Teachers -Left out in the cold

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Teachers -Left out in the cold

Postby beatsnotbombs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:27 pm

I am curious if this topic has ever come up before in the community. I am a teacher of 7 years who has miraculously made it to the burn twice. As I as sure many people do, I had to do some pretty elaborate schedule rearranging and storytelling to make the burn.

If you aren't aware, schools usually begin before or on the week of burning man. This has happened to me while teaching in California, South Carolina, Montana and now in North Carolina. I teach kindergarten. The first few weeks are vital for the rest of the year. In most grades this is true to some extent. My experiences at the burn have been invaluable in teaching me the true nature of humans. It has opened my heart and mind to best accept and love each child who comes in my room for who THEY are. I wish every teacher could be schooled on the principles of Burning Man.

My questions:
Does it effect our community to have one group (teachers) un(der)represented at the burn?
Could teachers being part of Burning Man allow for a massive ripple effect of burner principles?
What advice would you give someone whose lively hood and true calling needed them during the burn? How would you decide?
Are there other groups that are left out?

Yours Truly,
Got tickets, guilty conscious.
beatsnotbombs

Re: Teachers -Left out in the cold

Postby Sham » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:42 pm

This is the same issue that many college students have. They don't want to miss their first week of school. Some can juggle and some can't. I think if you're suggesting that the event take place on a different date, that's not going to happen. It always has ended on Labor Day. It would be like trying to change the date of Christmas, because it was too close to New Years.
Sham

Postby VultureChow » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:49 pm

School starts around here after Labor Day.

Lots of groups can have an easier/harder time attending. Coming from the east coast is harder than coming from the west coast. Based on the intro threads, I think there might be more people from Australia than east of the Mississippi. College students, parents, the poor. All at a disadvantage when it comes to getting to go.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:50 pm

attend regional events usually held during the 2 1/2 months teachers have off. Become active in your local group
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby trilobyte » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Speaking personally, this an old gripe (or whine, depending on the tone), made by both teachers and students. No offense, but get over it. Lots of people aren't able to make it to Burning Man. They'll be okay, and so will Burning Man.

What might really hurt your head to ponder... did Burning Man get to be what it is today because of the perceived under-representation of teachers and students? Had there been a significant change in the educator slice of the demographic, would the event have evolved differently? Would it be better, or would it be worse? That's subjective, and everyone's got their own opinions... but it's something to consider.

You may also want to consider the wide range (and locations) of regional burns and events that happen all throughout the year, all over the world If labor day week doesn't work, then dive into another event. Or several. The principles of Burning Man are not exclusive to Black Rock City.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:10 pm

One little rat bastard student found a picture of his teacher at burning Man.. She was out having fun and had let her booby's out to play.. The student showed it around on U tube and she lost her job..
unjonharley

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 pm

beatsnotbombs wrote:My questions:
Does it effect our community to have one group (teachers) un(der)represented at the burn?

Probably not, unless you could show that there are significant numbers of teachers who have their efforts to visit BM stymied by the school year, or that there were a tangible benefit/problem caused by them attending.

Oh, and please teach your children the difference between "effect" and "affect". :wink:

Could teachers being part of Burning Man allow for a massive ripple effect of burner principles?

Doubtful, or at least not much more than anyone who attends the event. Anyway, the "principles" are not what Burning Man is about anymore than walls of a house defining what is inside. What BM is about is what you get out of the event.

You also don't need BM, or to attend BM, to teach principles to others -- nor are they always meaningful outside the event (e.g. decommodification) unless it becomes important to you. It's often the case that the people who attended the event are already in the "mode of thinking" that is typically associated with people who burn, and the burn is merely an expression of that person's thinking.

What advice would you give someone whose lively hood and true calling needed them during the burn? How would you decide?

The event was purposely scheduled around the end of August in order to weed out students who have their first week of school at the same time. Part of this is to keep out a large segment of immature college students from crashing the event. This is a grown-up festival.

Likewise, I think you should grow up.

Ever consider that if teaching is really your "true calling" that attending the burn isn't so important? Or maybe that teaching really isn't your true calling, but you just enjoy it for other reasons (schedule, pay, kids, etc.)? Or maybe that you're abandoning your charges out of some selfish desire to go on a vacation during a critical time of year?

I'm going to change my answer to your first question: perhaps it's a good sign that kindergarten teachers are underrepresented at Burning Man. They ought to be teaching kids during that time. The ones who are skipping class to party out are probably undermining our childrens' education.

And as for you...

We see these kinds of posts all the time: people describing these unreasonable hardship, sacrifices and choices they are enduring just to attend the burn. It's like we're supposed to admire people for sacrificing their food budget, education, careers, family life, and life-possessions just to attend some week-long vacation-festival in the desert.

No. Get your shit together. We're not going to help you rationalize your selfish decision. You're not making a once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca. You're going on a vacation during the school year -- time that you should be in class teaching children. You've already attended twice too!

Grow up. If this is too much for you, please find a different profession. This is not your "true calling". We don't need hippie kindergarten teachers neglecting their charges.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:14 am

beatsnotbombs wrote:My questions:

Hi, teacher... I'm a Responsible Adult. I go to the big party in the desert when time, other responsibilities, and disposable income permit. When they don't, I don't go. How about you teach that to the kids?

Are crane truck operators properly represented at the burn? Could we cause a massive ripple effect on the principles of Burning Man? Probably more so than kindergarten teachers. How do you think those big art pieces get out there?

Good god get over yourself.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby shroom » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:43 am

I understand the OP issue, school starts here in Georgia between the last week in July to the week the burn starts depending on the district. I came in 2010 during my first semester back in college. Also coming from the East side of the country I have to take more time off just for travel.

All that being said, if you are determined to get to the burn you will find a way.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby 5280MeV » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:35 am

In many ways the regionals are poor substitutes for the big burn. However, it is my experience that if you take the time, effort, and $1000+ you would spend on ticket and transportation to Burning Man on an interesting project for the regional event, you won't even notice the difference.

I also recommend quitting teaching. I did and it was fantastic. I love working in the classroom but cannot stand how teachers are treated. I will happily go back for six figures.
5280MeV

Postby Elliot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 am

If I were to analyze and respond to the question, I would probably use less harsh language. I would also give more credit to BM as a potentially trend-shaping force for the better in society. But then, I'm an idealist.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby lucky420 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 am

You're also a sweetheart ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Token » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:53 am

unjonharley wrote:One little rat bastard student found a picture of his teacher at burning Man.. She was out having fun and had let her booby's out to play.. The student showed it around on U tube and she lost her job..

That there would have helped me a great deal with all the "wet dreams" of my teachers boobies in pubescent years.

Yes, it is a great disservice that more breast is not liberated on the education system.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby *Kat* » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Yeah, it sucks. But it won't change and many people can't go for so many different reasons. Ultimately, at least for me personally, what I do all year round is more important than what I do during one week of the year.

So how DID you manage to go two times? I got to get prepared for when I graduate and need to make up excuses myself. :mrgreen:
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 pm

BBadger wrote: What BM is about is what you get out of the event...

...You're not making a once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca. You're going on a vacation during the school year -- time that you should be in class teaching children...

Well damn. Way to acknowledge that what BM is about is you get out of the event and then proceed to tell someone what their burn is and isn't. You don't know that someones trip to BM is or isn't the equivalent of a trip to mecca rather than just some decadent vacation over labor day weekend. I can tell you that my burn is pretty damn important in the scheme of my life, like maybe Mecca to a Muslim...

BBadger wrote:perhaps it's a good sign that kindergarten teachers are underrepresented at Burning Man. They ought to be teaching kids during that time. The ones who are skipping class to party out are probably undermining our childrens' education...

...Grow up. If this is too much for you, please find a different profession. This is not your "true calling". We don't need hippie kindergarten teachers neglecting their charges.

Considering the levels of fucked up that is our nations public education system, maybe we do need hippie kindergarten teachers neglecting their charges. Our children's 'education' is undermined by so much crap I cannot actually believe you use that as justification for your argument that teachers shouldn't go to BM.

My girlfriend has a masters degree in education, we're hippies and I cannot wait for your children's 'education' to be undermined once she gets a job and takes her first week off of work. Well, actually I can and so can she, which is why she is waiting at least a year or two before getting a job in a classroom. So I kind of have to agree with some of your post. If you can't balance work and play sometimes you have to choose between one and the other.

