Party Floats are not Art Cars

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Tancorix » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:59 am

Art does not solve problems but makes us aware of their existence. It opens our eyes to see and our brain to imagine.

-Magdalena Abakanowicz
Tancorix

Re: The name art car may be misleading

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:41 am

robbidobbs wrote:BTW: Whenever I see an ESD vehicle, I *always* say "cool!" Sometimes I holler and wave my arms around in delight!
Why thanks!

Not trying to claim unwarrented privledge, but remember, ESD cars are work/utility vehicles FIRST. If you're the one with the medical emergency (and let's remember, it could be ANY of us out there) you don't care if your rescuer is pretty or not. My fiance worked a 60-80 hour week out there last year, and while perhaps on the high end, he's not particularly out of line for some of the dedicated medics and firefighters of the department. His gift to the city is his medical expertise and it DOES help to make the city a better place for all of us. Much bettter than having your "911" call answered by "I'm not an EMT, but I play one on the playa. . . "
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:21 am

ESD vehicles are NOT a problem in my opinion. They have so much gear piled on them plus they tend to wear "uniforms" so you can clearly tell them from the Yahoo's (plus I have never seen an ESD vehicle driving poorly). And I agree with thanking them, having worked as such in the past I know how "fun" it can be.

Staff vehicles, on the other hand, definately get abused by some. Especially come friday/saturday (and they seem to get used alot more for "unofficial" business later in the week). And old cars with DPW signs appear to be the worst offenders. Maybe these are not "official" anymore, as others have suggested, but if so they sure give Staffers in general a black eye...

maybe now that the Mutant Vehicles are getting under control the few "abusive staffers" will be easier to spot and control also...
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Tancorix » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:11 pm

IMHO if it has a DPW sticker, it's best left alone.
Fuck with them at your own risk.
Without DPW, there is no BRC.
They bust their asses for us. They deserve perks.
Tancorix

Postby Tiara » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:23 pm

um, no. DPW makes a tremendous contribution of time and effort to build the city. But during the event itself, DPW members are subject to the driving rules just like everyone else.
Tiara

Postby Tiara » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:25 pm

um, no. DPW makes a tremendous contribution of time and effort to build the city. But during the event itself, DPW members are subject to the driving rules just like everyone else.
Tiara

Postby Tancorix » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:19 pm

I honestly don't have problems with art cars with two notable exceptions. The first is the "Shark" that was being driven irresponsibly last year. I'm glad the Tire Pressure Liberation Front found him. The second...are the art cars that look like they had an orgy with a pack of cordless sawzalls and the sawzalls won, strung with a single strand of washed out el-wire or a string of Dollar General $1 X-mas lights.

And Tiara, we'll agree to disagree. I still think DPW should be able to do what they want, and go as they please. Again, without DPW, there is no BRC. They've earned the priviledge to drive, imho.
Tancorix

Postby PurpleKoosh » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:21 pm

Tancorix wrote:I honestly don't have problems with art cars with two notable exceptions. The first is the "Shark" that was being driven irresponsibly last year. I'm glad the Tire Pressure Liberation Front found him

If you check the Afterburn Report link in my .sig, you can find a link to the "Don't call us...ever" letter that the Shark (and La Contessa) received from Jewelz.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Tiara » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:52 pm

Tancorix,

Do you honestly support some sense of "entitlement" that extends to exceeding safe speeds and/or driving under the influence? That's what I meant by obeying the same rules that everyone must follow.

DPW placarded vehicles can still be driven within BRC en route to "official business", but they must follow the BRC rules during the week when all the other event participants are on the playa.

It's not about who's made the biggest contributions to BRC. It's about safety.
Tiara

Postby Tancorix » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:05 pm

Certainly they should be subject to the same speed limits and DWI rules, but as far as what they drive, and when...that's my point of contention. They should not be subject to the same "artistic standards". I never meant to come off as supporting speeding and DWI. Thanks for bringing it up and letting me clarify that.
Tancorix

Postby stuart » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:52 pm

you should do a little historical reading before making a statement like that.
stuart

Postby Tancorix » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:13 pm

You're absolutely right Stuart. But it's hard to imagine BRC in the configuration I've seen it for the past 2 years without their hands making it happen.

I have been trying to brush up on my BM history though as I'm getting lots of questions from people who know I've been there and want to learn more about it.
Tancorix

Postby Stormy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:01 pm

Tancorix wrote:Certainly they should be subject to the same speed limits and DWI rules, but as far as what they drive, and when...that's my point of contention. They should not be subject to the same "artistic standards". I never meant to come off as supporting speeding and DWI. Thanks for bringing it up and letting me clarify that.

