Does La Contessa's Banishment from BM = Bush Re-election?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Does La Contessa's Banishment from BM = Bush Re-election?

Postby Isotopia » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:17 am

Assuming that banishment is the fate of our resident roaming leviathon...

Prove me wrong.

Essays due by 10am - me buckos.
Last edited by Isotopia on Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isotopia

Postby Smokey » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:19 pm

I believe the bush administration plans to sit this one out till right before elections at which time he will pardon the contessa. He will then give a speach in which he tries to relate to our radical culture and lifestyle. By doing so, it will eliminate the image he has created for himself that he only cares about helping his rich buddies out, because lets face it, artists are poor.

The country will rejoice! Finally a president that cares for the little people!

And right after the election, he will put a 20% tariff on all art shipped out of San Francisco to pay for the building of smoking rooms on all the houses of his croanies. After artists and art admireres assemble in protest, he will deem San Fransisco a state of emergency, deem all artists terrorists, deem all people who appreciate art "sympathizers", have them all arrested as enemy combatants and have them shipped to Cuba, at which point the Unites States will win both a moral victory for religon and a military victory against terrorism.

Don't believe me? just wait and see!
If everyone in the ghetto were on mushrooms and E, the ghetto would be a place everyone would WANT to be.
Smokey

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:31 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Badger » Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:57 pm

<HOWLING!!>
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Re: Does La Contessa's Banishment from BM = Bush Re-election

Postby dirtytuba » Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:41 pm

poop
Last edited by dirtytuba on Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtytuba

Postby Badger » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:22 pm

elite

I get so tingly when I hear/read that word.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:49 am

If I'm not mistaken, La Contessa had/has a fat Burning Man grant, its own Black Rock summer event, and a free berth at the ranch.

You could always turn it into a museum.

Somewhere.

Else.

Bob

Postby dirtytuba » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:35 am

poop
Last edited by dirtytuba on Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtytuba

Postby Chai Guy » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:47 am

...had to buy full price tickets.

...people are still out thousands of dollars.

Sounds like every theme camp I've ever participated in.

(I have to say though, that if I was giving out money to people to do art. La Contessa would be at the top of the list and I would have taken the money they gave to the Rev. Billy and given that to you guys as well.)
Chai Guy

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:11 pm

dirtytuba wrote:check your sources...
grant didn't even cover half their costs. the first year not all workers got tickets and most of the band had to buy full price tickets. second year there were still some musicians that had to buy tickets. so even after numerous fund raisers, and this so called "fat" grant, people are still out thousands of dollars. and the berth, Hah! they cut the cord and found better accomidations.

and the summer event... "Dinner Party" was fab, although it was a pocket drain. will need better planning next time and high ticket price.

So... you got a Burning Man grant for an art car, you got comp tickets, you had a parking spot and work space at the ranch for an art car for a year, you spent thousands of dollars just like any theme camp, you still get free publicity on the Burning Man website, whatever dinner party thing you're doing now...

And now you're bitching people out on the eplaya over the privileges that should be afforded a three-year old art car.

Ya know, it's enough to give art fags like me a bad name. Truthfully, I know nothing about "La Contessa's Banishment" or the reasons why -- all I know is that your smarmy, enraged, yet anonymous whining on the eplaya -- God forbid you people should have an inkling of a sense of humor about piracy or dinner parties or whatever it is you do -- makes me wish Carp Camp had finished the job after ramming yer sides & sunk yer pompous asses last year.

Bob

Postby Diadochi04 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:32 pm

It looks to me like it's time to build a USS Iowa replica with some active defensive measures to replace the beautiful La Contessa. Damn...politics aside for some of us she adds to the surrealness of BRC and she will be missed. Think about it...ships in the desert, it's the stuff of dreams and fairy tales yet for 3 years the dream came alive!

La Contessa will be missed! She was truly a work of art.
Diadochi04

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:44 pm

How about asking whether the thing could be parked somewhere at the event, like that big bathtub toy? Add telescopes and sextants and it may even fit some sort of a theme. Just spare us the tears, for god's sake --

Thar's No Cryin' In Freebootyin'.

Bob

lmao burn baby burn

Postby dj big E » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:07 pm

burn it ! :twisted: lmao is theyre a better way for a land ship to die .I think not! I say hook up some remote controls light it at the man and drive it north out into the abyss.. thats just this sick dj's idea fuck the politicking burn it.And fuck george bush and all the fear his regime spews. dj big "E" laugh don't cry mother fucker
dj big E

Postby Badger » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:25 pm

Damn...politics aside for some of us she adds to the surrealness of BRC...

Equally surrreal is several tons of engine powered wood blindly driving about the playa and scratching up multiple near misses of people walking and cycling about the playa. I don't know that politics play so much into the Contessa's demise as sheer arrogance and wreckless disregard for basic safety exhibited by a few individuals who were operating the thing.

Sure, the argument can be made that all particpants read the back of their ticket and willingly assume the risk of injury or worse but there are some expectations that a good number of us can (or should) reasonably believe will be exhibited by a group operatig such a massive rig. Adherence to the conditions set forth by DMV in granting the operatin permit being the primary one.

the first year not all workers got tickets and most of the band had to buy full price tickets. second year there were still some musicians that had to buy tickets. so even after numerous fund raisers, and this so called "fat" grant, people are still out thousands of dollars.

Fascinating that shit tossing the word 'elite' a few posts back was done while the 600 lb version of 'entitlement' sits over in the corner.
Last edited by Badger on Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Isotopia » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:48 pm

I have to say though, that if I was giving out money to people to do art. La Contessa would be at the top of the list and I would have taken the money they gave to the Rev. Billy

But Chai, Rev. Billy's doing the Lords(TM) work.

And that takes money.

Can I get an 'amen' here?
Isotopia

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:41 am

dirtytuba wrote:Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:41 pm
poop
Last edited by dirtytuba on Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:35 am
poop
Last edited by dirtytuba on Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

¿La Contessa No Contesta?

Señorita Isotopia -- is it too late to propose
red states = Master and Commander
blue states = Lord of the Rings: Return of the King?

Quien es mas macho --
John Ronald Reuel "JRR" Tolkien o Richard "Patrick O'Brian II" Russ?

Don't have the screenplays in front of me, so let's compare two first-chapter paragraphs.

O'Brian wrote:The Crown, where Jack was staying, had a certain resemblance to its famous namesake in Portsmouth: it had the same immense gilt and scarlet sign hanging up outside, a relic of former British occupations, and the house had been built about 1750 in the purest English taste, with no concessions whatever to the Mediterranean except for the tiles; but there the likeness stopped. The landlord was from Gibralter and the staff was Spanish, or rather Minorcan; the place smelt of olive oil, sardines and wine; and there was not the least possibility of a Bakewell tart, an Eccles cake or even a decent suet pudding. Yet, on the other hand, no English inn could produce a chambermaid so very like a dusky peach as Mercedes. She bounced out on to the dim landing, filling it with vitality and a kind of glow, and she called up the stairs, 'A letter, Teniente: I bring him . . . ' A moment later she was at his side, smiling with innocent delight: but he was only too clearly aware of what any letter addressed to him might have in it, and he did not respond with anything more than a mechanical jocosity and a vague dart at her bosom.

uh, right... [yawn...] and that very same night: a night of destiny and the goings and comings of Minorcan chambermaids: the ghost of Edward Bulwer Lytton stormed darkly: narrowly avoiding slippage on the olive-oil-slickened Mediterranean tiles: suddenly, a fart rang out in Jack's general direction: but even before the relict intestinal gases of the overlong-dead English novelist wafted toward his aquiline nose, the tempting odor of sardines overcame all, and Jack dove like an Asian Pacific Islander back toward the source: Mercedes' oyster-like womanhood...

and Tolkien wrote:Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began. The dark world was rushing by and the wind sang loudly in his ears. He could see nothing but the wheeling stars, and away to his right vast shadows against the sky where the mountains of the South marched past. Sleepily he tried to reckon the times and stages of their journey, but his memory was drowsy and uncertain.

Methinks Gandalf might have had a bite or two of Master Pippin hisself, eh wot, precious?

And methinks as well as it's a right toss-up: Bush wins if he can finish the job Blair started by merging the English-speaking-only portion of the UKoGBaNI with the USofA before the primaries, dump that walking corpse of a v.p., draft Blair as his running mate, and fix the polls up in East Anglia by opening up the pubs early and pouring the Greene King IPA with God Bless America blasting over the speakers: it's not as far-fetched a yard-arm as one might pickle, and no mistake.

Bob

Postby Badger » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:04 pm

<snortage>

I need to install a wiper on my monitor.

BTW Richard "Patrick O'Brian II" Russ es mas macho.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby KellY » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:33 pm

Boromir, Captain Jack Aubrey, Patrick O'Brian II, and Extra Action M.B. are macho.

Aragorn, Tolkien, and selected members of DPW and the Rangers are heroic.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:31 am

WTF? What's happened to La Contessa?

Postby stuart » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:51 pm

some fuckies were driving the thing way fast
they were told to please obey the speed limit
repeatedly
they did not comply
apparently they can now drive it as fast as they want on the playa, those other 51 weeks of the year.
stuart

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:27 pm

And wrecklessly. You forgot wrecklessly.
Isotopia

Postby stuart » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:21 pm

yeah, wrecklessly... and, and, and the wacky J-Turn parking job I witnessed one sunrise.
stuart

Postby BitchyWolverine » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:44 am

thank god that motherf***in' lunk of rotten wood won't be there. bunch of arrogant bastards that think that driving around a ship-o-the-desert affords them some sort of special privileges (like being assholes and not follow the speedlimit?). if they want to indulge in frat-party exclusionary antics, let them take it to a college town. you take a freakin' art car to BM and parade it around, you expect people to want to see it. or is that just for "cool" people?

"Ahhhhhh...the glorious Contessa! Let me bask in your waning glow!"

:twisted:

*If you don't want to share with the other children on the playground, go away or don't bring it to school! Better yet, shove it up yer ass!*
BitchyWolverine

Postby stuart » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:09 pm

wasn't the plan to light the fucker on fire at the end of '02 anyway?
stuart

Postby Badger » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:13 pm

wasn't the plan to light the fucker on fire at the end of '02 anyway?

I know it was the plan by several groups of irate people who'd encountered near misses with the thing this year.
Last edited by Badger on Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby dirtytuba » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:42 am

BitchyWolverine wrote:bunch of arrogant bastards

oh, I get all tingley when I hear that phrase....
dirtytuba

Postby Badger » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:03 pm

Tingley can be a response when donning a shoe that fits.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby dirtytuba » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:59 pm

Badger wrote:
elite

I get so tingly when I hear/read that word.

tingly can be a response when donning a shoe that fits
dirtytuba

Postby BitchyWolverine » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:51 am

dirtytuba wrote:
BitchyWolverine wrote:bunch of arrogant bastards

mmmmmm....yummy....sluuuuuurp! :twisted:
BitchyWolverine

Postby Badger » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:11 am

tingly can be a response when donning a shoe that fits

Marlin fishing.

There ain't nothing like it.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man