyone else inclueding the beer bottles and crap from us locals.
I saw less "blow off' trash this year then ever before. I was really impressed.

Not only that but just how much has Burning Man donated to
the schools here, Lovelock, Wadsworth? I know its more then USG has.
goathead

Postby goathead » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:27 pm

spectabillis wrote:
Not Sure wrote:If you fucking burners don't like Empire stay the FUCK home and leave us alone....

i think you should start training to go all cho on people next year.

Not a very fucking wise thing to do.
goathead

Postby goathead » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Kinetic V wrote:The garbage is a problem...no it's a disgrace. But remember, all those burners you hate are paying taxes that allows NDOT to keep 447 in good repair year round, and there are many other benefits as well.

He's talking crap, just a local who hates Burning Man and it really doesn't matter what you say to him, he won't change.

BTW, there was less trash this year then any other year from what I saw.
DWP did a fantastic job cleaning up what there was also.
goathead

Re: Store reopening to come asap

Postby goathead » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:57 pm

hunterandmakaelasmommy wrote: My grandfather leased out the store to a horrible man that has done some horrible things to many people..

Just a little word of advice, that, "horrible man" has many friends here.
People that you will be depending on to do business with. It might be better if you kept your feeling about Donny to yourself. There are many that might just say the same thing about your family over all of this.
goathead

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:07 am

wow....this is so much better than watching tyra.
fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:29 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:wow....this is so much better than watching tyra.

But not as much as the WEW.
goathead

Postby pinemom » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:58 am

My My...cant we all just get-a-bong?

I think any and all help to a small Business owner/s is both beneficial to both parties!
In the day and age that the small business owner is a endagered species, everyone should help in EVERY town across the American landscape.
When you can, go to the little mom and pops places instead of the supermegarobotic.

I also know there are times when your own pocketbook says you have to frequent the biggy store.

Yup I didnt read all 4 pages of this...just this last one...but it pretty well sums it up....there was a particular person that may not have run a small business up to good old fashion home welcoming type standards.

I do beleive that just like Hot August nights, street Vibrations, rib cook off...etc... etc... support the business' of Reno proper....That the Burningman Gang helps support Empire, Nixon and Gerlach.

Yes, it sucks for the locals, cause there are soooo many that dont respect a town, leave trash, are rude,park wrong...etc... etc...
Living in Tahoe for 27 yrs, we had ALL KINDS of that all yr long. Picking up trash after shitty tourists, putting up with being short changed outa the local sale at the supermarket, ...etc.....
But they paid my bills...IE....Every job in one way or another up there was created only because there ARE tourists....and They need Everything to have their creature comforts covered. Down side...putting up with them....up side Eating,Paying for your heat and rent/mortgage, putting clothes on your children and selves back.

To ever up there is a down.for every down there is a up.

hunterandmakaelasmommy...

The Reno Decompression party is Oct.18th ...maybe you could have a donation can or even plan for a clean up work day in the spring...
Announce it at the party...or put a flyer up on the door of the "Underground bar" so all can see it.
Get on Reno List, so they can help spread the word of your needs.
Do a raffle...get a cool odd piece of strange art/a camlbak/a sleeping bag/a painted chair?..whatever...sell tickets all yr long...do the drawing on The first Monday of the event, so when the burners are driving home they can stop and see if they won.
Maybe advertise your own Recyling center....Glass and aluminum only
Yes, you'll definately have to man it, and everyone will have to understand they will have to have the aluminum crushed and the plastic bottle tops removed PRIOR...sort thier own stuff with a supervisor of some sort so you dont end up with trash from hell...
But do you have any idea how much $$$$$$ you would make on just that idea alone!?!?
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:05 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srtIf8UFqsw[/youtube]

yes goathead, i agree....the WEW is better than Tyra....it must be the strange ground where the right meets the left.
fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:00 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:yes goathead, i agree....the WEW is better than Tyra....it must be the strange ground where the right meets the left.

Yep where right meets left, on the playa, where we can agree on all sorts of things. Did you see the fruit cocktail wrestling a few years ago?
goathead

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:04 am

Did you see the fruit cocktail wrestling a few years ago?

i'm going to have to pull a reagan on that one, i dont recall, but i might have...

was it a gay camp? or am i looking into the name too much.
fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Did you see the fruit cocktail wrestling a few years ago?

i'm going to have to pull a reagan on that one, i dont recall, but i might have...

was it a gay camp? or am i looking into the name too much.

Remember, he died for your sins.
I am not even sure myself what year it was for sure, 02, 03?
But back to wrestling, it could have been, but not while I was there.
Was sure fun to watch though.
goathead

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man