Plug & Play/Turnkey Camping

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Plug & Play/Turnkey Camping

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Eric wrote:If you surround yourself with video monitors, get drunk, and play every video on those monitors at full blast at the same time, while having someone use a fan to blow talcum powder at you, you still aren't getting the real feeling of being there, but cleaning up the mess might give you a good idea of what it's like to break-down camp, especially if you can make it over 90° while you do it. :lol:

Breaking down camp is when I get the most sun of the entire week. :lol: For whatever reason, I'm very hit and miss about the sunscreen on the last day.

There might be some self-destructive wish to make sure the event really shows on me when I get home . . . as if the bike pedal scrapes, missing cuticles & thrashed voice are not enough.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm determined to make 2014 as plug & play as possible for myself. I hate setup and hate teardown more. I wanna roll to a stop, back the Yacht off the trailer, and be in business.
Setting up my truck and trailer well enough for it to be that easy on the playa means a lot more work here at home. Everyone does that to some degree, I want to do it to the point that camp set-up means applying the park brake, and teardown means releasing it!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby BBadger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:41 am

Bless wrote:I saw this video a while ago while browsing on YouTube and wanted to share it but couldn't find it again. Luckily, the good folks at burners.me posted it recently. The quintessential plug'n'play experience?

Play the video without any audio and it looks like every other Burning Man video you'll find on Youtube. On-playa you'd never know the difference between the turnkey people and everyone else.

Captain Goddammit wrote:I'm determined to make 2014 as plug & play as possible for myself. I hate setup and hate teardown more. I wanna roll to a stop, back the Yacht off the trailer, and be in business.

I think everyone is trying to make their experience more plug-and-play. Hell, the entire camping-gear industry is centered around that very goal; you don't need an RV.

Turnkey camps are fine too. I'll take them over insufferable Burner Puritans any day. At least turnkey members are concentrating on their own burn, rather than babbling on in fits of self-righteous indignation about "participation" or "tourists" or whatever.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby ranger magnum » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:40 pm

How about a plug-n-play turkey camp?
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Feathers.....

Feathers....
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:09 pm

As the topic continues to float around and I continue to think about it, the issue really isn't about how posh a camp is, or what kind of amenities that it offers... it's about what the campmates are doing with themselves once they're on the playa, and whether or not their new members get acculturated and have a genuine Burning Man experience of their own (as opposed to some kind of detached tourist).

What Bbadger said is right - I think most burners are looking for ways to make their experience in the desert more comfortable. Vilifying people (and camps) because they're doing it much more comfortably than you seems silly, and a little petty. If you're respecting the environment and your neighbors, I say be as posh and comfortable as you and your campmates want to be. Whether it's pitching in to build the camp or working on some other big art project, just remember that participation is a big part of the experience and it's up to you to help your new campmates to a) have a great experience and b) learn the core values.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby vargaso » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:26 am

Savannah wrote:
Eric wrote:If you surround yourself with video monitors, get drunk, and play every video on those monitors at full blast at the same time, while having someone use a fan to blow talcum powder at you, you still aren't getting the real feeling of being there, but cleaning up the mess might give you a good idea of what it's like to break-down camp, especially if you can make it over 90° while you do it. :lol:

Breaking down camp is when I get the most sun of the entire week. :lol: For whatever reason, I'm very hit and miss about the sunscreen on the last day.

There might be some self-destructive wish to make sure the event really shows on me when I get home . . . as if the bike pedal scrapes, missing cuticles & thrashed voice are not enough.

Same here. I'm super cautious about sunscreen all week, and then blow it during tear down almost every year. And it's not due to being over tired because I never "party" on my last night and am usually in bed by 10.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby xhoosier » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:46 pm

My simple input is
1) If you buy the tickets on the open market then you can do anything you want to with them.
2) You have no special privileges provided by the BORG than others then that is wonderful
3) Your camp mates are burners only if they experiences the same hardships as other camps
4) If you put up barriers and assign ID tags and don't allow non-camp mates into the camps then they are missing out on 90% of what BM is all about
5) Great if you provide meals and porta pottys for your camp. We can all do this if we have the funds
6) You only experience what BM is all about if you have to deal with the heat, hardships, personal interactions, long drive in and long drive out and must fend for yourself each day!!!

What else can I say. I have met some P&P folks who were great but I have also met with some P&P folks who were nothing more than pampered tourist and they had no clue what this was all about. It is not nude people, possible drugs and sex, big fires and dancing all night.
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Elorrum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:30 pm

I see the people who pay for their provided on playa amenities as being at least in a straight forward, even personal, dynamic with their camp organizers, versus some who ask, even expect, the greater unknown community to bring their trailer, their hexayurt parts, or to pitch-in to their kickstarter for their personal camp party barge etc. (I guess it depends on the day of the week what I'll be taking exception to.) Just get there. Once people are there, then they can be infected with the righteous virus.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:38 pm

I have no words...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gaminwench » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:49 am

please, no righteous virus ...

(Is there a vaccine?)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:34 am

xhoosier wrote:3) Your camp mates are burners only if they experiences the same hardships as other camps

There are quite a few camps, with varying levels of "hardship." Some people live out of unsheltered tents. Others out of their cars. Some people essentially hitch-hiked to attend. On the other side of the spectrum are those who drive in RVs, or set up hex yurts, or maybe even bring mid-range creature comforts like monkey huts. Some people use black shade cloth, others use white. Some use aluminet. Some use tarps. Some people shower every day, or have air-conditioning. Some people even camp closer to the bathrooms for toilet convenience. Some people pay other camp mates to bring infrastructure via dues (gee is that turnkey camping too?).

So what is this "same hardship" standard you're pushing to be considered a true burner?

4) If you put up barriers and assign ID tags and don't allow non-camp mates into the camps then they are missing out on 90% of what BM is all about

Um, no? Unless you're setting up some sort of event or service, it's not really "all about" letting strangers into your camp.

6) You only experience what BM is all about if you have to deal with the heat, hardships, personal interactions, long drive in and long drive out and must fend for yourself each day!!!

I'm not sure if the "refugee experience" is really what BM is all about. I'm thinking it only has to do with those things if that's what you get out of attending BM.

What else can I say. I have met some P&P folks who were great but I have also met with some P&P folks who were nothing more than pampered tourist and they had no clue what this was all about. It is not nude people, possible drugs and sex, big fires and dancing all night.

Sounds like a pretty standard assessment of burners in general.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby unjonharley » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:13 am

Sounds to me like some one went into brain lock... On how others were getting it..
Became so brain locked that getting it was missed by them.. The op just don't get it..
unjonharley

Postby 5280MeV » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 am

gaminwench wrote:please, no righteous virus ...

(Is there a vaccine?)

My experience is that building stuff and burning it down is the vaccine. I did that and found it to be extremely helpful.

Stopped caring what other people were doing when the sculpture went up. Forgot what it was that I was supposed to "get" when it burned down. A while back ago in this thread I said sarcastically, "Burn however you like, or call whatever you want burning." Now I am ready to say it sincerely.

A+++ Highly Recommend. Would burn again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from that, I think that the core issue is poorly framed. Camp amenities are not the key issue - hiring servants is the key issue. I read the principles as written and I don't see how you can call that "decommodification". You have a relationship between two people in the event - a social environment - which is clearly mediated by the commercial transaction of one person being previously paid to muddle that mint and mix that mojito.

But this is none of my business. No one is vending. No one is advertising to me. I don't have any ID or invitation to enter the camp, and I didn't pay anyone to muddle that mint and mix that mojito. If I did get invited in and felt weird about the paid bartender, I can just politely finish up, thank everyone, make some comment about how nice the camp looks, and move on.

The burn is an opportunity to do whatever it is that I want/need to do. That is burning.

If there is an RV wall somewhere around 6:30, then I think that I need to figure out how that could possibly present a problem to me over at 9:00 before I start bitching about it.

In any case, I will come back to this thread in another year when I will likely have a totally different opinion about it. It's an interesting conundrum.
5280MeV

Postby Casanova » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:24 pm

A plug n play camp and a camp for newbies share the same qualities, I run one of these camps and did not realize it was considered a plug n play, some people just don't have the funds to buy a kitchen and shade structures and everything else so they pay a small camp due, and the whole camp buys it and share it, is that wrong?

I think the solution to this problem is to assign camp roles.
Casanova

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Hellfire Society

Postby Casanova » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Sorry if that was a repeat, I am in the process of reading this thread
Casanova

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Hellfire Society

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:55 pm

I tend to think of a plug and play as a camp that provides all amenities such as water, food, meals prepared even, tent, shade, shelter, etc for those that just pay to come and stay with no thought of participation. Having camp dues to help out for infrastructure, in my mind is not plug and play.

but whatever floats your boat
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm putting a fork in this one. It was quite the hot topic in 2012 during the kerfuffle and there are many pages of heated argument and discourse - some of it wonderful. But after lived its natural life and lived longer than it needed to, the replies are often completely disconnected with the years-old comments from people who may no longer be active on the board, and often just incite more arguing.

For more on Burning Man's Turnkey Camping Guidelines, please see this Burning Blog post.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy