19%
No, the voices in my brain worm tell me what to do for burning man
33%
Yay, we're doomed!
48%

Total votes : 79

2004 Theme: Nonexistance

Postby nym » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:42 pm

I think the 2004 theme should be nonexistance. That way there would be no theme, and therefore no art monotony.

If you don't think there's monotony as a result of Burning Man themes, then why was it that in 2002 there were tons of pirates and pirate ships, and in 2003 every other theme camp was a temple (including the camp I was in, The Monkey Tickle Temple).

I really think a change would be constructive. Even if the theme for 2004 was 'Nonexistance', it would give something abstract enough to prevent the art monotony monolopy.

If anyone involved with the Theme selection process reads this, please contact me personally. I'd love to start a dialog with ya!

Thanks guys,
Tom
nym

Postby Isotopia » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:53 pm

The theme is determined by the man behind the curtain.

You will not succeed.

If he didn't buy the idea of Hillbilly Vision Quest as a suggestion you can assume that any suggestion you have won't get past the castle gates.

I'm sorry.
Isotopia

Postby captain mcguiver » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:00 pm

Anything regarding ocean, pirate, ships, water, oceans, pirates, or something like that would be great for me and a lot of people.

;)

CM
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:04 pm

I've been looking for an excuse to build this funky small space ship idea I've had since I was a kid...theme or no theme I think I might build it anyway and bring it to BM for 04.
Kinetic

Postby nym » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:20 pm

captain mcguiver wrote:Anything regarding ocean, pirate, ships, water, oceans, pirates, or something like that would be great for me and a lot of people.

;)

CM

Yeah, but then again you're assured of these things every year at Burning Man. Nothing like having people in pirate costumes asking where "the privies" are.
nym

It is written

Postby Troy Van Berry » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:19 am

The hatted one alone comes up with the theme. It's his pet project. Chances are it's already been determined, he's a thinking man you know. :idea:
The art is in the details
Troy Van Berry

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:36 am

Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kinetic » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:39 am

This so reminds me of our local Renaissance Festival...I hope Larry in his infinite wisdom never mixes medieval themes with BM.
Kinetic

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:14 am

If theme is "Nonexistance," don't bother building anything--the ultimate representation of the theme would be for BM to disappear--for it to no longest exist.

(that's sarcasm)
Ivy

Postby Kinetic » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:07 am

Sarcasm yes, but I still shudder at the thought. BM has been a powerful force for change in my life...if it vanished I would find other substitutes, but I doubt any of them would have the power to change or influence that BM does.

If Larry Harvey does have a long range vision....and it appears he does, I want to be right in the middle of it.
Kinetic

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:18 am

I wanna be in the middle of my own vision.
Ivy

Postby Lydia Love » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:25 am

I didn't really have an emotional response to 03's theme

But all the jellyfish in 02 really turned my crank (or maybe I should say floated my boat)
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Kinetic » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:34 am

Ivy, I'd love to have you in my vision...as would a lot of others.
Kinetic

Postby tbone » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:53 am

Isotopia wrote:If he didn't buy the idea of Hillbilly Vision Quest as a suggestion you can assume that any suggestion you have won't get past the castle gates.

I'm sorry.

Oh. My. God.
That's the best thing ever.

Still laughing,
TBone
tbone

Postby tbone » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:55 am

Kinetic wrote:I've been looking for an excuse to build this funky small space ship idea I've had since I was a kid...theme or no theme I think I might build it anyway and bring it to BM for 04.

Please do!
Build what you want; build what inspires you. It may or may not fit with Larry's vision, but so what?

I can't honestly say that this year was better because of all the temples. It wasn't worse, but it certainly wasn't better.
tbone

Postby KnowMatterWhat » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:00 am

If you don't think there's monotony as a result of Burning Man themes, then why was it that in 2002 there were tons of pirates and pirate ships, and in 2003

"Scoop" Nisker is an author, comedian, radio personality and Buddhist instructor in the S.F. Bay Area. He used to close his radio show by saying, "If you don't like the news, go out and make some of your own."

The fact that you're suggesting an '04 theme is on the right track. My mind wanders away when someone's art and hard work is described as monotony. You're right, there are literally tons (in weight) of art that is reminiscent of the Floating World theme and much of that art is truly beyond belief!

If you'd like to see something different, the movement you need is on your shoulders; make it happen. I respect all of the artists for their ideas and execution there of. I cherish it all, old and new; I look forward to see what the future brings ~ Know Matter What
KnowMatterWhat

what about the prayer flags???

Postby debkakes » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:06 am

temples prayer flags shrines churches o'this and that. gosh, i wouldn't have thought that the concept of belief presented so little inspiration to so many. oceans pirates and jellyfish were oh so much easier.
but as i've said elsewhere: i admire any/everyone who makes an effort to bring Art to BM. Hooray for so-called nontheme!
gotta walk thru the ouch to get to the awe
debkakes

Postby Isotopia » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:13 am

This so reminds me of our local Renaissance Festival...I hope Larry in his infinite wisdom never mixes medieval themes with BM

or Hobbits.

or Trekkies.
Isotopia

Postby Kinetic » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:21 am

I think the Larry, in his infinite vision for the event has no place for trekkies or hobbits...those characters have other venues. If you read the article that covered Larry's Stage 3 and 4 visions, I expect another really cool theme that will catch everyone off guard.
Kinetic

Re: It is written

Postby nym » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:58 am

Troy Van Berry wrote:The hatted one alone comes up with the theme. It's his pet project. Chances are it's already been determined, he's a thinking man you know. :idea:

How do I get in contact with this person? I'm very serious about this theme.
nym

Postby III » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:03 am

>How do I get in contact with this person?

i've gotten in to too much trouble before to even think about giving out his email address.

but you could start by moving to san francisco...
III

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:14 am

The Form of Formlessness, you mean, or something like that? The Way That Cannot Be Described, The Theme Whose Name Must Not Be Uttered?

Oh-so post modern.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby nym » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:23 am

III wrote:>How do I get in contact with this person?

i've gotten in to too much trouble before to even think about giving out his email address.

but you could start by moving to san francisco...

Then give him my emai (nym@espians.com)l, I don't care how I get in contact with him, I just want to have a dialog with someone involved in the theme process.
nym

Postby Isotopia » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:27 am

Good luck on that one.
Isotopia

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:10 pm

StarBoy wrote:
Yeah, but then again you're assured of these things every year at Burning Man. Nothing like having people in pirate costumes asking where "the privies" are.

Don't you mean where the privies ARRRRRRRRR?

Postby nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:11 pm

i say fuck the theme! if you don't like it, do your own thing.

why do priates love fiberglass insulation? because of the high ARRRRRRRRR value!

snork - the princess
nymphgonebad

2004 Theme....

Postby epiphany* » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:14 pm

Can anyone provide a year-by-year listing of previous themes?
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll 1832-1898
epiphany*

Postby Booker » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:31 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure that someone can.

>>I wanna be in the middle of my own vision.

That's gonna require a fair amount of speed & dexterity. But if anyone can do it, it's you, Ivy.

Oh, all right. Go to this page and look at the bottom of the right-hand column:

http://www.burningman.com/themecamps_installations/

List goes back to '98--did they have themes before that? (It was my first year, so I dunno.
Booker

Postby III » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:39 pm

>did they have themes before that?

yeah, although not as widely promulgated. can't remember what it was in '97. in '96 it was hellco.

i think '98 (which, without checking the list, i think was the nebulous entity) was the first year they really tried to push it out onto the masses.
III

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:05 pm

My body is a goddamn temple. Worship the fuck out of me.

> I think the 2004 theme should be nonexistance. That way there would be no theme, and therefore no art monotony.

Or a dictionary, one would assume?

Heck, there's always July Fourth, despite that more and more art-fag glee-club types want to ruin THAT by giving it names, themes, and all that crap.

And fifty-odd other weekends in the year. So pick one, call it nothing, and stop calling me.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Next

Return to 2004 Theme: the Vault of Heaven