How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Postby try_me » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:29 am

David Best is a renowned artist who has been the designer of the Temple at Burning Man from 2000 through 2004 and in 2007. This is the story of how I met David Best. And took his keys.

On Tuesday morning of Burning Man, a blast from an air horn woke me up. It was surprisingly loud, but this is Burning Man, where loud sounds are de rigeur. I have a sense of humor, and mischief is a long-standing tradition at Burning Man, so I ignored it and started to go back to sleep. About a minute later, the air horn went off again and I ignored it and started to go back to sleep. About the fourth time this happened, I was seriously pissed off and decided to get out of bed and have a violent verbal interaction with whomever was blowing that god damned air horn. But by the time I found my glasses, the air horn had stopped and was nowhere to be found.

On Wednesday morning of Burning Man, a blast from an air horn woke me up. Before I was even fully awake, I snatched up my glasses and ran, completely naked, out of bed, out of the dome, and through our camp into the street. I looked both directions and didn't see anything that looked like an air horn, but then I heard it again, out by the playa on the other side of 10:00, and I took off in that direction. As I came out onto the playa, I saw the air-horn car. It was a motorized, three-wheeled riding vehicle towing a trailer. On the trailer was an air compressor about the size and shape of one of those car-top cargo carriers. A mast stuck up from the front of the trailer and two air horns were attached to the top of it.

I started to walk towards the car, intending to give the driver a piece of my mind, when I noticed a bicyclist ride up and start talking to the driver. I took advantage of the driver's distraction to circle around the back of the trailer and examine the compressor. On the back of the compressor was a start/run switch and a key. Wanting to make a point to the driver, I turned the key, and sure enough, the compressor turned off.

At this point, I expected the driver to notice that the compressor was off. I guessed that he might say something like, "Hey! What are you doing!" and I might say, "Turning off your fucking air horn, you asshole!" Except he didn't notice that the compressor was off. Maybe he was just distracted by the bicyclist. Maybe he was deaf from listening to his own air horn all day. Eventually, he would notice, but would my point be made? Probably not. He would just turn it back on again. And he hadn't even noticed me yet. I might as well have been invisible.

I walked back to the compressor, took out the keys, and dashed back to my camp as fast as I could. There was no more air horn for the rest of the burn. Every morning, we slept until the heat forced us out of the dome.

Later, I thought to myself, "That air-horn driver looked like David Best." My friend said that it probably was just a guy who looked like him. My other friend said that it was totally David Best. So I went back and asked him and he said that he was, in fact, David Best. I shook his hand. "I love your temples," I said, "but I hate your fucking air horn." He explained that he was blowing the air horn because there was a sound camp nearby that he didn't like, and he blew the horn in the morning in response to their music. "You're waking up everybody in a three-block radius," I said. He seemed to think that I would take some solace in knowing that his intent was to target the sound camp. "They took my keys," he said, "but we're going to figure out a way to get the compressor working again and hang the horn from a crane over their camp and blow it." Great.

Anyway, now that I had the keys, I had a little bit of a moral quandry. Should I give them back to him, my point made? I didn't want to actually damage or destroy his equipment because I would consider that to be outside the scope of the prank that I was intending to pull. On the other hand, if I gave the keys back to him, was he going to say, "Aw shucks, you got me. I didn't know my air horn was that annoying. I'll cut it out." I mean, the only apparent purpose of this vehicle was to drive around and blow an air horn. I'm thinking that the driver knows it's annoying, doesn't care, and intends to keep using it. So I decided not to give his keys back, and if he had to pay to re-key the compressor, then that would be his asshole tax for this year. But somebody pointed out to me that the Temple's theme this year was the Temple of Forgiveness, and I couldn't resist the poetry of "forgiving" the Temple's designer himself even though I would rather have said, "fuck off" and kept the keys.

On Saturday, I took a [url=http://pics.livejournal.com/jb_27/pic/000b961z/]copper-and-brass necklace[/url] that I had made to gift and strung the keys on the necklace string. I also took a [url=http://www.joshuabardwell.com/FOL.jpg]"Friend of Larry Harvey" card[/url], another gift that I made, and strung it on the necklace. I went over to Temple camp and found David Best. I walked up to him and handed him the gifts with the key visible on top, saying, "I've got some playa gifts for you. I think you'll like them. It's the Temple of Forgiveness this year, and I forgive you for blowing your air horn."

What reaction was I expecting? Best case, he would accept the gifts and have a sense of humor about the whole situation. I mean, the kind of person who goes around blowing an air horn to wake people up in the morning has to have a sense of humor, right? Heck, maybe we'd even be friends! Years from now, people would say, "How'd you guys meet," and I'd say, "Well, I was at Burning Man 2007, and there was this asshole with an air horn..." Worst case, he would tell me to fuck off, but at least he'd be glad to get his key back.

I didn't expect self-righteousness, sanctimony, and lecturing. He stood up, approached me, and said, "Let me tell you something: you don't mess with a man's tools!" He seemed adamant and even angry. His reaction was so unexpected that I didn't know how to respond. "I'm going to go now," I said, "have a nice burn." "You need to forgive yourself," he yelled after me as I went. "I already have," I shouted back, "have a nice burn."

Now, you might ask, "What did you expect? You took the keys to the guy's air compressor!" Here's my thinking: If you're the kind of guy who thinks it's funny to blow an air horn and wake up a three block radius, then you're a damn hypocrite if you get all high-and-mighty when somebody pulls a prank on you in order to disable your air horn. I mean, I don't hold the air horn against him. I don't think he's a bad guy. Burning Man is all about radical self expression, and if David Best wants to express himself with an air horn, he's well within the social contract of our little community. And so am I if I want to express myself by taking his keys away until the end of the burn. Our social contract says that we don't destroy or deface another person's art, and I didn't destroy or deface his vehicle; I just disabled it temporarily.

What about the argument that, "you don't mess with a man's tools." Are tools somehow sacrosanct? Maybe so, but if they are considered to be outside the pranking game, then they need to stay that way. The minute a civilian picks up a weapon on a field of battle, he loses theh protections of a civilian and becomes a combatant. The minute you use your air compressor to prank everybody in a three block radius, it ceases to be a "sacred tool" and is fair game. If you don't want your tools to be pranked, then don't use them to prank others. Makes sense to me. But David Best doesn't see it that way, and I know, because I told him basically that same thing, and I'll tell you how he responded.

On Sunday, after the burn was over, I felt bad about the whole interaction. I didn't feel guilty about taking the keys; I felt completely justified in that choice. I felt bad because I walked away from David when he was angry and yelling at me. I wanted to be able to offer him compassion and give him the opportunity to express his feelings and hopefully resolve them, instead of leaving him with a bunch of unresolved anger and hurt in his heart. I decided to seek him out, but I didn't want to do it without a witness, so I went out to the Temple and found a Ranger, who I'll leave nameless for the time being in case he would rather stay out of this. (Okay, I just let on that it was a male.)

I told the Ranger that I had a conflict with David Best earlier in the week, and I wanted to talk to him to try to resolve it, but I didn't want to do it without a witness. After getting a little information about the situation, the Ranger went off and came back with David. The Ranger stepped to the side and witnessed the interaction.

David was friendly and smiling, which surprised me, given the tone of our last interaction. Before I could say anything, he shook my hand and said, "I think you get it now. You don't mess with a man's tools. I accept your apology." I realized that there had been a miscommunication somewhere, and David had the idea that I had come to apologize to him for taking his keys. I hadn't come to apologize, because I thought that my actions were totally justified, but I was willing to accept his forgiveness nonetheless, and I thanked him for it. I think. I might have been speechless or stuttering while trying to figure out what to do about the miscommunication. He went on to tell a story about how he learned not to mess with another man's tools and concluded with, "... and just like I never forgot that, you'll never forget this." I said, "I walked away from you last night because I could tell that you were angry, and it was burn night, and I didn't want to get into it with you just before the burn, but I wanted to come back and give you a chance to say anything that you felt like you wanted to say, and to give you a chance to really be heard." He indicated that he felt like he'd been heard.

I said, "I have some things that I would like to say, if you'd be willing to listen to me." He said that he was listening. I said, "I understand what you're saying about not messing with a person's tools. A person's tools are their livelihood, and there is a difference between just playing a prank and messing with a person's life. I agree that messing with someone's life is a much bigger deal than just playing a prank. But I think that when you use your tools to play a prank, you lose that protection. It's because you were using the compressor to blow the air horn that I thought it was justified to take the keys (and give them back to you so no permanent damage was done)." When he heard this, he seemed to get angry again. "You didn't come here to apologize," he said, "you came here to justify your actions."

I was pretty shocked by the next thing he said. "What do you contribute to this community," he asked. (That's a direct quote, but the rest is not verbatim, and if anybody who overheard remembers his exact words, I hope they'll contact me.) "When you start contributing to this community, maybe you'll have the right to do what you did. What do you contribute? You think about this and maybe someday you'll understand what I'm talking about!" And he turned around and walked away as I held my silence. I wanted to shout back at him all the things that I contribute to the community, but really, he wasn't asking a question so much as he was making a statement.

David's question, "What do you contribute to this community," really surprised me. Obviously, few of the tens of thousands of people who come to Burning Man contribute as much to the community as David does. Frankly, if we all did contribute as much as he does, we'd have to expand the trash fence. But what does that have to do with me pranking him? Is he saying that those who contribute more should be immune from pranking by those who contribute less? Is he saying that there is a minimum contribution threshold before one can prank? I don't get it. More to the point, I would argue that creating an atmosphere of good-natured, mischevious competition is, in and of itself, contributing to the community. In other words, taking the keys to his art car was one of the things that I contributed to the community. Maybe next time he won't leave them hanging off the back of the darn thing.

But to answer his question directly, here is what I contribute to the community:

disabled an art car that was pissing off TONS of people by waking them up early in the morning. An informal survey of people in my camp shows that all of them agree that this is a significant and positive contribution to the event.

[list]I was an Alpha Ranger (a trainee) this year, and will Ranger future burns as long as the Rangers will have me.
In 2007, I learned to work brass and copper so that I could make jewelry to give out as gifts. Although I had no previous experience with jewelry-making, I made about forty medallion necklaces (image) and gave them out. I realize that making forty necklaces over the course of a year doesn't sound like very many, but each one took a ridiculous amount of work (mostly due to my low skill level).
I designed, then printed up 200 "Friend of Larry Harvey" badges and gifted them. People seemed to really enjoy them, and several times, a recipient said, "Oh, I've heard of these!" That suggests to me that the community valued my contribution.
When I heard that the bike repair camp was not going to be active this year, I brought my bike repair supplies with me to the playa and offered repair services to anybody who needed them. I repaired several peoples' bikes and helped several people assemble their bikes.
I'm the Ranger Team Lead for the group that is creating the Alchemy event in Georgia. We are creating a brand new event for burners to enjoy. Although Alchemy is not sanctioned by or officially associated with Burning Man, the attendees of Alchemy are largely burners, so I submit that counts as contributing to the community.
At night, I carried around a box of glow-bracelets and gave them out to anybody who didn't have glow. When I saw un-glowed bikes parked on the playa, I glowed them, to keep them from getting run over.[/list]
try_me

Postby kikidelosfeliz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 pm

We were near Camp Go Fuck Yourself, and there was a distinctive groundswell in favor of taking that guy's megaphone and crushing it in to small dust-sized particles. Of course, we would have left no trace...
cognitive dissident
kikidelosfeliz

Postby Dork » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Beautiful story. I'm not 100% behind your methods, but putting yourself on a pedestal (even if you designed it yourself and led its construction) at BM is not cool. I'm sorry to hear his time off did not fully recharge his batteries.
Dork

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:29 pm

Yep, that's david all right! it's ok for him to do what he does without him thinking about his actions. Someone is playing their sounds too loud, so he can go out and interupt everyone's elses sleep. YOu are just caught in the middle, you got your loud DJ on one side and you have this other guy trying to get back at the DJ being just as much an idiot!

First I would never had returned the keys unless I wanted some conflict. Next time, just leave the keys with a note. That would have been something David would have had to digest on his own. from what I have figured out about him, is that he is first a control freak, then a human. if you are confronting him he wants to control the situation. alone with just a note, he would have not gone into his defensive control attitude and would have to digest his actions.

Wasn't that called, " the temple of forgiving, David"

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Re: How I Met David Best (And Took His Keys)

Postby VikingNomad » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:26 am

try_me wrote:I started to walk towards the car, intending to give the driver a piece of my mind, when I noticed a bicyclist ride up and start talking to the driver. I took advantage of the driver's distraction to circle around the back of the trailer and examine the compressor. On the back of the compressor was a start/run switch and a key. Wanting to make a point to the driver, I turned the key, and sure enough, the compressor turned off.

At this point, I expected the driver to notice that the compressor was off. I guessed that he might say something like, "Hey! What are you doing!" and I might say, "Turning off your fucking air horn, you asshole!" Except he didn't notice that the compressor was off. Maybe he was just distracted by the bicyclist. Maybe he was deaf from listening to his own air horn all day. Eventually, he would notice, but would my point be made? Probably not. He would just turn it back on again. And he hadn't even noticed me yet. I might as well have been invisible.

I walked back to the compressor, took out the keys, and dashed back to my camp as fast as I could. There was no more air horn for the rest of the burn.

You seem to be looking for input, so here goes. I think David Best didn't respond well at any point, to the DJ, or to your attempt to discuss the issue, but I think you also made a mistake here too. I've never met David Best at all, and couldn't pick him out of a line-up. But look at the facts. You basically grabbed the guys keys, and then ran away without a word. By avoiding conflict initially, you created a higher level of conflict later.

Sure, who wants to be woken up, or have a conflict still being half asleep. But, put yourself in his shoes too. Someone just bolted with his keys without saying a word. Who knows what legitimate reasons he needed that compressor for. Surely waking up a 3 block radius isn't one of them, but the guy was working on a pretty large project and may have needed that.

I know that if someone pointed out that I was idiotically waking up a lot more people than some intended assholes who had ticked me off, I'd stop immediately and apologize. I'd be offering to cook you guys breakfast after you got some more sleep. Who knows, maybe David would have told you to go screw off and not care about a hundred people he woke up. At that point, if you grabbed his keys and handed them to a Black Rock Ranger later in the day, told them what happened, and asked them to take the damn air horn that the compressor was attached to, I would be applauding.

I know it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight, but looking forward, look for forgivness and look to see both sides. Sometimes we all create a problem for tomorrow by avoiding one and not communicating today.

Just my two cents, feel free to ignore me, you wouldn't be the first :wink:
VikingNomad

Postby try_me » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:06 am

[quote="VikingNomad"]But look at the facts. You basically grabbed the guys keys, and then ran away without a word. By avoiding conflict initially, you created a higher level of conflict later.

Sure, who wants to be woken up, or have a conflict still being half asleep. But, put yourself in his shoes too. Someone just bolted with his keys without saying a word. Who knows what legitimate reasons he needed that compressor for. Surely waking up a 3 block radius isn't one of them, but the guy was working on a pretty large project and may have needed that.
[/quote]

You make an interesting point about avoiding conflict initially and creating more conflict later, and I'll think about it. In the moment, I chose not to confront him face-to-face because I had spoken to other people who had talked to him, and it hadn't worked, so I concluded that he knew he was disturbing people and chose to do it anyway.

Also, I left out of the story (for brevity) that, after I took the keys, I went to his camp and spoke with him without letting on that I was the one who took them. That's when he told me that he was targetting the sound camp. I pointed out that he was disturbing a lot more people than just the sound camp, and he said, "Well, when you get woken up, know that I'm not intending it for you." In other words, he seemed to think I would take some solace in the knowledge that his INTENT was to wake up ONLY the sound camp, even if the effect was to blast everybody in a three-block radius. Riiiight.
try_me

Postby echohaus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:51 am

I'm leaning towards try_me's side on this issue, and I don't see where he/she was putting themselves on a pedestal, either. Looks like the only person on a pedestal was David, and while he's a pivotal figure at BM, I'd wager that doesn't give him the right of way to flout the intentions of the event or the basic courtesies everyone's expected to extend.
echohaus

Lean on David

Postby ravenluv » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:37 am

i was at the 2004 temple burn. things were moving slow, the crowd was getting antsy. some were loud and obnoxious. others were more creative. at one point, a group of guys behind me started singing 'lean on me'. they sang well and it was a nice, kind of uplifting song.

suddenly a man came charging into the crowd (we were sitting), stood almost directly in front of me and yelled at the guys to shut up (all of which i caught on video). that was david best.

i believe that's what they call 'the artistic temperament'.

but good gracious, the man is tuned in - somehow. i mean, this was a big year of forgiveness for me, especially toward my ex-girlfriend, who happened to be camping near that sound system and described it as a living hell. she never mentioned the air horn though, probably because she's an early riser.

you missed a great chance for a little pun there. talking up how much one contributes to bm....isn't that called 'blowing your own horn'?

:)
ravenluv

Postby Dork » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:47 am

echohaus wrote:I don't see where he/she was putting themselves on a pedestal, either. Looks like the only person on a pedestal was David

That's what I was trying (and failing) to say. David automatically assumed his contribution to the event was more important than a random stranger's, and felt fully justified in his escalation of the dispute with his neighbor.
Dork

Postby mojo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:37 pm

Sounds like he really needs a laxative or to get laid.......
mojo

Postby joel the ornery » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:48 pm

mojo wrote:Sounds like he really needs a laxative or to get laid.......

perhaps, both?
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Megaflow » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:45 pm

Too bad you didn't grab his car keys instead. It might have saved him a DUI ticket. One of the rangers told me that earlier in the week the Sheriff gave him (Best) a DUI ticket.
Megaflow

Postby Isotopia » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:07 pm

There's a difference between DUI and driving with an open container. I'm pretty sure there was no DUI involved.
Isotopia

Postby Megaflow » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:09 pm

That is good to hear. No one wants a DUI. The ranger told me DUI.
Megaflow

hmm

Postby supersonin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:13 am

try me,
It seems to me that taking David's keys was the highlight of your burningman experience. Maybe you should be thanking him instead of just making yourself look like a dick. you think?
supersonin

Postby BAS » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:44 am

Basically, I agree with Apollonaris Zeus and VikingNomad-- you should have gotten the keys back to D.B. anonymously.

Too bad about David Best's ego-- judging by the pictures I have seen, his temples are nice. :?

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Re: hmm

Postby try_me » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:09 am

supersonin wrote:try me,
It seems to me that taking David's keys was the highlight of your burningman experience. Maybe you should be thanking him instead of just making yourself look like a dick. you think?

It was really enjoyable and playful for me, and I am thankful to him for the interaction. I'd certainly like to communicate that to him, although I never got to communicate with him long enough to get around to it. He didn't seem to want to listen to what I had to say, unless it was to apologize. If you have communication with him, and you think it would be appropriate to do so, you're welcome to thank him on my behalf, although given the way things ended up, I think it might just be cruel to bring it back up again.
try_me

Postby supersonin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:28 pm

try me,
So you had fun at someone elses expense and I guess David did too. Maybe that is sort of the same thing but there is a big difference between stealing and making noise. Imagine if instead of blowing his horn, he stole something that prevented the "music" camp from playing their music. and then he bragged about it. I am thinking the "music" camp people would not be happy. I am thinking you owe David an apology for stealing his keys. I would be happy to pass on a message to David if you like.
supersonin

Postby try_me » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:37 pm

supersonin wrote:I am thinking you owe David an apology for stealing his keys. I would be happy to pass on a message to David if you like.

I would prefer that you not pass on that message. I don't think that I desire communication by proxy in this situation. When I said, in my previous comment, that you were welcome to pass my message of thanks on to him, I meant to communicate that I was willing to express thanks to him, but I shouldn't have literally suggested that anyone actually pass that message on. I formally rescind that request. If anybody is going to talk to David Best about this incident on my behalf, I would like it to be me. But the previous two times that I attempted to communicate with him about the incident did not seem to end in a manner that satisfied me or him, and I am not optimistic that additional attempts would come out any differently, and so I am not pursuing them.
try_me

Postby BitterDan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:50 pm

Next time he says "what do you contribute?" you might bring up the fact that HIS art is funded by YOUR ticket price. Frankly, if you are being paid to "contribute" then you aren't really "giving" anything.
BitterDan

Postby pinemom » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:58 pm

he's PAID to do the temple?????
I thought that was his gift to the community....

Shit Im in the wrong bussiness@!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

no

Postby supersonin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:56 pm

Both of you are wrong, I can assure you that not only is David not paid to build the temple, he spends plenty of his own money on the temple. The black rock arts council partially funds many art projects for burningman every year and believe me, nobody walks away having made any money. The temple is a gift. David is a talented artist and has a very hard working crew. I am pretty sure most of the folks on the playa are happy to have the temple. Pinemom, you might want to keep your day job.
supersonin

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:21 pm

try_me wrote:David Best is a renowned artist who has been the designer of the Temple at Burning Man from 2000 through 2004 and in 2007. This is the story of how I met David Best. And took his keys.

Heehee, thank you for the great story, and darn if I'm not quite happy you silenced the air-horn! I myself may have pounded the key unuseable with a tool of my own...a 5 lb. drill hammer...before sweetly returning it. Anyways, great artists are kind of expected to be eccentric, Mr. Best may yet learn to chuckle at his little misfire. There's my 2 cents, fire away at me.
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Re: no

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:17 am

supersonin wrote:...The black rock arts council partially funds many art projects for burningman every year and believe me, nobody walks away having made any money...

You can say that again. Think of it as a subsidy to pull off something that'd only be half of what it was without it. And we won't get into the value of the time of the artist. And in the case of the big projects, the huge number of people involved.

Naw - that grant won't get you rich. Actually it can elaborate your project where you end up spending more of your own money and end up that much further behind. But then again... it's all about the art. And the fun of making it. Seriously.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Ron » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:00 am

Great story! Had it been me I'm not sure I would have returned the key at all, or if I had it would have been either on my last day on playa or after I'd gotten him to agree to stop blowing the damn thing off in the morning. As for the notion that theft is different that being loud in the AM, it is different. Disrupting folk's sleep causes physical harm to their bodies, stealing the keys required to do that harm not only prevents that damage it also does *no* harm to the health of the key holder at all. It's nearly a non-violent solution to a problem that could get violent very quickly. Well done!

I'm a big fan of Best's work on playa, and have even helped with mindless labor on various temples over the years, but have no patience for, "the big people," wandering around BRC thinking they get to do whatever they want because they, "built this," X where X is the city, temple, or whatever. Just about everyone there has gone through some ordeal or another to be there and I personally think the ego it takes to measure one person's contribution against another's is beyond even me. The person handing out bacon on a bright morning may not have Best's name but may very well be making a contribution that is just as valued by the folk receiving it as is the temple. A hot dog on the playa in 2003 is still one of my favorite gifts....

Ron
Ron

Postby erri2000 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:19 am

You are my HERO! I fucking love you. :D :D :D

I thought he just finally reliezed what a huge asshole he was being and stopped. The intentional forced lack of sleep was killing me.
That was not art, that was revenge, and I have to deal with that every day of the regular week.

I wouldn't have seen the triple rainbow if you hadn't stopped that.

Thank you so much!!!! You are a god!

Question for David Best.
Why didn't you just write "Loud Music" on the temple wall and let it go?
erri2000

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 am

taking the keys was a good and just solution to a bad situation.

BUT, remember a lot of folks out there are laboring under the effects of dehydration, sleep deprivation, hang-over, and sometimes beau coup depression.

Ego is the greatest barrier to enlightenment and nothing stokes the flames of ego more than fame.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby LilBuddha » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:57 am

[quote="kikidelosfeliz"]We were near Camp Go Fuck Yourself, and there was a distinctive groundswell in favor of taking that guy's megaphone and crushing it in to small dust-sized particles. Of course, we would have left no trace...[/quote]

I grew to like those guys, although they aggravated the crap out of me at first. It was all a big goof on dealing with obnoxious neighbors. Flip em off and they cheered like you hit a home run. It was performance art and I thought it was pretty clever, even tho the joke was on me. I recognize that I was guilty as charged.

That's relevant to the present discussion. Maybe the best first response to benigh assholery is a quiet comment delivered with a smile.

And if that doesn't work, well then that's why the good Lord invented flamethrowers.
LilBuddha

Postby supersonin » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:49 am

The only reason anybody cares about the noisy air horn is because it was David who was blowing it, it sounds like the people at camp go fuck youself were behaving a lot worse than David. But only 2 people care. hmm....
I was at BM for 11 days and there was a lot of noise, mostly coming from the rave domes. and that noise lasted all night long.

if you don't want David to be famous, than stop talking about him. He is closely scrutinized because he is famous, that is not really fair, not very BM of you to only allow yourselves the freedom of "radical self expression" I bet you are glad that people don't write about you every time you act like a jerk. David loves burningman and maybe it is because he can blow his horn.

Oh, and maybe you haven't noticed but he is kick-ass artist!

If you want to see celebrities behaving badly, pick up a People Magazine.
supersonin

Postby try_me » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:55 am

supersonin wrote:The only reason anybody cares about the noisy air horn is because it was David who was blowing it. ... Oh, and maybe you haven't noticed but he is kick-ass artist!

I heartily disagree. I didn't know that the "air-horn asshole" was David Best until after I had taken the keys to the compressor. Believe me, being repeatedly woken up at far-too-early in the morning by an air horn is annoying to me, no matter who's blowing it.

Yes, he is a kick-ass artist. What does that have to do with this topic? It wasn't the Temple that was waking me (and everybody else in a huge radius) up. If you're a kick-ass artist, does that mean you get to be more of a jerk without repercussions? Yay! Looks like Lindsay Lohan is off the hook! (Just kidding. I don't think she's much of an artist.)
try_me

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man