So why do you volunteer for the BMorg?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: So why do you volunteer for the BMorg?

Postby Rice » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:56 am

Eric wrote:
Jovankat wrote:OH! Well that's ok then. I thought you were just stupid :P

That's covered by being American.

Stupidity is not exclusive to Americans! I suspect every country has their percentage of stupid.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Ratty » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:20 am

If I could go I would have volunteered. Too much stuff this week-end. Are you going? volunteering?
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby Rice » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:27 am

Jovankat wrote:They are fun, American Boyfriend and I play fight over word pronunciations all the time. We've had entire Skype conversations that pretty much just involve us saying words back and forth in our own accents while trying to keep a straight face. After a few rounds of ban-air-na/ban-ah-na they both sounds silly.

{Snicker}

My American girlfriend and I have similar discussions. She is a linguist, which makes life interesting - since she seems to pick up local dialects after a few hours.

[ramble on fractions and distance conversion]
Question, if base 12 is so awesome - why is it easier to work out 1/10 of a Kilometer vs 1/10 of a Mi2le?? Sure, I can figure it out eventually - I stopped learning the Imperial measurement system when I was 8. So, if there are about 1.6 Kilometers in a mile and a kilometer is 1000 meters - thats 1600 meters, there are about 3.3 feet in a meter so thats about 5280 feet (wait, that seems wrong?) anyhow, 1/10 of a mile (based on my conversions and approximations) is 528 feet. he now quickly goes to Mr.Google and gets a few different answers so, if the interwebs is right 1/10 of a mile is 528 feet? {huh, how in the heck did I get that right?} In Metric 1/10 of a Kilometer is 100 Meters - no calculator required. I guess I find the fractions of Metric easier than the Imperial fractions, primarily due to my minimal of knowledge on the imperial system.
[/ramble on fractions and distance conversion]
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:47 am

So, if I'm reading this right, our descendants will evolve to have two more fingers. The really smart ones will develop to have opposible thumbs on the other side of their hands!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Well shit... there's that "We believe hold these truths to be self evident" crap in the Declaration Of Independence...

That's only because "truthiness" didn't exist yet. "We hold this truthiness to be self evident"
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:22 pm

oops
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby mgb327 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:39 pm

For a moment there I thought you said "toothiness".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby BBadger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Rice wrote:Question, if base 12 is so awesome - why is it easier to work out 1/10 of a Kilometer vs 1/10 of a Mi2le?? Sure, I can figure it out eventually - I stopped learning the Imperial measurement system when I was 8.

Well that's because when the "mile" was chosen, there were over 9000 different "miles" to choose from. Every barn in every village had a different "mile". It's not base 12, it's base... I don't know. It's divisible by 12, but only once, which gives you 440, and that... oh hell, I don't know, the Brits picked a weird one for sure. It should probably be 5040 ft, so that it is also a superior highly composite number, though 5280 actually has quite a few factors compared to 1000 (46 compared to 16). That doesn't gain it too much though. Usually at those large distance/numbers it is more useful to use a smaller base and work from that. For example, it's more useful to use 360 degrees on a circle than a bunch of fractions because you want precision. So perhaps keep the best of both worlds and use 60 as a base and make the next larger unit 60x60 = 3600 and so forth. To me it's a "few blocks" or a long distance, because who really bothers converting between a distances like a mile and a foot? Even kilometer and meters, their uses are often in different domains.

We should label the "mile" an abomination too. That "240" can be the heretical "s" on the "math"-5040 number of units of measure.

I guess I find the fractions of Metric easier than the Imperial fractions, primarily due to my minimal of knowledge on the imperial system.
[/ramble on fractions and distance conversion]

Also, being Canadian, you should feel lucky to not be exposed to all those other weird-ass units the British introduced. "Stones" being 14 pounds? Who the hell chooses something based on the number 14? Its just as bad as 10, but at least 10 is the number of fingers on our hands. "Hundredweight" in the British system being 112lbs instead of 100lbs in the states (as if we even use that anyway).

Many of the US customary/Imperial units are the way they are because of how they're used. Whereas you need a graduated container for measuring out milliliters, cups, quarts, etc. are just large-number fractions of units such as the gallon. It makes it easier to break down quantities for stuff like recipes when there isn't access to higher resolution measuring equipment.

The Europeans also get shortchanged on soft drinks by hiding the reduced amount in the ml measurement. Their drinks are 330ml, whereas in the states, the standard is 12 oz -- 355ml. It's harder to reduce that amount (unlike other things like candybar weights) without notice. Despite the reduced amount of product, it always costs more for such drinks in Europe.

Rice wrote:Stupidity is not exclusive to Americans! I suspect every country has their percentage of stupid.

I certainly believe that! It's becoming that way with obesity too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:27 pm

BBadger wrote:For example, it's more useful to use 360 degrees on a circle than a bunch of fractions because you want precision.

I've always thought a circle would be much more functional if it were 100 degrees around - the numbers just become easier, no fractions need. Half a circle? 50 degrees. Quarter of a circle? 25 degrees. Hell, you could get rid of "90 degree left" & "90 degree right" angles - it would be a 25 degree angle or a 75 degree angle - the degree tells you which way, without needing another explanation. Simplicity itself.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Eric wrote:
BBadger wrote:For example, it's more useful to use 360 degrees on a circle than a bunch of fractions because you want precision.

I've always thought a circle would be much more functional if it were 100 degrees around - the numbers just become easier, no fractions need. Half a circle? 50 degrees. Quarter of a circle? 25 degrees. Hell, you could get rid of "90 degree left" & "90 degree right" angles - it would be a 25 degree angle or a 75 degree angle - the degree tells you which way, without needing another explanation. Simplicity itself.

How many of us remember Floating World?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Eric wrote:I've always thought a circle would be much more functional if it were 100 degrees around - the numbers just become easier, no fractions need. Half a circle? 50 degrees. Quarter of a circle? 25 degrees. Hell, you could get rid of "90 degree left" & "90 degree right" angles - it would be a 25 degree angle or a 75 degree angle - the degree tells you which way, without needing another explanation. Simplicity itself.

While we're at it, we'll put 0 degrees on the top, like North on a compass, or 00:00 on a clock. Then we'll rotate the X and Y axises so that X now extends "Northward" and Y extends Westward so that we can keep sine/cosine computing correctly.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:48 pm

We could also rearrange the clocks to start at 2 and end at 10.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:We could also rearrange the clocks to start at 2 and end at 10.

Sorta like a pendulum? LOVE IT. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Postby The_Sheik » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Could be worse-try calculating angles in mils: 360 degrees=6400 mills and 1 radian is equal to 1018.59163579 mil.
KE5QOT
The_Sheik

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD sub-Camp 3 "The 'Burbs"

Postby CaffeineGirl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:26 pm

As I understand it, the origin of the mile was 1,000 paces by Roman soldiers. Took more than a few centuries later to standardize that.

And the width of railroad tracks goes back to the butt width of a 2 horse team.

I think most measurements somehow go back to body parts. Must be the size variation that led to all the various systems.
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby Rice » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:58 am

TexasRick wrote:Could be worse-try calculating angles in mils: 360 degrees=6400 mills and 1 radian is equal to 1018.59163579 mil.

Ugh - Radians... It is amazing how much more complicated angle measurement is on a computer vs say a scientific calculator!! The only programming challenge I ever almost quit was writing a program for Dynamic Balancing of Turbines. Getting freaking accurate conversions to/from degrees to radians was a giant PIA. (ok, I am talking mid-80's computers and software, but still - ouch :)

All of the metric conversions are hinging on the base 10 calculation: 1 meter has 100 centimeters, there are 1000 meters in a Kilometer - therefore there are 100,000 centimeters in a Kilometer. Road signs have both meters and kilometers on them (1.5 kilometers to Climax; 500 meters until the Preston exit; speed-trap in 300 meters,etc)

It is another rainy, coolish day here. No real complaints, it isn't -40 - the roads are not icy.

I hope that all the fathers out there have a nice relaxing day. Fatherhood is (or should be) more than that initial spark that started life. We are here to guide and support our children. Help them when we can, watch them fall when we should. Sometimes all we can do is show our kids we love them, no matter how badly they screw up. As a guy who did the single parent thing with two teenage boys, all I can say is "no one died" - they are now self-reliant, capable adults who enjoy life.

The Man burns in 76 days {eep}
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Joeln » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Rice wrote:I hope that all the fathers out there have a nice relaxing day. Fatherhood is (or should be) more than that initial spark that started life. We are here to guide and support our children. Help them when we can, watch them fall when we should. Sometimes all we can do is show our kids we love them, no matter how badly they screw up. As a guy who did the single parent thing with two teenage boys, all I can say is "no one died" - they are now self-reliant, capable adults who enjoy life.

Well said Rice!

My daughter is 12, I just separated from her Mom in January. So far so good but there are several things you say above that I hope I can remember when things get tough.
Today has been about the relationship, taking her to the amusement park, a movie...

Relaxing - I'm not so sure, but certainly worth it.
-Joel
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby BBadger » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Rice wrote:Ugh - Radians... It is amazing how much more complicated angle measurement is on a computer vs say a scientific calculator!! The only programming challenge I ever almost quit was writing a program for Dynamic Balancing of Turbines. Getting freaking accurate conversions to/from degrees to radians was a giant PIA. (ok, I am talking mid-80's computers and software, but still - ouch :)

I remember seeing some extrusions that were being sold, and the maker had the "brilliant" that instead of measuring angles using radians, he would use "tau" as the unit instead of 2pi. So instead of 180 degrees being pi, you'd get 180 degrees = 1/2 tau. What the guy completely missed was the fact that nobody measures angles on extrusions using radians, not because there's a 2pi in there, but because people are using degrees. People want additive angle units for that kind of work, not something where you have to find common denominators to add angles.

What was the original topic of this thread about? I can't remember.

BBadger

Postby VultureChow » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:07 am

Tau is sooooo freaking trendy right now in math circles. Once Pi Day went mainstream, they had to find something to set themselves apart.

It has elegance in some situations but not in others and frankly will never catch on.

Personally I celebrate i Day. It never seems to come around, though.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby aserendipity » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 am

Love that message vc

and maybe it is every day with burners
aserendipity

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Apple has iDay all sewn up, however.

*dashes off to pay her royalties*
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:13 am

TexasRick wrote:Could be worse-try calculating angles in mils: 360 degrees=6400 mills and 1 radian is equal to 1018.59163579 mil.

only useful thing about mils is artillery ranging...something 6ft tall shows 2 mils in the scope, it is 3000 ft away; 100ft tall, 4mils, 25000ft away
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Jovankat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:47 am

I'm a little behind...

Eric wrote:
Jovankat wrote:Well I'm having fun in this thread because of Bbadger so I'm not sure what that means...

It means you're not the average bear*

[a reference from "Yogi Bear", an American cartoon]

I'm more of a Boo Boo ;)

BBadger, first up you're still trying to pass the issue with maths off as intelligibility when clearly it simply one of taste. I see right though you meat faced man.

Secondly if you're going to talk about uniformity, especially in the US, you should really start with what you people call carbonated sugary drinks. Is it soda? Pop? Soft drink? Or various types of Coke? Maybe try working that one out amongst yourselves before you start in on us. Also our cans are 375ml :P

And thirdly a base-60 system sounds wonderful, the more factors a number has the more I like it. Sign me up!

And finally if you're going to call us Australians out on anything surely it should be our constant need to shorten EVERYTHING. Postman becomes postie, bottle shop is bottlo, afternoon becomes arvo, barbecue becomes barbie, McDonalds becomes Maccas... Although it is rather efficient.
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Roundabout » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:20 am

Jovankat wrote:
bottle shop is bottlo.

Really, you have shops that sell bottles? Is there much demand for that?
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs
Roundabout

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Roundabout wrote:
Jovankat wrote:
bottle shop is bottlo.

Really, you have shops that sell bottles? Is there much demand for that?

Beat me to it. That's what I get for sleeping until almost noon.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Coming to a network near you: Blotto at the Bottlo.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Jovankat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Oh right, we call liquor stores bottles shops. Then we shorten that to bottlo
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby BBadger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Jovankat wrote:Secondly if you're going to talk about uniformity, especially in the US, you should really start with what you people call carbonated sugary drinks. Is it soda? Pop? Soft drink? Or various types of Coke? Maybe try working that one out amongst yourselves before you start in on us. Also our cans are 375ml :P

But those are synonyms. Also, I wasn't talking about uniformity, because that would imply that there are different choices that could be valid and that you just want to choose one for efficiency sakes. No, I'm declaring/affirming that "maths" is just outright wrong.

Oh another Britishism that needs to go: "hots up" instead of "heats up."

BBadger

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 pm

BBadger wrote:
Oh another Britishism that needs to go: "hots up" instead of "heats up."

BBadger, we have to agree we disagree on this one. :mrgreen:

Hots Up is what Barbie does in the dressing room at Fredricks of Hollywood.
Heats Up is what happens under Kens kilt when he sees the end effect.

Or something like that... :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Postby aserendipity » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:26 pm

when confounded move on to sex.?
but GC, they were discussing patriotic beliefs
aserendipity

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy