Snark, is that really something burners take pride in?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Snark, is that really something burners take pride in?

Postby Zumaria » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:19 pm

This year will be my first burn. I'm slightly nervous about confessing this because it seems every time I do (in conjunction with a question or not) I just get a bunch of twatrags and dick responses. So finally, I called it out on Facebook. Why are you being a dick man, you don't even KNOW how much time I have spent reading, researching, polling etc. into this. I have spreadsheets, backup plans, uber reservations. Said persona responded with the fact that they were earning "snark points". Then it started making sense...everyone, everywhere, being a douche in there responses - not saying their aren't helpful people out there - but the majority of responses were, indeed, snarky and people seemed to take pride in this.

Is being snarky really something the burning man community strives to achieve or take pride in? Is there really such a currency as "snark points". I'm not sure how this goes with radical acceptance, it just made me feel bad about myself. Can anyone give any insight into if this is a everyone strives to do this and this is an integral part of burning man or are these just a few frat boys having a dick measuring contest?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure there will be plenty of "snarky comments" here, so let it begin!
Zumaria

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

Re: Snark, is that really something burners take pride in?

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Snark is here to stay. Not that its necessarily the way you want to be interacted with, but it is basically part of the culture.

Read this: https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 80&t=55617

All I can tell you is this isnt the playa, and things are different out in the dust. Here, well... Eplaya is, what eplaya is.

If you dont like it, ignore it, and be the board member you wish everyone else was. But judging from your post above, you seem like you will fit in nicely once the cramps subside and your outrage with the community standards has run its course.

Welcome to eplaya. Fuck yer day. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:29 pm

The roots of burn culture are counter culture. Shouldn't be a surprise that there's a collective chip on the shoulder.

And people on the internet are fuckheads anyway.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby thirt33n » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:30 pm

you're over thinking.
the more you try and figure it out, the more you will come to expect something from this experience in which you should have no expectations.
the internet is full of normal everyday people in their default mindset.
the playa is full of normal everyday people, many are catapulted into their most bestest mindset possible.
when you get there, as prepared as you sound like you are,....just drink your water, put up your shade, find a comfy spot to sit and eat, try to sleep(depending on how long ou traveled) and wake with your new eyes on your YOUR new city...your new world. It is what you will find,..then.

you are prepared.

XO
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:37 pm

I am SO making popcorn and waiting for BBadger's midnight rant on this one. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Zumaria wrote:Is there really such a currency as "snark points".

No. That person was just being a dick (and I'm the person that wrote the overview on Snark for the ePlaya that was linked above). A person who tosses out insults or snark just to earn imaginary "points" has their own pathetic issues to deal with.

Snark is a type of sarcasm, but a bit more biting, and on the ePlaya at least it tends to be used on the clueless. If you've done your research & your asking valid questions (eg: ones that haven't been asked a million times, or aren't easily findable on a google search), generally you're going to get honest, non-snarky answers, at least here. If you ask the most basic questions, without showing that you've done any prep or research, people will unload the snark cannons on your head. People can die on the playa (and have), not having the self-sufficiency to do their own research kind of sets them up for that.

From your first paragraph it sounds like you've been doing the necessary legwork, and you'll probably fit in fine. Just phrasing a question: "I've been hunting all over for an answer to this, but can't find one. Does anybody know ___________" lets people know you've looked. Just make sure you actually have! :D
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Burners on the internet are assholes for the same reason people everywhere are assholes. They're assholes. Someone was an asshole to them and they learned that that was how they could interact with the world. Someone made them feel stupid once so now they want to make you feel stupid.

On the real playa it's hard to find someone who will actually take the time out of their day to be harangued, there's so much more awesome shit to do than listen to the asshole with mega-phone. Online however, the assholes have an audience. On eplaya, they have a club.

Welcome to the club.
Shut the Fuck Up and Go To Burning Man.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby VultureChow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:00 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think the snark on Eplaya is great preparation for the playa. The playa is definitely harsh physically and can be very harsh emotionally.

A nice leathery hide with a couple of sharp spikes is good protection for both. You want to be a horny toad, not a butterfly.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Jackass » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Eplaya's actually pretty tame these days, check out some threads from 2010 and earlier if you want a better picture of how things around here have evolved... This isn't the "Tea of the Month Club" forum you know...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby tamarakay » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:45 pm

It has mellowed some in here. I like the snark that is funny, not the intentional asshat snark. Being an ass for the sake of being an ass is just, well assholeish.

Generally on playa if someone is yelling snark through a megaphone just give them a hearty "fuck yer day" and I bet you end up laughing together and possibly imbibing a few.

Welcome.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Someone replying to a complaint about their snarky comments by saying they were earning "snark points" is one of the funniest things I've heard in days.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Zumaria » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Hello all,

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to respond. I admit that through the internet my faith in burning man was fading, but I'm sure just like as everywhere there always have to be 'bad guys'. I think I'll turn into a horny toad (teehee) and see you all on the playa :)
Zumaria

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Better to be a satisfied frog!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby tatonka » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 pm

i turn in my snark points for weed :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby TT120 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 pm

tatonka wrote:i turn in my snark points for weed :)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby 5280MeV » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:19 am

I've seen people take some misplaced sense of pride in it - not too much on eplaya. This crowd always seemed pretty honest about who they are, snark or no snark.

I think people are just being people. Snarky discourse is tolerated more, so there is more snark, and hence people take it as a feature of the culture. People want to fit in with the new thing so they try to say snarky things. Its awkward.

It could just be the impression that I get. I may have imagined it.

I spent three hours this weekend looking for a misplaced tax form that was only in my imagination.
5280MeV

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:24 am

Try sampling some of the snark on the forum and see what you think of it before assuming it's all the same. Also, if you're afraid of how people will react, make sure to read at the reactions that new people here receive. It's generally positive. The not-so-positive reactions are usually for good reasons, such as, but not limited to:

• Stupid questions - Yes. There are stupid questions and questions that should not be asked: i.e. questions that demonstrate a total lack of research effort on part of the asking person.
  • Expecting others to pay for your burn / entitlement. - No, people are not clamoring over each other just to "gift" hippies tickets. No, that is not the spirit of Burning Man.
  • Total lack of self-awareness - e.g. The second year burner/camp operator sidekick touting the status like some major credential and dissing on everyone else.
  • A pattern of failure - ex: Lone ticketing geniuses, the yearly ticket beg-a-thon, volunteer DJs.
  • Acting burnier-than-thou - No, the way you burn isn't the only way to burn.
  • Useless offerings we all see through - e.g. "I'll be your 'raw vegetable chef' for a ticket!'

So snark usually ends up being about calling someone out on things.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:10 am

On the real playa it's hard to find someone who will actually take the time out of their day to be harangued, there's so much more awesome shit to do than listen to the asshole with mega-phone. Online however, the assholes have an audience. On eplaya, they have a club.

Welcome to the club.

i would never join any club that would have you as a member...
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:11 am

score.....simon 1, the french, 0.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby otakup0pe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 am

tatonka wrote:i turn in my snark points for weed :)

OMG is that even legal in Nevada ?

otakup0pe

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:

i would never join any club that would have you as a member...

The feeling is mutual monsieur Simon. You and your amis imaginaires deserve a club all your own.
Shut the Fuck Up and Go To Burning Man.
A-RockLeFrench

Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby tummler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Just posting to increase my snark points.

Snark points. Jesus Snarking Christ. Brilliant.
tummler

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 pm

That's certainly the angriest koala I've ever seen, but why is he on a treadmill?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:49 am

Roo-bear ended up as an angry Millennial.

[media]
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby shroom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:23 am

Why is the online snark bothering you? Do real life smart asses bother you too? In reality you probably won't see anyone from the board on the playa unless you seek them out. It'll be alright.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Zumaria wrote:This year will be my first burn. I'm slightly nervous about confessing this because it seems every time I do (in conjunction with a question or not) I just get a bunch of twatrags and dick responses. So finally, I called it out on Facebook. Why are you being a dick man, you don't even KNOW how much time I have spent reading, researching, polling etc. into this. I have spreadsheets, backup plans, uber reservations. Said persona responded with the fact that they were earning "snark points". Then it started making sense...everyone, everywhere, being a douche in there responses - not saying their aren't helpful people out there - but the majority of responses were, indeed, snarky and people seemed to take pride in this.

Is being snarky really something the burning man community strives to achieve or take pride in? Is there really such a currency as "snark points". I'm not sure how this goes with radical acceptance, it just made me feel bad about myself. Can anyone give any insight into if this is a everyone strives to do this and this is an integral part of burning man or are these just a few frat boys having a dick measuring contest?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure there will be plenty of "snarky comments" here, so let it begin!

Rest assured you're still experiencing The Internet more than anything to do with the Burn. Snark points are not a Thing.

But you really have to come see for yourself, and you're the only one who can convince yourself to do it.

Unfortunately, we can't make up for the levels of snark out there at random. I would recommend that you participate in whatever online areas make you feel the least uncomfortable and the most educated (I haven't even tried to participate on Facebook; it just sounds too crazy) and step back from ones that leave you feeling bad.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby ranger magnum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Snark points are the new bitcoins.
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby Sham » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 am

ranger magnum wrote:Snark points are the new bitcoins.

Bitcoins are so last month! :roll:
Sham

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:26 am

STFU, you cranio-rectally inverted pseudo intellectual babbling capri-sodomizing ner-do-well malcontented asshat!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 am

you're doing it wrong.
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy