300 watts bullshit

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby philosopher » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:34 pm

But I would like it if we had the kind of arrangement diane o'thirst describes.
philosopher

Postby diane o'thirst » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:47 pm

Hey, music is great. Nothing gets me compressed faster than smelling Playa, feeling the wind and hearing the echoing bass across the desert.

And staying up until you drop over from sheer exhaustion is fine, but I think we're talking about intrusive to the point of abusive levels of sound all around you, that can't be escaped from (except physically).

Let's consider, though, the alternatives:

Say you take the Playa goblins' advice to suck it up, bitch, and dive into the Playa life full-bore. Talk like the Romans, et al. Then, two or three days later, you're sleep-deprived, starving, endorphins are going hard and fast and you're doing it in a hostile environment, fall over. Possibly in front of an art car's wheels, into a fire, in front of a cop. Word gets out that people are dropping dead from exhaustion at the event.

Another tack: Say the placers really screw up and put you in the middle of deejay WWIII clusterfuck. Your camp is a massage camp. It is no longer. Nobody wants to come to your camp because trying to relax in the middle of four ways-to-Sunday boom-boom-thump going on on all sides is best described as an exercise in futility. So let's also say that your beautiful, serene Pagoda of Massage cannot be moved because it took you three days to build it, and now you can't even sleep in it. So you do what the Playa goblins suggest and find a chill zone to sleep in so you don't run the risk of serious health compromisations via sleep deprivation in a harsh environment. THIS IS NOT GOOD! You're essentially homeless for the duration of the festival and putting a strain on someone else's infrastructure/interactivity. Someone has violated the principle of "Take no action that interferes with the immediate experience of another" in your case, and you're paying it forward by interfering with another's immediate experience. Nobody wins except the sound bully who refuses to be a good neighbour.

Say the camp next to you burns fires all day and all night, because, hey, it's Burning Man, man. So what if the ORG says "No fires in camp!" They also say "No sound systems over 300 watts." Gee, was that your dome that caught? Too bad. Suck it up, whiner, it's Burning Man.

Telling people to bring earplugs and saying "Sleep is for sissies" is disrespectful and ineffectual in the face of 4,000 watts and a placement team who clearly don't give a rusty fuckwich.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Journeyman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:35 am

In no way do I suggest that any of these ideas become established rules, but I do suggest that the ideas expressed here and above come into the consideration of all sound operators.
Isotopia, these are just ideas I'm tossing out for digestion. I'm sorry if they come across as "you people should," as that is not my intent. I'm doing a sound system that will follow my stated guidelines, and offering those guidelines for those who can't come up with a plan of their own. By following these guidelines, there will be no need for gestapo enforcement.
Personally, I agree with others that the music, as has been, is the pulse and part of the spirit of Burning Man, and I love it even when it keeps me awake. I accept that for nine or ten days I'll not be sleeping in my default patterns, and it's part of the package. I also don't believe that anyone consciously wants confrontation with his/her neighbors, and am offering solutions to avoid that situation.
Infinity = 1; since 1 / infinity = 1, zero is an absolute impossibility. The reason triangles are so unlike other polygons is that a triangle is part of a polygon bridging two dimensions.
Journeyman

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:11 am

For years now the LLC has made it quite clear that large scale sound installations go outside of the 10:00 and 2:00 roads. Anything inside the rest of the ring / inner circles is subject to the 300 watt rule. I don't understand why everyone wants to redebate something that if enforced or at least reasonably adhered to would work just fine.

As for how to enforce it...the rule should be applied on a case by case basis. Blanket enforcement will have Rangers or others running around with SPL meters in what could turn out to be a version of Playa whack-a-mole trying to enforce the rules....when they have more important things to do. I'm for falling back on people building a community and as part of that spirit you link up with your neighbors and work out disputes like sound issues. If it gets ugly you bring in the Rangers or others to help mediate it.

(And if a Ranger reviews it and says it needs to be turned down or the camp moved that should be the end of it...we don't need appeals, just get it done and get back to why we're all there to begin with.)

Some of the stuff I'm reading here has me seeing "a failure to communicate" compounded by a desire to have someone else fix your issues for you. Again it's simple to me. Get out there and build community by communication, by compromise, and fix the dang problem yourself. And if everyone around the high volume camp comes to an agreement and it works out then the higher sound volume just adds to the cacaphony that makes BM so special in the first place.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:31 am

And BTW, we DO have some decibel meters. And they're used primarily to show complainants that "Look, see? It's not that loud after all."
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Noise=unwanted sound

Postby gyre » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:05 pm

Noise is a far more complex issue than just decibel levels.
Harmonic sound usually seems less loud than inharmonic.
How loud does an overdriven solid state amp have to be to send you rummaging through the trunk for that leftover rpg?
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

300W bullshit

Postby jevfro » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:08 pm

[quote="Journeyman"][color=blue][size=9] In no way do I suggest that any of these ideas become established rules, but I do suggest that the ideas expressed here and above come into the consideration of all sound operators.[/size] [/color]
Isotopia, these are just ideas I'm tossing out for digestion. I'm sorry if they come across as "you people should," as that is not my intent. I'm doing a sound system that will follow my stated guidelines, and offering those guidelines for those who can't come up with a plan of their own. By following these guidelines, there will be no need for gestapo enforcement.
Personally, I agree with others that the music, as has been, is the pulse and part of the spirit of Burning Man, and I love it even when it keeps me awake. I accept that for nine or ten days I'll not be sleeping in my default patterns, and it's part of the package. I also don't believe that anyone consciously wants confrontation with his/her neighbors, and am offering solutions to avoid that situation.[/quote]

Journyman has some very good ideas and points out the futileness of a "300W bullshit" rule. The whole reason I read any of this thread in the first place, the title says it all. Now if there was sound level zones throughout BRC this might solve many of the problems discussed here.
jevfro

300 watts... 3 months down the road, but still relevant.

Postby Imagigrl » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:57 pm

[Personally, I would like to see more art and less "Mr Souppa DJ Jamma Man" setups.]

When is noise art or art noise?

The 300 Watt Max sound restriction is a BMORG way of hinting very loudly that, during the past two decades, Burners have over killed the event in regards to the audio art genre and to the point of bullying their neighbors and other camps with sound. These ‘sound bullies’ have become too competitive often promoting a negative and exclusive environment that is more focused on being ‘super clubs’ in opposition of engaging open-minded and diverse individuals within a giving, supportive, creative and cooperative atmosphere. These sound bullies are often comprised of camps and bars that lack ingenuity. Some of them have even branched out to becoming rider-biased art car dance clubs and private parties upholding the illusion of being interactive. As the population grows so does the noise level of Black Rock City and so does its tendency to become proprietary. Unfortunately and yet predictably –it has come to pass that sound restrictions and other rules are put in place, but not enforced enough due to conflicts within the BMORG to justify rule enforcement in the face of its danger of becoming a hypocrisy of the nature of Burning Man. The establishment and enforcement of rules in any society go beyond merely encouraging the exhibition of abundant consideration between neighbors, rules are indicative of the pattern of evolution that society has mapped over centuries and that Burning Man has mapped over the last 20 years. The city’s streets have been progressively redesigned to curb some of the sound interference, but it is up to the individual Burner to give a damn enough to be actively considerate of others. Areas not designated for sound art should be carefully observed by all. If you miss your opportunity to set up camp or installation in a sound art designated area then keep it packed up, otherwise, set up camp according to how the area is mapped and recreate your camp environment to suit the street design and BMORG rules. If 300 Watts is not enough for your sound system then you have become energy inefficient and your camp or installation has become intrusive, unimaginative, and cliché. Without having to be ‘sound Nazis,’ we can all contribute to Burning Man by bringing with us some form of art (other than being a DJ). We can also choose to participate more often in more engaging environments other than dance clubs and bars. Art doesn’t have to be large scale to be inclusive. Let it come from within and share it with anyone willing to engage it and be more open to art outside the walls of sound. And still, even with all the noise, I wish I could have made it to last year’s burn.

With love and kindness towards all,

Imagigrl
~Alvays mit wuv. ;x
Imagigrl

Sound Bullies

Postby Ron » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:50 pm

Great term to whoever coined it. Diane? And your summary post was also brilliant.

It's not that hard folks, really. Damn near every city in the Western world has faced this issue and come up with a similar set of broad concepts to cover the issue. Time and place rules. For example;

From 10:00 up through 2:00, and outwards from there let the sound fly. Everyone has to point their speakers "up," but otherwise let 'em rip.

From 8:00 to 10:00 and 4:00 to 2:00 there's a watt and/or decibel limit intended to allow for sound loud enough to entertain a group of 50 or so until 2am to 6am when it's got to be turned off.

From 8:00 to 4:00 personal sound amplification only. We set up a watt/decibel limit intended to allow for sound loud enough to entertain a group of 10 or so, but no so loud as to be heard from the next camp. No sound amplification from midnight to 8am, with a "exception zone" for Center Camp.

If a neighbor complains the volume goes down unless you're camped in the unlimited zone. Then all you got to do is point your speakers away from the main body of BRC and crank 'em until the playa hums if you want.

Now don't get bogged down in the details. This is just an example. We could also substitute the kind of soft guidelines I gave above for decibel/watt limits, giving folk some kind of guidelines without requiring those guidelines to be perfect or special tools to do the monitoring.

The bottom line is that history very clearly shows that when folk live together noise is going to be an issue. We can ignore that or we can try to create the kind of world we want to live in in the face of that. Or so it seems to me.

Oh, and can anyone find this 300 watt rule for me? I can't seem to see that it's been published by BMORG anywhere....
Ron

Postby Kinetic IV » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:26 pm

That's an interesting post. I have but one question.

Who is going to enforce the proposed "rules"?

Damn near every Western city has taxpayer funded LE to back up the "rules". Now granted BRC has taxpayer funded LE too (ie: BLM Rangers, the "I want to trounce your rights to look good so I can get a vote" local sheriff) but many on here will agree that's the last group you want nosing around and enforcing anything out there. There's always the BRC Rangers, a volunteer force that already has plenty to do without taking this on. So do they get saddled with sound meters and wire cutters as part of their gear next year?

So back to my original question...who gets the fun task of carrying this out? I'm not trying to be mean with the post, just realistic.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Sandwichman » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:41 pm

I have a simple question.

If I plan to bring a 1000 watt system. I am clearly going to be blown away by the camps at 10 and 2 but I will be over 300 watts. I plan on music from 5pm until sunrise. what is your solution to allowing my music to be played at 1000 watts off of the 10 and 2 streets without pissing you off. My music could be anything but mostly will be electronica.

I honestly hear a lot of complaints but no solutions that don't involve more rules or enforcement. We are creative people and if we are able to help eachother rather than complain we might move forward a few steps.

Does anyone here have knowledge about sound enough to teach a few people how to better setup.

My personal solution is setting up a wall around the dancefloor to create some sound blocking. Sheets of plywood painted to reflect my theme and fabric will keep my camp aesthetics pleasing while helping my neighbors rest.
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby regionalchaos » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:42 pm

My hunch would be black rock rangers. It's not like there is precident for fines or punishment however. I think if something like that were to be put in place, BR rangers should politely ask the people camped there to consider their neighbors and turn their music down or off. I don't think it should go beyond that. Just a friendly request and leave them to decide how they will interact with their community.

Personally though, I don't want to know what time of day it is, and Wednesday through Friday is usually a bit of a blur for me. Following 'rules' and 'regs' is a concept I don't want to have to deal with at the man.
regionalchaos

Postby regionalchaos » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:45 pm

Sandwichman wrote:I have a simple question.

If I plan to bring a 1000 watt system. I am clearly going to be blown away by the camps at 10 and 2 but I will be over 300 watts. I plan on music from 5pm until sunrise. what is your solution to allowing my music to be played at 1000 watts off of the 10 and 2 streets without pissing you off. My music could be anything but mostly will be electronica.

I honestly hear a lot of complaints but no solutions that don't involve more rules or enforcement. We are creative people and if we are able to help eachother rather than complain we might move forward a few steps.

Does anyone here have knowledge about sound enough to teach a few people how to better setup.

My personal solution is setting up a wall around the dancefloor to create some sound blocking. Sheets of plywood painted to reflect my theme and fabric will keep my camp aesthetics pleasing while helping my neighbors rest.

My advice would be to play to your crowd and circumstance. If it's 3 am and you only have 4 or 5 people hanging out, don't crank the volume up in hopes of attracting more people. Seems like fair game at sunrise though :) I love the roar that goes over the city at sunrise and sunset.
regionalchaos

Postby Sandwichman » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:30 pm

regionalchaos wrote:

My advice would be to play to your crowd and circumstance. If it's 3 am and you only have 4 or 5 people hanging out, don't crank the volume up in hopes of attracting more people. Seems like fair game at sunrise though :) I love the roar that goes over the city at sunrise and sunset.

As mentioned early crowds flucuate greatly at any given time. If I am deep in the burbs and it gets quiet around 3a or so then I think yes it is time to drop the volume and chill some. If in the first few streets or esplanade then that might change.
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby Ron » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:13 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:That's an interesting post. I have but one question.

Who is going to enforce the proposed "rules"?.....

The same people who enforce all the other rules at burningman. Who enforces the "leave no trace," rule? Or the requirements to tag your cameras, register your art car, and so on?

I'd propose that the same folk who enforce the current set of standards and the rules for the event would be responsible for these as well. In other words, we'd all be responsible for enforcing it at first. Failing that, and in the face of complaints, I'd imagine the Rangers would be brought in. If they're unable to resolve the situation then actual, tax payer funded, law enforcement becomes the line of last resort. Just like happens now all the time and has even been discussed in this thread.

If BMORG were to adopt some clear time and place rules for sound I'd suspect we citizens of BRC would be the first line of enforcement as we are for the potty rules, for looking out for each other, and so on. We have clear BMORG rules and enforcement for every other kind of pollution, why not for sound pollution?

Ron
Ron

Postby Ron » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:21 pm

If I plan to bring a 1000 watt system. I am clearly going to be blown away by the camps at 10 and 2 but I will be over 300 watts. I plan on music from 5pm until sunrise. what is your solution to allowing my music to be played at 1000 watts off of the 10 and 2 streets without pissing you off.

I'm not believing that you couldn't find someplace "north" or 10:00 and 2:00 where you couldn't place your camp, hear yourself play, and have fun. Sorry, not buying your supposition. :)

Just keep moving "north," you'll find a space with enough acoustical bandwidth for your music.

As for the role of new "rules," in this issue I think the need for them has been pretty clearly established. What we've done in the past isn't working, seems to me, or we wouldn't have so many folk voicing their problems with sound. Having some clear organizational standards on sound, like there is on fire, poop, water, waste, MOOP, cameras, guns, cars, storage of flammables, gifting food, and so on just makes sense to me. If we, as a community, can't be clear on what we expect from each other, how can we be surprised when different folk have different expectations and clash according?

Ron
Ron

Postby stuart » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:18 pm

If 300 Watts is not enough for your sound system then you have become energy inefficient and your camp or installation has become intrusive, unimaginative, and cliché

so, if a camp has a loud PA then it automatically qualifies as unimaginative or cliche. Thank you for showing me the light. Now I will no longer need to use my own aesthetic judgement when experiencing burning man. I will phone up the organizers of Sol System, Xara, Soul in the Machine and Disorient and let them know their efforts were all for not and better to let a bunch of SNAGs offering naked massage use the space instead.
call me baby
stuart

Re: Sound Bullies

Postby DeafGuy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:08 am

Ron wrote:...Oh, and can anyone find this 300 watt rule for me? I can't seem to see that it's been published by BMORG anywhere....

It's in the booklet they hand out at the event. The book contains a calender of events, camp listings, etc. along with community rules.

When I asked the Rangers they said it was a "well established rule" that is also given to camps when they register.
Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
DeafGuy

Postby Kinetic IV » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:23 am

DeafGuy wrote:
Ron wrote:...Oh, and can anyone find this 300 watt rule for me? I can't seem to see that it's been published by BMORG anywhere....

It's in the booklet they hand out at the event. The book contains a calender of events, camp listings, etc. along with community rules.

When I asked the Rangers they said it was a "well established rule" that is also given to camps when they register.

Ok I might be under-caffeinated this morning but...I have EVERY single piece of paper and even the stickers from clear back to 2002 spread out over here and I looked. I don't see anything in there that covers the 300 watt rule. If it's in the "What Where When" I'm missing it.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby DeafGuy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:40 am

Kinetic IV wrote:Ok I might be under-caffeinated this morning but...I have EVERY single piece of paper and even the stickers from clear back to 2002 spread out over here and I looked. I don't see anything in there that covers the 300 watt rule. If it's in the "What Where When" I'm missing it.

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm as good at keeping paperwork around me. Do you recall receiving a "booklet" that was basically 8.5x11 (11x17 folded over), probably 8 pages total. It had a schedule of events at various places, concerts, descriptions of different things, info on center camp,etc? It was in there if I am recalling correctly. There were some basics for getting along and it was contained in this area. In fact, I recall taking it with me to the Ranger station to discuss its meaning. But in all honesty I don't have the document at my fingertips to point out its exact location (I'll try and dig it up from my box-o-Burning Man. I'm sure I kept it.)
DeafGuy

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:30 am

...you may be refering to the "Survival Guide", which is the official guide for Citizens of Black Rock City. Everyone that attends BM is supposed to read it, however I find that many do not (apparently thinking it is a waste of their time and talents).

For those that did read it, you pretty much could not miss the ten commandments of BurningMan, and commandment number 6 in specific (this "rule" has been around for years, I think the 10 commandments are new for 2005);

Large-scale Sound Art zones are located
along the streets of 2 and 10 o’clock at
the far ends of our settlement. Within the city
the maximum power amplification
is 300 watts. Be thoughtful
of your neighbors. If a problem
with sound levels continues after
sufficient warning, the device
or system will be disabled.
See Noise Control on page 12.
-----------------------------------------------------
pg.12

Sound travels on the playa, and
not everyone will want to sleep
when you do. Be advised that the
only reliable way to get a quiet,
uninterrupted night’s sleep is
to bring earplugs. If you use an
amplified audio system at your
camp, the volume must be held
to reasonable levels. Speakers must
be elevated off the playa surface,
and backed by a truck, RV or anything large and solid
enough to prevent the sound from traveling backwards.
The maximum power amplification is 300 watts. If a
problem with sound levels continues after sufficient
requests and warning, the source of power for such
device or system will be disabled. Art cars with sound
systems are subject to the same standards, and must cut
their sound when approaching art installations and
performances. The hum of generators can become
annoying over a long period of time. Please keep your
neighbors in mind. We recommend generators that are
sound insulated. Do NOT dig a trench to soundinsulate
your generator — enclose it in a wooden box.
Do visit the Generators article on the website for more
detailed information: www.burningman.com/
preparation/event_survival/generators.html

...so yes Virginia, their is a 300w limit within Black Rock City (with exceptions noted above).
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby DeafGuy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:44 am

dragonfly Jafe wrote:...you may be refering to the "Survival Guide"....so yes Virginia, their is a 300w limit within Black Rock City (with exceptions noted above).

Bingo! You got it. Glad to realize I wasn't going crazy. Presumably, those who have responded to this thread who have leaned more towards the "we'll blast you with our music whereever they put us" side of the debate will generally disagree with this document and its intent.

Too bad...that (and lack of enforcement) makes the 300 watt rule BULLSHIT.
DeafGuy

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:11 am

...yeah, I have thought about starting a group that would monitor camps that are outside of the LSSC zone, with SPL meters (and more sophisticated gear), with the intention of starting a constructive dialogue with the camp members (education mostly). Camps that resist the notion of following the guidelines after being informed about them would be logged (at the Group HQ, maybe on radio stations, center camp, etc). Then map the acoustic environment within BRC, maybe write an artical for submission. I would love to watch a frequency/intensity plot of the city seen from above over the course of the day...

But then, that would cut into my drinking time...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

How to deal with the 300watt BS without extreme measures

Postby sun4all » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:26 pm

1. Earplugs!

2.Sleep in a minvan, these things have amazing sound insulation! RVs have NO insulation, same goes for tents :) You can even cover up the minivan for more light and sound protection. BE CREATIVE!

3.Sleep on a comfy mattress or pad. If you are comfortable you are more likely to fall asleep even if things are noisy.

4. Put up blankets and stuff in the space where you are sleeping; this helps kill the noise and keeps out the bright morning light

5.Use a white noise generator. This will help mask a lot of sounds.

6. Camp WAY OUT in the burbs. It may suck when you have to go all the way to Center Camp for coffee, but if you want to get some sleep....

7. LEGAL sleep aids

8. Make sure that you are properly hydrated; you are not goint to sleep well if your body is lacking water. Get a thing of powdered Gatorade and drink 2L a day of this stuff. Believe me!

Remember, a lack of sleep can make the sweetest person turn into a lunatic. If you feel the need to get confrontational, damage sound equipment, etc, take a walk out onto the playa and VENT loudly to yourself! Then go back and deal with the situation once you've cooled down or had a nap.

Peace
sun4all

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:25 am

...I think the point is that there is such a thing as low-volume acoustic art, yet this is not possible if everyone is blasting their loud acoustic art. Normally, there would be no zoning of acoustic art. But since Loud Acoustic Art totally eliminates (destroys) Low Volume Acoustic Art, zoning is an attempt to prevent Acoustic Bullying. Because that is really what you are doing if you exceed the 300 watt rule in the normal city - Acoustic Bullying.

Now, I for one do not have a problem sleeping at BM. When I finally lay down, it is lights out regardless. But I do enjoy listening to a guitar or harmonica now and then, but this is becoming more and more difficult without having the experience interfered with by the same old thump-thump (unless one goes out to the trash fence).

It would be possible to have a mobile vehicle that would emit focused sound of an intensity that would prevent patrons from enjoying what you are playing (but not be heard anywhere else). If I were to do so, and stand off your sound camp and beam that sound at your patrons (driving them off), would you feel like "protesting" my art? If so, why (assuming that you believe you have the right to exceed the 300w rule anywhere you damn well please)?
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Re: How to deal with the 300watt BS without extreme measures

Postby DeafGuy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:11 pm

sun4all wrote:1. Earplugs!

2.Sleep in a minvan, these things have amazing sound insulation! RVs have NO insulation, same goes for tents :) You can even cover up the minivan for more light and sound protection. BE CREATIVE!

3.Sleep on a comfy mattress or pad. If you are comfortable you are more likely to fall asleep even if things are noisy.

4. Put up blankets and stuff in the space where you are sleeping; this helps kill the noise and keeps out the bright morning light

5.Use a white noise generator. This will help mask a lot of sounds.

6. Camp WAY OUT in the burbs. It may suck when you have to go all the way to Center Camp for coffee, but if you want to get some sleep....

7. LEGAL sleep aids

8. Make sure that you are properly hydrated; you are not goint to sleep well if your body is lacking water. Get a thing of powdered Gatorade and drink 2L a day of this stuff. Believe me!

Remember, a lack of sleep can make the sweetest person turn into a lunatic. If you feel the need to get confrontational, damage sound equipment, etc, take a walk out onto the playa and VENT loudly to yourself! Then go back and deal with the situation once you've cooled down or had a nap.

Peace

All really great notions (I especially like the minivan vs. RV comment) but sleep was not the single or primary point of this thread to begin with. It related to the total lack of consideration one camp had for another. By setting up a major sound camp inside the restricted "300 watt" zone and then blasting nearby theme camps, those camps had to all but shut down. Your laundry list of "how to sleep" through such decibel abuse does not address the basic issue. If you get a chance peruse the thread from the beginning (I know that is daunting) but then you will understand the friction this situation and lack of enforcement has caused. Peace!
DeafGuy

Acoustic Sound Bullies, et al.

Postby Imagigrl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:53 pm

"I would love to watch a frequency/intensity plot of the city seen from above over the course of the day... "

That ^up there^ is a wonderful idear! It would be cool if those 'algorythms' could be illustrated in multi-colored 3D, live on the BMan website during the event. Wouldn't it?

Another wonderful idear is to utilize a sound bubble if one is stuck in a zone that won't allow for more than 300 watts or where there is sound competition. Then get experimental with your sound... on the fly. No need for distributing invitations... your creativity and ingenuity will attract plenty. I recall there being an ingenious metallic sound bubble on the inner playa in 2004. Sound barricades and deflectors can be used in stead of an insulated dome. Unless you're waaaaaaaaaay out there such as was the golden daze of 'Rave Camp'... you'll have to be much more diligent with your sound cushioning. Simply blasting your music IS cliche... it's unimaginative. What do we Hope And Fear for the most in The Future... could it be progress?

Progressive sound, amplification, containment, and experimentation... that's a thought.

My first burn was in a rented minivan. No shit, it was quieter than most vehicles AND I had to camp in the outer reaches nearest the gate because of arriving too late so I slept pretty much effortlessly, but that's not what I want. I'll sleep when I'm back in the default world. I love the distant "thump-thump" being thrown in the BRC mix too, but there is a point when everything has reached its limit... well, except for IMAGINATION... and progress.

Good luck with your projects everyone!
~Alvays mit wuv. ;x
Imagigrl

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:05 pm

I believe that at one time we had a "generator side" and "generator free side" to the city (with the exception of the Esplanade). I think they quit doing that because so many people wanted to camp on the "generator free" side.

This year I'm camping in Walk-In camping for that very reason.
Chai Guy

Social Experiment

Postby Fed » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:01 am

Somewhat jokingly... somewhat not... Anyone think that the org may "let" earbleed soundstages be misplaced to generate a social experiment? To produce methods of solving aspects of human society that remain unsolved with rule of law (300 watt thingy) and social/political doctrines ("Most of us think you are too loud so turn it down", "fuck off and stay home, this is my art")?

Playing devils advocate... Or are the inhabitants too creatively hobbled by the default world to produce such methods? Or, is it our job to stay hobbled so we annually repeat the human failure to solve problems between two peoples and an interaction (decibels)? Maybe through repeated failure, the solution will emerge in a couple generations....

My brain hurts thinking about the possibilities.

I think for those most at peace with themselves, and requiring no tacit attainment of expectations they have of humanity, this thread is a non-issue. They just show up and enjoy themselves.

For everyone else, there probably needs to be a solution.

Auditory offensiveness seems to be felt much deeper by humans than visual offensiveness. Weird, given that it's all just electrical impulses in our skulls in the endgame. I think human mental capacity to deal with auditory offensiveness is not as well developed as the coping mechanisms we use to deal with visual and tactile offensiveness. Olfactory offensiveness is another one we can't deal with very well, it seems, but I would still put auditory offensiveness at the top of the list of "offensivenesses" (a word?) that people, and a lot of other creatures, can't deal with well, and need some well-planned assistance coping with.

Why? Human auditory perception is linked with meatspace by a single pipe... fill the pipe to capacity with something you don't want, and what you really want can't even get in to be perceived. It is a robbery of sensation, and the potential to perceive. Not the enjoyment or disdain that you feel after preceiving, but the potential to perceive, itself. I think THAT is the MOST offensive aspect of unwanted sound.

Until our physical structures as beings help us cope with DJ Fuck Off as well as we are able to deal with a revolting visual installation, I think we have a real problem that needs solving.

Peace.
All agents defect, and all resisters sell out. That's the sad truth, Bill.
Fed

Postby Tiara » Thu May 04, 2006 1:26 pm

I think a concept that someone offered above makes a lot of sense: Let's recognize that sound is not an all or nothing experience.

A zone-based approach might be helpful for people to have appropriate expectations about their environments. One possible plan would be to designate 9:30-10:00 and 2:30-2:00 as BIG SOUND areas (as they already are), 8:30-9:30 and 3:30-2:30 as moderate sound areas (under 1000W, and quiet for at least 4 consecutive hours between midnight and 8am?), and 3:30-8:30 as under 300W.

But, as with all great ideas, the issue is one of implementation. First would be the need to make sure the information was widely disseminated. That would probably have to start by the time tickets go on sale each year, and ensure that the message was included in JRS, the Survival Guide, and probably included in Greeter and Ranger training agendas for the year.

Even if everyone knew about the zones, Burning Man is about pushing boundaries. And for some people that includes breaking the rules, just because they're rules. I think this is unfortunate when the results of one person's boundary pushing has serious impacts on everyone around them. But as a community-based event, it then becomes up to us to talk to our neighbors, try to understand them, and arrive at a satisfactory compromise.

Sometimes Rangers can help facilitate that process. But really, if people stop and collect their thoughts before initiating the conversations with their neighbors, every one of us can successfully mediate tough situations.

I think I've lost focus and am just rambling, so let me close by saying that "rules" aren't as important as the willingness to consider how your actions impact those around you.

and btw, someone above complained about noisy rangers coming home in the wee hours of the morning. If that's the case, they were just being black rock citizens. Rangers on grave shift work from midnight to 8am straight through. The last thing on their minds is waking up those who are peacefully asleep.
Tiara

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man