got any reorient feedback?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

got any reorient feedback?

Postby The Bass » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:56 pm

re: reorient - on the corner of esplanade and 10 (sacred) - got any feedback? helpful hints? tips for next year? dirty jokes? we're interested...thanx
The Bass

Postby The Bass » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:37 pm

hmm...cascading silence.... (they loved it!)

put away fishing tackle...break down rod...head for bar
The Bass

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:01 pm

in all honesty, after seeing the vis at your camp this year I am a little dismayed that I was turned down when I offered video content.

I like yer camp though.
stuart

Was it Wednesday

Postby cmosy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:00 pm

:lol: We had a great time dancing our asses off Wednesday night with the afro type beat. Loved the eggcreate reclino couch bench thingy. Hard to leave.
Thanks,

c :o
cmosy

Postby Dave Mondrian » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:43 pm

ReOrient was great, one of my favorite places to dance. The music on Tuesday revived me when I thought I was down for the night. Loved the projections on the dome, too. Nice guy tending bar.
Didn't see any of the live performances, but loved the DJs.
Thanks for a great time!
Dave Mondrian

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:00 pm

Great music, but I liked the layout / location for 02 better. The corner location on the Esplanade wasn't as intimate like last year.

We also had a bike come up missing from Reorient but I can't hold that against anyone but ourselves.

And as always, the visuals were spectacular. Reorient is one theme camp I hope never goes away from BRC.
Kinetic

Postby The Bass » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:03 pm

thanks y'all...it was a Pleasure... don't worry, we aren't leavin' town!
The Bass

Postby Catblack » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:13 pm

Had a grat time dancing my ass off there. You guys rocked. I liked the chill atmo in the dome, and the vid projection was good.

I noticed the table in the dome on friday night, and it looked chill and nice. I honestly noted that drop in the number of people there on Friday, but then when we saw the lights at the Temple of gravity we went out there and were amazed.

Also saw Hamsa Lila there on whatever morning that was. (It was the cold morning) and fucking thanks for letting them play. Great soundsystem that night, I heard everyone pretty clear in a duststorm!

Damn, I think I was over there about 6 times, and danced at least 4 or 5 hours throught the week.

I'd love to see your plans for those chairs, coz they seemed simple, cheap and practical for the playa. And study enough so that I leap off one, dance madly and then flop back onto it.

So mad props and thx!
Catblack

Postby The Bass » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:25 pm

thanx, cat!

i found some pics of chair construction hiding in our 2002 site:

http://www.flyvision.org/dis/2002/dome.shtml

not sure where to get the template for the actual curve, but if you're really gonna build em, email me and we'll figure something out (we could always trace one and mail you the tracing!)

the chairs are ridiculously easy to make for the comfort you get. we'll be making a ton more next year, i predict.

the dome got a little less love this year than in past years, we gotta crank that back up too...
The Bass

Postby Immersed » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:33 pm

Yes thank you so much for letting those bands play on wednesday (or Thursday?) night. I'm really into electronic music but it was refreshing to hear and dance to some great bands. Kama Sutra was very funky as a jam band should be and that reggae-funk-afro band of all white people (that cracked me up) that played an hour or two after Kama Sutra had me seriously getting DOWN on the dancefloor!! Does anyone know their name? Is that Hamsa Lila? I've never heard a reggae-funk blend like that before and it really worked. That band distracted me in my search for psytrance, which is very hard to do! hehe!
Immersed

Postby DancesWithElves » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:45 am

The sound system was fabulous - and the setup was great! The bar area looked really nice - and as a platform dancer, you get an A+ for considering those of us who like to get up over the crowd!

I have a question - I'm putting together an audio gallery of the music of Burning Man, and I'd loaned a minidisc recorder to Michelle to (hopefully) record some of your sets. Would you please email or PM me with some contact information for her? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!

-DWE
She who must be obeyed
DancesWithElves

Burning Since: 2001

Postby The Bass » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:00 pm

we would never, ever, want to be accused of being inconsiderate to platform dancers ; )
The Bass

Now I already told Y'all this

Postby naga brain » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:07 pm

on www.disorient.com...

The DJ's rocked my world on Tuesday! Thanks to all the DJ's from Boom Box too!!!! Them Brass Tax really created an incredible vibe with the breakbeats! And thanks for giving out the info on all of your lineup! Now if someone had an mp3 of Tung's set on Tuesday I would be just very happy. But he doesn't have one, or a set list... :evil:

But hey what do you want when you have to be dragged off the floor after you've told your crew "just one more drop...one more!" I have to say that I was amazed at the entire 'package' of the camp. Just a really well thought out set up and lay out.

I would like to get plans for those 0 position couches too! Those were just amazing. Now where to find egg crating!

B
It's about beer O'clock guys....where's my riot?
naga brain

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Postby O-Cuniculus » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:39 pm

I had a bike stolen from there too. 4 am, and I lived at 3:00 and Faith (DOH!). It was quite an exhausted stroll. I had a good time there - perhaps if you guys are on the end again next year (where the potentially very long walk makes bike theft more tempting), you can take some kind of extra precaution against stolen bikes?

I'm not sure what form this could take, other than to make a short piece of chain & a key lock available to anyone who wants one while they're there. Hopefully, you'd get most of them back. Dunno. Maybe a bike check? That would require someone to "work" the check though.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
O-Cuniculus

will bust you again

Postby officer_monkey » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:26 pm

people, please get a liquor license as well as a permit for excessive fun - or the karma police will have to issue you additional citations. :D
officer_monkey

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:06 pm

O-Cuniculus wrote:I had a bike stolen from there too. 4 am, and I lived at 3:00 and Faith (DOH!). It was quite an exhausted stroll. I had a good time there - perhaps if you guys are on the end again next year (where the potentially very long walk makes bike theft more tempting), you can take some kind of extra precaution against stolen bikes?

I'm not sure what form this could take, other than to make a short piece of chain & a key lock available to anyone who wants one while they're there. Hopefully, you'd get most of them back. Dunno. Maybe a bike check? That would require someone to "work" the check though.

Just a thought.

Cheers!

Interesting ideas, and having a bike stolen I understand. However I know that theme camp people already have a lot of time and money invested in the camps and taking care of our bikes is not their problem. Plus I'd want the reorient people focusing on keeping me dancing and not worrying about bikes!

There might be some other ways we can address this. One would be to start an e-playa thread specifically devoted to the topic of bike theft...we need to learn what works, what doesn't. At first I was thinking that DPW might be able to build some extra bike racks and have them placed at strategic locations along the esplanade, but the problem happens all over the city so the approach is not the best answer. (could be a partial answer but DPW is swamped as is).

Back to the thread....collect tips on what works, what doesn't and then create a bike security page on the First Timer's Guide and Survival Guides, along with comments in the JRS to get the word out......I might just start the thread after posting this or later this weekend after thinking it out more. Whatever happens, maybe we can cut down on this for 04.
Kinetic

Postby The Bass » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:11 pm

it's really hard to figure out how to deal with bike stealing... i think this is somethin' that has to be up to individuals. bike locks are not unheard of on the playa. neither is taking your front wheel off and putting it somewhere. or your seat. either of those would make yer bike a less tempting target...

officer monkey, please feel free to hand out citations
The Bass

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:34 pm

Whatever is done, the theme camps are busy enough and the org can't do it...we have to fix this among ourselves.

Like I said, I want you guys to focus on having fun and keeping us dancing. If we tie you down with too many restrictions it quickly becomes no fun and you won't be back....and BRC doesn't need that.

By the way, thanks for bringing reorient out there for 03....are you planning on being back in 04?
Kinetic

Postby The Bass » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:37 pm

are we coming back? hellllllllllll yeah ; )
The Bass

Return to Politics & Philosophy