"Burning Man: Satan's Birthday Party"

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby Alexiis » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:10 am

Yeah!...what Matt said.[/i]
Alexiis

Postby madmatt » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:12 am

Alexiis - Hi sugah, good seeing you last night.
madmatt

Postby Alexiis » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:21 am

Rite back at cha!
A very plesent suprise indeed!
I forgot to ask...ya'll going to SF?
Alexiis

Postby clandyone » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:25 am

madmatt wrote:Niacin -
I have to fall in in Niacin's support here. The more seriously you take people like that, the more power and legitimacy you grant them.

Um, er, uh, if I remember correctly Niacin's only statement on this thread was that he "respected the faith" of the person who wrote the original article.

This pertains to your argument how?

Or are you and/or Niacin making a funny? Do elucidate.
clandyone

Postby Borris » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:46 pm

PJ wrote:If on the midnight of the solstice you draw a big circle in the dirt, tie a virgin to an altar in the middle of it, and have a billy goat mount the virgin while drummers around the circle chant Satan's praise, that ought to do it. At least, as far as your neighbors are concerned, which after all is what really matters.

Solstice night is almost over here.
and I've done all that PJ has told me to do.
somewhy my neghbours wern't concerned, they joined me (maybee i shouldn't live next door to people with inverted stars of david on their doors)
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby PJ » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:57 pm

Borris wrote:maybee i shouldn't live next door to people with inverted
stars of david on their doors)

Isn't an inverted Star of David still a Star of David?

Borris wrote:and I've done all that PJ has told me to do.

I appreciate the effort. I'd appreciate it more however if an attractive young woman complied with my recommendations.
PJ

Postby Borris » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:09 pm

PJ wrote:

Emmmmmmmmmmmm

NO, it's Inverted, anyone can see that it's upside down!!!
Borris

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:43 pm

Borris wrote:
PJ wrote:

Emmmmmmmmmmmm

NO, it's Inverted, anyone can see that it's upside down!!!

PJ, I think you've been had!
Kinetic

Postby madmatt » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:44 am

Clandyone wrote: "This pertains to your argument how?"

Niacin was saying he thought the article, despite being full of hatred and intolerance, was interesting in its content. Niacin was pounced on for that, but I applaud his openmindedness in being able to see something in it despite feeling negatively about it and who made it.

Sooo...my point was, yeah, it was interesting. And I don't try to downplay people who are a serious threat, like Joseph Biden who are trying to enact legislation (the RAVE act) that could actually affect BM and just about every other fun event out there.
madmatt

Postby madmatt » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:44 am

Borris -
Where the hell did you find a virgin?!
madmatt

Postby madmatt » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:46 am

Clandyone -
PS - I respect the tolerance of someone like Niacin who can respect the (twisted fucked up) faith of the person who wrote that negative article.
madmatt

Hi all.... 1st post.

Postby Tricky » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:13 pm

After picking up a flyer which laid out the entry costs, it was clear to me that the only way I could afford to attend was with a residence pass which costed $25, versus the standard fee of $250 (ouch). Since I didn't have $250 or proof of local residency, which was required for the local pass, I prayed to the Lord that if it was his will for me to go, I would be able to obtain a local pass with only proof that my brother was a resident, but not myself.

So... this "good christian" is willing to defraud an organization and justify it as the will of god? I wonder what his responce would be if someone wrote him pointing out that this sort of deception should be repented from. Perhaps by paying the TRUE cost of ticket.

In the mean-time it's funny that he equates JUDGMENT upon this fine nation (implying its inherant Christianity dispite the Church/state division...not to mention it's rather darker past) with economic downturns...
Tricky

Postby Borris » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:05 pm

madmatt wrote:Borris -
Where the hell did you find a virgin?!

Ah, this is the Advantage of not living in America...

had to raid the Hassidic negiborhood, and she was 8 years old, but she was a bonafide virgin.
Borris

Postby PJ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:14 pm

Borris wrote:had to raid the Hassidic negiborhood, and she was 8 years old, but she was a bonafide virgin.

That's 56 in dog years.
PJ

Postby clandyone » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:21 pm

Here's the way I see it.

These people are dangerous. Be they Biden (how does he manage to talk with the Shrub's nuts in his mouth all the time, anyway?) or some random loony spouting off about Burning Man, they represent a continuum of illogic and if they had their way they would ruin this country.

There is an increasingly popular belief, even among progressives, that opinions are as good as facts and that if you're just saying what you feel you can't possibly be all wrong. Actually, yes you can. The individual who wrote the article in the OP is all wrong. Questions of faith aside, his facts are completely bogus, and his perspective is quite obviously informed by irrational fear instead of reality. I don't believe in letting people like this slide. Progressives often pull punches when dealing with fundamentalists, out of fear of being perceived as intolerant. But when the fundies in question are spreading lies coast-to-coast, it is no longer workable to be nice.

I once read a thoughtful critique of Burning Man from the perspective of another fundie who had attended the event. I can't find it now, but the guy's point was that Burning Man is essentially harmless, although a lot of the stuff that goes on there would be very offensive to most conservative Christians. He brought curiosity and sound theology to BRC, and came back with the impression that all of us are searching for meaning, that Burning Man represents some sort of meaning to all of us and makes us happy in the short term, but that what we REALLY need is Jeebus and without him we won't truly be happy. I disagree with him on the Jeebus thing, but at least he was being realistic, and I respected him for it.

But wrong is wrong is wrong, and homie who wrote "Satan's Birthday Party" is wrong. He is also wrong in a frighteningly common fashion. Forgive me if I don't think that's okay, and forgive me if I don't consider faith to be an intrinsically good thing either.
clandyone

Postby Borris » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:12 pm

clandyone wrote:what we REALLY need is Jeebus and without him we won't truly be happy.

I don't need Jeebus, he was nobody, just a bastard son of a carpenter. I have Jehova and am still waiting for the Mesiah to come for the firtst time.
Borris

Postby PJ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:47 pm

Borris wrote:Jeebus, he was nobody, just a bastard son of a carpenter.

And his Mom was a slut--unless you buy that "Joseph, honey? You know how we've never done it 'cause I would let you? Well, I'm knocked-up but I'm still a virgin" line.
PJ

Here, Drink This...

Postby Last Real Burner » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:50 pm

:roll: Yeah! Happens to me all the time.

uncomfortabaly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby Skyhawk » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:39 am

Satan's Birthday..

remember kids, Satan loves you

Skyhawk

Postby TestesInSac » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:51 am

I showed the site in the OP to my adventist burner campmate friends. They laughed, but were also appalled to think that the site creators might be serious.
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby Desert Wind » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:57 pm

the thing is..is that while the meaning of his words disses the event..
...you can read by the tone of his words that he had a great time..and is making up excuses why he hated it....cause he feels guilty for having fun....
Desert Wind

Postby ramen » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:31 pm

Desert Wind wrote:...you can read by the tone of his words that he had a great time..and is making up excuses why he hated it....cause he feels guilty for having fun....

Works for me. Lordy I have sinned, and sinned, and sinned some more. Help me repent so I can fall off the wagon again.
ramen

Postby JezebelinHell » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:30 am

So, who wants to build a 'Satan's Birthday Party' themecamp in this guys honor? It has endless possibilities...
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby Chimp » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:16 am

One thing he is right about - all the wiccan pagan symbols are there. No argument.

But Clandyone is on the money - although to be honest Jesus, who now it is generally accepted did exist whether or not you believe his parentage , was an awesomely exceptional dude - who I doubt would not jump in on this forum to slag anyone else off (except maybe satan)

'Get thee behind me' Borris, er, not in that way though...oops
Chimp

Postby PJ » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:49 am

Chimp wrote:Jesus...was an awesomely exceptional dude...

His big mistake was throwing those money-changers out of the temple. What was he thinking? Did he or did he not want to be the founder of a big-time religion? God, like, totally crucified him for that blunder, I'll bet.
PJ

Postby clandyone » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:55 am

Chimp wrote:One thing he is right about - all the wiccan pagan symbols are there. No argument.

Where?

If you mean "on the bodies and artwork of the pagans who attend," well, yes.

Besides, Wicca and paganism are not interchangeable terms. Wicca was basically invented by Gerald Gardner and co. in the twenties. He claimed he was reviving a goddess-worship tradition from pre-Christian days, but there is no evidence whatsoever that this is true.

"Pagan" is a generic term meaning "one whose religion is not of the Book."

There's overlap, of course, but there are lots and lots of pagan symbols not adopted by Wicca.

PLEASE don't tell me you, too, think that the city layout is modeled after a Goddess figurine. Please, please, please.

Although.. you can see an inverted pentagram in a bowl of oatmeal if you have the inclination, I suppose.
clandyone

Postby Niacin » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:57 am

clandyone wrote:Although.. you can see an inverted pentagram in a
bowl of oatmeal if you have the inclination, I suppose.

I swear again, and a thousand times, it was the Virgin of Guadalupe in my oatmeal, not a pentagram.

Max
lebenskunstler - noun, German - someone for whom life is an art form.
Niacin

Camp Name: Zondermaan

Postby PJ » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:16 pm

Niacin wrote:...the Virgin of Guadalupe in my oatmeal...

If you ate her, is she still a virgin?
PJ

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:19 pm

I'd say if there wasn't penetration, it's all good.

did i say that?
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby PJ » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:49 pm

Lydia Love wrote:

I'd say if there wasn't penetration, it's all good.

Actually, since the Lewinsky dust-up, there's Federal precedent supporting your stance.
PJ

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man