Where is the free love this year?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Postby mookie » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:42 pm

People don't seem as open as they were the previous two BM's. Of course the object of BM is not to just shag eachother senseless but it did happen before, and it seems to be lacking at BM 04. What happened?

-mook
mookie

Postby oddconvergence » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:49 am

I think everyone with half their senses figured out most of the people on the playa are gross and lecherous old men. Also important to note was 2003s census - what, with the 52 % male / 47% female ratio going on, there's probably a lot of guys wanking it.
oddconvergence

Postby pippster » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:17 am

I was feeling lots of free love, but just didn't want to have sex with the married men in their 40's.

Did they get any you think?
pippster

Re: Where is the free love this year?

Postby nocturnal_steve » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:55 am

[quote="mookie"]People don't seem as open ....., and it seems to be lacking at BM 04. What happened? -mook[/quote]

Mook, maybe you are lacking letting go of your expectations. Did you experience or run across multiple acts of Free Love last year and none this year ? Or did you just happen to catch one or two acts going on in '03 and were looking this year ?

And "oddconvergence" ...I am not sure what event you were attending, but it did not seem to me that most people on the playa are "gross and lecherous old men".

And as far as the remark about "married men in their 40's", many of the core people in the Burning Man LLC , DPW, artist etc. ....those who are very serious about the event and spend months making sure it happens are men (and woman) in their forties. Lets not forget this is the 19th Burn and they have been involved with this event ever since the first burn, through the "lean years" when the event lost money and they had to make it up with benefits and dances in the Bay Area, when they were understaffed, emotionally drained, volunteered or paid a poverty level stipend to ensure there would be a BM . Assumeing that many were in their 20's and 30's than, I guess that would make many of them 40 + now ! Every time you saw a guy who was 40 +, did you check his fingers for the telltale trace of a (removed) wedding ring, or rap with him, ask him why he was here, etc etc. So please, either be prepared to stop attending when you approach the ripe old age of 40, or give us lecherous old men a break ! Or better yet reward us with a hug ! .............signed a old man and 9x burner !!!
Stay hydrated my friend.
nocturnal_steve

Burning Since: 1997

Postby nocturnal_steve » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:55 am

[quote="mookie"]People don't seem as open ....., and it seems to be lacking at BM 04. What happened? -mook[/quote]

Mook, maybe you are lacking letting go of your expectations. Did you experience or run across multiple acts of Free Love last year and none this year ? Or did you just happen to catch one or two acts going on in '03 and were looking this year ?

And "oddconvergence" ...I am not sure what event you were attending, but it did not seem to me that most people on the playa are "gross and lecherous old men".

And as far as the remark about "married men in their 40's", many of the core people in the Burning Man LLC , DPW, artist etc. ....those who are very serious about the event and spend months making sure it happens are men (and woman) in their forties. Lets not forget this is the 19th Burn and they have been involved with this event ever since the first burn, through the "lean years" when the event lost money and they had to make it up with benefits and dances in the Bay Area, when they were understaffed, emotionally drained, volunteered or paid a poverty level stipend to ensure there would be a BM . Assumeing that many were in their 20's and 30's than, I guess that would make many of them 40 + now ! Every time you saw a guy who was 40 +, did you check his fingers for the telltale trace of a (removed) wedding ring, or rap with him, ask him why he was here, etc etc. So please, either be prepared to stop attending when you approach the ripe old age of 40, or give us lecherous old men a break ! Or better yet reward us with a hug ! .............signed a 40+ old man and 9x burner !!!
Stay hydrated my friend.
nocturnal_steve

Postby nocturnal_steve » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:59 am

And as far as the remark about "married men in their 40's", many of the core people in the Burning Man LLC , DPW, artist etc. ....those who are very serious about the event and spend months making sure it happens are men (and woman) in their forties. Lets not forget this is the 19th Burn and they have been involved with this event ever since the first burn, through the "lean years" when the event lost money and they had to make it up with benefits and dances in the Bay Area, when they were understaffed, emotionally drained, volunteered or paid a poverty level stipend to ensure there would be a BM . Assumeing that many were in their 20's and 30's than, I guess that would make many of them 40 + now ! Every time you saw a guy who was 40 +, did you check his fingers for the telltale trace of a (removed) wedding ring, or rap with him, ask him why he was here, etc etc. So please, either be prepared to stop attending when you approach the ripe old age of 40, or give us lecherous old men a break ! Or better yet reward us with a hug ! .............signed a 40+ old man and 9x burner !!!
Stay hydrated my friend.
nocturnal_steve

Postby oddconvergence » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:33 pm

Hey I'm not saying every old man is lecherous, just my experience with the burner crowd and some of BM is that there are a lot of lecherous old men or younger pervs whose attitudes match.

I engaged in my share of shenanigans, but I'm a little bit irked by the overt sexual nature of some of the participants.
oddconvergence

free love vs. the wee ones

Postby GuinivereElise » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:11 pm

I think that the emphasis on children and making the playa unoffensive for minors has a great influence on the free love issue. Even the orgasmatron had to be moved!
GuinivereElise

Re: free love vs. the wee ones

Postby Aliceinswingland » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:12 pm

GuinivereElise wrote:I think that the emphasis on children and making the playa unoffensive for minors has a great influence on the free love issue. Even the orgasmatron had to be moved!

I noticed the same thing, lack of free love, but I thought it was just me!

Yes, our Orgasmatron had to be moved at Burning Man's request. Most nights there were 4 or 5 people watching for kids around our attractions. Ironically the law enforcement folks from both counties had no problem with it. They liked watching it too! In fact, they were a little upset that they were taking the blame shutting down or moving adult attractions. These actions were all Burning Man Org, but they told us we would be arrested!

I have nothing against kids but I think there should be limitations. I think the best solution would be for Burning Man to be an adult event. When the conservatives want to shut something down they do by saying it's a all about protecting kids. It doesn't matter from what. I think this issue could do real damage to Burning Man sometime in the future. Unfortunately it's the times we live in.

If they insist on bringing kids they they should designate an adults only area. The problem might be that the family section would be fairly small and the adult section very large? Lacking the courage to take those actions, kids do have to go to sleep, don't they? Why couldn't Burning Man be for adults after 10PM?

Letting villages spend a lot of time and money developing fun adult attractions that would have been just fine the previous year only to shut them down or put them behind closed doors is for lack of a better word, bullshit! As you can tell, I was a little upset by this years last minute changes.
Aliceinswingland

I'm a parent

Postby clairedad » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:57 pm

I have two young girls and I wouldn't think of bringing them to BM. Mainly because I don't want to inhibit anybodys adult fun with the prescence of my kids. I think that BM should be structured entirely for adults and those parents who feel the need to bring their kids should be responsible for keeping an eye on them and keeping them away from things they don't think they should see. C'mon people, this isn't supposed to be Disney World. There shouldn't be all these restrictions that start popping up to accomodate what is actually a very small percentage of attendees. Be a responsible parent and leave your kids with a relative or trusted caretaker.
clairedad

Postby Badger » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:31 pm

...they were a little upset that they were taking the blame shutting down or moving adult attractions. These actions were all Burning Man Org, but they told us we would be arrested!

I wonder if you're paraphrasing or intepreting here. 'Would' vs 'could' makes all the difference in the world when relaying the intent of a message. I'm thinking (and hoping) the latter was the case.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Aliceinswingland » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:21 am

I wonder if you're paraphrasing or intepreting here. 'Would' vs 'could' makes all the difference in the world when relaying the intent of a message. I'm thinking (and hoping) the latter was the case.[/quote]

Yes, Badger that is the case, of course. No one was in danger of being arrested. However, lets say we get a new sherrif in town who wants to make a name for himself or maybe just running for reelection in Lovelock. It's illegal for anyone under 21 to drink in the state of Nevada. Ever heard of anyone checking ID's before serving a drink? No one even carries ID's to check. Let's say you serve a 16 year old who looks mature a drink then placed them on a whipping wall or other adult attraction. Sound like any case that is making big headlines these days?

Burning Man has to do something about the kids. I really don't think there is any middle ground on this one.
Aliceinswingland

Postby Aliceinswingland » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:31 am

Here is link to an interesting story about Burning Man this year at the Orgasmatron. http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/42/a.php
Aliceinswingland

Postby Badger » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:49 am

Sounds kinda creepy to me. Not to mention presumptuous. Right up there with the expectation inherent in asking 'where's my gift.'

It's illegal for anyone under 21 to drink in the state of Nevada. Ever heard of anyone checking ID's before serving a drink? No one even carries ID's to check. Let's say you serve a 16 year old who looks mature a drink then placed them on a whipping wall or other adult attraction.

I hate to even go there but it won't surprise me in the least if this somehow manifests itself as a future policy dictated by the old sheriff. Will keep posted.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby TheJudge » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:42 am

Aliceinswingland wrote:Here is link to an interesting story about Burning Man this year at the Orgasmatron. http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/42/a.php

Good article. Sad, but good.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby geekster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:20 am

Aliceinswingland wrote: It's illegal for anyone under 21 to drink in the state of Nevada. Ever heard of anyone checking ID's before serving a drink? No one even carries ID's to check.

As a person that acted as bartender on an art car, this thought actually went through my mind. I wondered if LEO would do like they do in bars, get someone under 21 to get a drink and then bust me. I had a fallback position ... if someone just didn't seem at all right to me, I had lemonade in addition to the margarita. But I understand your sentiment. If a sherrif gets a bug up his hiney and decides he is going to "clean up burningman" ... it might just suck.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby geekster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:21 am

Aliceinswingland wrote: It's illegal for anyone under 21 to drink in the state of Nevada. Ever heard of anyone checking ID's before serving a drink? No one even carries ID's to check.

As a person that acted as bartender on an art car, this thought actually went through my mind. I wondered if LEO would do like they do in bars, get someone under 21 to get a drink and then bust me. I had a fallback position ... if someone just didn't seem at all right to me, I had lemonade in addition to the margarita. But I understand your sentiment. If a sherrif gets a bug up his hiney and decides he is going to "clean up burningman" ... it might just suck.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Kristy Kreme » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:02 am

mookie wrote:People don't seem as open as they were the previous two BM's. Of course the object of BM is not to just shag eachother senseless but it did happen before, and it seems to be lacking at BM 04. What happened?

-mook

Hi Mook!

I don't know where you hung around but I was on a good time mission. I will be going next year. Keep in contact and I would love to meet you and share some love with you!

Kisses, Kristy Kreme

http://kristy.nevadabrothelgirls.com/
Kristy Kreme

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities