Towards Disneyification of Burning Man ?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: self professed expert

Postby Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:26 pm

stuart scanlon wrote:oh, and by the way, we are not 'disney engineers' we have a cutesy title 'imagineers'. And while I am sure people from show/ride could get the mans arms up w/o the electrical getting all funky, Eisner and the board sure as hell would not let you burn him after the fact.

For some reason, the image of Eisner being restrained by BRRs while trying to prevent the Man from burning just fills my soul with glee.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:30 pm

Eisner being restrained

:lol:

(shit, I broke my smilies embargo)
stuart

Postby playasnake » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:36 pm

would we get a monorail?

im all for it if we get a monorail.
playasnake

Postby PJ » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:37 pm

I was pissed that Disneyland neglected to have a ride celebrating the only good Disney movie: Old Yeller. It would be poignantly melancholy to watch an animatronic dog die.
PJ

Postby Badger » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:24 pm

You forgot Sammy the Way Out Seal
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby glam_daddy » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:34 pm

Now the Temple seems to be a new BM fixture, always at the same predictable location behind the man, burning always on sunday night. I loved the burn of the temple, but it came with no surprise. I even knew how it would look like

and here i thought the temple looked completely different from the dinosour cut out temples from years passed ... silly me.

</end sarcasm>
glam_daddy

Hey! Pick That Up!!!.....

Postby Last Real Burner » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:12 am

A highly complex "MOOP Removal and Disposal System", their are some good sides to Disney taking over the event.

Goofyly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby TheJudge » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:15 pm

Probably has a lot to do with the wind. Also the technical requirements to keep the arms locked into position may put a lot of stress on the entire structure when the wind blows. Dont know for sure.

I also agree that I love when the burn doesnt go as planned. The less it looks like the superbowl halftime show, the better. Chaos can be fun too, ya know.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby Stormy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:29 pm

I also agree that I love when the burn doesnt go as planned. The less it looks like the superbowl halftime show, the better. Chaos can be fun too, ya know.

Me too. I enjoy getting to play with fire, or "fire dance" near the man but am less jazzed about that gig getting more and more rehearsed. I much prefer to free form it and go with the flow. But hey, certainly not my decision.
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

~

Postby sparkletarte » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:41 pm

would we get a monorail?

im all for it if we get a monorail.

I'm hoping for a roller coaster and the tea cup ride. Tilt-a-whirl. And some cotton candy.

Stuart, do you have access to any Disney castoff rides that you could bring?
sparkletarte

Postby Ivy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:27 am

When i was inspired last year, I found a website with listings of old carnval rides for sale. If I had a spare $20,000 laying around, I really wanted to bring the "Lotus-Flower-Tilt-A-Whirl" to BM. Maybe someday when I win the lottery...
Ivy

Postby TheJudge » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:47 am

Ivy wrote:When i was inspired last year, I found a website with listings of old carnval rides for sale. If I had a spare $20,000 laying around, I really wanted to bring the "Lotus-Flower-Tilt-A-Whirl" to BM. Maybe someday when I win the lottery...

Right, because that's what I want to do: ride an old, under-maintained tilt-a-whirl in the desert.
TheJudge

Postby Ivy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:08 am

Your choice. You're not required to ride it.

I have no desire to get branded or whipped into oblivion in the middle of the desert but that doesn't stop people not only from doing it, but gifting it to others.
Ivy

Re: ~

Postby Lark » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:37 am

sparkletarte wrote:I'm hoping for a roller coaster and the tea cup ride.

Well I don't know if anyone is bringing a tea cup ride, but last week my dad was working with another Michigan guy named Len, who is improving the roller coaster he apparently brought last year. Okay, so it's more of just a crazy ride, but it should still be fun:

Lark

Postby stuart » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:09 pm

crap,

if I walk out my office door, take a left, quick right, go out to the patio (total distance not greater than 30yds) there is a dumbo vehicle and a couple of others just rotting away. My dream artcar is a free ranging tea cup ride. My workplace is full of cast off ride vehicles. I am not well connected enough to be able to get my mits on em though.

I worked with a guy who got piles of stuff out of the parks as rides were being renovated/upgraded/replaced. He packratted the shit for years. Then came ebay. He now lives in a house on Kauai, I think it is, that he paid for with his auction proceeds.
stuart

Postby Stormy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:40 pm

Ivy wrote:When i was inspired last year, I found a website with listings of old carnval rides for sale. If I had a spare $20,000 laying around, I really wanted to bring the "Lotus-Flower-Tilt-A-Whirl" to BM. Maybe someday when I win the lottery...

Sounds lovely. Any picture links? I always loved the tilt and spin rides the best at amusement parks.
Stormy

Postby TheJudge » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:51 am

Ivy wrote:Your choice. You're not required to ride it.

I have no desire to get branded or whipped into oblivion in the middle of the desert but that doesn't stop people not only from doing it, but gifting it to others.

Right, but when someone gets branded or "whipped into oblivion" as you put it, there is very little chance of someone actually dying. I may be a masochist, but I'm not a murderer.

"Carny" rides are some of the most poorly maintained, poorly built contraptions out there. There is very little in the way of actual safety. Add the element of dust that eats through metal and it makes for a wonderful death trap.
TheJudge

Postby Ivy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:10 pm

You know, my first thought when I saw used rides for sale was, "gee, I sure would love to take that to BM so I can kill lots of people."

I had an idea that I thought might be fun. It didn't get far past the fantasy stage for a myriad of reasons (financial and otherwise) but I'd sure like o think that I would/would have it inspected for safety before developing a project around it (please note that the same cannot be said of some other, less notoriously "unsafe" things that occur at BM).

Regardless of its inspection and safety clearance, again I reiterate that you don't have to ride it, or be anywhere near it, for that matter. And, if you chose to do so anyway, I'm quite positive that you, of all people, have thouroughly read the back of your ticket.

Look, most people are familer with the rooler coaster that's been brought to BM the past few years. I don't ride it--I'm scared shitless of it. But I would not deign to tell its creator that he couldn't bring it becuase someone might get hurt riding it. If that were the case, what about art cars? People have clearly gotten hurt--and died-- from those. I'd venture to say more than any "carnie" ride brought out there (and I'd probably be willing to put money that those statistics--cars vs. carnie rides--hold up in the default world, too).
Ivy

Postby Blenderhead » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:40 pm

I'd settle for skeeball.
Blenderhead

Re: ~

Postby PurplMyst » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:43 pm

sparkletarte wrote:I'm hoping for a roller coaster and the tea cup ride. Tilt-a-whirl. And some cotton candy.

I did see a roller coaster last year. It was a big U shaped track & it had one oval shaped car that fit 2 people. The car got pulled to the top of the U & the dropped in freefall complete with tumbling motion. Wheeeeee!
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"
PurplMyst

Burning Since: 2004

Postby technopatra » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:41 am

stuart wrote: My dream artcar is a free ranging tea cup ride.

Swoon.
technopatra

Postby Lark » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:31 am

For some reason the picture I tried to post on the preceding page doesn't show up.

Here's the link to a picture of the roller coaster:

http://www.geocities.com/idwagon/coaster.GIF
Lark

Postby Fat SAM » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:19 pm

Ivy wrote: It didn't get far past the fantasy stage for a myriad of reasons

"a myriad" is incorrect. Go with "myriad reasons." Sounds wrong, I know, but I'm telling the truth.

I think I read on the theme camps list that there's a roller coaster this year, too...Is that true?
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby Stormy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:49 pm

Dude, if you want to take on the job of Eplaya Grammar Cop, you have one enormous job ahead of you. Will probably need to give up the day job. :)
Stormy

Postby I11I1II1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:36 am

When you eat Swiss cheese, don't eat the holes... it will give you gas.
I11I1II1

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:51 am

this is just one of the many example that canadians have no sense of humour whatsoever...

feh.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

blast from the past

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 pm

*sigh* I miss those folks up there from way back when...

AND...Burning Man will never be Disneyland thank the billion stars of the galaxy :twisted:
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:11 am

shit, the last original post was before I officially joined eplaya. speaking of disney.....was a rumor that Larry Harvey went on some major news network, on April 1st, and announced that he sold Burning Man to Disney. True?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:27 am

six flags over Black Rock.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 am

I11I1II1 wrote:When you eat Swiss cheese, don't eat the holes... it will give you gas.

I'll take care to remove them first.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy