Picture taken? Or not

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Picture taken? Or not

Postby RebA! » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:22 pm

So.. my 4th year at burning man has come and gone. And in those 4 years. Not once Has anyone "asked" to take my picture. Ya know one of those walking down a street and someone goes.. "hey can i take your picture cause i like what your wearing kind of picture". I want to know how you all do it. Those poeple who get asked all the time. Or photographers. How do you pick and choose your vict..er.. subjects?

I wore fabulous clothes. Almost all my stuff was home made costumage. I was like.. OH this is so my year to get my picture taken by some photographer.

So.. what is it? Do I have to stand around flapping my arms and scream at the top of my lungs.. "fuckin take a picture of me!?" or is it simpier than that?
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:29 pm

I can so relate

I was fuckin adorable this year

and my *husband* didn't think to take a picture.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

I'm with you guys on this...

Postby dragonflyannie » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:41 pm

I feel the EXACT same way... not just of photographers, but my boyfriend... Four years and I've looked adorable too (or so I seem to think) ;) Not once has he taken my picture unless I ask him to. If I never asked him to, no one would ever believe I actually attend! I would never be documented otherwise. Sheesh!
dragonflyannie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby olivia » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:19 pm

maybe it's one of those things like if you're married then suddenly everyone wants to fuck you, but if you're single and looking then no one is around....

i got stopped a lot this year, probably because i was wearing skimpy flamboyant clothes. it started to get a little annoying even.
olivia

Postby dragonflyannie » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:24 pm

damn. sounds like there is no happy medium!
dragonflyannie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby nymphgonebad » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:48 pm

olivia wrote:maybe it's one of those things like if you're married then suddenly everyone wants to fuck you, but if you're single and looking then no one is around....

i got stopped a lot this year, probably because i was wearing skimpy flamboyant clothes. it started to get a little annoying even.

hey reba, try walking around naked.
nymphgonebad

Postby RebA! » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:01 am

princess strych-9 wrote:hey reba, try walking around naked.

HA! thats funny.. Nope.. sorry. wont happen. I'll still with being unphotographed in all "boring" unflamboyant clothes.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby nymphgonebad » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:07 am

well, it's not your only option. dressing like xena, warrior princess, would probably work as well.
nymphgonebad

Asked, but not taken

Postby Papa Bear » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:32 am

I actually had someone ask to take my picture. Can't say it was really me, though, as I was giving a massage to a very attractive (and completely naked) young lady at the time.

Picture of me, no problem. Picture of me and unsuspecting receiver in a vulnerable state, no way. And no, I wasn't going to let him intrude on her nice, safe, semi-slumbery relaxed state to ask her about a picture. Though if he'd waited around for us to finish, we might have given him an encore to get his shot.

Nice guy for asking, though.

Or maybe just smart enough to realize that Papa Bear is part grizzly.
Papa Bear

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash, HeeBeeGeeBee Healers

Re: Asked, but not taken

Postby nymphgonebad » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:47 am

Papa Bear wrote:I actually had someone ask to take my picture. Can't say it was really me, though, as I was giving a massage to a very attractive (and completely naked) young lady at the time.

Picture of me, no problem. Picture of me and unsuspecting receiver in a vulnerable state, no way. And no, I wasn't going to let him intrude on her nice, safe, semi-slumbery relaxed state to ask her about a picture. Though if he'd waited around for us to finish, we might have given him an encore to get his shot.

Nice guy for asking, though.

Or maybe just smart enough to realize that Papa Bear is part grizzly.

i'm a bodywerker myself - wouda done just the same thing
nymphgonebad

Re: Picture taken? Or not

Postby PJ » Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:32 am

RebA! wrote:Do I have to stand around flapping my arms and scream at the top of my lungs.. "fuckin take a picture of me!?" or is it simpier than that?

