UNDERWORLD on the PLaya

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

UNDERWORLD on the PLaya

Postby nukleuz » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:08 pm

Since i have been back i have been wondering what it would take to get UNDERWORLD out there. Just imagining them out there is about to make me cry.

UNDERWORLD ON THE PLAYA 2005 ! ! ! ( lets us hope and pray )
nukleuz

Postby Badger » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:53 pm

Why? What would Underworld do for 35 thousand people that 35 thousand people couldn't do for themselves? I'm all for praying that we see less need (or want) to have someone entertain us than to have yet another faux altruist, fee-free performer grace us with their talent.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby nukleuz » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:56 am

For me personally music is my life. Music is what brings me to me (if that makes sense). Lyrics, beats, composition, I seem to bring out all my emotions/soul from music. It might be something different for different people. But for me i can not escape it. The first time i went to burning man the hardest thing for me to do was to let go. To lose myself, to become something and nothing at the same time. I had to learn i am not Chris, I am not a person,place or thing. It becomes a matter of not what you are but what do you feel. I have been a musician all my life. from guitar, and drums. To DJ'ing and electronic compostition. Sorry to rant on and on but for you to understand why UNDERWORLD would be amazing out there. You first have to listen and get lost in their words, music, and beats. I hold the highest respect for these guys and no matter where i am when i listen to UNDERWORLD i lose myself much as i do upon the playa. Maybe it is more a personal selfish thing that i would like to see, But i feel a lot of people out there would hold the same respect for the musicians and the landscape.. hoepfully i did not bore you with the details but i wanted to explain my reasoning.

The greatest lovers were murderers first...
nukleuz

Postby Isotopia » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:14 am

The greatest lovers were murderers first...

Does this include John Wayne Gacy? Richard Speck?
Isotopia

lmao

Postby dj big E » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:10 am

Maybe it was plinko running around being the bad clown. lmao
dj big E

Postby TheMuse » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:52 am

Who in the hell is Underworld?
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
TheMuse

Postby jimbobby » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:29 am

if UNDERWORLD is such a fucking tweak for you, why not stay home, get high, and listen to beaucoup fish on repeat for a week. It will save you a lot of cash and it will save me the hassle of friends of friends dragging me off to see another no-show meatmarket furfest.

[self Darren Emmerson fan]
jimbobby

Re: UNDERWORLD on the PLaya

Postby madmatt » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:41 am

nukleuz wrote:Since i have been back i have been wondering what it would take to get UNDERWORLD out there. Just imagining them out there is about to make me cry.

What it would take...LOTS OF $$$. It's that simple.
Cost of booking Underworld to play at Burning Man - $100,000
Cost of buying tickets to Underworld concert - $50
Cost of buying Underworld album - $15
Keeping Burning Man a non-commercial event - PRICELESS!!!

Imagining them out there makes me want to cry too, because it would mean big biz corp entertainment (which I love in the default world) has finally penetrated BM, and turned it into a big spectator concert.

Please all join me in anti-praying to counteract Nukleuz' prayers.
madmatt

Postby SilkenTofu » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:08 pm

it would be amazing if Underworld decided to come out in 2005

there isn't really a chance of it happening though

if you really want to hear Underworld out there..bring a CD..and host an evening of Underworld's music at your camp or a camp that would be down for hosting that.

I rather like hearing music I haven't heard before though..but heard a version of "Born Slippy" at Disorient and that made me very happy
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....
SilkenTofu

Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

duh

Postby Trishya333 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:15 pm

I don't know who Underworld is but I do relate to music as one of the most important things in my life.
My short sortof related story : This was my first Burning Man and I was naive enough to worry that I would only find techno music everywhere (my least favorite music) so my first post on this forum was looking for Downtempo music. I got some responses made careful notes and mapped out a bunch of potential camps etc

As it turns out I re-discovered my love for a few other kinds of music , danced my butt off (I wish) for days (nights) and NEVER looked back, or at my oh-so-carefully-planned-playa-downtempo-map.
Even the techno wasn't so bad.
My moral would be there is SOOO many kinds of music to (re)discover and love or hate. Move on, seek and learn.
New music is the best thing in the world to me and I certainly got my fix!
I'M MOOP!
Trishya333

Postby naga brain » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:24 pm

I don't know who Underworld is

Trishya-- you are in for a treat! Some of the best deep trance/techno music ever are the songs off of Second Toughest of the Infants. I recommend Pearl's Girl as a prime example. Their second track on that album is a fantastic DT effort as well. Their next best effort was Beaucoup Fish-- Also with some amazing results. Off that one I recommend Snake Fighting. Quite abstract and mind melting stuff.

if you really want to hear Underworld out there..bring a CD..and host an evening of Underworld's music at your camp or a camp that would be down for hosting that.

Yeah! I would totally come for that. My wife and I loved Camp Verboten's Depeche Mode night and I think that if some people do that with other bands they love, it would be fantastic! Or make that night like a 1995 techno/trance night. That'd be fun!
It's about beer O'clock guys....where's my riot?
naga brain

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Postby naga brain » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:27 pm

Oh and ever since Darren Emmerson did his own thing back in 2000 the band is not the same. I think some of the stuff later was cool, but yeah, perhaps Karl Hyde ought to listen to how Oakie gushes over BMan and see what it's about.
It's about beer O'clock guys....where's my riot?
naga brain

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Postby Steven bradford » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:10 pm

Underworld, whoever the fuck they are, are perfectly willing to come and play, just as everyone else it. Why don't you ask them to?

It's great when bands show up and do what all. My personal favorite was AWD, in 98. They were great, and they perferomed at a pre burn event too. No pay though.
Steven bradford

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities