Burning Man + Isabel killed my TV habit

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Burning Man + Isabel killed my TV habit

Postby Organgeboy » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:00 pm

Well, I should say I never really had a habit, but I suppose I've always taken some "comfort" from having the TV on in the background. I'd read a book and feel like I'd like the TV talking in the background. Of course, splitting my attention, I gained not much from either.

But after my first BM, television seemed increasingly silly. Then Isabel hit and we didn't have power for 5 days. That gave me time to make a resolution not to watch TV unless there's really something on I want to watch. (Which isn't so often.)

It's been a few weeks and the difference is substantial. There's something that eats into your autonomy when you turn on the Tv just for background noise. It's hard to place, but something draining does happen, and it takes a divorce to tell the difference...
Organgeboy

Postby Badger » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:07 pm

But after my first BM, television seemed increasingly silly.

Welcome to the club. My epiphany was last year. Had been out on the playa for almost two weeks and when I got back decided after a few days to switch on the telly. Of course within seconds I was hearing the canned laugh track and it hit me like an errant dentist's drill popping a raw nerve. I think part of it had to do with the flash back of having heard so many real, genuine laughs on the playa coupled with the absurdity of an inanimate instrument prompting me for a real emotion.

I cut my viewing by 70% that day.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby jbelson » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:34 pm

Watch more TV, or I'm out of work. If you dont buy from our sponsors, how am I gonna affoard to build an art car?
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby alice » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:39 pm

jbelson wrote:Watch more TV, or I'm out of work. If you dont buy from our sponsors, how am I gonna affoard to build an art car?

what should be be watching for?

or - just tell us what to buy!
bitch all you want - it won't change nothin.
alice

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:20 pm

I have yet to turn that fucker on since I got off the playa. Had it on constantly before.

Didn't make a concious decision about it either. Now I'm just seeing how long I can go without wanting it.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby PJ » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:31 pm

My first year of wintering-over in Antarctica killed my tolerance for television permanently. I cannot sit still for a commercial. Just can't do it.

It's one of the best things that ever happened to me. I get a whole extra lifetime, in comparison to my sports-watching brethren.
PJ

Postby DogBoy » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:43 am

I've been TV hater for almost 10 years now. Watching it now & then is fine (don't wanna miss the Simpsons), but I always turn off the TV if there are more than 2 people in the room. Promotes better conversation.
DogBoy

Location: Twins City, OR "The hardest place to find in Oregon"

Postby TawnyGnosis » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:07 pm

I can't stand the tv being on anymore. It was a combination of moving away from home where tv is always on, and the epiphany of burningman that did it.

I don't want to be dead in my mind for hours upon hours anymore.
Heaven's going to burn your eyes
TawnyGnosis

Postby Kinetic II » Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:47 pm

I thought I was alone on this...obviously not. I watch some local news and the World Poker Tour but that's about it. What's bad...I have a DVR box and it's rarely used now.

It's also killed my PC Gaming. I haven't loaded Sim City 4 Rush Hour yet, and I held off buying Flight Sim 2002 for the same reason. When it gets cold and snowy out they might get more attention, but right now...no.
Kinetic II

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:59 pm

you guys just need tivo.
PetsUntilEaten

Postby Kinetic II » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:17 pm

I have Time Warner's TIVO equivalent. And even though I don't watch much TV, I won't go without a TIVO type box again. TV any other way really does SUCK.
Kinetic II

Postby blyslv » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:01 pm

PJ wrote: I get a whole extra lifetime, in comparison to my sports-watching brethren.

My best friend in Washington DC credits me with breaking him of his Philly Eagles habit so that we could go mountain biking on brilliant Sunday afternoons.

I got rid to TV about 5 years ago and have never looked back. If I'm in a hotel and turn it on I quickly become annoyed. I do have a secret compromise however. I have a VCR and watch WAAAY too many movies. But I control it and it seems to make a big difference.

Sorry to any in the biz, but I really think TV is bad for the soul.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Markov Chaney » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:19 pm

I gave up TV about 10 years ago, except for the occasional movie rental.

Now if I could just manage this damn eplaya addiction!
Markov Chaney

Postby JezebelinHell » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:15 pm

I had pretty much given up T.V. just because I don't like it, but my future wife (Eliza Dushku) has a new show on fox starting on the 30th, so I'm going to be glued to my set for an hour every week now. That's still not bad, although I do watch a lot of movies.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Return to Experiences at Burning Man