But, maybe children should also learn about the world outside of the classroom. Outside all the other bullshit that they use 'education' convince us is so damn important. Maybe children should also be learning that maybe, it might just be OK to choose play instead of work. That all this importance our society places on working to prove your worth is actually bullshit.

Burning Man is a huge piece for me as far as un-learning a bunch of useless social and societal garbage I had forced down my throat in the name of Education.

And responsible adult? What the fuck is one of those anyways?
Shut the Fuck Up and Go To Burning Man.
A-RockLeFrench

Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:47 pm

I bet there's a real slice of people who cannot ask for a week off at work, but can ask for a week before Labor Day... Seems counter-intuitive, but possible. And the previous 3 day weekend (Memorial Day) would be impossible on playa, and the off-and-on 3 day weekend, 4th of July, is again too early to be sure that the playa is dried out. At some point you just gotta pick a date and stick with it. Someone's always going to be left out. More so now that the event sells out.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tamarakay » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:55 pm

I feel a bit sad for the innocent souls who wander in here thinking they have at last found kindred souls then BLAMMO, sucker punched.

Yes, I think we lose something with that demographic missing the burn. But then my daughter doesn't get to go for the next few years for this very reason. However when she does get to go, it will be that much sweeter for her and those she connects with.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby *Kat* » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:02 am

Gosh, thanks A-RockLeFrench and Tamara. I was going to reply to that first but I was so furious after reading that I decided to just let it slide. I have actually dragged out my studies a little longer than I'd have had to partially because it would give me the opportunity to return to the play one or two more times...

How about we turn this thread into something constructive and put our resources together to find out HOW teachers manage to get time off for BM. What's your story?

For starters, there is the Black Rock Educators Consortium (BREC). https://www.facebook.com/BlackRockEducatorsConsortium
But I am not sure what they do and if they are still active. Maybe the way to go is to actually organize a few workshops on the playa so we can justify going?
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:06 am

I'll start with a short introduction of myself, maybe you can do the same so we can see which resources we've already got:

My background:
I originally studied Geology and Paleontology. During my studies I did volunteer work at different museums, creating one day projects for kids on topics like fossils, dinosaurs, volcanoes, ice age, climate change, plate tectonics, ocean dynamics etc.
I am currently working on my graduating thesis to get a degree in:
- elementary school education (grade 1-4, subjects: German (as a native language), English (as a second language), Mathematics, Science, & Art)
- secondary school education (grade 1-9, subjects: German (as a native language), English (as a second language))
Our elementary school system is different in Germany. We stay with the kids from when they start school (grade 1 here) to when they finish (grade 4). This gives us the opportunity of developing spiral curriculums over many years.
I have a strong background in both science and humanities. Currently my interest is drifting towards methods of open learning, cooperative learning and individualization of learning. There is a lot of psychology and neuroscience in there, it's kind of difficult to sum it up but a very well known keyword would be Montessori education (though that is just a part of it).

What I could contribute on the playa:
My graduating thesis is a lesson plan on animals (on camouflage, warning colors, mimicry). It's 50% theory (didactics, psychology, etc.) and 50% practical (working material). It's targeted at mixed age groups (grade 1-4). It also combines different subjects to a point where you cannot separate one subject from the other (project-based learning). However, it's possible to take individual parts and teach them in a more traditional way (but no frontal or teacher-centered instruction). I'd happily share my background and material with you on the playa and hear what you think of it.

What I'd like to learn:
I'd like to hear about new approaches to teaching that are currently discussed in your school system.
I'd like to learn how YOU teach learning to read and write.
And, of course, I'd like to hear your tips, tricks, approaches and stories from the classroom.

How I made it to the playa in the past:
No big deal, Burning Man happens to conveniently fall right into the middle of my semester holidays. I even get credit for being in an English-speaking country. I have no idea what I'll do once I teach full time. I'll probably end up at a private school sooner or later anyway and hope they'll cut me some slack. More likely, I won't be able to go for a long time...
*Kat*

Postby BBadger » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:33 am

A-RockLeFrench wrote:
BBadger wrote: What BM is about is what you get out of the event...

...You're not making a once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca. You're going on a vacation during the school year -- time that you should be in class teaching children...

Well damn. Way to acknowledge that what BM is about is you get out of the event and then proceed to tell someone what their burn is and isn't. You don't know that someones trip to BM is or isn't the equivalent of a trip to mecca rather than just some decadent vacation over labor day weekend. I can tell you that my burn is pretty damn important in the scheme of my life, like maybe Mecca to a Muslim...

No, I'm going to state the correct fact that visiting Burning Man is not equivalent or even analogous to a once-in-a-lifetime religious pilgrimage for a Muslim. This is not least of all because the Hajj is one of the five pillars of a religion, and Burning Man is explicitly an art festival. You can personally get whatever you want out of each, but it's not going to change the fundamental nature of either.

Considering the levels of fucked up that is our nations public education system, maybe we do need hippie kindergarten teachers neglecting their charges. Our children's 'education' is undermined by so much crap I cannot actually believe you use that as justification for your argument that teachers shouldn't go to BM.

Let me get this straight: 1) you think a fucked up education system would perhaps benefit from teachers neglecting their duties to their students, and 2) that because the system is already undermined, that you can't believe that someone would expect teachers to be at their jobs to teach students during the school year when they're supposed to, rather than going to some festival like Burning Man.

Going to Burning Man while Rome burns. Hippie-think at its finest.

Perhaps the only benefit would be to isolate some of the disease in the education system (to be clear: the hippie-teachers skipping school to attend some festival) to have it excised.

My girlfriend has a masters degree in education, we're hippies and I cannot wait for your children's 'education' to be undermined once she gets a job and takes her first week off of work.

Another example of why hippies are the salt of the earth.

If your girlfriend is pulling shit like described above, she needs to be fired.

Well, actually I can and so can she, which is why she is waiting at least a year or two before getting a job in a classroom. So I kind of have to agree with some of your post. If you can't balance work and play sometimes you have to choose between one and the other.

So the hippie-cancer hasn't fully metastasized? Perhaps there is hope yet.

But, maybe children should also learn about the world outside of the classroom. Outside all the other bullshit that they use 'education' convince us is so damn important. Maybe children should also be learning that maybe, it might just be OK to choose play instead of work. That all this importance our society places on working to prove your worth is actually bullshit.

Spare us your platitudes. The point is that if someone is going to be a teacher, he/she is expect to be in the classroom teaching during the school year except maybe when sick or an emergency (no, Burning Man is not an emergency). That's what teachers are employed to do. If that is too much to handle, find a different profession. FULL STOP.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:14 am

It's a lot simpler than all this psychobabble hippie idealism.
It's an art festival and pretty much a party and vacation.
The people that "contribute" are the ones who put up some art or work to provide the necessary logistics for the event to operate.
Teachers are not the missing link to the completion of the demographic.
Bartenders, amateur or pro-in-the-default-world, are pretty important there.
So is anyone who can raise a lot of cash and/or work their ass off to build and transport cool stuff.
Spare the bullshit.
Captain Goddammit

Postby 5280MeV » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:36 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:It's a lot simpler than all this psychobabble hippie idealism.
It's an art festival and pretty much a party and vacation.
The people that "contribute" are the ones who put up some art or work to provide the necessary logistics for the event to operate.
Teachers are not the missing link to the completion of the demographic.
Bartenders, amateur or pro-in-the-default-world, are pretty important there.
So is anyone who can raise a lot of cash and/or work their ass off to build and transport cool stuff.
Spare the bullshit.

What you do at the event is much more important than going to the event. If you build art for the event, and it isn't too edgy - which most of it really isn't - you can just tell your employer what you did.

When a friend and I built a 16' sculpture of a strawberry on a fork to burn at a regional, the shit hit the fan at work and my advisor told me to cancel my vacation. When I told her what I had been working on and showed her pictures, we negotiated how we would make this work so I could follow through in erecting it on site and coordinate the burn. Most of you guys make much more impressive stuff than I do, and I still lack the resources to transport anything 2000 miles to the playa. So I would expect for many of your projects, you might be able to really wow your supervisor.

I think that if you tell the principal or supervisor what you are making and what it means to you, they might agree to give you the time off and adjust normal procedures.

OTOH, my experience with the US educational system is that teachers are treated as suckers who will give up weekends and personal time at the drop of a hat for a 50+ hour/week job (if you take it seriously) that only pays a starting salary of 35-40k. Everyone tells you how you must love your "calling", which I guess must be true, because if you can manage a classroom well and properly train kids in algebra, you can make a lot more money for a lot less headache elsewhere.
5280MeV

Postby *Kat* » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:39 am

5280MeV, thank you for your constructive feedback.

5280MeV wrote:I think that if you tell the principal or supervisor what you are making and what it means to you, they might agree to give you the time off and adjust normal procedures.

That's why I say: Let's stop the whining and start putting together something constructive. Let's spend part of the time on the playa on broadening our horizon and learning form each other to take home something constructive for our classrooms that justifies taking a week off.

5280MeV wrote:OTOH, my experience with the US educational system is that teachers are treated as suckers who will give up weekends and personal time at the drop of a hat for a 50+ hour/week job (if you take it seriously) that only pays a starting salary of 35-40k. Everyone tells you how you must love your "calling", which I guess must be true, because if you can manage a classroom well and properly train kids in algebra, you can make a lot more money for a lot less headache elsewhere.

That is true not only in the US.

But... Nobody will change the system for you. You got to be the change you want to see. How about we take our own first steps towards a change together?
*Kat*

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:10 am

Great learning experience for teachers: You cannot be two places at once!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby unjonharley » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:39 am

When you leave teachers out in the cold. There nips stand out..

I was asking teacher if she could touch her elbows behind her back in third grade..
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:06 am

Oh BS unjon, you were never in third grade...

It's a fucking camping trip. That's all. A big one with fire and cool stuff, sure. But it's a fucking camping trip.
Captain Goddammit

Postby unjonharley » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Oh BS unjon, you were never in third grade...
Was 2,till I were 16
unjonharley

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:19 pm

I have a friend who is a 3rd grade teacher in SF (FYI Unjon - he has fantastic nipples... got them pierced specifically for me even...). He loves the Burn, but like most that's the first week of his school. He's been able to twice work it out with his principle to go from Weds on (back at work on Tues), by showing how he could bring specific things back to use in his teaching. No, I don't know the specifics, but since he actually chooses to stay in the schools in the poor districts I don't doubt the fact that he is actually finding way to impart it into his teaching.

That said - he knows that he'll only get to go every second or third year, and that attending is a privilege, not a right. He chose to be a teacher, which means the negative parts of that job are part of his life now, just like when I was working in management & couldn't go to the playa in 2008 or '09: I applied for, and accepted, the job knowing that it meant I'd have to make sacrifices in other areas of my life.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:34 pm

BBadger wrote:Blah blah blah

Let me explain my point of view for you.

I'll start with the language of 'facts'. This kind of language that you and others are fond of using is the same kind of language that our education system is built upon. It is the same language that establishments have been using for eons to maintain control. This language forms the foundations of our society of control and culture of violence.

This is the authoritative language that you know what is right and I do not. This is the language that says "Let me define your reality for you, I am more qualified to tell you 'how it is' than you are to decide for yourself." If my point of view differs than yours, I must be undermining the future of our society, a threat that must be dealt with.

Especially when my point of view threatens your assumptions about what other people are supposed to be doing. Teachers are supposed to be doing their job.

A teacher at Burning Man, in their own selfish pursuit of hedonistic bliss is forsaking their responsibilities to our children, their responsibilities to our future as a society and must be told to shut up and go back to work. And furthermore that these idealistic teachers are the disease that needs to be excised from our system of education.

Our system of education where our children are trained to become workers and soldiers instead of thinkers and artists. Yeah, hippies are the problem.

Yeah, totally. I can see where your scathing responses come from. I can understand why you would react in such a way to a conversation about these entitled salt of earth scum undermining your kids future. Thank you, for your community service act of showing up to stifle a conversation with the same rhetoric that is used in so many classrooms to stifle creativity. You've illustrated one of my points perfectly.

However I'm pretty sure that the conversation the OP was initiating wasn't about these horrible teachers you've taken cause against. This is a conversation about the teachers who actually do care enough to make the decision to not go to Burning Man. And when they do go, how does that effect their job and what kind of relationship does their school administration have with teachers going to BM?

Eric wrote: he knows that he'll only get to go every second or third year, and that attending is a privilege, not a right. He chose to be a teacher, which means the negative parts of that job are part of his life now, just like when I was working in management & couldn't go to the playa in 2008 or '09: I applied for, and accepted, the job knowing that it meant I'd have to make sacrifices in other areas of my life.

This is a conversation that people who are involved in the education system and who go to Burning Man are actually pretty serious about having as there are (whether you like it or not) some pretty big implications and effects on 'the system' from educators going to TTID. While to a meatcake and a boat captain it might just be one big-ass cool party in the desert, to others it can be a deeply transformational event, even spiritually. So many boundaries and envelopes are being pushed at Burning Man. My judgement (And I suspect I am not alone in this) is that what people learn and un-learn at BM has the potential to affect the world outside of BM.

What are some things that can come from a conversation like this? Resources for other teachers who are thinking about going to BM. Asking the questions of how can going to BM be framed in way that it becomes something beneficial for a teacher to experience? How can a teacher going to BM benefit students? What things are educators learning about education at BM and what sort of new concepts and ideas are emerging in the areas of interactive, cooperative and individualized learning?

Because as most folks either in the field of education or close to education professionals can tell you, especially here in the U.S. we are in the midst of educational transformation. The flaws of our public schools are becoming more apparent, and as they do we will continue to see the rise of alternative schools, ie: Montessori and Waldorf.

As educators continue to explore alternative ways to teach and as they continue to do that either at BM or integrate the practices and philosophy of BM into their curriculum this conversation will continue, and now it has been brought to teh eplaya.

5280MeV wrote:What you do at the event is much more important than going to the event.

THIS. Some people just party. That's all it is, Just a fucking camping trip. But some people are having their minds blown, perceptions changed and challenged. Learning new ways to interact with others and their reality. Workshops, presentations, new technologies are everywhere. There is so much information at Burning Man that it can be incredibly educational.

Two years ago I camped with a woman who was a college professor, she was in the process of writing a book on BM. For years prior she had run a program that took students from different colleges and brought them to Burning Man, to study Burning Man. There is a conversation about 'what can educators bring back from BM?' and there is also the question of 'how can educators bring education to BM?'

From the Burning Man Project's page:
Education

The Mission of the Educational Program of Burning Man Project is to teach the philosophy, principles, and practice of Burning Man culture and experience around the world.

http://www.burningmanproject.org/programs#.U4TvPcc7tfw

Another good bit on acedemics at Burning Man: http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... emics.html

So now my little talking meat friend I'd like to invite you to participate in this conversation if you have anything that may be valuable to contribute. I'd also like to invite you to get the fuck out of the way if you don't. Feel free to go back to your party, the grown-ups are talking. :twisted:
Shut the Fuck Up and Go To Burning Man.
A-RockLeFrench

Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:00 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:
Eric wrote: he knows that he'll only get to go every second or third year, and that attending is a privilege, not a right. He chose to be a teacher, which means the negative parts of that job are part of his life now, just like when I was working in management & couldn't go to the playa in 2008 or '09: I applied for, and accepted, the job knowing that it meant I'd have to make sacrifices in other areas of my life.

This is a conversation that people who are involved in the education system and who go to Burning Man are actually pretty serious about having as there are (whether you like it or not) some pretty big implications and effects on 'the system' from educators going to TTID. While to a meatcake and a boat captain it might just be one big-ass cool party in the desert, to others it can be a deeply transformational event, even spiritually. So many boundaries and envelopes are being pushed at Burning Man. My judgement (And I suspect I am not alone in this) is that what people learn and un-learn at BM has the potential to affect the world outside of BM.

I like how you completely ignored my first paragraph - where I explained how my friend showed to his principle how attending would give him tools to use in his classroom ("He's been able to twice work it out with his principle to go from Weds on (back at work on Tues), by showing how he could bring specific things back to use in his teaching.").

While you are blindly assuming that everyone who doesn't completely agree with you is utterly against you, you're ignoring what I actually said. He loves attending, he has found ways to incorporate it into his teaching (that his principle approves of), but he understands that he can't attend every year because of his other job requirements. It's not his *right* to attend every year (any more that it's anyones), it's a privilege he holds dear & appreciates. Just like attending is very important to me, but when I had my last job I understood that it might be a while before I could attend again - it was a condition of the job.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy