Famous People at the Burn?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Famous People at the Burn?

Postby sun365 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:30 pm

What famous people have you seen this year at Burning Man? Has anyone compiled a list?
sun365

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:47 pm

I always thought that at Burningman everyone was a star.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Re: Famous People at the Burn?

Postby --Ever-- » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:05 am

sun365 wrote:What famous people have you seen this year at Burning Man? Has anyone compiled a list?

I was wondering the same thing the other day. Someone's post is "bjork on the playa" and I thought they were gonna say they saw her or something similar. Turns out they were speaking of just the music.

I bet there's been some star sightings. I heard that John Stewart was going to do some coverage, but that's a bit different than seeing someone actually participating.

-T
Our truest life is in our dreams awake.
--Ever--

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:36 am

Dont know if you've seen these threads but I thought I'd put them here just the same.

viewtopic.php?t=3318&highlight=jerri

viewtopic.php?t=2834

The most famous person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting at the burn years ago was Penny Marshall. It was rather discreet as one would imagine a famous person would have it.

A very pleasant experience.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby sun365 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:14 am

Someone told me that he saw Howard Stern there in past years, I wonder if anyone else can confirm this.
sun365

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:48 am

Harpo Marx. He didn't say a word to me.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sakadelik » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:56 pm

Paris Hilton was at BM this year.
Sakadelik

Postby --Ever-- » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:26 pm

Sakadelik wrote:Paris Hilton was at BM this year.

Lol she'd last about 5 minutes unless she had someone holding an umbrella over her head and hand feeding her applesauce.
--Ever--

Postby gladeye » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:53 pm

Someone told me that he saw Howard Stern there in past years, I wonder if anyone else can confirm this.

In 2001 there was a guy who LOOKED like Howard Stern and he was pitching unopened cans of beer for people to bat at one day along the Esplanade. It looked like fun, but sure enough some people were upset about the beer going to waste. It was some crappy brand anyway, but still... I think I took a picture or two of it but I don't know how to post that so you'll have to take my word.[/img]
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie
gladeye

howard stern

Postby orangepeelmoses » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:16 pm

eye heard the same rumor about howard stern,
but eye can't confirm it.

eye did,
however,
have the pleasure of meeting perry farrell several years ago.

opm
orangepeelmoses

Postby Rian Jackson » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:22 pm

sun365 wrote:Someone told me that he saw Howard Stern there in past years, I wonder if anyone else can confirm this.

um, pretty sure. i was talking to him. and jennifer whatserface was in our camp. but i don't know about pop culture much. i just recognised howard as that tall guy i see at the bar all the time. go figure.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby Sensei » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:40 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:... i just recognised howard as that tall guy i see at the bar all the time. go figure.

The resemblance (sp) is amazing, but our Howard is both smarter and better looking. However, as I was preparing to be launched into the vault of heaven aboard the CHAIRWAY TO HEAVEN, it was Howard who thoughtfully pointed out that a failed test of this machine had almost killed a test rider. I couldn't tell if he was joking. It only added to the ride.
Sensei

not this year but . . .

Postby solaritea » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:17 pm

I met the old phreak Cap'n Crunch at Burning Man a couple years back.

And I see Dennis Peron (of prop 215 in CA) is at the burn nearly every year.

Not that the two of them are all that famous but they're still good people. . .
solaritea

Postby sator » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:35 pm

I had the honor of standing next to a "famous person" while the man burned. Who was she? Fucked if I know. But she was surrounded by a group of men with walkie talkies, all making sure that her every wish was satisfied before she knew that she had that wish. And when she yelled, "Burn fucker burn," all the men on walkie talkies laughed, as if she had said something remarkable.

Oh yeh, she had curly hair and was speaking with an Aussie accent.

This girl had to be famous and rich, because otherwiise, well, it would be just too sad.
sator

~

Postby sparkletarte » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:48 pm

Oh SHIT! I completely forgot that I said I'd have an autograph session every day at 8:30! I'm so sorry to disappoint you- if you want to send me your address, I promise I'll send you an autographed pic of my at the burn.

Love you!
sparkletarte

Postby --Ever-- » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:05 pm

sator wrote:I had the honor of standing next to a "famous person" while the man burned. Who was she? Fucked if I know. But she was surrounded by a group of men with walkie talkies, all making sure that her every wish was satisfied before she knew that she had that wish. And when she yelled, "Burn fucker burn," all the men on walkie talkies laughed, as if she had said something remarkable.

Oh yeh, she had curly hair and was speaking with an Aussie accent.

This girl had to be famous and rich, because otherwiise, well, it would be just too sad.

Nicole Kidman? :D
--Ever--

Todd Rungren

Postby Rage » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:07 pm

I'm pretty sure I rode my bike by Todd Rungren this year, but maybe it's cuz someone met him behind a bar a few years back.
"I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray..." - Prince
Rage

Postby Kiba » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:25 am

One of my campmates saw Mars from Mars and Mystery, and another said they saw Paul Oakenfold. They're celebs in my book.
Kiba

Oakenfold

Postby Rage » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:33 am

Oakenfold is more than just a star in my book!
Rage

Postby zeigen » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:55 am

e-playa's very own bradtem (behind this year's phone booth and the Save The Man protestors) is very famous in some circles. Here's why:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/

Similarly, a lot of famous dot-commers made the pilgrimage a few years ago; a friend of mine spent one pre-burn Saturday hanging out with the likes of Jeff Bezos (founder of Amazon) and a couple of other CEO types.

I've seen a bunch of Howard Stern lookalikes, including one judging a talent show on the esplanade (at Alien Love Nest maybe?) in 2000, but I doubt the real Howard Stern has ever shown up.
zeigen

Wild on E thread?

Postby XS » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:55 am

Come on folks. All the stars are in the sky! Don't tell me you missed those beautiful blinky things because you were looking for a familiar famous face. Let's celebrate the Vault of Heaven.
Too much is never enough.
XS

Postby Fat SAM » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:00 pm

I saw Perry Ferrell in 2000 but I was too dumbfounded to say anything. It was the first time I ever saw a celebrity that I gave two squirts about so I just stood there like an ass with my mouth dangling open.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby Dork » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:10 pm

I had tales of "Monster Camp" with Reverend Gadget and a bunch of other Monster Garage/House/whatever alumni but never sought it out.

On the last episode of "Big" Gadget couldn't be there for the unveiling because he was away for Burning Man, so I guess it was true.

Also, everyone who got in my art car was treated like a celebrity, for a few minutes at least.
Dork

Bianca Jagger? Fielding Melisch? Harvey Pekar?

Postby Punky Brewster » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:19 pm

What's with the Celeb cult? Go to fucking Sundance or some lame ass "I was within elbows reach of..." OF WHAT? OF WHOM? WHY?
WHO GIVES A FUCK?!

Celebrity= Prison

Anonymity= Freedom

Fuck the paparazzi mentality! Be your own celebrity!
Music is the best!
Punky Brewster

Postby Isotopia » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:26 pm

Donny Osmond.

No shit.

Was wearing faux dreads in giant bunny suit inside Center Camp.

Later seen slinking very near Jiffy Lube. I'm sure he was there just to catch a potty break.
Isotopia

Postby angelgabe » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:56 pm

I hung out a little with Perry Ferrel at the Moontribe Camp in 2000.It was freakin hilarious-he was playing Goa-Trance!And he was doing this weird thing with his mouth while he was playing.Later on I had the "pleasure" of running into him in an RV of a friend of mine.He was in there,flirting with these model types,while bragging how his wife was at home pregnant.Not sure if it was that cool of an experience,but it definatly made me feel like Perry was just like everyone else...
angelgabe

Postby jackstraw » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:43 pm

Pat Boone standing near The Man in leather & a mask!
Madonna, in gay drag, spinning @ well, you had to be there. She looked like a pregnant drag queen. Some of the folks up front knew it was she but kept it very very cool. She's been to many burns and prefers a large degree of freedom & several measures of separation.
I did hear Nicole Kidman was there but thought it was a joke. M did have some rather high profile & octaned guests at her motorhome post burn when I went to drop off promised medicine to couple of her folks.
But like someone said, it ain't Sundance & these folks don't come to BRC to be seen, but to be there! Keep on leaving them alone less they want you not to.
Perry & Todd and others are burners, as are many of the others. I'm happy they've a chance to play & participate on whatever level is comfy for them. It's their community too! thanks, jack frost & I ain't from Witchita
jackstraw

Fame

Postby Punky Brewster » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:52 pm

I thought the internet made everyone famous?

How would you know a famous person if they were ensconced in a costume?

Why does your life change because you have been in their presence?

Why do we cut our own celebrity power short?
Music is the best!
Punky Brewster

I'm Famous!

Postby Rage » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:59 pm

I'm FAMOUS! Anyone wanna fuck a STAR?
Rage

Postby Isotopia » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:25 pm

With or without your hairpiece?
Isotopia

Next