Why did the DMV reject our couch?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:14 pm

[quote="IsotopiaThat is to say that unless people elect to take their rejected/unapproved vehicle back from whence it came that it will sit unguarded in a defined area that is OUTSIDE of the fenced area that defines the city.[/quote]

I have been wondering what happens in the case of a mutant vehicle owner who is driving their mutant vehicle to BM (with all their camp stuff inside). Since they were pre-approved, they get inside the city. But for some reason the hotties at DMV reject the vehicle. From what has been posted, said vehicle would instantly be ejected from the city into the impound lot.

So what happens at the end of the week? Say they want to leave on Saturday or Sunday (before the event is "over") - will they be allowed to retieve their (banned) vehicle, drive to their camp, and load their gear? Or will you expect them to hand carry their gear to the impound lot?

Punishing clue-tards with un-approved vehicles is one thing. Punishing those who follow the rules but get rejected is not right.

And what if their vehicle is trashed/stolen? Would anyone realistically blame them for leaving their camp (minus the expensive parts) on the Playa? The logistics alone of this scenario would be very hard to overcome unless one is wealthy (especially since most people blow their wadf GETTING to BM).

If scenarios like this actually pan out, I would expect things to get very nasty very quickly (especially for the clean-up crews).
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Isotopia » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:01 pm

I have been wondering what happens in the case of a mutant vehicle owner who is driving their mutant vehicle to BM (with all their camp stuff inside). Since they were pre-approved, they get inside the city. But for some reason the hotties at DMV reject the vehicle. From what has been posted, said vehicle would instantly be ejected from the city into the impound lot.

No. Not at all. If the vehicle does not get licensed by the DMV BUT has been given a pre-approval AND is a primary transport vehicle then it sits parked at the camp as any other vehicle is exp[ected to stay throughout the event.
Isotopia

Postby Mark Hinkley » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:26 pm

No. Not at all. If the vehicle does not get licensed by the DMV BUT has been given a pre-approval AND is a primary transport vehicle then it sits parked at the camp as any other vehicle is exp[ected to stay throughout the event.

Wow, that raises a funny image of this whole thing blowing up in the other direction. Somebody shows up in a street legal transport vehicle that has been decorated for fun, just to get in the swing. The drivers expect to just park it like that guy over there with the Durango, but are told that it is an unlicensed art car brought without pre-approval, that will not be allowed to enter the gate. Unlikely, yet amusing - at least to me...
Mark Hinkley

Postby Badger » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:23 pm

The drivers expect to just park it like that guy over there with the Durango, but are told that it is an unlicensed art car brought without pre-approval, that will not be allowed to enter the gate. Unlikely, yet amusing - at least to me...

I think the operative word here is 'bringing' as in towing, stowing, hauling, etc. Gate staff are aware that there will be folks who arrive in decorated - but not mutated - vehicles. They'll be informed that like all other passenger bearing vehicles arriving in BRC that the vehicle must be parked for the duration of the event UNLESS pre-approval paperwork is shown at the time of entry.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Stormy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:11 pm

Yes, if you are driving a Department of Motor Vehicles registered vehicle that's a pretty good clue that you can drive through the Gate to your camp. If you're caught driving around the event with a vehicle not registered with the Dept. of Mutant Vehicles you could get it impounded or be ejected from the event.
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby giantmonster » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:14 pm

jaygo - that couch is really great. i am sorry to hear of your troubles, but happy to read now that it just might make it out to the playa. i for one would love to see it/ride it/laugh at it. it looks comfy too.

as for artistic merit, it's subtle and brilliant at the same time! great concept. the couch is a staple of every house in america, and also a big symbol of being passive, removed, bored, needing to be entertained, and just commenting and observing (a couch potato is sort of the antithesis of a burner in my book). so to motorize a plain couch and then drive it around the playa is some pretty delicious irony. 'lack of decoration' is irrelevant - it's a motorized couch! simple & perfect. i feel a bit of the reactions you are getting are a little harsh and judgemental (sort of a 'been there, seen that' reaction that to me doesn't fit). regardless of whether it's been done before, it's a couch ... motorized ... driving around ... at burning man. that's good stuff! to be told to add more decorations is a bit subjective and pretty ironic in itself. my only guess is that whoever was reviewing your dmv submission was particularly jaded that day and dismissed your couch without much consideration of it's great concept. as an active burner & passive couch potato i dig it. i hope it makes it!!
<font size="2" color="333333">enjoy your version reality while you can ...</font>
giantmonster

Previous

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities