challenging "the Temple"

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: challenging "the Temple"

Postby DoctorIknow » Tue May 20, 2014 2:06 am

Eric wrote:Or they could be letting out a version of primordial screams

True enough.
I've heard people yell out names and heard people wailing.
I don't begrudge primordial screamers at all, I doubt anyone tells them to shut up, and I should not have made it appear I am "against" all noisemakers.
The ones I was talking about are celebratory "whoo-hoo-ers" who may or may not be what I called them.
But, you are right, I was wrong because:

Eric wrote:.... because they don't follow the action you personally think they should shows a bit of the narcissism and demagoguery that is the root of the recurrent problems there (and a major reason I don't sit anywhere near the Temple for that Burn).

I didn't know of recurrent problems at that burn.
Is it variants of the "down in front" thing?
This is just part of Burning Man, and the "down in fronts" people or the Freebird people, and even the whoo-hooers are more amusing to me than getting my goat up, but in my post I felt if only one person gets from me and others in this entire thread that they don't have to be a who-hooing asshat and could instead just enjoy silence, then I don't mind being scolded when I reach into what could be potential reasons they do what they do. Big mistake for me.

I have no idea if politics or policing were responsible for the Mutant Vehicles to turn off their sound, but it seems to be working. I don't care why they do it, but they do it, and I'm grateful. I only wish whoo-hooers would understand the concept of silence that they can be a part of.

Eric: I respect the scolding, I am humbled and embarrassed.
DoctorIknow

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 20, 2014 5:20 am

im a whoo whoooer.......Just TRY and stop me....

fuck you and your silence. :roll:
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue May 20, 2014 5:32 am

this almost makes me want to stay for the temple burn.

so i can use a fucking bullhorn.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Eric » Tue May 20, 2014 12:01 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:I only wish whoo-hooers would understand the concept of silence that they can be a part of.

You also missed the point - everyone doesn't mourn silently, and some people see the Temple as a place of transition, and not all transition is solemn. Those whoo-hooers have as much right to do their thing as you do to sit quietly - they are expressing what they need to express at the moment. Take the person from the cancer-gown anecdote earlier in the thread - why should they be quiet, when they're celebrating a release from pain? Why should the person who leaves a marriage licence & a wedding picture to celebrate the death of their failed marriage and their new freedom be forced into silence, just because you think they should be? If someone isn't being quiet, and that's what you want, it's your responsibility to move, not theirs to shut up. You're the one who is taking issue, and by telling a person who's cheering on the Burning of their hospital gown to shut up, you're ruining their Burn as much as you think they are ruining yours. You don't know why people are whoo-hooing, you're just assuming.

The whole "shhhh" and "down in front" and "watch this burn the way I require" is bullshit. The year I needed quiet for my Temple burn, I removed myself from a crowd of tens of thousands of people and watched it by myself, from a distance. I got the space I needed to be with my thoughts. If you can't find that space in an amorphous crowd of tens of thousands - all there for their own reasons - without controlling everyone else's experience, maybe you should move yourself back so you can take control of your own experience and leave them alone.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby aserendipity » Tue May 20, 2014 1:49 pm

I respectfully request restart from Eric ..please

sensitivity
intelligence
and kind
aserendipity

Postby Jackass » Tue May 20, 2014 3:39 pm

aserendipity wrote:I respectfully request restart from Eric ..please

sensitivity
intelligence
and kind

What hell
does
this
mean?
with always
fragmented format!?

shut
up or...
talk,
sit
down or...
stand,
laugh or...
cry,
watch
it
burn or...
not.

fuck yer
day too... please!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby ygmir » Tue May 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Eric wrote:
DoctorIknow wrote:I only wish whoo-hooers would understand the concept of silence that they can be a part of.

You also missed the point - everyone doesn't mourn silently, and some people see the Temple as a place of transition, and not all transition is solemn. Those whoo-hooers have as much right to do their thing as you do to sit quietly - they are expressing what they need to express at the moment. Take the person from the cancer-gown anecdote earlier in the thread - why should they be quiet, when they're celebrating a release from pain? Why should the person who leaves a marriage licence & a wedding picture to celebrate the death of their failed marriage and their new freedom be forced into silence, just because you think they should be? If someone isn't being quiet, and that's what you want, it's your responsibility to move, not theirs to shut up. You're the one who is taking issue, and by telling a person who's cheering on the Burning of their hospital gown to shut up, you're ruining their Burn as much as you think they are ruining yours. You don't know why people are whoo-hooing, you're just assuming.

The whole "shhhh" and "down in front" and "watch this burn the way I require" is bullshit. The year I needed quiet for my Temple burn, I removed myself from a crowd of tens of thousands of people and watched it by myself, from a distance. I got the space I needed to be with my thoughts. If you can't find that space in an amorphous crowd of tens of thousands - all there for their own reasons - without controlling everyone else's experience, maybe you should move yourself back so you can take control of your own experience and leave them alone.

this is why I admire you.

such intellect. did you graduate "sooner cum loudly"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Eric » Tue May 20, 2014 4:30 pm

aserendipity wrote:I respectfully request restart from Eric ..please

sensitivity
intelligence
and kind

Restart? I'm giving my honest opinion, and having a Mod-hat doesn't mean I have to give up my opinion.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby aserendipity » Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Eric, maybe for the first and last time I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU
and I never look at your hat I have my own

Sham, editing is an art form ad reductius
aserendipity

Postby Eric » Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 pm

aserendipity wrote:Eric, maybe for the first and last time I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU
and I never look at your hat I have my own

Sham, editing is an art form ad reductius

I interpreted your other post to mean completely the opposite - thank you for clarifying.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby gaminwench » Tue May 20, 2014 11:29 pm

me, too.

text is so hard. :(

I like/need/want body language and tone.

*sigh*
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 am

I gesticulate wildly to and fro when i post...

Its the latin side...
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 21, 2014 9:12 pm

That's how he lost the log ins to the other socks. Spilled some sort of toxic, rust-belt energy drink onto his cpu.

A sad, sad day for sock-kind...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby H.G.Crosby » Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 am

pretty much nailed it.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby kiboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 am

tamarakay wrote:I like this idea a lot. A whole whole lot.
I am uncomfortable with the whole "sacred" thing. I understand that the temple has grown into a place where people can say goodbye to people/things and a letting go of sorts, but the whole sacred speak in hushed tones wailing wall thing seemed contrived and forced to me.

Agreed, The temple was very important to me on my first burn in 2000. I was saying goodbye to the best friend I've ever had. I really didn't know how to get my grieving done at home.
I went to the temple when I saw a lull in action to put up my remembrance. They I quickly walked off into the playa to get emotional. Always staying nearby but never going close again. I would have loved some small very simple place to be able to sit alone at times. It's all nonsense in the end anyway I guess but then so is everything. But making a show of your pain is the worst imo. It degrades it completely in my eyes.

Don't believe everything you think.
kiboy

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:25 am

Eric wrote: If you can't find that space in an amorphous crowd of tens of thousands - all there for their own reasons - without controlling everyone else's experience, maybe you should move yourself back so you can take control of your own experience and leave them alone.

Or, if you go downwind, the fire will remove those people for you.

templburn2.jpg
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy