Got Lost In Zara's

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Got Lost In Zara's

Postby Smokey » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:09 pm

Ok, so was anyone else under the influence of uuuuuuuh, psychodelics and get lost in Zaras? That black light rainforest was the best. Funny, because it was easy to get in, took me about 10 minutes and a guide to get out. Anyone else find that camp completly awesome?
If everyone in the ghetto were on mushrooms and E, the ghetto would be a place everyone would WANT to be.
Smokey

Postby Kinetic » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:43 pm

I got lost in there too, and had to ask for help getting out.

Dragontear practically camped there or at Reorient at night. She loved both of them.

A lot of theme camps had cool elements but Xara overall had their act together and made for one of the best all around theme camps I explored this year.
Kinetic

Postby TazGrl » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:00 pm

I didn't exactly get lost, but I lost the people I was with for a while - one of the myriad of problems with being only 5'4". I got a bit turned around when we were leaving, but we finally found the exit. I absolutely loved the place, and I wish I had been in a better place mentally and physically when we happened upon it (it was at the end of a *very* long night of meandering across the playa). I really hope it's there next year, cuz I'm alllllll over it! I loved how when you walked in the door, it was like a whole different reality...plus I just love nature and the rainforest in general, so it was like uber-rainforest for me! Next year I'll go more prepared, with maybe some 4 or 5" platforms to give me better viewing of the crowd! :lol:
Vote Janeway/7-of-9 in 2004!
TazGrl

Xara was AWESOME!

Postby ignatia_amara » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:32 pm

I was so impressed with Xara that I wrote the gang that brought Xara to the playa. A very cool bunch indeed. They were thrilled to get good feedback on Xara. Sadly, this might be there last year doing Xara on the Playa. I REALLY hope they come back again!
ignatia_amara

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:33 pm

on the Playa

I am under the impression that this catch phrase is critical.
Ivy

Holy Mackeral!

Postby Mark Hinkley » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:01 pm

Wow, this is my favorite thread on the eplaya! On behalf of the madcap band of screwballs who present Xara, thank all of you so much for your kind words and compliments. Don't take me too seriously when I wring my hands and worry about next year. We're just all terribly tired and utterly broke and - you know - trying to take at least a mental break. We stayed busy all year last year and it took a little of the fun out of it. For right now, we're trying to get our workaday lives stablized and remember the names of our pets and children. But your appreciation is the paycheck that keeps us coming back, and I have taken all of these nice posts straight to the bank.
Mark Hinkley

Re: Holy Mackeral!

Postby PJ » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:26 pm

Mark Hinkley wrote:...We're just all terribly tired and utterly broke and - you know - trying to take at least a mental break. We stayed busy all year last year and it took a little of the fun out of it...

Would it help reduce the workload if, next year, you changed nothing and just did exactly what you did this year? 'Cause I never even made it to Xara this year so it'd be totally fresh for at least one attendee if not for the builders.
PJ

Postby kabuki » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:16 pm

Xara saved my sanity a few times out there. When I was lost or exhausted or way too inebriated to wander anymore I just copped space in the grass and chilled until everything was copacetic. I think I wound up in there pretty much every night. Big, big love to the people who made it happen, and I hope they are back again next year.
kabuki -- Burning Man 2003 -- 6 Degrees of Neighbors -- 5:55 Faith
kabuki

Re: Holy Mackeral!

Postby shuranuff » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:57 pm

PJ wrote:Would it help reduce the workload if, next year, you changed nothing and just did exactly what you did this year? 'Cause I never even made it to Xara this year so it'd be totally fresh for at least one attendee if not for the builders.

ditto. tho i been hearing about it nonstop. people love you!
shuranuff

Postby KristieEB » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:54 pm

xara was great at night ... dark and glowy with cool places to sit.

xara was great during the day ... with people hiding from the sun in the darkness, giving massages, having quiet conversations.

please, definitely, PLEASE have it again next year ... and don't change a thing if its too much work ... because it was great just the way it was!
KristieEB

Return to Experiences at Burning Man