what's your handle, baby?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

how closely does your playa name/personality match your everyday life?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:17 pm

not at all
3%
fits me like a glove
97%

Total votes : 34

Postby Chimp » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:17 am

Gotta be honest, I dunno' I dance like a fucking twisted maniac - maybe thats it?

I ain't very hairy so it can't be that.
Chimp

You asked for it!

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:15 am

I have been called RobbiDobbs by my grandfather since I was born. It was his term-of-endearment for me, and he ONLY called me this, even as an adult. 1999 was my first year, and I was standing in the newbie Rangers line to get my shirt and submit my "handle". My grandfather had just had his first heart attack the week prior, and I was feeling a little angst. So I chose his name for me as my handle. That's not the punchline. Two days later someone asked me if I have heard the Word of Bob. Oh NO!
I've been following the dictates of the Church of the Subgenius, trying to be a good Connie, and spewing bobbist dogma since 1988. It had not occured to me that my chosen handle could me mis-identified as "daughter of Bob." So I told the asker the story of my grandfather.
After the 1999 burn, I walked up to and hugged Ranger Coyote (aka Puzzling Evidence, the man who killed Bob), and he was standing next to Dr Howl. I was introduced by Coyote as RobbiDobbs, daughter of Bob. Oh NO! So I feigned embarrassment, and told Hal the story of my grandfather. He said this was a matter of synchronicity. All is well.
In 2000 I returned to BRC as a DMV Ranger. I found the Subgenius Camp, where I also found Ranger Philo Drummond. I hugged him (as Rangers are one big, sticky, mooshy family and shit) and we chatted, and we went inside his rental RV where I was introduced to Ivan Stang. His eyes got big at the recognition of my name RobbiDobbs (or was it my red hair and volumptuous physique?), and the three of us had a lovely chat about my grandfather. He accepted my nomiker for whatever excuse I had for it, and all is well.
Any questions?
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Angry Butterfly » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:46 pm

I thought playa names were the stupidest thing ever, like raver names but about a million times more pretentious, then I realized it was just the firedancers! JK (not really) but then I got really really angry, and I talked about wearing the huge aluminum wings i built (FOR SOMEONE ELSE) I would be THE ANGRY BUTTERFLY! I actualy stuck to my "playa Names are stupid" untill I started doing stuff I didnt want people to remember my real name for, I mainly only use it online, but next year I am going to use it, because the more I think about it, the more I LIKE IT! Next year I am building my OWN Wings, and they are going to be part of a vehicle, and they are going to SHOOT FIRE instead of wimpy ass firedancer stuff! I may even have an "ANGER CAMP" Where you can go and be ANGRY! Of course, I could just join the camps that are already angry.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Drift Every Thread Now

Postby blyslv » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:00 pm

Badger is my spirit animal. I do subscribe to such things.

I dreamt about a healer I had been seeing. I answered the doorbell and she was standing there in her tidy whities. She told me the totem animal for my heart is the owl. Several days later I saddled up to ride my bike home in the dark. As I started down the Potomac River bike path an owl swooped into the circle of light. For ten or so slow steady beats of his wings he stayed with me. Later, coming around a bend in the river/path I saw a full moon hanging low and heavy. Ever since then the owl has been my heart totem.

Thanks for the story Badger.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Aw c'mon now, badger.

Postby Rob the Wop » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:33 pm

Are you sure <b>this</b> isn't why you chose your handle?

<i>Gotta admit, for useless Web crap- this definately is at the top of the list for me.</i>
Rob the Wop

Postby III » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:06 pm

>Rob the Wop

were you around on the *old* old eplaya? the one before the web crossing thing? before burning man '98? (there are two other people i know from the eplaya way back then, but they gave up on it because the changes made it too antisocial). i'm wondering if i'm just hallucinating...
III

Re: Aw c'mon now, badger.

Postby blyslv » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:11 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:Are you sure <b>this</b> isn't why you chose your handle?

<i>Gotta admit, for useless Web crap- this definately is at the top of the list for me.</i>

And yet, there is something oddly compelling in it, wasn't there?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Yep.

Postby Rob the Wop » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:15 pm

III wrote:>Rob the Wop

were you around on the *old* old eplaya? the one before the web crossing thing? before burning man '98? (there are two other people i know from the eplaya way back then, but they gave up on it because the changes made it too antisocial). i'm wondering if i'm just hallucinating...

I was indeed. It was actually kind of fun having only one thread where everyone posted. It made it kind of a free-for-all. You had to remember 5-6 different discussions to realize anything made sense. I remember seeing you post as Trey Gosh, but I'm not sure if anyone else ever tranferred over.
Rob the Wop

Re: Aw c'mon now, badger.

Postby Rob the Wop » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:18 pm

blyslv wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote:Are you sure <b>this</b> isn't why you chose your handle?

And yet, there is something oddly compelling in it, wasn't there?

Compelling, yet oddly disturbing and unsettling. I'm sure I'll spend the next week waking up screaming, "badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom"
Rob the Wop

Postby III » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:19 pm

>I remember seeing you post as Trey Gosh, but I'm not sure if anyone else ever tranferred over.

nope. i still see hannah and jake on a regular basis, but they gave up on the eplaya when it went to web-x. the whole logging in thing was too controlling, i think.

okay, enough with the goddam reminiscing...
III

Postby Lydia Love » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:34 pm

next week waking up screaming, "badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom"

My husband and I just danced all around the house to it... dangerous meme though - still running through my head.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Chef » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:59 pm

The handle "Chef" was bestowed on me by my campmates in 2000 and has been with me ever since.
Chef

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man