Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:21 am

So yeah... planning already for 2014 as my brother just expressed interest in attending. I thought a small camp serving spam sushi, spamburgers and other spam treats might be fun, but is that too commercialized? The Potted Meat Camp does not have the same ring to it.

Any thoughts?
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:02 pm

"Spam", even though a brand name, is pretty generic. I think you're completely safe with it, though your neighbors will kill you if you have this on 24hour repeat:

[media]
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8305
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby C187 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Personally I don't think so. Spam, although a brand, is almost by definition the most generic thing out there. So generic people are growing synthetic designer protein.
Your issue would come in if you have backing from Spam. But that's not going to happen. So really, your worry will be about the people who got mad about Pizza Slut, or Costco Soul Mates because of the name use. Even then Spam is so much of a joke, that even it's name is one.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
User avatar
C187
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 am
Location: North Bay, CA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Eric wrote:"Spam", even though a brand name, is pretty generic. I think you're completely safe with it, though your neighbors will kill you if you have this on 24hour repeat:

[media]


Thanks. I'm probably doing spam sushi for the Meet & Greet this year and if it goes over well, I thought it might be a fun and relatively simple idea for a small camp. My brother might not be the best cook, but he is a far better greeter and grabber of passerbys than me.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 pm

VC, I think it's fine. Nobody seems bothered by Barbie Death Camp. Well, most people aren't.
User avatar
Dr. Pyro
 
Posts: 3959
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Location: Newcastle, CA
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby graidawg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:VC, I think it's fine. Nobody seems bothered by Barbie Death Camp. Well, most people aren't.


even mattel?
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:VC, I think it's fine. Nobody seems bothered by Barbie Death Camp. Well, most people aren't.


Entire blog posts have been written about whether Barbie Death Camp is acceptable or not. Though usually not because of the "Barbie" portion of the name. :)


Thanks for the advice all. I was trying to (and failed to) come up with another example out there that was in the same ballpark, where the camp is distributing a brand name product that it is named after. Even without corporate sponsorship, a Pabst Blue Ribbon Camp or a Krug Kamp would probably go over like a ton of bricks.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby maryanimal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:40 pm

VC, a Spam camp sound wonderful! almost everyone loves Spam! Spam sushi sounds interesting. Great idea!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3930
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 pm

I think it's a knee-slapper. If I had a knee...

(And Camp PBR might work, too. Especially if you did something like a dog show to earn a blue ribbon--all in fun, of course.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 39907
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:33 am

Such a good way to tempt people to the dark side of canned meats.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 4432
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby SPAM Stylist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:38 am

SPAM Appreciation!
Camp FUA has been hosting a SPAM Appreciation party for the last 6 years. It is so gratifying to see that our efforts are paying off...the word of SPAM is spreading. Last year there was SPAM art on the playa and now the possibility of a Spam Camp! We ARE making the world a better place for SPAM and for those that crave it.
SPAM Appreciation & Tom Jones tunes, Friday 12:00 - 2:00. The Camp FUA SPAM Stylists lovingly prepare SPAM kabobs for your Playa dining pleasure. 4:30 & The Outer Road.
So...to answer the question, "Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?" Those of us at Camp FUA say, "Absolutely not!!"
SPAM Stylist
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp FUA

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 am

I don't think it would, but it probably depends on how you execute. If at any point you feel like your camp has turned into some kind of Hormel foods booth at a trade show, you'll know it's probably taken a wrong turn. Otherwise, I say have fun with it.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13033
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 am

SPAM Stylist wrote:SPAM Appreciation!
Camp FUA has been hosting a SPAM Appreciation party for the last 6 years. It is so gratifying to see that our efforts are paying off...the word of SPAM is spreading. Last year there was SPAM art on the playa and now the possibility of a Spam Camp! We ARE making the world a better place for SPAM and for those that crave it.
SPAM Appreciation & Tom Jones tunes, Friday 12:00 - 2:00. The Camp FUA SPAM Stylists lovingly prepare SPAM kabobs for your Playa dining pleasure. 4:30 & The Outer Road.
So...to answer the question, "Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?" Those of us at Camp FUA say, "Absolutely not!!"


I'll have to find you this year. That sounds awesome. Maybe I'll bring a batch of SPAM sushi with me.

trilobyte wrote:I don't think it would, but it probably depends on how you execute. If at any point you feel like your camp has turned into some kind of Hormel foods booth at a trade show, you'll know it's probably taken a wrong turn. Otherwise, I say have fun with it.


Yeah, that was my concern as well, but a little humor goes a long way. I'm sure I can find an acceptable balance.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:38 am

You could also probably have a lot of fun building some kind of junk mail art piece. Or get a bullhorn for the extrovert in your group and invite him/her to make unsolicited offers to passers-by :D
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13033
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 am

trilobyte wrote:You could also probably have a lot of fun building some kind of junk mail art piece. Or get a bullhorn for the extrovert in your group and invite him/her to make unsolicited offers to passers-by :D


That would be my brother. I love the idea of him shouting Viagra offers or NIgerian prince scams at random people.

The art project is interesting. I was planning on taking two years to work on a rather large, (for me) art project. But maybe I make the camp sign a collage of junk mail that looks like a can of spam. That shouldn't be tooooo hard to do. I probably alone get enough junk mail to do it.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:58 am

Scam Camp?

Scamp!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:06 pm

VultureChow wrote:
trilobyte wrote:You could also probably have a lot of fun building some kind of junk mail art piece. Or get a bullhorn for the extrovert in your group and invite him/her to make unsolicited offers to passers-by :D


That would be my brother. I love the idea of him shouting Viagra offers or NIgerian prince scams at random people.


Oo! Imagine a chalkboard or marquee with the available dishes!

SPAM SUSHI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . free
SPAM ON A STICK . . . . . . . . . . . . .free
SPAMBURGER . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . free
SPAM a la VI4GRA . . . . . . . . . . . . $49.95/month, cancel anytime, by which I mean "good luck with THAT"
SWEDISH ROYAL LOTTERY SPAM . . . everything you own

The art project is interesting. I was planning on taking two years to work on a rather large, (for me) art project. But maybe I make the camp sign a collage of junk mail that looks like a can of spam. That shouldn't be tooooo hard to do. I probably alone get enough junk mail to do it.


That would be cool.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11276
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby CornMan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Spam has reached cult status. You could make a giant can of Spam for an art piece, and people would understand.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Savannah wrote:Oo! Imagine a chalkboard or marquee with the available dishes!

SPAM SUSHI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . free
SPAM ON A STICK . . . . . . . . . . . . .free
SPAMBURGER . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . free
SPAM a la VI4GRA . . . . . . . . . . . . $49.95/month, cancel anytime, by which I mean "good luck with THAT"
SWEDISH ROYAL LOTTERY SPAM . . . everything you own



Stealing that. Thanks.

I love the idea of doing this, but don't want to put to put too much on my brother if he comes with me. And am not sure I want to do this on my own. The logistics and cooking are fine. I just really need a barker to draw people in.

It's not like I have to serve all day every day. Maybe just a few lunches.

Damn it. I really want to do this now.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:22 pm

CornMan wrote: You could make a giant can of Spam for an art piece.

That would make a great CORE contribution if you ask me.
User avatar
Dr. Pyro
 
Posts: 3959
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Location: Newcastle, CA
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby CornMan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
CornMan wrote: You could make a giant can of Spam for an art piece.

That would make a great CORE contribution if you ask me.


Hawaii's CORE project? As Popeye would say, "Ahhkekekekekekekekeke.'
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:31 pm

CornMan wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:
CornMan wrote: You could make a giant can of Spam for an art piece.

That would make a great CORE contribution if you ask me.


Hawaii's CORE project? As Popeye would say, "Ahhkekekekekekekekeke.'


Especially given this year's theme. SPAM's popularity there is entirely due to WWII.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby CornMan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 pm

VultureChow wrote:Especially given this year's theme. SPAM's popularity there is entirely due to WWII.


I thought it was because the taste of Spam made the islanders feel nostalgic about the good old cannibal days. Ahhkekekekekekeka!
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:48 pm

VultureChow wrote:
Savannah wrote:Oo! Imagine a chalkboard or marquee with the available dishes!

SPAM SUSHI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . free
SPAM ON A STICK . . . . . . . . . . . . .free
SPAMBURGER . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . free
SPAM a la VI4GRA . . . . . . . . . . . . $49.95/month, cancel anytime, by which I mean "good luck with THAT"
SWEDISH ROYAL LOTTERY SPAM . . . everything you own



Stealing that. Thanks.


Go nuts! (Now I wish I'd come up with something funnier). :)

I love the idea of doing this, but don't want to put to put too much on my brother if he comes with me. And am not sure I want to do this on my own. The logistics and cooking are fine. I just really need a barker to draw people in.

It's not like I have to serve all day every day. Maybe just a few lunches.


Agreed! Keep it doable and fun.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11276
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Savannah wrote:Go nuts! (Now I wish I'd come up with something funnier). :)



Well I may edit it a bit.

I love cooking and serving food. Love it.

It will take a bit to get over the general fear of throwing a party and having no one show up. But I'm liking how this is coming together in my head...
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 pm

I think the "When" of it all could figure in to having enough patrons. Maybe Breakfast. Or Midnight SPAM, with a light and a sign. If you're cooking it, hopefully the smell would carry but yeah, you'd probably still need a barker . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11276
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Savannah wrote:I think the "When" of it all could figure in to having enough patrons. Maybe Breakfast. Or Midnight SPAM, with a light and a sign. If you're cooking it, hopefully the smell would carry but yeah, you'd probably still need a barker . . .



Breakfast or lunch I could do. Midnight would be too late for me. I barely made it that late last year. I'm going to work on my napping technique so I can be out more at night this year.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby C187 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:59 pm

A terrible idea just popped in my head.
Make SPAM can head gear. Like full on over the head type masks. Have twenty or so people wearing them, and then dive down onto camps/people/whatever at once! Have spam ready to give out, editable spam, mail spam, phone spam, and spam spam! Just swarm the fuck out of the group for five minutes and move on. But do skip that one camp next door, and give them that look of they are not worthy of the spam gracing them.

Also going back to what trilo said. Why not have a full on trade show booth type camp set up, and be deadly serious about the free sample limit. Play it all straight man, with the demo mirror tilted just so.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
User avatar
C187
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 am
Location: North Bay, CA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby bluesbob » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm

That Spam better have bacon in it!
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Re: Would a Spam Camp be too commercial?

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Savannah wrote:
VultureChow wrote:
trilobyte wrote:You could also probably have a lot of fun building some kind of junk mail art piece. Or get a bullhorn for the extrovert in your group and invite him/her to make unsolicited offers to passers-by :D


That would be my brother. I love the idea of him shouting Viagra offers or NIgerian prince scams at random people.


Oo! Imagine a chalkboard or marquee with the available dishes!

SPAM SUSHI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . free
SPAM ON A STICK . . . . . . . . . . . . .free
SPAMBURGER . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . free
SPAM a la VI4GRA . . . . . . . . . . . . $49.95/month, cancel anytime, by which I mean "good luck with THAT"
SWEDISH ROYAL LOTTERY SPAM . . . everything you own

The art project is interesting. I was planning on taking two years to work on a rather large, (for me) art project. But maybe I make the camp sign a collage of junk mail that looks like a can of spam. That shouldn't be tooooo hard to do. I probably alone get enough junk mail to do it.


That would be cool.

CMOT Dibbler, is that you?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 39907
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests