Oh yes, some moments of truth, in the black rock desert

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Oh yes, some moments of truth, in the black rock desert

Postby Madrone » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:03 am

As a woman I experienced a particular area on the outer rd, a whole block of men yelling out as I rode by. I yelled back, hey is this red neck alley. Laughed at them. I went to burning man 93, 94, 95 and had not been back until this year. I was amazed at how much shit people are willing to lug all the way out to the playa. Awed by the beauty and saddened at how much alcohol was involved. Moved at the open kindness people showed me and grossed out by the porta potties, yet I loved those poor guys who had to clean up our shit. They really had a sense of humour.

I loved the no exchange of money. I felt people gave me a lot. Meals, drinks, necklaces, kisses, glow lights, back massages, foot massages, funny hair doo's. Naked swims in the community pool were a highlight, put on by the blackrock beach club, great idea for a bunch of guys and gals from Reno to come and set up a pool sit back with a few beers and watch the ass. I liked those guys so much I gave them a tits on your head treat. They truley liked that. Took a picture and gave me a cold beer.

I had ass chaff from my bike seat, bloody boogers up my nose, hair that looked like I got attcked by an angry cat doing crochet in my golden locks. I rode around in my friends fire engine, taking night trips to the art and the wild distant parties, I watched it build night after night after night. I saw the stream of crazy art cars moving like ants to the burn, watched some women cry their loss into the flames. Heard a gestapo type guy yelling via megaphone on his bus, challenging everyone if they had helped or contributed money if not get off. I slept in my dust filled truck, with my funky earplugs, ate weird food, sucked vodka off a two foot block of ice, while being whipped with rabbit fur. Sat in a small kids pool talking about how some cocks grow and others show, and having demos of such from the obliging folks in the pool. I watched a plane crash at the trash fence, and rode naked with 2000 other women, got served by men in bow ties and small aprons. Became a slave at Pinkys for five minutes. Talked to a cop who had his parents sitting in the back seat quietly watching. Whilst on a wild trip visited the sonic runway, and had my mind blown for an instant. Broke the rules on Monday and went onto the playa with my car, saw a turd under the chandelier that did not look human. Wasted an entire gallon of water washing my hair, it felt so good. Kissed a man unknown, and gave psychic readings to a beautiful man I met at the airport and his lovely girlfriend. Did I have a good time. YES. Has it changed oh yes, some so great a profound and some ugly and useless. I will go back as I love the desert, I love being my freaky self with others all around, I am so' in this city of mine by the bay, but its so good with so much company.
Madrone

except for...

Postby Chai Guy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:19 am

I loved the no exchange of money.

Except for the Coffee, Lemonade, and Chai that was for sale in the Cafe, and ice.
Chai Guy

Postby icarus » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:04 pm

Sure seems like someone oughta do something about that selling at centercamp thing, eh?

RHCP: "Give it away, give it away now..."

also, madrone, beautiful prose...thanks for sharing your decade's worth of perspective.
icarus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:43 pm

Occurs every morning at the burn:

Will there be toilet paper in the Porta Potty!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Return to Experiences at Burning Man