hugs and kisses from chloe_dancer

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

hugs and kisses from chloe_dancer

Postby chloe_dancer » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:03 pm

hi! just wanted to say hello to everyone! sorry Lucky and i missed decompression......couldn't get a sitter.....we moved to oakland a few weeks ago for his new job, and now i am a stay-at-home-mommy for awhile, so i am actually on the computer less than when i worked if u can believe that!!! i miss talking to you all! anyone know of anything cool to do in oakland? anyone live in or near here and want to get together before i freak out from lack of social connections? i kinda miss san luis obispo....and boy do i crave the playa!!!love and blessings to all!!!
i feel there is an angel in me whom i am constantly shocking
chloe_dancer

Oakland things

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:14 pm

Well--what all are you looking for? Things to do with the children? your husband? yourself?

There was a group of east bay e-playans who were trying to get together a regular meeting at one of the cafes on Piedmont Avenue in Oakland. I didn't pay close attention, but I'll have a look for them. I think they were regional. Or you might find something at the Burning Man office in the City (get used to localspeak for San Francisco)--I'm sure there are lots of connections you can make there. Or try the San Francisco Cacophony sociaty--a lot of early burners came from them http://sf.cacophony.org/

I always thought the Museum of Children's Art at Jack London Square was pretty cool http://www.mocha.org/
You can combine a trip there with looking at the boats. Take a ferry ride to San Francisco--at night time it's almost like the playa a big dark space in a sea of light. (In baseball season you can take the ferry to and from night and weekend games--I hear that's really cool.)
There's also a non profit that gives art lessons to the developmentally disabled--I forget the name, but some of it is fantastic.
Lake Merrit is a periannual--just keep an eye out for wayward geese and homeless.
You can always check craigslist for classes and stuff http://www.craigslist.org/
You've got Chabot Obsevatory for planatarium. And if science stuff gets you definately check out the Exploratorium in San Francisco http://www.exploratorium.edu/
Both Chabot and Lawrence Hall of Science (in Berkeley) will do telescope viewings for eclipses and other astronomical phenonmena.

This has been sort of off the top of my head and with the fact of your children in mind. (Lots of this is stuff I loved as a kid.) If you give me a better idea of what you're looking for that may trigger more ideas.
BlueBirdPoof

Here's the thread I was thinking about

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:16 pm

viewtopic.php?t=378

Maybe you should try and contact some of these people.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:44 am

Love ya chloe!
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:31 am

The zoo is really fun, the Red Tractor resataurant on College is good with kids, bike rides in the area around Lake Chabot in Castro Valley or Lake Merrit in Oakland, www.crucible.org has classes in artistic stuff, if your kid is not yet a toddler The Parkway theater has baby night on Mondays, I like to have a beer in any place in Jack London with a view of the water, Habitot and Fairyland are supposed to be fun but I haven't been.
Tilden park has a petting zoo (bring celery) and a sciency museum kind of thing, and circular ride the pony thing and a merry-go-round and a set of miniature steam trains.
I also like riding the water taxi around the estuary from Jack London - my daughter likes that we're out on a boat, and it's way cheap.
Love and hugs to you Chloe. Welcome to the Bay Area.

Postby chloe_dancer » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:03 pm

thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!
i feel there is an angel in me whom i am constantly shocking
chloe_dancer

Oakland Activities

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:18 pm

abeerinthemorning wrote:Habitot and Fairyland are supposed to be fun but I haven't been.

Fairyland, Fairyland, Fairyland. . .
The latest I heard, from someone in my age cohort who also grew up around here and now has a kid of her own, is that she felt ripped off by the prices. It's been undergoing extensive (and past due) renovations and the prices may reflect that, but the attractions don't yet. My niece and nephew had a good time a few years back--ages perhaps 6 and 8?--but it was looking pretty shabby. On the other hand--the wierd elf thing blowing bubbles, that's got some charm. The shoe you walk through to enter. I remember an artist friend of mine who thought walking down the throat of the whale to see a fish tank inside was the height of unintended surrealism. And my mother LOVES the Alice in Wonderland tunnel thing--although I have a vague sense that someone told me it wasn't there anymore.

They do have puppet shows there--no extra cost and then another train type ride that does cost more. I once took a puppeteering class there--good luck if that's still in the budget. And it can round out a day at Lake Merritt with duck feeding and so on.

Studio One has some pretty cool classes, too. That's Oakland Parks and Recreation.

My surrogate niece and nephews love the Adventure Playground at the Berkeley Marina.
BlueBirdPoof

Re: Oakland Activities

Postby Flux » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:47 pm

BlueBirdPoof wrote:Fairyland, Fairyland, Fairyland. . .

Fairyland!
Flux

Chloe! In Oakland in December

Postby Yonder Burn » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:01 pm

Hi Chloe! Still there? I haven't checked into this part of e-playa in awhile. I am gonna be in Oakland from 6-16 Dec and would like to meet up again. Haven't seen you or any other e-playans since the BM03. Not surprising since I live overseas.

Let me know if we can hook up. I am eager to see Burners while in USA again.

Yonder (green man at Meet and Greet)
Yonder Burn

Return to Experiences at Burning Man