Porta-Potties

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Hovering

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:22 am

You are absolutely right about not one single case of a disease being transmitted by the use of a public toilet. Not one in the history of the AMA! So get over it! Just wipe the seat with TP before planting your fanny. Sitting in piddle is nasty, but safe. For those who insist because they have ghost-like halucinations of their mommy telling them about cooties, GET OVER IT! As to if you are a responsible hoverer, and you do wipe all your urine off the plastic, thank you. Unfortunately, you are not the people I'm pissed off at. JotS doesn't get angry at the pee-pee. They get REALLY pissed off at those who splatter shit on the seat, sometimes w/o so much as openning the fooking lid! So if you want to do something nice for the community, tell your campmates, passing strangers, and those waiting in line with you at the Temples of Excremeditation that proper pottie etiquete is essential to the enjoyment of all. Or if you really want to get involved, join pottie-list@burningman.com. Wipe carefully, campers.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Lines ....

Postby Taniwha » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:55 am

we were rather aghast at the lines that started forming at our local porta-pottie enclave - eventually we started ranting at the assembled about how "chaos is breaking down" and speculating on the eventual results (past year's Men arising from the fire and stalking the landscape).

The funny thing was that this invariably happened at night - a line of 30 would form for the 4 PPs on the left and snake out into the road, the other 15 odd rest would have the traditional 2-3 people waiting for a few doors but people couldn't see that in the dark ... I once tried addressing the multitude explaining the situation and was shouted down by the people in the front of the long line about encouraging people to cut in front of them (I wasn't - I was suggesting they join the other shorter ones) - I guess they had a lot invested in their position in line - on reflection this probably sais a lot about society in the large :-)
Taniwha

Re: Lines ....

Postby Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:03 pm

Taniwha wrote:The funny thing was that this invariably happened at night - a line of 30 would form for the 4 PPs on the left and snake out into the road, the other 15 odd rest would have the traditional 2-3 people waiting for a few doors but people couldn't see that in the dark ... I once tried addressing the multitude explaining the situation and was shouted down by the people in the front of the long line about encouraging people to cut in front of them (I wasn't - I was suggesting they join the other shorter ones) - I guess they had a lot invested in their position in line - on reflection this probably sais a lot about society in the large :-)

That's no shit.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

I agree!

Postby Chai Guy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:45 pm

The funny thing was that this invariably happened at night - a line of 30 would form for the 4 PPs on the left and snake out into the road, the other 15 odd rest would have the traditional 2-3 people waiting for a few doors but people couldn't see that in the dark ... I once tried addressing the multitude explaining the situation and was shouted down by the people in the front of the long line about encouraging people to cut in front of them (I wasn't - I was suggesting they join the other shorter ones) - I guess they had a lot invested in their position in line - on reflection this probably sais a lot about society in the large

This brings up a great point:
One Single File Line for all Potties Vs. Individual Lines for each Potty, Vs. Random waiting for mulitiple Potties.

I like the individual line for each potty best, these lines should que up close to each potty (approximately 3-5 feet away). The problem with the one single file line for all potties is when mulitiple users exit the potties at once thus leaving a potty empty due to the person in line not noticing that the user has left.

The random waiting for multiple potties is the WORST because not only do you risk an empty potty for the same reasons as above, making it the most inefficent method.
Chai Guy

Queing up to shit

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:39 am

<giggle, snort>
On the pottie-list@burningman.com, there was some animated discussion on the pottie lines. Many folks were just as annoyed about the inefficient chaos and lack of logical attention paid to how people positioned themselves before Les Chateaux des Deux-Deux. Like they were asking ME to correct this problem! (chuckle!). THIS IS BURNINGMAN! fercryingoutloud!

Suggestion: adopt the cluster where you live and make the lines form exactly how your heart desires. Bring a megaphone and go nuts with pottie-crowd control. Then if you get bored, try different configurations, or hold a lottery or a guessing game. This is a terrific opp to also spew forth about pottie etiquete. Intelligent, creative ideas abound in our fair city.
robbidobbs

My porta-thanks

Postby heat » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:49 pm

Once I was at the confess-for-a-tequila-shot camp just opposite the potties...um... somewhere. I said I wanted to give my shot to the porta potty guys working across from us at that moment. "The potties've been so clean this year!" I said .
"Well, they're over there pumping 3 times a day or something", said the bartendress.
"Holy Shotglass, Batgirl - you've never thanked 'em yet?!"
So off I go to invite them and soon all the pumper dudes and even the owner of the company are standing in the shade, having a shot and a slice of lemon and a few laughs, stories, and pats on the back. Yay!
Note: The guys tried hard to get their Latin compatriots to join them, but they refused, staying with the pumps. Hmmm.
Nuther note: Some of those pumper dudes were serious hotties!!!
Life is short but wide
heat

Postby DogBoy » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:28 pm

A couple good stories...

Wed night, about 1-2am, my campmate Duke & I took a stack of the MRE toilet papers (just barely enough to wipe, wrapped in brown paper) & handed them out to people looking for TP at 830 & Dogma, making some very happy folks. My reward for this was that the first person I gave one to was a buddy from Pyrosutra & hadn't seen since last year.

Sat night, post burn, my wife dropped a borrowed flashlight in one of the "dutch ovens" (my own name for JOTS) & out of pure no-MOOP reaction got it back out without second thought. (It did land on a TP island). I don't think even I am that hardcore. She did walk the 4 blocks back to camp hands in the air yelling "eewww!"

Lastly, the banks of JOTS are great places to spread rumors & idea viruses: did you hear that Prince William came to the Burn this year?
DogBoy

Location: Twins City, OR "The hardest place to find in Oregon"

Postby Lydia Love » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:32 pm

& out of pure no-MOOP reaction got it back out without second thought.

Just based on this I admire your wife to no end.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby OregonRed » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:05 pm

I am DogBoy's wife... Just wanted to say that I do not believe I reacted any differently than anyone who "gets it" would. My only reaction was "That can't be!" and I took care of the problem in the way I figured anyone else would.

My husband swears this makes me hardcore, but truly, wouldn't any one of you have done the same thing?
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Stormy » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:19 pm

OregonRed wrote:I am DogBoy's wife... Just wanted to say that I do not believe I reacted any differently than anyone who "gets it" would. My only reaction was "That can't be!" and I took care of the problem in the way I figured anyone else would.

My husband swears this makes me hardcore, but truly, wouldn't any one of you have done the same thing?

Yes, but there would have been a good deal of bitching involved. Just ask my husband, no one can bitch and whine like Stormy!
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:33 pm

I just think Stormy's avatar picture is cute. It reminds me of a few people I know.

And Stormy, you might be good at bitching but your not the best at it.
When I get going I could really give you a good run for it. But I know some people that both of us couldn't keep up with. They breathe, bitch, breathe, bitch, maybe eat, bitch, sleep, bitch, repeat.
Kinetic

Postby OregonRed » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:22 am

I did bitch... four blocks back to camp. Some kind soul had hand sanitizer but I didn't feel clean until I washed my hands with soap and water... and the fungus had started to rear it's head so, of course, I had an intense fear of the JOTS for the rest of the night.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby telizas » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:57 am

I *did* see Monkeyboy coming out of the portapotties... I was LMAO when I saw him!

I don't remember what day it was, but I started a round of applause for the pump guys. They have the worst job in the WORLD and they did it with smiles on their faces!

As for the pottie color - they are blue because they're made in MN. How would you see them in snow if they were white????
Well behaved women rarely make history.
telizas

Pump-a-porty potty INTO your rv

Postby crackle » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:39 pm

As a Greeter part of my job was to create and pass mis-information. So, I encouraged people who drove rv's to contact DPW at the end of the week and ask that they "top off" their storage tank with feces from porta potties. The funniest part was that returning Burners were more than glad to help out. Teeheehee

Crackle
crackle

Whew!!...

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:58 pm

smellelly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:08 pm

The worst pottie incident I witnessed happened in 98. There was a major wind storm, short lived, but the speeds it reached were incredible. I was sitting in the back of my vehicle, which was rocking back and forth pretty good by the wind. I happened to be camped across from a potty cluster, and watched one of the potties get tipped over as a result of the storm.

My initial reaction was "I hope no one is in there!" Just then the wind seemed to subside so I got out of my bus to investigate. A few other people got there ahead of me and my worst fears were confirmed. The Pottie had flipped on its door side and as soon as these guys flipped it back up to right , a poor girl opened the door and walked out crying.

Some other helpful citizens came to her rescue, dumping buckets of water on her, trying to clean her off as much as possible.

I can't even imagine how many showers it took her to feel "clean" again.
Chai Guy

Postby III » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:10 pm

david apocalypse dislocated an arm in his efforts to rescue someone from a tipping potty...
III

Postby Raheer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:29 am

The worst porta-potty incident I've been witness to didn't actually happen at BM, but at an SCA event in Oregon. My fiance headed out to the washroom in the evening, and when she returned, I asked where her purse was. (She takes it with her because she stores her soapfree hand cleanser in it). When I asked her, she checked herself, and found that it wasn't with her, so she headed back to the washroom, where she found the purse -- in the toilet. Well, to make a long story short, she dove in to get it when she realized we had about $3,000 in it! The first use of which was buying a new gown to replace the one from the night before....

Raheer the (still!) disgusted
Politics. From the Latin poly, meaning 'many', and the Modern English ticks, meaning 'blood-sucking parasites'....
Raheer

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:26 pm

Just found this picture-

Chai Guy

Postby Badger » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:15 pm

Emergency Raver beds?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Tipping potties

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:26 pm

Chai Guy wrote:Just found this picture-

From the looks of the street sign (Jupiter), this was 1999. It was a BAD year for wind, and the vendor hadn't strapped the pottie lines down. They know better now.

Beautiful picture, Chai. I'll keep it for the Pottie Archives.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Postby Lydia Love » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:12 pm

That was an *astounding* wind storm.

That year almost caused me to form a pottie phobia.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:26 am

Badger wrote:Emergency Raver beds?

/
LMAO

Another reason to carry my own pot.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Chai Guy » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:04 am

I'll keep it for the Pottie Archives

I love the fact that there is a "pottie archive" heehehee!
Chai Guy

great job poopman

Postby dj big E » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:49 pm

Nothing bad this year as a matter of fact i sought refuge in the porta potties a couple of times this year lmao once during wind storm and once to ditch campmates lmao.I believe this year was the first time we had potties out by the man those were great never a line i think u guys kicked ass and i can't wait to utilize you're potties this year :lol: dj big "E"
dj big E

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:03 am

The pots were not anything I looked froward to useing. They're placement was useful. With no moon this year I had some fear of "stepping" into one at night.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Lighting the potties

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:08 am

Last year there was a great deal of talk pre-playa about lighting the potties, to make it safe for late-night piddle sessions w/o landmines. If someone wants to light the potties nearby where they live as a public service, then FEEL FREEEEE! Candles suck, and so does incense. Cough, gag, choke! Affixing glow-thingies with wire ties is WAY cool.
robbidobbs

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:04 pm

On my way to lunch today I saw a porta-potty being lowered out of a building where construction is going on. It was a kind of wonderful sight. Made me think that it would be a fun art piece to have a crane dangling a porta-potty parked way out in the hinterlands. Not near any functional ones of course, to see if the pee-pee dance can be induced.

Or you could go Duchamps and install one upside down.
BlueBirdPoof

Re: Tipping potties

Postby sev » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:41 pm

robbidobbs wrote:
Chai Guy wrote:Just found this picture-

Beautiful picture, Chai. I'll keep it for the Pottie Archives.

if you're keeping attributions for pictures in the pottie archives, that picture is (c) 1999 Cheryl Trooskin.
sev

Participation is everything

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:12 pm

Thank you for the citation. Cutsey-pastey, and the photographer (etc) becomes the filename! The Computer is your friend. I LOVE citing my sources!

RobbiDobbs clear
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
"I'm so full of shit, *I* don't believe a word I say!"
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy