Bike Problems/Issues around the Burns (Man/Temple)

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Bike Problems/Issues around the Burns (Man/Temple)

Postby butterscotch » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:18 pm

Any suggestions on dealing with bike problems around the burns?

Problems:

-Bikes on the ground around the burn are dangerous.

You have to navigate around them/over them + Create any negative feelings trying to stand them up/possibly damage them in the getting over them. People running towards the burn after the structure falls can trip over them. (Unlit + metal = bad cut)

-Bikes on the ground means less area to sit around the burn.

Less area to sit = more standers = more pissed off people.

Possible Solution (s):

Temporary bike storage areas set up around the burn on all sides. They should have large lit signs to grab rider's attention <Leave your Bike HERE>. With perhaps a special sticker to tell you which area you left your bike?

Glowing stickers to help identify your specific bike.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!
~Aimless.
butterscotch

Postby dragonflyannie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:07 pm

Butterscotch,

I completely agree with you! I saw first hand how unmindful someone was about this... my love and I got there early to sit in the front and some folks sat down next to us. They were a lovely group of people except for their straggler friend who came up to meet with them after they had settled. He had his bike and laid it down where the second row of people sitting should be. A ranger politely told him he would have to put his bike elsewhere, explaining the exact reasons you described as to why it should not be there. You know what his response was? Something along the lines of, "I'm not moving my bike, other people are just going to have to watch out for it and deal with it."

Unfortunately, I did not see the ranger enforce this and the bike sat behind me the whole burn. I know there were people around us that this angered. I should have said something now that I think about it.

I like your idea of temporary bike storage. They have the bike racks at center camp. I don't see why they couldn't put some out on the outskirts of the man (far back enough to be out of the way, but close enough to find again). Maybe find out who you can pitch that idea to at the bm org. They might listen. I'm sure they know it's a problem.
dragonflyannie

Burning Since: 2000

Don't bike to the burn

Postby bradtem » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:04 pm

I bike everywhere in BRC, but not to the Burning of the Man. Unless you have a disability that prevents you from walking to the Man for the burn, it is strongly recommended you lock your bike at camp and walk to it. Everybody is there, you couldn't possibly have them all bring their bikes. This should be stressed strongly in the Survival guide, I think -- but already this is what almost everybody does.

The temple burn is a bit different. It's very far out, and the city population is also a lot smaller. Many more people bike to this. It's still recommended to walk if you can easily do so, but if you need to bike, lock your bike up somewhere you can find it (for example, near a post or an art car that will be stationary, or use a GPS) fairly far away, and walk to the temple from there. Put a blinky on your bike, perhaps. Bringing your bike into the crowd is dangerous, it is full of sharp edges. I got a nasty bike scratch this year when somebody leaned a bike on one of my installations and I tripped over it.
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:10 pm

I thought this thread was a hiss about the Playa conditions — i.e., the thick, fluffy coating of dust making it hard to travel out by bike.

Constructive criticism:

Not everyone has access to an art car, and for many people it's a long walk to the Man. Even longer for the Temple.

Unlit metal + Feet = unpleasantness. Answer: Get your act together and light that sucker up like ya shoulda done a week ago! You can stick close by, too.

Go with a flotilla of other bikes and/or art cars and keep the vehicles in their own little island. Most people avoid clusterfucks, they'll rush around it like water.

A well-marked area for parking of bikes is probably every bike thief's wet dream. They could even scam you that way, set up their own and make off with them while you're watching the Man burn. Such an area would mean another detachment of Rangers to watch over them; consider the logistics of gatekeeping 25,000 bikes!! :shock:

The Playa's not a frickin' concert arena. It is vast, there's tons of room out there. Spread out a little. You don't have to be front and centre with a 10" standoff from the fire circle line to get a good view. I've watched the Man burn from as far back as the Esplanade and the impact does not diminish appreciably with distance. With the Temple it's a little more crucial to get fairly close in order to take it all in, but there's no such thing as a cheap seat at the Man's Burn: they're all good seats.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby butterscotch » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:49 am

Hmm... Anyone know what kind of device you would use to burn your name into the metal of your playa bike? I wonder if that would help. (Or if I should buy one and make it freely available just upon entry and before it actually gets used)...

Sincerely,
~Aimless
butterscotch

hi

Postby Lysergic » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:24 am

Yea leave your damn bikes at camp you lazy bastards! I walked a good 15 miles a day, and if you can't walk a half mile to the man well then stay at camp with your bike too!

Sloth is a deadly sin ya know...
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha
Lysergic

Postby cobwebbywings » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:31 pm

I brought my bike to the burn this year, stayed way back by the art cars and had a great time. This is the way to go in my opinion.
cobwebbywings

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:14 pm

Yea leave your damn bikes at camp you lazy bastards! I walked a good 15 miles a day, and if you can't walk a half mile to the man well then stay at camp with your bike too!

Youch! One hopes that is humous sarcasm, otherwise by your definition I shouldn't have attended Burning Man at all. Worse still, my bike was a four wheeler pedaled by my SO, not me. And I forgot my frickin' cane so all my walks were short and painful. A very merry fuck you to you! We parked back by the art cars, but got hassled for being in their way because "you're small, you can move up." Can't please anyone can we?

Maybe last year's burn was better all the way back by the medical tent. I'm beginning to wonder what the man looks like in flames from the Temple.

Courtesy Camp Curmudgeon. Get off my fucking lawn, I'd still have grass if it weren't for all you fucking hippies camping in my yard. Damn juvies, setting shit on fire and leaving your damn bikes all over the place ...
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby bradtem » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:00 pm

You seem to be assuming that "don't bike to the burn" includes people who can't walk to the burn. I doubt anybody was saying that. What is true is that you can't easily or safely (or without bike loss) have 30,000 bikes at the burn, so the principle is still the same. If you can walk to the burn, you really, really should walk to the burn. If you can't, then get to it how you need to get to it.
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:18 am

I actually got that, but I'm a smart ass and often need to make smart ass remarks. A hobbling smart ass at that.

If folks are camped out at the far ends of the city, maybe they could bike to Center Cafe, park the bikes there and walk over to the burn. I agree, 30,000 bikes anywhere are far too many.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Politics & Philosophy