You could try a subtle T-shirt, maybe something like "Yes, I will show you my tits, thanks for asking."
PJ

Postby Kinetic » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:34 am

There was a guy close to Camp Bluedream that was making shirts like that....I'm sure he would make one up for you next year if you find the need for it.
Kinetic

Postby Ivy » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:56 am

Honestly RebA!, I don't think it alwats has to do with the costume, at leat, not the only thing.

I had a guy ask if he could take a picture of my friend and I; turns out he was really taking a picture of the installation we were sitting at, not us, he just wanted to make sure were okay with being the the picture.
I thin part of it is about what you're wearing, part of it is about what you're doing and how you're acting. You may be in a superhero costume, but are you playing the role of the superhero and jumping around "resuing" people? If you;re wearing kitty cat ears with whiskers painted on your face are you nuzzling up to people trying to get you ears scratched? I think it's not necessarily the costume in and of itself, it's more the character, which encompasses the costume.

Just my $0.0002.
Ivy

Postby Flux » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:07 am

The only time anyone's ever taken my picture is when I've been working at Playa Info, usually just after I'd reunited the photographer with her or his $500 camera that "no one would ever turn in, but I thought I'd just ask..."

If you really wanna get your picture taken, be six years old! My daughter Claire, fully (and not all that interestingly) dressed and postively covered in dust -- but very nicely face-painted -- got so many requests for photos than we lost count.
Flux

Postby katekt » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:58 pm

oddly this year people asked to take my picture. mostly on the day i was totally content and at peace with myself. i'd even been wearing the same outfit for 2 days. i think my happieness showed --kt
katekt

Postby precipitate » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:04 pm

> You could try a subtle T-shirt, maybe something like "Yes, I will show
> you my tits, thanks for asking."

That should work.

I had one person attempt to take a picture of me (without asking) while
wearing the thanks for not hugging shirt. I might have to add, "And put
your fucking camera away."

Turns out the guy was documenting what went on in his camp (where I
was lounging about). I still think he should have asked, since he was
photographing my bare nipples and my friend's naked torso, but it wasn't
like he just walked up off the street. His reaction was so contrite I felt
kinda bad afterwards. Someone told me he spent the rest of the week
asking everyone he didn't know well if he could take their picture.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby redhot » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:29 am

Nobody asked to take my picture this year, maybe I was on my bicycle too much. One year two people stopped me to take my picture, I ws wearing a thong and some latex body paint at the time. I need more famboyant non-flammable clothing for next year.

I brought a disposable camera with me, only two pictures on the roll were of people, one of a friend and one of me. I ask if someone is more than incidental to a picture.
redhot

dj big "e" says try duststorms

Postby dj big E » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:32 pm

lmao i got my pic taken a couple times while spinning records this year and a couple times on the esplinade but thats just because i am weird looking lmao.When i wen't for a cruise during sundays beutiful duststorm i got my picture taken atleast 15 times in a half an hour or so.hmmmm was it me the dust or my sweet respirator with the pink filters hmmm i don't know .I got this great pic myself with a disposable of the temple during the storm i will post shortly. cya soon dj big "E" p.s. reba maybe the photographers were intimitaded by your beuty.
dj big E

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:58 am

Please take photos of the police if you see them entering someones tent with out a search warrent or permission of the owners. We need to more proof that this law is being violated.

Your tent is your abode!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Tancorix » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:34 am

But...how do you know that they don't have a warrant? I'm not about to go up there and ask 'em if it's not my tent and be arrested for obstruction of justice or whatever wacky charges they can think of. Getting a ride back from Lovelock is a bitch too.

I do see your point but unless you have a good zoom lens, I'd keep on walking and let the LEO's do their thing.
Tancorix

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:31 pm

Its a touchy situation, but neighbors need to watch out for each other. Ask them if you can help them, then ask them if they have a search warrent if they enter when no one's there.

They can't do anything to you for asking. Let them try. The bmorg should be backing people up on this. Of course you should be clean if doing so.

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Return to Experiences at Burning Man