Mutant Vehicle Help

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Slammed

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:08 am

Just when I thought we were on schedule, slammo! The beta testing of our Mutant Vehicle keeps breaking things. Anybody else drasticly not ready?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Dork » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:04 pm

Anybody else drasticly not ready?

Yes! No shell on the car yet, no lights. All of the structure and function is finished but there's still a buttload of work to do.
Dork

First Time Mutant Vehicle Lessons

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:27 am

As a virgin to the event, I did not fully know what to expect. If you are new to Burning Man and thinking of building a Mutant Vehicle for next year's event, here are some insights I could only gain after I got the beast to the playa:

The best part was turning over the keys to other pilots and setting the thing free so I could be free as well.

Artistically, the people who "got it" really "got it".

Interaction brought the most joy. Especially participatory things like the big hourglass that people could play with.

Some people thought it was a taxi cab service, no matter how I tried to explain the Space Time Serendipity Drive.

I was so wrapped up in the details like el-wire and pilot training, that I forgot to check the important stuff... like oil! The Time Tractor seized on burn day due to my neglect.

The stuff all looked cool as we built it in the garage. I think the night time concept was better than the cluttered look of it in the day time.

The art was less cohesive than other art cars. I admire less detailed vehicles with great welding skill that outdoes my nuts and bolts method of construction.

The open frame construction allowed me to drive next to the water truck and get all the passengers soaked. Better too for less wind resistance on a taller structure. 2nd Story next year? Forget it!

A voltmeter would have helped with knowing the battery charge levels.

Police spotlights with congo blue filters were cool but sucked too much power and ended up too dim. Keeping jumper cables aboard was smart.

El wire is the pasta of the gods!

Any time I started to get show-offy, I made stupid mistakes.

The radio station on board playing a three minute loop was a cool idea. Keeping it on full time and moving it to my camp would have been better.

Newbies like me who over-study may have been more prepared to meet the Department of Mutant Vehicles (DMV) requirements than veteran burners who think they already know it all.

Anything that wobbles will break. That includes wire.

Swimming noodles are cheap for a reason

Outdoor "Goop" brand is still the best adhesive

Driving on wet roads cakes the wheels with playa.

The waterfall table top suspended by springs so it bounced around was a happy accident, yet people loved it. The fact that it could rest in the middle when people sat on it allowed us to load more people on in the Time Vault.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Previous

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities