First and Last Burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

First and Last Burn

Postby vangran » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:32 pm

I just got back from my first Burn. Totally blown away by it all and I miss you all already. Occaisional hits of Playa Dust as I unpack help but I feel homesick as hell. The worst part is that i may never be able to come home again as my family in this world (wife,son,daughter-in-law) are very disapointed that I had a good time and have threatened to put me in chains starting next August and not let me out til after Labor day. So this may be farewell. I love you. Please write.

Prettyboywithrunninghoops
We got what we got. We'll get what we get. Let's burn.
vangran

Out of your mind??

Postby Markus » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:48 am

Bring them next year! Goddammitt!
Markus

Postby LeetleD » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:51 am

Why did they threaten to make you stay????? BECAUSE YOU HAD FUN????
LeetleD

Postby vangran » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Yeah,I guess cause I had fun.
My son who went in 2004 threatened to write me off entirely if I wanted to go back. surprising since he is a "Dead Head"/ Rainbow Fam. type guy.
My wife unfortunately does not share my love for heat, dust, filthy toilets and loud music all nite.
but maybe you're right; Maybe I need to use those chains on them and drag them along.
vangran

Postby skygod » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:27 pm

vangran wrote: heat, dust, filthy toilets and loud music all nite.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:27 pm

We are all baboons, when you get down to it.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

........HHHHmmmmmmmmm

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:14 pm

Solution: Take them with you next year with a really nice RV that you rent locally and after the burn (solves 90% of your problems). Afterwards take them to a nice hotel in Reno to freshen up for a night and then a couple of days in Hawaii in a cheap hotel/motel, to decompress, then back home. Trust me everyone will have a nice big dreamy smile on their face, and you sir, will be a God.

sufficently,

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Re: ........HHHHmmmmmmmmm

Postby LeetleD » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:23 pm

[quote="Rabbi Dali Rick"]Solution: Take them with you next year with a really nice RV that you rent locally and after the burn (solves 90% of your problems). Afterwards take them to a nice hotel in Reno to freshen up for a night and then a couple of days in Hawaii in a cheap hotel/motel, to decompress, then back home. Trust me everyone will have a nice big dreamy smile on their face, and you sir, will be a God.

sufficently,

the rebbi[/quote]

I love Rebbi's idea!!!!!!
Good solution......
LeetleD

Postby vangran » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:40 pm

Rebbi,
I love that idea too. Iwish that time & money were limitless and I could follow it to a "T". perhaps some less extravagant variation. I will definately give it some thought. Maybe I could get them there for a brief "tourist" style excursion and hope that they would see the beauty. Or maybe I can just pout until they let me go again. One way or another Playa dust is part of my soul now and i can't ignore it.

BTW SkyGod i hope you didn't miss the fact that I myself love heat,dust, and loud music (I'm a construction worker so filthy outhouses are no big deal LOL)

Anyhow thank you all for your support and helpful suggestions. It's just what I expect from this breed they call "Burners"
vangran

Postby SED » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:23 pm

You can always hope that you're wife screwed around and they're not actually your kids. Plus, you can readily pick up a new Playamate once you're truly a man.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby vangran » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:58 am

[quote="SED"]You can always hope that you're wife screwed around and they're not actually your kids. Plus, you can readily pick up a new Playamate once you're truly a man.[/quote]

thanks SED,
I wondered how long it would be before someone questioned my manhood or called me a whiner. I'm not quite ready to completely blow off those I love in the default world. Ido have to live here 358 days ayear after all. But thanks for the sentiment it makes me all warm and fuzzy. (In a playa sort of way).
vangran

Postby vangran » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:30 pm

rabbi,
Ijust had athought (ido once in a while). My 30th anniversary is 2 days before BM2007. What if I take my wife to Hawaii first, then fly toReno, Pickup my fresh rental rv and go to the burn 'til thurs (take her away before it gets too crazy) then go toReno to decomp for acouple days. Then will i get smiles?? she might even beg me to take her back for the burn.,but that would be asking too much.
If it works i have you to thank RDD. You're a genious...genius?...genuous?..gnish? anyway Thanks.\

BTW; SED would that scheme help reinstate my manhood or is the part about the anniversary too drippy for you?
vangran

Postby SED » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:51 pm

I don't question your manhood. I predict it.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

unleash

Postby Taz » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:09 am

Sounds like you have a relationship based on control rather than respect for the individual.
Taz

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Safer Sex

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:14 pm

Just show them the burn they would be interested in.
There are so many different choices out there.
I didn't go near anything loud last year.
There is plenty to do.

Was it hot this year?
I didn't think so.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby mojo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:58 pm

The decomp in Reno is an important point - be sure you have a place with a bathtub, or better still, an in-room jacuzzi.

I am also in Santa Barbara, my husband and I have been attending every year for the past 10 years or so - it has become a fun part of who we are as a couple. We're not spring chickens. If I can help by answering any questions for her, PM me and I'll be glad to do what I can.

I have women friends who will not go because of the "prissy" problems, (dust, heat, noise). It's just part of who they are. I think there are a lot MORE women who have some fears about what will happen there.

I like Burning Man because it is NOT a Rainbow Gathering, but tends to be much more edgy.
mojo

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:02 pm

mojo wrote: I like Burning Man because it is NOT a Rainbow Gathering, but tends to be much more edgy.

One of our more enlightened friends (at least once upon a time) won't go to BM because she's already "done the Rainbow Gathering thing." She was horrified to learn at the last Gathering she attended that the woods they so lovingly cherished--by creating their own little toilet-paper-marked shitholes in the soil--turned out to be sacred tribal land.

Where are the (hippie-hating) poltergeists when you need them?
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Like it

Postby HEADBANDMAN » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:27 am

I like your bunny
HEADBANDMAN

Postby gyre » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:08 am

It's just like a rainbow gathering....
with military capability.
gyre

Re: First and Last Burn

Postby flightless » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:24 pm

vangran wrote:The worst part is that i may never be able to come home again as my family in this world (wife,son,daughter-in-law) are very disapointed that I had a good time...

Are you not allowed to have fun outside the family unit? Would a family vacation (or separate vacations for them) before August make them feel less, um, controlling?
flightless

Postby axolotl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 am

axolotl

Postby hsdavis » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:10 am

I have been in the same position where my family is not happy about me going every year. I buy my ticket early and start planning and just get on the plane and go for the week. I would imagine I would have a problem now if I skipped a year. It's now expected that I will be gone for the week, but always return home after Labor Day, refreshed for another year.
My best advice is just start making this an annual event and if the family wants to go also, then all the better. In my case, if my wife ever said that she wanted to attend, I would be done with Burning Man forever. Knowing her like I do, it will never happen since there is no running water or a swimming pool.
Buy your ticket and we'll see you on the playa!!!
hsdavis

Re: ........HHHHmmmmmmmmm

Postby madmatt » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:43 am

Rabbi Dali Rick wrote:Solution: Take them with you next year with a really nice RV that you rent locally and after the burn (solves 90% of your problems). Afterwards take them to a nice hotel in Reno to freshen up for a night and then a couple of days in Hawaii in a cheap hotel/motel, to decompress, then back home. Trust me everyone will have a nice big dreamy smile on their face, and you sir, will be a God.

sufficently,

the rebbi

Great idea! I concur!
madmatt

Re: unleash

Postby blyslv » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:06 pm

Taz wrote:Sounds like you have a relationship based on control rather than respect for the individual.

Sounds like you're a judgemental git.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby vangran » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:45 am

OMG!! I just realized that it's been 5 yrs since I visited this topic. Bad burner!
Good news! I am in the main sale lottery and will ( fingers crossed ) finally be able to come home for a week. I am so excited.
The reality hit me when I got an email from a friend from 2006 telling me that he has registers for a ticket too.
It's going to be so good to see him again and all the family from Eplaya. Thank you for the love.
@Axolatl-if you're still out there where did you find that picture of me? I used to have a photo somewhere that looked EXACTLY like that!
vangran

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:56 am

alrighty then!
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:24 am

Very good to know that this is coming right in the end. 8)

What happened? Can you say?

Full disclosure: I am of the judgmental git persuasion, I guess; I find even the threat of chains to be quite inflammatory.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby vangran » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Wow just when I thought I was wrong and everything was going to be alright look what happens.
No ticket for me from the lottery. I'll keep trying. I don't have much hope for STEP and I'm guessing that the open sale will see about 20,000 burners, as many virgins and nearly as many scalpers looking at 10,000 tickets. Oh well maybe I'll get lucky and see you all once again. I really hope so. Love to Burners and virgins alike, scalpers not so much.
vangran

Postby ranger magnum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Just saw this thread...

Im in santa barbara too! We have a pretty big burner community here. Have you checked out Fishbon?
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby vangran » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Ha! My fishbon membership was just confirmed on sat.
Looking forward to meeting some cool people and working on some fun projects.
vangran

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man