2011 MOOP Map Live

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Re: 2011 MOOP Map Live

Postby robrob » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 am

trilobyte wrote:though I have no idea what's up with that whole block of yellow with the red streak.

yeah. we'd like to know what's up with that as well :/
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm not sure what camp was there, though I think the 9:00 end (near the porta-potty bank) was the home base for the triceratops art car.

In other news, Day 8 is up!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:31 pm

After a long wait, I see our camp was fully yellow much as I am embarrassed to admit it. I really just don't understand how and it bothers me a lot.

It was a very small camp, less than 30 x 30 feet. We literally didn't cook outside the rv, dumped no grey water, burned nothing, grilled nothing, ate atop a tarp, and packed out every bit of garbage we created (or that blew into / through our camp). Plus we swept the camp twice for moop in 2 directions during daylight hours before departure.

Granted I didn't know about tire scars, so we may have left 4 of those. Is that enough to rate a yellow?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Yeah, we're green!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby CaverX » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Somewhere in the blogs about playa restoration, I missed what happens withe the open playa.
I know that the camps area a source of concentrations of moop, but I picked up quite a bit of moop, wandering around deep playa.
ESPECIALLY the ultra-exclusive, members only, feathers required, corporate sponsored advertising extravaganza. Referenced here: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=50492&hilit=deep+playa+moop
CaverX

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Funny thing... I went to click the slideshow, and lo and behold... it's gone. Hmmm....

Maybe too much embarassment? Over leaving a FRACKING MESS on the playa??!!

A free plug for current Apokiliptika Enemy and possible "hero of Apokiliptik Union" medal (IF they do what they say):

(cue ghostbusters theme)

Someone's dropping trash
on the playa dirt
Who ya gonna call?
MOOP NAZIS

A boatload of feathers
sewn onto their shirt
Who ya gonna call?
MOOP NAZIS

I ain't standin' for no moop

If you're seeing things
that don't look like dust
Who can ya call?
MOOP NAZIS

Cigarette butts
flicked on the crust
Who ya gonna call?
MOOP NAZIS

Who ya gonna call?
MOOP NAZIS

Make them all atone
grab a megaphone
Call em out like a
MOOP NAZI

If you think it sucks
watching litterin' schmucks
Ya better go join
MOOP NAZIS

When it hits the ground
And you're standing 'round
you better call out
MOOP NAZIS
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Parasitoid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Drawingablank wrote:After a long wait, I see our camp was fully yellow much as I am embarrassed to admit it. I really just don't understand how and it bothers me a lot.

It was a very small camp, less than 30 x 30 feet. We literally didn't cook outside the rv, dumped no grey water, burned nothing, grilled nothing, ate atop a tarp, and packed out every bit of garbage we created (or that blew into / through our camp). Plus we swept the camp twice for moop in 2 directions during daylight hours before departure.

Granted I didn't know about tire scars, so we may have left 4 of those. Is that enough to rate a yellow?

I'm trying to figure out a gentle way to let you know that leaving 4 tire scars at your camp is in no way appropriate. Leaving no trace means that the area is just the same as when you got there, that includes any sort of damage to the playa.

There I did it!

Edited to say: MAybe someone sabatoged you after you left :shock:
Parasitoid

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Drawingablank wrote:After a long wait, I see our camp was fully yellow much as I am embarrassed to admit it. I really just don't understand how and it bothers me a lot.

Someone could have dumped something after you left--like a bike, or a barrel of water, or a bag of trash unsecurely fastened by a passing vehicle. The wind could have blown something untoward onto your former property, or you may have pinpointed your exact spot on the map incorrectly or (more likely) underestimated the influence of your neighbors on 3 sides. 30 x 30 is very small.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Parasitoid wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a gentle way to let you know that leaving 4 tire scars at your camp is in no way appropriate. Leaving no trace means that the area is just the same as when you got there, that includes any sort of damage to the playa.

There I did it!

LOL, you don't have to be gentle - if I was sensitive about making a mistake I certainly wouldn't have admitted it publicly. Had I known to look for them I would have paid more attention when we pulled out at 4AM. Now I know for next year and won't make that mistake twice.

Our entire end of the block was yellow (red on the other end) so I suspect it goes well beyond just our tire scars - not that I'm making excuses but all of our neighbors were pretty careful about moop too so I'm not really sure what happened on our block.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Savannah wrote: Someone could have dumped something after you left--like a bike, or a barrel of water, or a bag of trash unsecurely fastened by a passing vehicle. The wind could have blown something untoward onto your former property, or you may have pinpointed your exact spot on the map incorrectly or (more likely) underestimated the influence of your neighbors on 3 sides. 30 x 30 is very small.

Well, I can only hope and there is no way I'll ever know for sure, but I prefer to think I didn't contribute to the moop problem on our block.

Drawingablank

Postby Parasitoid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
Savannah wrote: Someone could have dumped something after you left--like a bike, or a barrel of water, or a bag of trash unsecurely fastened by a passing vehicle. The wind could have blown something untoward onto your former property, or you may have pinpointed your exact spot on the map incorrectly or (more likely) underestimated the influence of your neighbors on 3 sides. 30 x 30 is very small.

Well, I can only hope and there is no way I'll ever know for sure, but I prefer to think I didn't contribute to the moop problem on our block.

You seem to know that your area was very clean and so I believe you and think you did well. When you do your best that is the best you can do right? I can understand it would be a little frustrating or confusing to see yellow were you expected and put in the time to make it green.

Maybe next year you just sit there with your arms crossed staring at your neighbors or something :)
Parasitoid

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:56 pm

And another update, with filled in map! Note, it's not the final map - there may be some hotspots added, and they'll post a high rez version for us at a later date.

BLM Inspection has been scheduled for tomorrow.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:11 pm

The Temple is black? That can't be good.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Unfortunately not. The Hun's post mentions that while they did have temple crew on the restoration team, the remaining mess was significant enough that they still required considerable additional resources to clean up.

The lesson to be learned, if there is one, is to make sure your camp or art project's LNT plan is big enough to support it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby jkisha » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Was your little 30x30 camp actually registered and placed? My thinking is that even if your exact little area were totally spotless it wouldn't have been scored green if everyone around you were yellow. I don't think their scoring is that granular. Though I could be totally wrong on this assumption.

Drawingablank wrote:
Parasitoid wrote:

There I did it!

LOL, you don't have to be gentle - if I was sensitive about making a mistake I certainly wouldn't have admitted it publicly. Had I known to look for them I would have paid more attention when we pulled out at 4AM. Now I know for next year and won't make that mistake twice.

Our entire end of the block was yellow (red on the other end) so I suspect it goes well beyond just our tire scars - not that I'm making excuses but all of our neighbors were pretty careful about moop too so I'm not really sure what happened on our block.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:43 pm

I think leaving at 4AM was also a bad move. It's the dead of night, much more difficult to do a good job MOOPing in the dark.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:04 pm

jkisha wrote:Was your little 30x30 camp actually registered and placed? My thinking is that even if your exact little area were totally spotless it wouldn't have been scored green if everyone around you were yellow. I don't think their scoring is that granular. Though I could be totally wrong on this assumption.

No it was not registered and placed, so that might explain it.

trilobyte wrote:I think leaving at 4AM was also a bad move. It's the dead of night, much more difficult to do a good job MOOPing in the dark.

Well actually we broke camp, packed the rv, and mooped the area in daylight well before the temple burn. After the temple burn we hung out at the neighbors until departure. It just never occurred to me to check for tire scars, but aside from that the area was spotless when we left. I even did a quick sweep with the flashlight just to be sure before we headed out.

Drawingablank

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 pm

DAB, perhaps it was the wind. I was catching bits and pieces all day Monday and Tuesday. It helps to smooth down the bumps, so fewer things will settle, but maybe you just had bad luck. :cry:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:26 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:DAB, perhaps it was the wind. I was catching bits and pieces all day Monday and Tuesday. It helps to smooth down the bumps, so fewer things will settle, but maybe you just had bad luck. :cry:

Ah well, not going to lose sleep over it. Besides, it gives me a goal to aim for next year.

I don't think we left any bumps - our biggest impact was hammering in and removing 12 rebar, which all came out very smooth and we tamped down the holes. We even duct taped the top of the rebar so it wouldn't scrape shavings out of the monkey hut's pvc when we broke it down (learned that from a test run in the back yard).

Next year we are probaly going to head out Tuesday morning though.

Drawingablank

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
jkisha wrote:Was your little 30x30 camp actually registered and placed? My thinking is that even if your exact little area were totally spotless it wouldn't have been scored green if everyone around you were yellow. I don't think their scoring is that granular. Though I could be totally wrong on this assumption.

No it was not registered and placed, so that might explain it.

trilobyte wrote:I think leaving at 4AM was also a bad move. It's the dead of night, much more difficult to do a good job MOOPing in the dark.

Well actually we broke camp, packed the rv, and mooped the area in daylight well before the temple burn. After the temple burn we hung out at the neighbors until departure. It just never occurred to me to check for tire scars, but aside from that the area was spotless when we left. I even did a quick sweep with the flashlight just to be sure before we headed out.

It really sounds like your immediate neighbors were the messy ones, and large enough to make your little clean 30 x 30 corner of the world less significant. The map represents a really large area.

I think its obvious from your description that you did what you could. Since you weren't registered or placed, the people who were (and didn't moop hard enough) could theoretically get the side-eye from Placement next year--if that sort of thing is ever a consideration.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Well it's obvious that you tried and did your best. At least not being a registered theme camp, you won't have to worry about placement next year. :shock:

Drawingablank wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:DAB, perhaps it was the wind. I was catching bits and pieces all day Monday and Tuesday. It helps to smooth down the bumps, so fewer things will settle, but maybe you just had bad luck. :cry:

Ah well, not going to lose sleep over it. Besides, it gives me a goal to aim for next year.

I don't think we left any bumps - our biggest impact was hammering in and removing 12 rebar, which all came out very smooth and we tamped down the holes. We even duct taped the top of the rebar so it wouldn't scrape shavings out of the monkey hut's pvc when we broke it down (learned that from a test run in the back yard).

Next year we are probaly going to head out Tuesday morning though.
JK
jkisha

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Good plan (not losing sleep over it and taking it as a goal for next year). Plus, leaving on Tuesday will make you incredibly happy. Completely removes the frustration of Exodus lines and traffic, and no pressure to hurry-hurry-hurry and beat the rush.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby lemur » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:51 pm

hooray..

the valiant efforts by my compatriots and myself paid off this year.

my 1000sq foot kitchen was GREEN. (last year it was RED)

the camping area for out 230 villagers was GREEN with one red spot (i think i know what it was!!)

and our lounge got YELLOW ....which is a lot better than when it was RED last year...

the half a bucket of moop i picked up in the lounge... maybe it kept it from getting red, maybe not..

but im glad to see lamplighters werent ALL red this year.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby HandJamMasterC » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:59 am

I'm thinking putting silver tarps down in our bar and kitchen really helped keep any moop items from being stepped on and pushed into the dust ( to emerge after I leave ). I'm planning on doing the same next year !
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:08 pm

trilobyte wrote:Good plan (not losing sleep over it and taking it as a goal for next year). Plus, leaving on Tuesday will make you incredibly happy. Completely removes the frustration of Exodus lines and traffic, and no pressure to hurry-hurry-hurry and beat the rush.

Plus its interesting to watch the city fade away. Sad, but interesting.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Fiver » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Here's the unofficial final MOOP map, in super duper high res. As usual, zoooooooom way in to see your camp and how it fared! Depending on how high-rez the final moop map is, I might do another with the final one they issue.

Enjoy.
Fiver

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Wait... First Camp was actually green this year??? Is that a first? I seem to recall it's been red each year.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Burning Man has PASSED INSPECTION!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Good news indeed.

But was there ever a doubt?
JK
jkisha

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Not in my mind, especially seeing how green that map was as it filled in, and seeing how great a job the restoration crew was doing. Thank goodness they did, otherwise we would have failed it based on the Bass Camp site (one of the sample sites the BLM inspected) alone.

I have to say, I really enjoyed The Hun's posts. Did a great job documenting what was going on, as well as informing us about best practices and different kinds of MOOPy problems. Even though our camp scored well again this year, I feel like I learned a lot and will have to try and remember to come back and re-read in the spring.
trilobyte
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Leave No Trace