Lifting The Ban On Feathers

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Lifting The Ban On Feathers

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:55 am

I don't know.... I have to hate on the feathers at BRC because that is who I am, but so much of this is dependent on intent, like using certain words. If the intent is to mock, or insult, or laugh at, or belittle, or imply something negative about others who you are ignorant about....well...that's bad. But if it's appropriating some cultural aspect because you think that culture kicks ass, that might not be bad at all. Situational ethics are the best. And merging cultures is what history is made of. Hell, I have no idea what culture codified pants wearing, so maybe I need to be an authentic shirt-cocker. And one of my greatest regrets in life is not having a mohawk when I had enough hair to pull it off. But, yeah, when I see some short-skirted blond hottie wearing a pink headdress I feel like there should be a tomahawk placed in there somewhere. As an aside, my first time at the Burn, years ago, a guy in full-blown fake Indian regalia, headdress, white faux leather fringed jacket and pants, beaded, approached me out on the open playa. He was smoking a joint and offered me a hit. Turned out he was gifting airplane rides during the day, he was a pilot! Oh well, he was doing it all wrong but I didn't have the heart to tell him. as another aside, several times I have run into a bearded dude carrying a full sized wooden cross, have a video of him dancing at the Deepend with his cross secured to his back, gave him a ride on my chariot once... but dropped him off to go pick up chicks and get drunk.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby remi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Jovankat wrote:
remi wrote:I thought there was already a thread on people bitching and complaining about headdresses..

As a very wise man once said to me, "So fucking what?"

To be rude and on point, why don't you two get a fuckin' room and stop annoying the rest of us by talking about stuff that was heavily talked about a month ago. It would be like me starting an argument about the ticket process.

Jovankat wrote:Again, totally missing my point. But Remi is right,....

This more/less what I was expecting from your first response to my post... thanks for credit.

FIGJAM wrote:Brought to you by "Thread Drift", a proud subsidiary of Headress Inc. :lol:

The actual purpose of my first post...

Sorry for the bitchy undertone.. I'm just in that kinda mood today

Usually Trilo would pipe up and put a stop to this non sense.. he must be busy today, or just bored and enjoying some back and forth while eating popcorn.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby tatonka » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:43 pm

remi wrote:
Jovankat wrote:
remi wrote:I thought there was already a thread on people bitching and complaining about headdresses..

As a very wise man once said to me, "So fucking what?"

To be rude and on point, why don't you two get a fuckin' room and stop annoying the rest of us by talking about stuff that was heavily talked about a month ago. It would be like me starting an argument about the ticket process.

We ended it last page , it was kinda like internet coitis :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Jovankat » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:55 pm

remi wrote:To be rude and on point, why don't you two get a fuckin' room and stop annoying the rest of us by talking about stuff that was heavily talked about a month ago. It would be like me starting an argument about the ticket process.

I'm a bit confused how I missed that, I kinda enjoy this shit.

remi wrote:Usually Trilo would pipe up and put a stop to this non sense.. he must be busy today, or just bored and enjoying some back and forth while eating popcorn.

He's gone camping I think

Seriously though. Sequins?
'STRAYA DAY: Aussie Themed BBQ Party: Tues 2pm to 6pm, The Flamingo Trap 4:15 & D
The official playa meet up for Aussies. Everyone else; come try some delicious Aussie snacks

YOU'RE INVITED TO MY WEDDING!
RSVP here. You may even get fed!
Jovankat

Camp Name: The Flamingo Trap

Postby remi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00 pm

[/quote]
We ended it last page , it was kinda like internet coitis :)[/quote]

That's hot. I think my pissy mood turned into a sexy mood.. I'm gonna need to bring my DUCK FEATHER stuffed pillows to give you guys a good rogering on.

On a separate note.. I notice that feather jewellery such as earing and hair pieces are becoming much more popular within the festival community. I'm guessing that because people are going to bring feathers in regardless of rules, was this choice made so that instead of just denying people the use of feathers (which will then encourage hiding feathers, which can damage them, which will turn them into moop easier,) to allowing feathers while bringing up the awareness to not only making sure that they are properly secured... but to also raise awareness on all moop and the fact that this is a "leave no trace" event. After last years influx of MOOP, I can see how reintegrating a system to teach people the importance of securing your own moop would be a good idea.

I like this.. but I guess to see how effective it is, we'll have to wait for post burn. Fingers crossed people aren't fuckin stupid. (I know.. that's asking a lot.)

Sequins: I think they're still band from the event.. so I don't really have any thought on sequins other then I have never considered using them for an outfit. I can see how since these are generally cheap, they're put together cheaply and harder to prevent from becoming moop.. but that's just my uneducated, unresearched thoughts on this idea that I have no prior knowledge on. (That was a lame disclaimer.)
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby kittyrodriguez » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:25 pm

remi wrote:
Sequins: I think they're still band from the event.. so I don't really have any thought on sequins other then I have never considered using them for an outfit. I can see how since these are generally cheap, they're put together cheaply and harder to prevent from becoming moop.. but that's just my uneducated, unresearched thoughts on this idea that I have no prior knowledge on. (That was a lame disclaimer.)

I think the use of the sequins should be a determining factor. An entire sequin dress= bad. Individual sequins sewn onto a garment with purpose= ok. A hand sewn sequin is no different than a small button or hook. If it is attached correctly it does not present much of a threat. The problem with entirely sequin garments is that they are often strings of sequins attached at intervals. Just like a beaded necklace, when the thread breaks, thousands of sequins go flying.

I plan to sew sequins on to a skirt to help mimic the appearance of flames. They will be spread out and sewn on individually. Just like buttons. And perhaps a bit of paint or glue to reinforce. No MOOP!
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby Jovankat » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Yes this is what I was wondering! I think like feathers sequins could go either way depending on the quality of the craftsmanship.
'STRAYA DAY: Aussie Themed BBQ Party: Tues 2pm to 6pm, The Flamingo Trap 4:15 & D
The official playa meet up for Aussies. Everyone else; come try some delicious Aussie snacks

YOU'RE INVITED TO MY WEDDING!
RSVP here. You may even get fed!
Jovankat

Camp Name: The Flamingo Trap

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Use old CDs for sequins and rivet them on for a nice fish scale effect.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:19 pm

If you hand sew your sequins, putting a seed bead on each one, you should be okay. If you're a decent seamter/ess.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Like feathered goods, sequined items which are mass produced are likely to shed, pull one thread and the whole thing is MOOP. I have sequined items I have sewn myself, and those stay put because I sew a bead into the middle of each one. Still, I tend not to bring them because they're a bitch to clean. Small beaded items fall into the same category, and coins on hip scarves. I pluck up fallen dance coins every year. And stuff tiny pompoms or googly eyes which have been hot glued onto bikes, backpacks or parasols. Hot glue does not hold up well out there, except to some fabrics.

I just dislike feathered items in general. Never cared for the look outside a few plumes or hatband feathers.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:01 am

You mean I shouldn't bring my tar and beanbag-chair-filler costume in the shape of some ethnic group's sacred cow costume apparel?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:27 am

Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I recently caught a couple reruns of "F Troop" on TV. Holy shit, I used to think that was funny when I was little. Wow, so awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4BvF_sb3Y
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:22 pm

BBadger wrote:You mean I shouldn't bring my tar and beanbag-chair-filler costume in the shape of some ethnic group's sacred cow costume apparel?

Not if you want to perform at Center Camp.

Well, there is an exception if you demonstrate the MOOPing technique of rolling around tar outward.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby pink » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:01 am

I was picking up sequins AND feather bits all week last year. Ugh. The problem with saying "oh, feathers are ok IF...." Is that most people don't hear the IF. Got that from an asshole in our camp as I was giving him the MOOP nazi drill for wearing feathered wings with maribou trim. Probably had sequins on the damn things too.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 pm

pink wrote:I was picking up sequins AND feather bits all week last year. Ugh. The problem with saying "oh, feathers are ok IF...." Is that most people don't hear the IF. Got that from an asshole in our camp as I was giving him the MOOP nazi drill for wearing feathered wings with maribou trim. Probably had sequins on the damn things too.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Apparently the non-profit believes in treating us like grown ups. Bleeding-heart somethings.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:10 pm

AntiM wrote:Like feathered goods, sequined items which are mass produced are likely to shed, pull one thread and the whole thing is MOOP. I have sequined items I have sewn myself, and those stay put because I sew a bead into the middle of each one.

Same. Items that I have hand-sequinned myself are very strong (cold jewel glue, stitching, or both) and I have worn them in good conscience. I won't do it for shoes; the fabric is not porous enough.

I will also wear coins on a metal belt whose temperament I know (well made belts are very strong; you can bash 'em against a wall) but I avoid those $15-20 hip scarves on which the coins are sewn on. The workmanship on the latter are usually awful.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Anytime you see someone walking into camp wearing something that looks particularly MOOPy, rather than getting into some kind of adversarial/argumentative debate on whether they should be allowed or whether other people should ban them from bringing something like that to the playa... just invite them to spend a few minutes helping you to MOOP the space at some point. Especially if, as you say, you're picking up that kind of stuff all throughout the week, your point should be well made as they see exactly what kind of stuff has to get picked up all throughout the week. If they play ball and seem to get it, you can smile and thank them and offer them an additional drink or something as a thank you for seeing your perspective... and if they get all snooty and jerky and uncooperative, then you can provide that same level of service and kindness back to them as you ask them to move along.

I think it's all about personal responsibility, and respecting both the playa and the camp or installation you're spending time in.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby FeedMeBeats » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:17 am

always has to be something for people to complain about
If Kanye West and Kim Kardashian were both on fire, what sort of sandwich would you make?

http://www.festivalfanatics.com
FeedMeBeats

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: no

Postby goathead » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:26 am

I feel the same way about dj line ups, the new moop
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Watching ThunderDome for 5 minutes when a hottie couple pushes thru the crowd and in front of me. Karma is a funny thing, and as he moves in front of me his full blown headdress is right in my face. Hilarious. Even the gods get snarky with me.

The dude turns to me all serious after I shove his feathers out of my face, and asks "Are you okay?" I tell him, "Yeah, I'm fine, better than you, I'm not shoving feathers in anyone's face." I go back to enjoying the show as they leave, but can hear him still babbling on about not wanting to mess up his $500 coat or it would be on. The quality of burner seems to be slipping......

There is one way to make sure feathers stay adhered and do not become moop, and that is IN THE DOME !!!!!!
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby 666isMONEY » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:28 pm

haven't gone through the bag of moop i picked up on the playa this year (included two full cans of beer, which I drank) but there were a lot of feathers, so many (probably due to lifting the ban) that I vowed not to pick up any more . . . won't pick up toilet tissue either.
666isMONEY

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:35 pm

666isMONEY wrote:haven't gone through the bag of moop i picked up on the playa this year (included two full cans of beer, which I drank) but there were a lot of feathers, so many (probably due to lifting the ban) that I vowed not to pick up any more . . . won't pick up toilet tissue either.

I also saw and picked up many a feather this year. Far more than I picked up in the past (can't really recall picking up many in the past). Perhaps you're onto something with NOT picking up moopy feathers. Maybe the org will reinstate the ban if things get bad enough.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby pink » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:22 pm

One of my campmates was at the Embrace burn & a sparkle pony near her had a cheap Indian headdress. During the burn, a feather flew off. Campmate gets girl's attention & tells her she lost a feather. Shrug, "it happens". Campmate informs her that she should pick up said feather & put it in her backpack, it's MOOP. Girl gives her a look and ignores her.

So much for informing in a polite, informative manner. Didn't work too well for me either. Did see a lot of feather MOOP flying across the playa, & even managed to catch some & get it in my MOOP bag.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby danibel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:33 pm

MacGlenver wrote:
666isMONEY wrote:haven't gone through the bag of moop i picked up on the playa this year (included two full cans of beer, which I drank) but there were a lot of feathers, so many (probably due to lifting the ban) that I vowed not to pick up any more . . . won't pick up toilet tissue either.

I also saw and picked up many a feather this year. Far more than I picked up in the past (can't really recall picking up many in the past). Perhaps you're onto something with NOT picking up moopy feathers. Maybe the org will reinstate the ban if things get bad enough.

I picked up feathers every day, until Sunday, then I stopped. I figure if the resto crew finds them maybe the ban will be considered again. I called out "playa chicken" every time I saw feathers on people. One girl even had the balls to turn her bike around and ride past me glaring. Oh brother.

I didn't see any feathers in the center camp bike racks that I mooped for an hour on Monday. Mostly bike decorations, zip ties, and wood.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Fan C » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:16 pm

When mooping our site on monday morning half of what we picked up was feathers that had blown in our AO. Other than a thrashed mountain bike feathers were the only moop found in our camp not generated by our camp.
Fan C

Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Postby DrYes » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:30 pm

My nemesis at Burning Man this year was a little black feather. It blew by me one afternoon (one of those soft, really light downy feathers) and chased it down 3/4 of a block. Finally nailed it and put it in my backpack. 10 minutes later, it managed to weasel its way out again and I chased it down again. Then back at camp, as I was getting something else out, it escaped again! This time, I wasn't taking any chances and locked it safely in a tupperware box inside the tent. I was going to go tape it to the Temple or the Man so that my nemesis would be slowly consumed by fire, but was afraid it would just find another way to escape justice. It was also at that moment I decided to take all the feathers off the vest I'd made. Mine were more of the large pheasant variety so are much less likely to moop, but decided it wasn't worth it.
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:56 pm

almost had a little civil war over feathers before leaving

my wife was crafting some pretty neat stuff and feathers were included

i had to speak my piece - i was not in favor of them

but she assured me that she would secure them well and at first sign of moop she would bag it

on saturday, she was doing some final stitching and cut through a feather and one of the beads holding it on.

it started to moop and she did as she said and bagged it.

it was sorta sad because she had made a really cool bra-garment thing and if not for that stray clip of the scissors she probably would have pulled it off

but, i was also relieved! :mrgreen:
forty_eight

Postby tatonka » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:06 pm

mine worked perfect again this year . Used clr tape on each side of feather and trimmed excess off. Feather is preserved and cannot moop , 2 years so far anyway.

winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:29 pm

I've got to say that we had less feather MOOP blowing through our camp this year than in any of the years where feathers were banned.

Unfortunately we had more shitty expended glow stick waste MOOP - I think a camp down the street must have been gifting out those shitty glowstick bracelets, and as people left them they ditched their trash on one of the curio carts or while sitting on the ziggurat.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy