Post playa "weirding out"

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby PJ » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:54 am

princess strych-9 wrote:Dye your poodle pink...what an excellent idea, bradadad. now all i need is a poodle.

Pink poodles? Aging Manhattan socialites go for that. I'd work up a pink chihuahua instead. (They also have the advantage of being flushable when you get tired of having them underfoot.)
PJ

Postby crimbopple » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:07 pm

Speaking of poodles. I saw 3 on Friday at Union Square Park.. white fluffy, Standard poodles. They were wearing matching coats with GIN ADVERTISEMENTS on them!

hahahahahaha!

They weren't dyed pink, however.
Still I found myself strangely craving a Gin and Tonic with whipped cream. IS that weird? I must be weirding out biggtime.
crimbopple

Postby crimbopple » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:11 pm

Personally I thought poodle referred to your mop, your hair. Just like "dogs" refers to your feet.

Or it may refer to a nether region also endowed with hair.
As: "Grooming the Poodle" refers to cunnilingus.
food for thought.

{no pun intended}
crimbopple

Postby pollinator » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:57 pm

:shock: yes, returnning to "normal life is not so fun. But i totally agree that you have to make life off the playa more funky. Dress crazy, make weird art in your backyard just for the fuck of it, treat everyone like their your friend ( although i must admit this is hard if you get animosity in return). I just realized that I'm a little depressed when I think about this subject though. I'm between home and jobs right now and a little lonely for all my freaky friends. Anyway its great to have this forum.
pollinator

Postby pollinator » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:01 pm

:shock: yes, returnning to "normal life is not so fun. But i totally agree that you have to make life off the playa more funky. Dress crazy, make weird art in your backyard just for the fuck of it, treat everyone like their your friend ( although i must admit this is hard if you get animosity in return). I just realized that I'm a little depressed when I think about this subject though. I'm between home and jobs right now and a little lonely for all my freaky friends. Anyway its great to have this forum.
pollinator

Postby pollinator » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:02 pm

pollinator

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:48 pm

:arrow:

mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby SED » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:46 am

I wanted to keep this thread alive for a few reasons. I also find I can't begin to explain Burning Man without launching into a disjointed monolog. It's seeming as though I can't really talk about with anyone who hasn't been. As I think about it, this is helping me avoid trying to recruit new burners. We don't need that. They will come.

But I sure would like to relive a few thousand moments from last time.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Weirdin out and new burners

Postby naga brain » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:33 pm

I get that too. I can't keep myself from explaining the experience in terms of superlatives. But when I speak with others about it, I like to think that I am planting a seed about a different way to live and interact. I like to think that this is my way of taking the burn home. Most don't get it of course.
naga brain

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Double Whammy - BM Crisis

Postby Rian Jackson » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:20 pm

I had a bit at first, but now I am really screwed.

I got back almost 2 months ago from living in the middle east under military occupation. Now the world here makes no sense, feels like it never will. Sometimes I want the army to shoot me - again - so that I can feel what real is again (though granted, the physiological shock makes that a bit UNreal).

So i've been thinking about burning man and can't figure out how I could possibly acclimatize to it again. Is it possible to be the person who doesn't belong at BM?

I dunno guys, it was an amazing experience last year - changed my life and all that jazz that everyone says... but I'm not sure how to do it again. How does a person re-burnerize oneself? Help!
Rian Jackson

Welcome to the real world...

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:42 am

Hey Rian why don't I just poke you with a stick Image

Hope that helps.

"Remember: the one consistent factor in all your dissatisfying relationships is YOU."

recongruantly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

In(-)Gratitude

Postby Rian Jackson » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:39 am

Oh my dear sweet Jesus! Thank you so much! I feel sooo much better. But hey – can you use a riding crop next time? Sticks are soooo 1953.
Rian Jackson

Postby III » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:46 am

dunno where you are, but if you can manage to meet up with a couple of burners in your area, it may either ease you back into that state of mind, or help you deal with where you're at, and either way give you some clues on how to make that decision.
III

Crops, again.

Postby Rian Jackson » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:21 pm

BTW, speaking of riding crops, one of my best nights in the last two months involved rambunctious riding crop fencing. Many, many welts. Angry downstairs neighbors.

Everybody bring your crops to the playa this year!

And thanks, III. I just may do that (some more). With crops.
Rian Jackson

Postby robotland » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:25 pm

...just the thing on-Playa, for cropdusting!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Re: Double Whammy - BM Crisis

Postby blyslv » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:43 pm

Rian Jackson wrote: How does a person re-burnerize oneself? Help!

Don't take it or yourself too seriously?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Not So Serious

Postby Rian Jackson » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 pm

Don't take it or yourself too seriously?

Absolutely...

But i keep getting funny looks when i say things like 'hey, only three kids got shot today, and none of them are dead. it's a good day!'

Somehow people think that's warped.

Maybe i just need to find more warped people to camp with... although last year's camp didn't do so badly in that regard.
Rian Jackson

Postby III » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:03 pm

>>need to find more warped people to camp with

that strikes me as kinda sad.

then i realize i sometimes think the same thing.
III

Warpage

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:28 pm

You would think they would be in no short supply, considering that large parts of society believe that ALL of us are warped.

Maybe it is a matter of different kinds of warpage?

You could make a theme camp based on being warped, but i am not entirely sure how that would look different from large portions of BRC.

For starters, how about making everything in the camp at some odd angle? May as well have the physical incarnation, too. You could go so far as to construct floors with ripples and twists in them. Then invite drunk people over and laugh as they strumble about.
Rian Jackson

I wasn't right for a month

Postby el alacrán » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:21 pm

It all started as I was changing planes in Salt Lake City. Sad as I was that BM was over, I knew I needed some sort of stimulus to force me to accept my re-entry into the "default world." Nothing like SLC for that... but it sucked because I have rarely felt so cold and alone in my life than just sitting and waiting for a flight in a warm airport full of businesspeople and conservative mormons. Three weeks later I went to a barbecue near the AZ/Sonora border and looking across the desert from my friend's backyard I could see a carnival taking place in a neighboring town a few miles away. The row of colored lights and tall, impermanent structures brought it all back to mind in a huge way. Before I went to BM I wasn't sure if "life-changing experience" was just a cute cliché a verifiable effect of attendance. Now I know...
el alacrán

Couldn't go the the Playa

Postby poosie_kat » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:31 pm

I wasn't able to make it for 2003, but a friend of mine did. It was so odd, when he came back I could smell the playa on him. I could see a real difference in him almost immediately. The second thing that I asked him is if he had anything with playa on it (duh, everything) that I could smell and lick. I've found that I really miss the taste as well as the smell and feel of the playa.

I know that this didn't really fully apply but I thought that I would share the experience of someone who's been, but didn't get to go. Of course I'll be tasting the playa "directely" this year.

Ape-Rule :D
poosie_kat

Weirding In

Postby que.f.o. » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:46 am

So life has been pretty shitty recently. Lots of marriage strife as well as multiple family with medical problems. It's been kind of hard to hold it all together at times. I'm driving down I-5 to Albany, OR to see my mother in her nursing home, post stroke. Halfway there, a decision was made. I need this day for myself. So I keep driving and end up at Tewilliger Hotsprings. Amazing sunny day in the woods, soaking in beautiful natural hot water. A couple in their late 20's was sharing the pool. The women started singing a bit of a song softly across from me. I couldn't really hear her but the quality of her voice was obvious. I told her how nice she sounded. A bit later, she moved over next to me and sang a beautiful old English ballad, start to finish it lasted at least 6-7 minutes. Afterwards I asked her if she knew of Burning Man. I described the importance of gifts, letting her know the gift of her song had taken me right back home.

It was moist and green, with the trickle and rush of the water, not a drop of dust in sight, but it was as close to home as I've been since Labor day. It was weird, thank dog.
Is it time to Burn yet?
que.f.o.

Postby pixie mcGiver » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:04 am

:D I may be an optomist, but I choose to keep looking forward to my next visit Home. I look at everything and think Burning Man or not, You may be gifted one on the Plya! Who knows! See Ya'll at Home
pixie mcGiver

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy