Expert opinions needed: glassworkers, glassblowers, etc.

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Expert opinions needed: glassworkers, glassblowers, etc.

Postby Poledouris » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:59 am

Howdy all. 2005 will be my third Burn and the first one (I hope) where I run a theme camp, but since the camp has to do with glassworking I wanted to run it by someone who knows what they're talking about.

The idea is to run a camp that is the glass equivalent of Recycle Camp. People bring their empty beer, wine, and liquor bottles to Camp Glass. We sort the bottles based on color and composition, crush them into cullet, and then (this is the tricky part) melt that down into little Burning-Man-logo-shaped emblems suitable for necklaces, that we hand out to people.

Does this seem feasible to you? Unlike true glassblowing, there is no requirement here to reheat the glass -- just one cycle of heating and cooling. It seems to me like the two really hard parts are (a) melting the cullet and (b) making the mold that the molten glass gets poured into. Any advice or pointers you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Poledouris

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:36 pm

Just be sure that the COE issues don't crop up. It's my rough understanding that most bottles are about the same, but I don't know if that's good enough without a soak anneal. If you don't know, find out pre-playa.
Since I dislike working with bottle glass as a fuser, I guess I gotta ask if you want to spend that kind of time and money to bring fuel and run a furnace just to work with it, but that's probably just me. Find the glass blowers from two years ago and the fish whistle people for basic kiln and glass on playa issues.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities