It's just a city.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

It's just a city.

Postby costello » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:13 pm

What if, instead of comparing Black Rock City to Utopia City, we just took it for what it is? A city. That's it.

But what a fucking kick-ass city! Man, I live in San Franciso, and it's pretty damn cool, and the people are generally pretty neat, but it's NUTHIN compared to Black Rock City.

I like it.
costello

Re: It's just a city.

Postby HughMungus » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:42 pm

costello wrote:What if, instead of comparing Black Rock City to Utopia City, we just took it for what it is? A city. That's it.

But what a fucking kick-ass city! Man, I live in San Franciso, and it's pretty damn cool, and the people are generally pretty neat, but it's NUTHIN compared to Black Rock City.

I like it.

I always say: It's what you make it.

And like any city, there will always be some shitheads.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Kiba » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:08 pm

The answer to the first question anyone asks me about BM is that 'any description I can make will fail to do justice'. So to answer Costello's question, I can see how Black Rock City is merely the vessel for the experience. To say it's only that merely limits your definition of it, whether it's true or not. So if you limit that definition to the tents, structures, lighting/sound equipment, hookas (yeah!), etc., thats fine. I see BRC as a combination of the people at BM and the tents, etc., which constantly interacting with eachother, produces an undefinable value. Therefore please read DallasPlaya's comments on the subject, I couldn't say it better.[/i]
Kiba

Return to Politics & Philosophy