Busted by the cops at the burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby tbone » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:02 am

ubu wrote:You have the right to refuse search if they have not witnessed "criminal activity," period. So your other friend had the right to refuse search after being stopped for speeding.

If he was on a reservation (and it sounded like he was) we have to remember that for the most part, it's a different country with different laws. The search laws may be the same, but they may be different as well.

Remember all the dire warnings from JRS about speeding on the res? We used that to our advantage a few years ago by placing a large sign with a joke about a friend - just as you turn off the 80 onto the 447, as you're entering a 25 mph school zone. A friend lives on the corner, and helped us put up the sign. Sadly, it was removed a few hours before he drove by. Seems that the Paiute Nation doesn't share our sence of humor.
tbone

Postby blyslv » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:19 am

JP / Chimp wrote:Interesting propsition would a cop bust a man that has just served time in the army for his country? - That would suck BIGTIME huh

Yes.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby blyslv » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:22 am

ubu wrote:I'm glad the uk is a little more rational than the us. I hope we get there some day.

You have the right to refuse search if they have not witnessed "criminal activity," period. So your other friend had the right to refuse search after being stopped for speeding.

To quote Robin Williams "The US was founded by a group so uptight the fucking english kicked them out." Don't hold your breath!

If a cop ask you to search and you inform him with respect that you do not consent, it will not stop the search. It might, however, be a valuable piece of evidence that later gets the search and its results thrown out and that could lead to dismissal of the case.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

dj big "E" says

Postby dj big E » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:30 am

I didn't read every post but i can tell you as a citizen of nevada it is perfectly legal for a cop to entrap you in this state as well as conspiracy to commit a crime is very vague for example you are on playa guy asks you for some mushrooms you say that guy over theyre has some you have commited a crime you have commited conspiracy in the state of nevada .The best idea is to be as low profile as possible and hope for gifts as well as being self contained thats the whole idea isn't it lmao.anyways be careful because theyre out theyre. we had a blm truck roll up on our camp and just sit theyre for a half an hour never got out never said anything still scared the shit out of me lmao. dj big "E"
dj big E

Postby Ran D » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:38 am

PJ wrote:I wonder if it's even worth mentioning that one way to have no concerns about cops at Burning Man is to not do anything illegal?

For our camp) we don't have to do anything at all at BM and our camp) gets harrased by cops. This is not right. Please allow me to explain;

Early in the week (sunday/monday?) a pair of BLM officers (in uniform) on a golf cart enters our theme camp area (Sacred between Creed and Authority) they slowly wind their way from the public/theme camp area and progress into our camping area (same lot). As they wind between the tents they eventually stop at one, get out and lift a shirt off a chair and look under it/on the chair. At this point I came running out yelling at them (camp watch dog, these guys slid in like oily snakes and no one even looked at them or challenged them).

End result is that they drove away. I still filed a complaint with BRC Rangers.

And they wonder why we call them pigs.
Ran D

Postby diggum » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:43 am

hey, guys. dj big E is right.

upsetting story i read in an article about a former DEA agent who's now helping run a nationwide drug reform organization. Once while undercover, he and a partner went to a particularly dangerous area of the city late at night attempting to buy heroin. After a scrape with some thugs, one guy came up to help them out. Wasn't a drug user or dealer, didn't like seeing locals beating up folks from out of the area, though, and stepped in to make sure they were okay. The cops kept pushing him to find some heroin, and he finally gave them the number of a guy in the area who wouldn't try to fuck them over. After busting the dealer, the cop felt he had to include the details on the guy who helped them out. He ended up getting busted for conspiracy and getting the same amount of jail time as the dealer did.

so when someone comes up to you on the playa and asks you where to get drugs, smile and tell them they can ask their doctor for a prescription, buy them at home, or go check the evidence room.
diggum

Postby Piper » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:16 pm

[quote="ubu"]oh chimp my friend such matter and impertinency mixed in your post.

As for your friend in center camp, noone gives a marsupial's ass if he was or was not in Afghanistan. I don't doubt that he was. He would be no protection however, ....snip........If he tried to crack some skulls, all 20 of the BLM Rangers would pile on him, and he'd be tossed in a cooling cell.

broken even, being a vet does not let you break the rules, and if he was still on active duye, he is even under harsher rules

You have the right to refuse search if they have not witnessed "criminal activity," period. So your other friend had the right to refuse search after being stopped for speeding.

ubu, and all, remember on a reservation the rules change and in some cases tribal court can over rule any US court. All of the speed limit signs from Wadsworth to the playa are very visable and in a row to reduce speed from 70 to 25 in a short distance by stepping down 15-25 MPH every 200 ft or so. A comment like" I didn't see a speed limit sign," , would be all the officer needed. Since the signs are VERY easy to see, the officer now has to wonder if the driver is under the influence or just driving carelessly. Be very careful on that road, I use it 3-4 times a week and know of what I speak

peace
Piper
Piper

Postby Piper » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:23 pm

wierd multiple post
Last edited by Piper on Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piper

Postby Piper » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:23 pm

three even
Last edited by Piper on Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piper

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man