I had no trouble grokking this sentiment.
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:23 pm

Just to be clear, I was objecting to speeding, creating mass amounts of dust into my camp by screeching to a stop and then peeling out, and general buffoonery on wheels. Other than that though, they were neat to camp next to.
dragonfly Jafe

Postby zzberlin » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:25 pm

Tancorix,

The problem is that it sounds like you're trying to curry favor with the DPW.

I believe you are sincere, in that you think the DPW should be given
a lot of latitude, and I might not disagree. But it *sounds* like you are
trying to suck up to them, and most of them hate that crap : )
zzberlin

Postby Isotopia » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:30 pm

Just to be clear, I was objecting to speeding, creating mass amounts of dust into my camp by screeching to a stop and then peeling out, and general buffoonery on wheels.

Make your objections to the perps known?
Isotopia

Postby Tancorix » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:33 pm

ZZ, I live 1800 miles away and I'm there for a week. Trying to curry favor with DPW would gain me ???? Absolutely nothing.

I honestly feel they are unrecognized for what they do. There is nothing more to it than that. I also know they hate suck ups and bullshit. There's a difference between respect and sucking up. I don't intend to cross over to doing the latter.
Tancorix

Postby zzberlin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:15 am

Tancorix, fair enough : )
zzberlin

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:41 pm

Feel free to suck up to me, I like it!

I drove over 4 hrs a day last year. I strictly drove on "business", and never over the speed limit. Usually slower. I also welcomed others to grab a ride with me, since this way I could kidnap them for Poop Patrol.

Hee hee.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby Bob A » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:24 pm

Tancorix wrote:

That goes for a lot of groups. The DPW do the most visible thing (build the city) even though some people may not know it or appreciate it.

But there are many other groups that if the work didn't happen the city would not exist, at least in the form it does today. That goes for DPW too as Stuart said the city existed before DPW.

Today the city would not exist without The JOTS, medical and fire services, Rangers, The office staff, Etc. Even the police, if they refused to work it I'm sure the BLM would pull the permit. If anyone of these groups refused to work, the show would have to be canceled.

So they all deserve are thanks and beer but not special privileges.

Bob A
Bob A

Postby Badger » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:34 pm

So they all deserve are thanks and beer but not special privileges.

Thanks work. Acknowledgement that we're particpants first is even better IMO.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:54 pm

The city definitely would not exist if not for the hard work of DPW (crazy bastards), Rangers, DMV and a whole ton of groups and people I didn't mention and probably don't know about. I appreciate the hell out of them. They deserve thanks and beer. Special privileges? Dunno, definitely to do their job during the week, and hell, let them slide here and there on some things.

As far as party floats are not art cars...I think it's evolved to Mutant Vehicles now. I like what Borris said about serving a social purpose. However, I do believe they need to fit the criteria provided by the DMV. I hate to see a painted pick-up towing a trailer with a keg on it (not that I have, just an example).

Postby Badger » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:04 pm

I hate to see a painted pick-up towing a trailer with a keg on it

I DON'T think you'll be seeing that this year.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby stuart » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:21 pm

The DPW do the most visible thing (build the city)

I know, I know, the DPW does a lot. A LOT. But build the city? Not entirely true. When I arrive early to set up my camp, usually a handfull of days before the door opens, I don't see much of a city. Yeah, Yeah, I see a beautifully surveyed canvas. I know. But face, we ALL build the city.
stuart

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:47 pm

I don't really care what people think about DPW. I wouldn't really care whether a DPW existed or not. I hate the DPW parade. I worked the site crew before there was a desire from some that it be called something cute, ramrodded through the Burning Man budget sheets, and built up to be something akin to a sheep-station-cum-Boy-Scout-camp.

ObTopic: At Burning Man as-we-know-it, neither DPW nor the BR Rangers should be expected to put hippie crap on their work vehicles just to please a bunch of eplaya whiners (yeah, you) and art car nazis (ditto).

Just think of us as the de facto roadies & rent-a-cops at your local stadium concert, or I'll start quoting Tom Paine.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby chickenfish » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:36 pm

we built this city on rock'n'roll
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:04 pm

chickenfish wrote:we built this city on rock'n'roll

/\
one two and then rock

one two and then roll

doing the rock and roll waltz
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:21 pm

I agree that DPW and Ranger work vehicles should not have to follow the DMV mutant vehicle guidelines as far as decoration. They're not mutant vehicles, they're work vehicles and they should look that way and be used that way.

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy