Mischief Castle DC

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Mischief Castle DC

Postby Bless » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 am

A DC burner camp called Mischief has build a super cool castle that they've been bringing to regional events like Transforums and Freeform. They had been raising funds to bring the castle to BRC for the first time, but fell short on their goal and won't be able to bring it out this year. What a shame!

My question is should BMorg have a responsibility to support unique or special (I'm sure that can't be objectively determined) projects? If the Temple project fell short on its fundraising goal would BMorg step in to help out?

In other words, are there some projects in your mind that are so incredible that they HAVE to make it to the playa? Or is it totally up to the organizers/funders of the project to make sure it gets there with minor financial assistance from BMorg?

I understand the 'radically self-reliant' aspect of funding projects, but question why BMorg helps out any project then. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Isn't it a little like picking winners and losers?

Here's the current castle

And here's the castle they want to build for the burn

Bless

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Mischief Castle DC

Postby lemur » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 am

Bless wrote:
My question is should BMorg have a responsibility to support unique or special (I'm sure that can't be objectively determined) projects?

no. but they do spend money from tickets to fund portions of art projects: over $600,000 in 2012..

If the Temple project fell short on its fundraising goal would BMorg step in to help out?

when projects the powers that be determine are important need help the LLC uses their considerable email list and facebook and twitter resources to get people to visit the projects kickstartr/indigogo or whatever else it is to raise the cash..

it wouldnt surprise me if a 'secret santa' has saved the day before.

In other words, are there some projects in your mind that are so incredible that they HAVE to make it to the playa?

not really... theres been post-burning man fundraisers for big projects like THE TEMPLE in the past.. to raise funds to make up for the debt they incurred.

in the past the LLC has said NO to giving money to the big loud music camps that draw thousands, too.

Or is it totally up to the organizers/funders of the project to make sure it gets there with minor financial assistance from BMorg?

pretty much.

I understand the 'radically self-reliant' aspect of funding projects, but question why BMorg helps out any project then. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

im not sure, but i imagine because: A. they need attractions at their festival to make it profitable. B. its good PR to give some money.. and C. they know lots of the people doing this 'making art' stuff arent all that wealthy and are gonna be beggin for the cash one way or another..

the purpose is to run a successful business.., and currently, to run a profitable one.. they seem to be doing that..

Isn't it a little like picking winners and losers?

yes, selecting some people for art grants out of a large pool of people, some of whom do not get a grant, is in fact picking winners and losers.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:05 pm

lemur wrote:
Bless wrote:
Isn't it a little like picking winners and losers?

yes, selecting some people for art grants out of a large pool of people, some of whom do not get a grant, is in fact picking winners and losers.

If that's the way you want to slice it, yes.
But, the llc cant afford to support all art projects that come to the burn. Should it then support none? That's much fairer.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:10 am

Speaking as one of the DC Burners who struggled to support this project and was profoundly disappointed at its failure, I agree that the BMorg has tough choices to make and can't make everybody happy.

I am hoping that the Castle will continue to grow and will make it to BRC next year.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:45 am

I'm moving this over to the Politics & Philosophy board, since that's a better fit.

Burning Man already has a pretty generous grant program. It's open to anyone to submit proposals, and this year they provided some funding and support to 66 projects.

No, I don't think Burning Man has an additional responsibility to provide additional funding to projects that fall short. Speaking personally, I think it's a fucked up form of entitlement that you'd even think that, let alone ask the question publicly. If you want to get all radical sense of entitlement about it, shouldn't it be your responsibility as a member of that community to help that project succeed?

You may think something has to make it, but it doesn't. You may even be heartbroken if something you loved seeing in a previous year doesn't make it out or changes, but you'll get over it. There's a life lesson here, in my opinion. None of this is easy, in fact it's really fucking hard. Hell, for many just getting your shit together for your personal burn is really fucking hard. Building and bringing something beyond that is monumentally difficult (I think more ideas don't make it than ever actually make it), and shouldn't be taken for granted. Savor and appreciate the awesomeness you experience on the playa for the achievement that it is. See a project in your neck of the woods you think has to be out there? Join it, work your ass off, and do your part to help make it go.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 am

^^^ What he said, with a (((hug))) added. Being really hard to pull off makes it better.

Thanks for moving this, Trilo.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Return to Politics & Philosophy