"Burning Man: Satan's Birthday Party"

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby TestesInSac » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:26 pm

In other news, I knew I was cheap, but L6818?

http://www.wewantyoursoul.com/quote.php
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby precipitate » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:35 pm

> Your soul is worth £4063. For your peace of mind, 95% of people have a
> purer soul than you.

Yow. See, toldja I was evil.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

As a good Christian, the author has a wierd hobby

Postby bruno » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:43 pm

In theocracies of yore, people with too much knowledge of the black arts were considered suspect and many were given the same treatment as those who were fingered as practitioners: surrounded by bundles of sticks (aka faggots) and immolated.

Glad we live in more tolerant (for now) times!
bruno

Postby PJ » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:53 pm

"Your soul is worth £9614. For your peace of mind, 79% of people have a purer soul than you."

Could be worse. Could have been valued in Canadian dollars, which would be really depressing.
PJ

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:14 am

Clandyone said

PLEASE don't tell me you, too, think that the city layout is modeled after a Goddess figurine. Please, please, please

it does kinda look like that goddess figurine thing though doesn't it? A teeny bit? No?

To be honest I am surrounded often by goons who really do claim to see symbols in piles of toenails and stuff ( I have the dubious pleasure of being in a band with them). The most infuriating, nonsense reading 'we are thelemites' types on the one hand and quite inspiring people with an absolute 'faith' and belief in Magick or whatever on the other. They are forever to be found hanging about near sacred stones on mushrooms.
I know Wicca and pagan mean very different things, I have heard enough acidheads bang on about Wilson, Crowley et al in my time, I meant to write wicca / pagan.

I guess what I mean is that your defintion of pagan is a post christian defintion 'not of the book' but in early pre christian days systems of beliefs in the UK defined as 'pagan', the druids, the earth mother, slough feg the horned god, the green man and so on constitied our indiginous faith, therefore when we think of the word pagan over here we tend to think exclusively of these things.

Also, when I met Larry Harvey he briefly went off on a tangent about the use of the pyramid structure in Beyond Belief - Now much as I don't believe Larry to adhere to any doctrine religious or otherwise I do think something informs the symbols he chooses to use - he did talk about the mathematical qualities of pyramids and how that might relate to the mystic experience. Now, the use of a wickerman (essentially what the druids burnt the christians in) surely has to be something other than mere coincidence, there must be a specific reason for the use of that symbol.

In about 1991 '92 a huge wickerman was erected at the glastonbury festival (over a hundred thousand people there and a lot of open drug use, that was then when you could easily get in free).

Now, glastonbury is a hugely significant ancient site where it was believed in pre christian days a door lay to the otherworld. When this thing went up in flames (a guy rode a motorbike over a metal tight rope to light the head) hundreds of new age travellers and cyberpunks were running and driving around in mad max style art cars screaming "burn the christians". I was on acid, believe me they meant it. It was fucking incredible.

It is an ancient symbol with definite connotations The Man, it has that quality I guess despite whether or not the intention is for it to be seen that way at Burning Man.

Postby TestesInSac » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:42 am

I think the monotheistic religions, not just the Christians, need, as a product of their own insecurities, to destroy or coopt all that was before in the way of spiritual thinking. Small wonder that those selfsame religions, particulary the Christians, now experience the backlash that they do.

To me, the most striking element of pre-X-tian spiritualities is that their core is the recognition that all life and progression is cyclic in nature. Ups and downs, highs and lows, life and death are the yardsticks they measured by.

Turns out, I was doing the same for a long time and didn't make the connection. Vastly more important to me than Christmas (which I've always abhorred for its unreasonable expectations) is the winter solstice. It's the day I build a fire, drink some wine and take hope in the lengthening days to come, the warming of spring, and the passage, for the time being, of the God-awful holidays (including my birthday, New Years Eve) the retailers seem dependent upon.
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby stu » Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:57 am

Vastly more important to me than Christmas (which I've always abhorred for its unreasonable expectations) is the winter solstice.

Yikes, Tom. I am starting to find out we are way too similar. A little fire and some wine is much better than hacking your way through the malls, trying to find some crap that says you care.
<i>What's</i> my fucking gift?
stu

Postby Last Real Burner » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:40 pm

PJ wrote:
Niacin wrote:...the Virgin of Guadalupe in my oatmeal...

If you ate her, is she still a virgin?

Depends... Did you genuflect first? Did you say at least five hail mary's afterwards? Well, if your answer to these and random other questions is yes, then the obvious conclusion would be yes, she would still "technically" qualify as a virgin. Intensive studies are under way by my mad scientist research group/line dancing coallition. Volunteers are currently being sought (there is pay), send naked jpgs to be considered.

"You're gonna poke your eye out with that thing!"

responsibly
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:34 am

Last Real Burner wrote:I Say We Have A Good Ol' Satanic Barbque...

evily,
mr smith

"That that doesn't kill will surly send you to Hell (drink plenty of water)"

looks like enough gas to fly from here to italy and back.
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:54 pm

Well, what I get is this sense of Burning Man being a mish-mash of various stuffs (true) and then in classic conspiracy theory manner, he tries to come up with an underlying theme. Of course, the Catholic Church did the same thing 1500 years ago while it was incorporating pre-christian european culture. But I bet this guy has an anti-papist streak too.
so, 15 years after the death of christ (if he existed) where was christianity?
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:55 pm

REposted so that I can see this under the moon.

Well, what I get is this sense of Burning Man being a mish-mash of various stuffs (true) and then in classic conspiracy theory manner, he tries to come up with an underlying theme. Of course, the Catholic Church did the same thing 1500 years ago while it was incorporating pre-christian european culture. But I bet this guy has an anti-papist streak too.
so, 15 years after the death of christ (if he existed) where was christianity?
theCryptofishist

John 3;16

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:18 pm

John 3:16, there is still hope.

Postby Badger » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:51 pm

John 3:16, there is still hope.

Unless John 3:16 has something to say about getting my paws on a $145 ticket I'm not interested.

Thanks though.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Re: John 3;16

Postby Simply Joel » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:48 am

Reverend Jones wrote:John 3:16, there is still hope.

Drink your kool-aid, Jim.
Simply Joel

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:02 am

Simply Joel wrote:

Just remember, those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.
theCryptofishist

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:17 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Simply Joel wrote:

Just remember, those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

Tell that to the crusading false prophet Bush and his followers.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Rob the Wop » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:21 am

DVD Burner wrote:Tell that to the crusading false prophet Bush and his followers.

Nope. I distinctly remember Bush saying that we were going to war and that there will be casualties. That came true, didn't it?
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:28 am

Dang, all I meant was that sooner or later we'd get bored w/"Rev. Jones" and report him to Technopatria again. And his new id would go the way of the last. (E-playa Sock Patrol--the few, the proud, the takers of no nonscense.) No need to get our country's most prominent historian--or at least person with a history BA involved.
theCryptofishist

Postby Sand_man » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:06 pm

I think that Saton is just way to fuckin' trendy these days

Funny when I went to my first Burn last year I had this amazing feeling that the humen race was actully going somewhere. I thought " Wow, Jesus would really dig this" ,of coarse we all know the majority of Christiandom all want us dead to bring about his second coming. I'm convinced that if Jesus was alive today, the Christians would be the ones to nail him up.
Sand_man

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:47 pm

isn't there a sick irony to this guy studying and knowing satanic rituals.

Gotta pick up quake!

that fuckwad even snuck in posing as a local, can't charges be brought against him for theft?

In the end burning man is what you make of it, any experience you want is there. The only common factor to everyone's experience is the insanely inhospitable environment.

makes me proud to be a born again atheist.javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')
Twisted Evil

"I think that Saton is just way to fuckin' trendy these days " - THAT is GOD DAMN funny
DeadlyKungFu

Postby cowboyangel » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:34 pm

I'm convinced that if Jesus was alive today, the Christians would be the ones to nail him up.

how true
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby Sand_man » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:57 pm

"how true","I think that Saton is just way to fuckin' trendy these days " - THAT is GOD DAMN funny

Thanks guys, I live in a town of extreme right, fundamentelists(I hate to put anyone in a box, but so many of them are!) It's nice to communacate in a democratic enviernment, since America has become substantially less than that of late.

Hopefully when we're dead, we'll be laughing about the whole thing.
Sand_man

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:39 am

Anonymous wrote: Now, the use of a wickerman (essentially what the druids burnt the christians in) surely has to be something other than mere coincidence, there must be a specific reason for the use of that symbol.

Just because something happens does not mean that there's some cosmic reason that it was meant to be; that's the kind of thinking that causes religion, a leading cause of suffering and death, in the first place.

Niacin wrote:
clandyone wrote:Although.. you can see an inverted pentagram in a
bowl of oatmeal if you have the inclination, I suppose.

I swear again, and a thousand times, it was the Virgin of Guadalupe in my oatmeal, not a pentagram.

Max

The other day, I was having some alphabet soup when Satan's name came up...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Happy Birthday Baby.

Postby XS » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:47 pm

Once again, we have a classic example of a Christian Moralist outraged that people are expressing themselves freely whereas he is repressing himself obligingly.

Again, the Christian measure of morality is to be applied to everyone. Tow the Jesus line or you're going straight to hell. Hey, now. I'm a Christian. Jesus is my brand of God-product. I just don't wish to beat anyone up about it.

His rantings are based in the old school - Old Testament Hell-fire and brimstone shit. Jesus changed all that. The new testament - new deal is ... love one another. Don't hate. Don't judge. Be cool. Be real.

What's really outrageous is that, he implies that a tornado in Wisconsin, a stock market down-day have Burningman to blame because they coincided on Sept. 3rd. Huh?! And that just 10 days after Burningman '01, Sept. 11 occurred as a result of Burningman. Huh?!!!

Dude, you're vision of hell is actually your vision of your nasty, polypy, colon because you've got your head so far up your ass you'll never see the truth that daylight provides.

Anyone observing something long enough, and taking notes based on their personal paradigm, can make a case for whatever they're selling. To Quote the book of Jack "Sell Crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here."

Amen.
Too much is never enough.
XS

Postby Zephryus » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:54 pm

Nice rant, but check the dates. This horse was shot, necrotized, and flogged enthusiastically a long time ago.
Zephryus

Better late than never expressed.

Postby XS » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:37 pm

Ja, Wakarimasu. Daijobu desuyo.
Too much is never enough.
XS

Postby KellY » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:39 pm

Since this has been ressurected ("IT HAS RISEN!), I'd like to add a couple of points I find amusing.

First, the Romans pretty much wiped out the Druids long before there were any Christians around to sacrifice. I think it's terribly funny how Christians like to spread their persecution complex around, when the vast majority of Christians burned, tortured et cetera throughout history were first victims of the Romans, then other Christians with whom they who had, shall we say, philosophical differences on the interpretation of doctrine.

Also I've read some terribly inventive literature from Jack T. Chick and others that explained that Halloween was a Druidic ritual that involved the evil priests going door to door demanding a sacrifice. If they got it, they would mark the door and the family would be safe for the night. If they didn't, they would leave behind a lit Jack O' Lantern, which attracted demons to the house to kill the firstborn child. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Maybe....Passover? I guess if you only read one book in your life the ideas start getting recycled...
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby KellY » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:40 pm

By the Way, everybody, Happy Midsummer's Eve! Look out for mischevious spirits!
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby zzberlin » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:10 pm

zzberlin

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:20 pm

:lol: You guys are funny.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man