Were there any floating candles this year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Were there any floating candles this year?

Postby Dante_13 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:54 pm

In 2002 I remember seeing these floating candle thingies drifting along in the sky at night until they burned up. Very beautiful.

D13
Dante_13

Postby TheJudge » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:03 pm

You sure you didnt just fall asleep watching "The Beach"?
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:22 pm

I'd love to find out how to make them - opps - is that tips & tricks?!
PetsUntilEaten

Postby Kinetic II » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:36 pm

I didn't see floating candles but the colossal size candle out by the man always had people there if it was lit. I didn't get any pictures of it and I'm looking for some...I can't explain to people just how big it was, it's something a picture would work better for. I loved it, especially putting my hand into the hot wax around 4 am when the ambient air temp was so cold...it felt good.
Kinetic II

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:07 pm

Ailchinn wrote:I didn't see floating candles but the colossal size candle out by the man always had people there if it was lit. I didn't get any pictures of it and I'm looking for some...I can't explain to people just how big it was, it's something a picture would work better for. I loved it, especially putting my hand into the hot wax around 4 am when the ambient air temp was so cold...it felt good.

That thing was awesome. I make candles as a hobby and I know what a pain it can be for just one regular-sized one...I was thinking, "Ye Gods, I'd like to see this guy's workshop!" I got photos of that but believe it or not, I haven't gotten 'em developed yet. Still digging through my schtuph, trying to find my cameras...

Anyway, my campmate and I connected out there at random and she said, "Wouldn't it be awesome to come out here and do s'mores?"

Another reason I'm bringing a chimenea stove next year :)

P.S. to the person who was interested in making floating candles...you can get all-you-need-to-get-started kits at Michael's craft stores. I'm making a bunch of them for my own camp for this year, about a dozen a month. They're not as economical as just buying them in bags but then again, you have total artistic control — unlimited scents and dyes, special effects, et alia :D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:20 pm

thank you -

these floating candles float in the air - i only saw one at the burn this year - of course when they fall - they really fall.
PetsUntilEaten

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:53 am

found them!

they are called fire balloons or sky lanterns.

more common are birthday candle powered dry cleaning bag balloons.

ha!
PetsUntilEaten

Return to Experiences at Burning Man