a good theme is...
broad
lots of visuals
multi-levelled

a less than good theme is...
specific
non-visual
one level

seems like at BRC we have both a space and a moment in time...a good theme defines the _space_ (eg hell, floating world) and also provides ways to connect to other times.

i like the idea of outer space - aliens, asteroids, etc. - but someone told me it had been done a while back..."the heavens" is a better way to put it.

also like the rainforest/tropical idea. i would just call it "The Jungle"

ps beyond belief might have worked better if it were called "gods and goddesses". or just, "goddess"!!!!
Last edited by The Bass on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bass

Postby atomic_rocket » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:01 pm

The theme was too abstract? Maybe we can disnefy BM a little more so that the slower kids won't be left scratching their heads in a vain attempt to understand what the hell is going on. Personally, I don't like the theme thing at all. Feels like too much of a package tour.

Oh well, soon enough BM will safe and clean, dust free and no one will be offended or challenged. RIP BM
atomic_rocket

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:19 am

Ya'll don't have to feel compelled to have an opinion about the theme thing. Themes and theme camps are designed for the more enthusiastic joiners. Nothing wrong with either, and nothing wrong with not drinking the Kool-Aid. Besides which, the o.p. didn't mention the theme or theme camp thing, just something about biodegradable T-stakes.

My idea for 2004 -- The World's Most Dangerous Theme/City/Shade Structure/whatever.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby precipitate » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:18 pm

> My idea for 2004

I still really like the Enchanted Rebar Garden idea. Though given this
year's experience with barbed wire, it might be too much of a pain to
install and deinstall.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Ivy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:41 pm

Well, I think that would certainly qualify under the category of "The World's Most Dangerous Theme/City/Shade Structure/whatever."
Ivy

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:25 am

i'd love to see all the different interpretations of the theme of gods and monsters.

i've heard so many burners piss and moan about what's wrong with burning man, the dpw, greeters, police, cows, emoticons and god knows what else. bm is about being challenged in the most challenging of climes. it's like life; it ain't supposed to be easy! and besides, if it wern't for cops and cows, center camp and all those volunteers who do shitloads of work so we can kick back and enjoy ourselves - none of us would be here.

how 'bout next year's theme:

"complaints and comments"?

the princess :wink:
nymphgonebad

Postby seaquesta » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:42 am

There is only one God!
But, and oh yeah there are bunches of monsters.
How about the theme of "where are you at?" It could be stuff like space, under the sea, on top of the world, in a tree or happy to help. Everybody fits! Multi level, multi subjects and who knows there might be two of the same sort in a place like BRC.
Or "A mirror's image" of how you see you or the world around you and us too.
Nihil Humanum Est Alienum Mihi!
Nothing Human Is Foreign To Me!
seaquesta

inner space theme

Postby debkakes » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:06 pm

Theme for '04: how about paramecium, parasites, and our other microbe friends with whom we share our bodies and our world?? They are really quite beautiful creatures http://wolfbat359.com/funImages1.html
gotta walk thru the ouch to get to the awe
debkakes

Postby diane o'thirst » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:47 am

<b><i> I would love to see what we would all come up with, based on these themes:

plants / trees / arbour / forests, rainforests, jungles
imaginary societies, created worlds
</b></i>
Oooh, park me at the corner of Xanadu and Archenland! :)

I came up with a <b>whole</b> universe and culture surrounding the race of beast-shifters I'm currently writing about. Basically it connects Shaivism and the body of therianthropy and turns them on their collective ear. Far too detailed to go into here, it'd make this already-shakey-flakey board come apart at the seams. Eventually, if my publisher <b>really really really</b> likes the stories and they sell well, I might collect it all together into a "documentary"/sourcebook for the series.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Chimp » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:07 am

Moominland

or alternatively

Snufkin's Hat

excellent themes, I think all will agree, bagsy the ant lion
Chimp

Postby Chimp » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:21 am

Moominland

or alternatively

Snufkin's Hat

excellent themes, I think all will agree, bagsy the ant lion
Chimp

2004 Theme Idea

Postby naga brain » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:17 am

What about the Dream State?

The theme is emphemoral enough, has dichotomous elements to it and can be interpreted in many ways. From the wet dream to the nightmare, from HP Lovecraft to the innocent dream of a child, to being somewhere over the rainbow and then waking in the arms of Auntie Emme. And it's cohesive enough for all of us all to have something to identify with.

I think that the subconscious should be explored this next year. We went so far out of ourselves with the belief system that perhaps its time to look inward. And besides, camp REMcycle sounds cool...Just as long as I don't have to hear Michael Stipe too much.

Oh, that was waaaay to new agey...

B
It's about beer O'clock guys....where's my riot?
naga brain

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Re: 2004 Theme Idea

Postby blyslv » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:09 pm

naga brain wrote:. We went so far out of ourselves with the belief system that perhaps its time to look inward.

Please, speak for yourself.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby PJ » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:14 pm

Bob wrote:My idea for 2004 -- The World's Most Dangerous Theme/City/Shade Structure/whatever.

I suppose I could build a combination electrical substation/jungle gym.
PJ

Postby Kinetic II » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:49 pm

I could setup a camp giving away free Gerlach municipal water....5X the allowable EPA levels of natural uranium to help enhance that nice playa glow people get. They don't have the treatment plant setup yet so I can get the water for cheap.

http://www.co.washoe.nv.us/clerks/Minut ... _10_03.pdf (See Page 7)
Kinetic II

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:07 pm

How about: 'Dangerworld'
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Chimp » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:24 am

he he he - that is fucking hilarious badger, I love it!!
Chimp

Postby Crankful » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:47 am

with all the talk about killer sign posts and barbwire I thought it was already called Dangerworld! Christ just look where you are going or have someone carry you around.
Crankful

Postby Blenderhead » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:07 pm

Badger wrote:How about: 'Dangerworld'

I have to respectfully disagree. It should be called something like "The Peaceful and Relaxing Garden of Meditation, Kittens and Ice Cream."

They'll figure it out.
Blenderhead

here kitty kitty

Postby Crankful » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:44 am

kitties in dangerworld......ummmhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crankful

Postby lurker » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:56 am

Kittens and ice cream...mmmmmmm
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"
lurker

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:13 pm

Super Happy Fun Time!
Chai Guy

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:26 pm

Super Happy Fun Time!

Back to Basics: Super Happy Fun Time with Big Fire and Shit.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Chimp » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:11 am

On the subject of kittens...

http://www.rathergood.com/gaybar/
Chimp

Postby shitmouse » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:16 pm

"How about: 'Dangerworld'"

or death world! danger is good. even better. you can enjoy it.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

How's about

Postby naga brain » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:43 pm

John Ashcroft's Security World? Camp Lockdown? The Security Housing Unit (SHU)? It would fit in with the amount of law enforcement at 03.

Brain's Camp Panopticon sounds kinda good there eh?

B
naga brain

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Re: How's about

Postby Chai Guy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:48 pm

It would fit in with the amount of law enforcement at 03.

Actually, it appears by all accounts that Law enforcement decreased in 2003, less citations, less arrests and by my own personal observations less visible.

Source : http://www.nv.blm.gov/Winnemucca/press_releases/nr03-46.htm

Law enforcement at the event is conducted primarily by BLM and the Pershing County Sheriff’s office in cooperation with other State and county law enforcement offices. State and federal laws pertaining to illegal drug use are strictly enforced. This year BLM rangers issued a total of 177 citations and made five arrests (down 25% from last year). One of the arrests resulted in a federal grand jury indictment for distribution of ecstasy. Of the total citations, 102 were for drug related offenses (also down by 25% from 2002), 53 for violations of closure orders (down 10% from a year ago), and the remainder for miscellaneous violations.

The Pershing County Sheriff’s office issued nine citations to eight individuals (up from the four citations issued last year) and made five arrests. Three of the citations related to possession or use of unlawful drugs or drug paraphernalia, one for simple battery, one for destruction of private property, one for unlawful trespass, and three for fireworks violations. The arrests included three for sex acts in public, one for trespass, and one on a failure to appear warrant from the Nevada Highway Patrol.
Chai Guy

Postby shitmouse » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:15 pm

on the subject of kittens, again: -(and rabbitts)

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/bnw.html

"when the farmers light the burn pile that's been sitting all year, you get these little rabiitt 'pop-bottle rockets' that shoot out from the fire, -- and they're on fire! and they start secondary fires! it's a problem we've been having this summer..."
-ron parks, fire captain, salida co.
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

A post about a post.

Postby Jordan 10-E » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:16 pm

As for the posts at the intersections. On Tuesday night I decided to ride my bike all the way out to the outer ring street (don't know what it was called). While I was out there I went to turn a corner and ran into one of those poles. I saw it last second, but it was too late. Fortunately I wasn't really injured and my ego was only slightly bruised because no one was around to see it happen. Actually I got a little chuckle out of it. So what I am saying is that from first hand experience there is some danger involved. It is easy for people to say that I should have been looking where I was going, which I was in general, however at BM there are so many things to be looking at that it can be hard to focus exclusively in one direction. I don't know what to do about them except to keep using the reflector tape. Blinking and glowing things are never going to stay around. So what did we learn from this? Nothing really, just wanted to talk.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Raheer » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:44 pm

lurker wrote:Kittens and ice cream...mmmmmmm

Ah, Kitten-flavoured ice cream. Good stuff, but the whiskers get stuck in my teeth.

Raheer
Politics. From the Latin poly, meaning 'many', and the Modern English ticks, meaning 'blood-sucking parasites'....
Raheer

PreviousNext

Return to 2004 Theme: the Vault of Heaven