Funny things we saw

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Funny things we saw

Postby Desert Wind » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:22 pm

a good laugh came early thrusday morning when somebody in a ranger veichile (i assume it was a ranger) was driving slowly along the esplanade and out of thin air did a sharp left into the giant TURNIP HEAD sign...

he got out...scratched his head and tried to put the sign back together...
:oops:

....we must say that the ranger in question was probably misled because the sign did in fact read 'turn up ahead' and seeing this, he made the natural reaction....
Desert Wind

Spanking machine

Postby boarhead » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:30 pm

Near Thunderdome, I watched a punk kid yelling at the 50 year old man working the spanking machine. the kid was very pissed at something I musta misssed but the whole crowd was on the operators' side in any case. Eventually, the operator just dismissed the kid but he still wouldn't go away - or stop yelling. Eventually, the kid got so worked up, he pissed his pants... much to the applause of the group waiting to get (or watch) the spanking man.

About fell off my bike!
boarhead

Re: Spanking machine

Postby drowned_saved » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:28 pm

boarhead wrote:Eventually, the kid got so worked up, he pissed his pants... much to the applause of the group waiting to get (or watch) the spanking man.

i fucking LOVE it!!! the IRE! the OUTRAGE! the URINE!

why is it that piss-stained pants make any story ten times funnier than it would be otherwise?

a kid yelling his head off does nothing for me...factor in the piss, though, and i'm flopping on the floor, laughing uncontrollably.
drowned_saved

Re: Spanking machine

Postby blyslv » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:08 pm

drowned_saved wrote:[ i'm flopping on the floor, laughing uncontrollably.

Let us know when you piss your pants so we can get a laugh to!

I was hanging out on La Contessa and watched the Turnip sign go down. Felt sorry for the Ranger, who was probably a mite embarrased.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby JezebelinHell » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:53 pm

I saw a hippie almost wet his pants this year. I brought a stunt kite out with me, and during the mad crazy wind storm on Wednesday I decided to take it out flying. Needless to say, it got a little out of control and ended up dive-bombing a hippie at about 65mph. Just barely missed him, but he just about jumped out of his skin. Hooray for hippie-seeking-death-kites.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby antron » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:58 pm

hippie-seeking-death-kites

where do you get them?
did they have raver-seeking-death-kites, too?
antron

Postby JezebelinHell » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:43 am

It was a gift from a friend. I imagine with enough skill and enough wind, any stunt kite can be a raver seeking death kite.
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby Stormy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:40 am

JezebelinHell wrote:It was a gift from a friend. I imagine with enough skill and enough wind, any stunt kite can be a raver seeking death kite.

Smack me with a 2 x 4, but I failed to get the humor in this.
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby TheJudge » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:37 am

JezebelinHell wrote: Hooray for hippie-seeking-death-kites.

I'm turning that into a button for next year.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby TheJudge » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:40 am

Stormy wrote: Smack me with a 2 x 4, but I failed to get the humor in this.

Can I smack ya with the kite? :wink:

I always wanted to take my kite out at night, but the winds usually make it tough to fly when the sun goes down. Wanted to attach some flashing lights, glowsticks, whatever to the thing and freak ravers out all night.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby Hana Hou » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:32 am

I brought my Hawaiian Team kite, but was worried about killing someone - the wind was always too brutal when the thought came to fly it.

But ravers.... Hmmm....
Darwin was right.
Hana Hou

Postby Taggert » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:47 am

Sitting on our front playa porch, a double-decker party bus passed by, but instead of a party, the driver was being a complete idiot. I can only assume that he had just received his learning permit because he was gassing, then breaking, again and again, throwing all of the passengers on top forward. It was scary to watch and even scarier, to be sure, for the folks up top. Everyone was screaming at him, when finally, he was forcibly removed from the seat, thrown into the intersection and spanked mercilessly by a naked guy, all the while being scolded by a crowd of onlookers. The driver got up, very dusty, even more miserable than before, and bitched and moaned the whole way down the street. The naked guy who spanked told him to think about what he had done.

I like happy endings.

And I saw a naked guy in just socks and sneakers walking down the street with a stiffy. He was smiling.
Taggert

Postby Stormy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:03 pm

TheJudge wrote:

How about a "I kill tents" button?
Stormy

Postby Stormy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:05 pm

TheJudge wrote:
Stormy wrote: Smack me with a 2 x 4, but I failed to get the humor in this.

Can I smack ya with the kite? :wink:

Seems like you'd be more likely to hit me with a shade structure, or a tent! *ducks*
Stormy

Postby JezebelinHell » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:59 pm

The monkeys at center camp were also quite amusing. Did anyone else catch that show?
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby supersurly » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:02 am

I was on that double decker when said incident happened, the spanking was well deserved!

I was also on that double decker when DPW drove a forklift into it. That was pretty funny.
supersurly

Postby BurningShadow » Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:50 pm

TheJudge wrote:

:twisted:

Oooooo!!!!!! I want one!
"Your solitude is welcome, your attitude is welcome, just let my shadow come along with complete embrace over my sight"

-ME DAMNIT ME!
BurningShadow

thunder dome fight

Postby dj big E » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:56 pm

lmao one of my highlights was thur or fri day night in the thunderdome the richard simmons lookalike in the pink body suit fighting the punkrock shit it was funny and hardcore loved that shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!And allthough it looked painful just couldn't help but chuckle at the naked guys with the huge chafe marks on theyre legs god dammmmmmm gold bond vaseline pretanning lmao cracked the fuck up when my camp assured me they had shut of the nitros tank so like 5 am i here the tank ssssssssssssssss i go to investigate here a big thump lmao partyer went for broke and was face first in the playa lmao.to much nitros make you go to sleep lmao and i fucking love it . dj big "E"
dj big E

Postby jbelson » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:23 pm

While packing up to leave on Monday morning, 2 camps across from me got into an arguement. Not sure what about, but one guy was still painted all green while the other guy who was doing most of the yelling was wearing a neon green tube dress with his junk hanging out of the bottom. Totally surreal!
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

lmao

Postby dj big E » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:18 pm

lmao :lol:
dj big E

Postby Jeremiah » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:45 am

test
sorry
Jeremiah

Postby Sea Monkey » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:43 am

Friday night I saw a girl TEAR through center camp SCREAMING "GET IT OFF ME! GET IT OFF ME! OH MY GOD GET IT OFF" just shoving people left and right and flipping the fuck out. I feel sorry if there indeed was something on her, but I think she was just out of her gourd at the time. In any case, I hope someone calmed her down and helped her.
Sea Monkey

Postby fishyroy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:56 am

thurs. or wed. cant remember which,anyway with generous amounts of vodka cocktails in the irish bar and mushrooms i found in my pocket myself and my good wife decided to go visit our friends in the white out camp,on our way there i saw what i thought was the soccer ball that had blown away a day or so before from our camp and two goal posts so i tried to score and fell to ground and rolled around in a whole lot of pain
only realising then that i was in a bowling alley,that bowling ball really did look like my soccer ball ,my big toe doesnt trust me any more i think as it now curves down under-neath my other toes.
fishyroy

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:10 am

Ow Ow Ow!!!
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby quiet girl » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:43 pm

Not outright hilarious, but mildly amusing and somewhat alarming.

I'm one of the aerial boom-lift operators for the DPW, and Thursday or Friday during the event I was asked to go and repair the Cafe's shade structure.
Because of the location of the hole, I had to *very carefully* back the lift up to the edge of the 3pm entrance to the Cafe and boom inside the structure. I had Ranger support for this, to keep people out from under the area where I was working, and to help me get in and out of there, but sometimes it was to no avail:
I get up there, turn the machine off and begin working, only to hear this slight "bump" about a minute later. I turn and see this dude standing underneath me, rubbing his head.
"I'm sorry," the guy says,"I thought this was part of a sculpture." He continued on his way and I wouldn't have thought much of it, except people kept doing it over and over and over again.

Burning Man is one of the most unique construction sites I've ever been on.
quiet girl

Postby PJ » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:58 pm

Friday night I saw a girl TEAR through center camp SCREAMING "GET IT OFF ME! GET IT OFF ME! OH MY GOD GET IT OFF" just shoving people left and right and flipping the fuck out.

I'd like to think she was referring to her clothes.
PJ

This is in Reality Camp but...

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:21 pm

This happend last week here in Reality Camp at the K-Falls Decompression Party, so it applies here, and it was fucking hilarious, AND happend inside the potties which is like my trip and stuff.

This chick was in one stall, and I went into the adjacent one. We finished our business, and I came out, but she was rattling the door. She murmured something like "I'm stuck. The door won't open." I told her to flip over the flippy-thing, and she got all pissed off, saying that she's not a retard, there's only a bolt and a screw where the handle should be. She struggled some more with the door, and another girl crawled under the door to help.
She was looking at the left instead of the right hand side of the door.

What a maroon!
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby moxiE » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:36 pm

in 2002, I was at {insert random techno camp here} until about 3 am. When I come back to where I was camping, there's a naked man in pink tube socks sleeping in the driver's seat of my car. So, I woke him up, and he's like "who are you? why'd you wake me up?" sorta buggered. I was like "you're in my car..." and he apologized and ran away.

p.s.: hippie-seeking-death-kites = good, yuppie-seeking-death-kites = better.
moxiE

Birth of a one-eared Bunny

Postby manberne » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:13 am

At thunderdome on the night of the burn...a two eared bunny was facing off with some other creature (monkey? don't remember) and was frothing at the mouth with how much this bunney was going to KICK ASS! The bunny was smaller as bunnies often are (skinny guy in his white fur). The monkey (or whatever) guy was pretty brawny.

Well, the bunny held his own pretty good. The crowd and the "thunderdome peacekeepers" where cracking up. it was hilarious. Then one of the bunnies ears was ripped from its head...and the match was over. Bunny lost...ear given to the victor...and the one-eared bunny was born. Wonder if Matt Groenig was the skinny man?

Thunderdome has some hilarious and bloodthirsty "conversations."
manberne

hIPPI KITE ATACK

Postby bearsnest » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:10 pm

FUNNY HOW YOU SEEM TO HAVE a problem with hippies. Remember, hippies could be your parents and know more about tripping than you could imagine. In 1969 we could have had our version of BM with thousands of people all getting along and everyone on acid. Now we have shorter hair, and have a hard time convening people we were once hippies and wore bell-bottoms and we still like acid, but now, we have a harder time finding it. Hippies are cool people. Peace Bear
Bearsnest.... Be here now!
bearsnest

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man