an ART 'CAR' that WALKS!?!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

an ART 'CAR' that WALKS!?!

Postby P-Mobius » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:57 pm

whoever builds the first art 'car' that has legs instead of wheels wins the funky burningman booyah!
only thing is...can it be done?
P-Mobius

Re: an ART 'CAR' that WALKS!?!

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:12 pm

P-Mobius wrote:whoever builds the first art 'car' that has legs instead of wheels wins the funky burningman booyah!
only thing is...can it be done?

Bob knows something about that. you should ask him.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Badger » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:25 pm

whoever builds the first art 'car' that has legs instead of wheels wins the funky burningman booyah! only thing is...can it be done?

Sounds good. So, when are you gonna start on it?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Dork » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:38 pm

Challenge accepted. I reserve the right to flake out. What do I get if I win? Will it guarantee I get laid?

I've already started working on something, but I'm notoriously bad about not finishing projects.
Dork

I second the challenge

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:24 am

There's a BM saying that I love to repeat:
Burningman: Excellent ideas, poorly executed.

Study robotics, take up welding, create models, and make it happen.
Remember though that you'll be dealing with movable metal parts that can jam up under the harsh conditions.

Good luck.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby bushonk » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:38 am

I saw that last year... well, it wasn't automated, but it was a giant walking quadruped vehicle... Don't remember much about it, as I was preoccupied with dodging falling embers from the burn...
bushonk

Postby Dork » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:10 pm

I saw one wheeled contraption with small wheels at the end of long legs. The middle of it was hinged and it bent side to side as it moved so it sort of looked like it was walking. I heard tale of a car being pulled by a walking robot but didn't see it.

Some of the shuffling mechanisms developed for Battlebots seem well suited to this task. They don't require actuators or computers to run, just a cam mechanism and continuous power to each side. To turn, just run one side faster than the other.
Dork

Postby stuart » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:17 pm

we've got one here at work. It's a sort of free ranging, remote controlled, themed biped. Super cool, fucking heavy, massively expensive.
stuart

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:42 pm

It's a sort of free ranging, remote controlled, themed biped

Wow... Does it ever break loose and wreak havoc???

A buddy of mine used to work at a place where one of the robotic arms got pissed off one day, lost its little silicon brain and start flailing about wildly, tearing up everything within reach. I don’t trust the damn things myself..., but then again I’m a Luddite.

As for the walking car, I'm seeing lots of big, clanky locomotive type linkages. And NO microchips...

I tell you, this new fangled technology is the work of the devil. WORK OF THE DEVIL I SAY!!!!
LeChatNoir

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:52 pm

has anybody seen these yet?

http://www.robolympics.net/videos.shtml

I'm just a cut and paste kinda guy.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby unjonharley » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:16 pm

Saw one at a man powered race. It was made up like some kind of bug...six legs. Some dept. of the UofO entered it. It broke down and didn't make the parade. I had to leave so do not know if raced. Being so slow it was entered mostly for show. I have a picture some where around here The walking things seen on the playa were there in 02 also. They camped right across from me. That year they had a machine called The Yellow Sud. I have seen it in races in the past. Those guys are super brains and a hell of lot of fun.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby madmatt » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:48 pm

And.....

madmatt

Both of those don't walk

Postby thehunt » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:28 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Both of those roll not walk.
They look like they walk since there are legs, but they really roll.

It would be cool to see something with real legs that move around, but that would be very hard, with all the dust out there to clog up any corners and knees
The Hunt \<>/ Eric Huntington - DJ, Producer, Abstract Artist - picassocamp.org/gallery
My Group: Enlightenmen
email: thehunt@live.com
thehunt

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:10 am

Go. Do. Be. :idea:
BMW Human Robot
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:19 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Go. Do. Be. :idea:
BMW Human Robot

cool. thanx.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:13 pm

LaChatNoir wrote: but then again I’m a Luddite.
!
since the whole BM "phenomenon" is completely relient on tech for every level of it's being--beyond the eearly conception--why are you here? Or are you one of those weekend Luddites?

must be off--got to resole my sabots.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Both of those don't walk

Postby madmatt » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:51 pm

thehunt wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What about this?
madmatt

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:59 pm

Hmmm...

Fair enough question.

I am here, specifically on this forum, because I live in relative isolation. Louisville is the city I go to when I go to the city. The eplaya is a place where I can interact with those who at least on some levels, appear to think like I do. It harkens back, for me, to the friends that I don’t see much anymore... in the days before I was cast into the air to see where I would land. I am here, on the eplaya because it was the next logical step in my preparation for BM ‘04. And I’ve already made some really cool local friends because of it.

Now, in the broader sense of your question, No, I’m not a weekend Luddite. The very thing that puts food on my table is a 150 year old, 375 pound anvil. It gets used daily. I suppose I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I can, and certainly have, learned to make use of it, however. For instance, prior to where I am now, I ran numerous big ‘ol honkin’ CNC machines in the tool and die industry for many years. Man, these things were thrice cool... and thrice expensive. One of the more interesting die sets I made was made to shear 0.0005" thick aluminum foil (and it did it cleanly without a burr). I can make use of technology very well. I just choose not to when ever it is possible and/or convieniant. Technology, to me, is a tool... not a way of life. If it all turned to dust tomorrow, I’d just keep on plugging away somehow or another. No more computers?? Write a letter (I do that often actually) No more automobiles? Get a horse. Makes no differ to me, I ‘ve got nothing but time until I die. I’m just happy to be alive.

I wrote a reply, in fact I believe it was to a question you asked me as your former self, that stated big, clanky contraptions really catch my attention. I’m the kind of guy who admires standing stones, takes naps under the boughs of 200 year old trees, and laments for the days of steam power. Yet at the same time, I will sit here and send out zeros and ones into the ether and most certainly will spend at least one night on the playa dancing up the sun to tech-NO and lovin’ every minute of it. I can strike a balance between the two worlds. That’s all I do in life... I balance worlds. Now... I have to go fire up the treadle machine and sew some on my kilt.

Welcome, Cryptofishist, to the conundrum that is me.

And on a parting note... I must say, agreeing with and paraphrasing precipitate’s advice in another thread: preconceived notions are not a good idea. Though they’re hard to not form. I’m curious, if any of you meet me on the playa (and I surely hope you will), as to how the old Black Cat compares to what you pictured in you head.

Meow... :D
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:19 pm

And BTW, that jinriksha is my kind of contraption...
LeChatNoir

Postby thehunt » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:13 pm

madmatt wrote:
thehunt wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What about this?

That is awesome!!!
I wonder how fast that mutant-vehicle walks. I would love to sit back in my playa-world, and have a robot be my slave.
The Hunt \<>/ Eric Huntington - DJ, Producer, Abstract Artist - picassocamp.org/gallery
My Group: Enlightenmen
email: thehunt@live.com
thehunt

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:33 pm

incredulously, thehunt wrote:That is awesome!!!
I wonder how fast that mutant-vehicle walks.

That robotic rickshaw came rambling by my camp last year. It was moving pretty slowly, I'd put it at about 2mph. It was empty at the time; I don't know whether it had the torque to pull a person in the seat.

I later saw it going the other way with the robot in tow, evidently it had broken down or run out of juice. No matter, that piece was quite an accomplishment!

I would love to sit back in my playa-world, and have a robot be my slave.

Hey, this is Burning Man... why settle for a robotic servant when you can have the real thing? Just bring your cat o' nine tails and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding what you seek.
Alpha

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:52 pm

Ther is no way for this webtv to put up a picture on this board. i have a picture of a walking insect. It took two men to make it walk. I could PM this to some one ,for them to put it up on this thred
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:00 pm

LaChatNoir wrote:I’m the kind of guy who admires standing stones
As does anyone who has a properly functioning sole.

[BTW-I was teasing (I'm a terrible tease) as the oblique reference to sabots might have cued you in.]
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

I did some math

Postby Captain Plumbean » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:56 pm

I thought of making a walker and did some rough math. I figured 6 legs with 3 on the ground at any moment. while 3 legs were on the ground, the other 3 would lift then go forward 3 feet. I think I figured on a 2000 or 3000 LB vehicle.

25000 ft per hour of speed (5 MPH) meant these heavy legs, I thought each would have to be a hydraulic cylinder to support 1000 LB of machine, would be moving back and forth pretty quickly. I worked out the cylinder size to hold the weight, the speed they'd have to shuffle and it would take something like 30 horsepower to run the hydraulic pump.

Of course, I'm a software guy, I could be way off on the numbers.
Captain Plumbean
A solid record of shaky acheivements
Including Playa Air since 2002
Captain Plumbean

Postby robotland » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:51 am

Easy- Fake It. Katerpillar Kar: eight three-spoked wheels, each spoke terminating in a "foot", on four axles. Create a canopy or covering that obscures the wheels above the hub-line. Presto, the illusion of little legs moving but a slightly less bumpy ride. (drive system on rear axle, or underneath.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

the Egyptian one...

Postby Icepack » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:04 am

madmatt wrote:Image

And.....

I saw the Egyptian thing on Monster Garage last night! Come to think of it, I've seen a few Art Cars on Monster Garage recently..

Does anyone know if there will be any in the show tonight (Monster Nation 3) that originally aired on March 1st?
Icepack

Postby robotland » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:48 pm

I wonder what the uninitiated think when the Burners with Monsters talk about "partying in the desert".....Burning Man is, of course, NEVER mentioned by name......
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Burners with Monster

Postby Icepack » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:27 pm

robotland wrote:I wonder what the uninitiated think when the Burners with Monsters talk about "partying in the desert".....Burning Man is, of course, NEVER mentioned by name......

I've noticed that Monster Garage and Monster House both seem to blur anything that has a logo or a brand name on it. T-shirts and hats get blurred regularly on both shows.

I do wonder why Burning Man isn't mentioned by name, and if the hosts or producers from either show have attended the event. I have heard that the Travel Channel has covered Burning Man. It's only a matter of time before Monster House and other Discovery shows do too.
Icepack

2002 robot horse

Postby Anthony Bondi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:11 pm

It was a classic playa project. The man had obviously been working on the thing for a very long time. He was working on it all during the week. It sort of worked, walking about ten feet but then threatened to buck him off, so back he went to tinkering with it some more. It was a mechanical horse driven by a motorcycle engine. All four legs were fully articulated and it did walk. It was horrifically (or gloriously) complicated. The camp was situated off in the suburbs and was probably visited by few people. Everyone who did see the thing was awestruck at the dedication that had ben shown to bring it as close as it was to completion.
Anthony Bondi

Postby robotland » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:34 am

I had an epiphany while boxing up some toy robots for the upcoming studio relocation- One had big, flat, rectangular feet that have slots cut into them so that they pass through each other as they make their stride....the flatfoot part keeps them upright, and the drive interface is a pair of simple reciprocating offset wheels on an axle. Two (or four) would work on a bigger scale, and I'm planning a quarter-scale model once I've set up the new workshop. Wish me luck.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Next

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities